Undertale’s Patch Is Full of Secrets

For most games, patch notes that read “Updated on Steam to fix bugs and increase compatibility” would be a nonstarter. Ignorable. Useless.

But Undertale [official site] is not most games. More importantly, Undertale’s community is not like most communities. And thus Undertale’s Patch 1.001 bug fixes and increased compatibilities have been picked apart over the last couple days to reveal secret spaghetti or other such nonsense. Spoilers ahead.

Most of the changes are just small dialogue tweaks and stat changes, but one seemingly-insignificant encounter has Undertale fans clamoring. Here, I’ll let you look at it:

The gist: You know Sans? Fat skeleton? Follows you around? In Sans’s lab there are some drawers. Talking to a certain character (Clamgirl) now unlocks new descriptive text for the first drawer—a photo of three people with the words “Don’t forget” scrawled on the back.

There are two prevailing theories. First (and most boring) is that the picture is of Sans, Papyrus, and Clamgirl. More interesting is the “It’s Gaster!” theory. Gaster, if you’re unaware, is a hidden character in Undertale—and, the theory goes, the lost brother of Sans and Papyrus.

Listen: Delving into the weirder side of Undertale is a bit like stumbling into one of those conspiracy rooms you see on TV, pictures tacked to the wall with bits of twine strung up between them like a game of Cat’s Cradle gone wrong. Everything has meaning. Everything is important.

But the point is, people think Toby Fox is dropping little bits of Gaster into the game, one piece at a time. The new patch also makes it so a previously-hidden room, accessible only by manipulating the game’s files, now has an infinitesimally small chance of appearing during a normal game—further legitimizing the whole Gaster saga.

I can’t wait for Patch 1.002, wherein “Small bug fixes” turns out to be an entirely new Gaster-centric game, accessible only by turning around clockwise six times and then shoving microwaved spaghetti into your eye sockets.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

FhnuZoag says:

Heh heh. The fact that Burgerpants x Nice cream guy is now slightly more canon is what has my heart a-flutter.

Though I suspect what’s most important is that the game is now more colour-blind friendly.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I just fell down a Wikiwell. Holy shiy this game is a lot more complex than I thought.

3. Dominic Tarason says:

Toby has recently confirmed that his next project is an Undertale-related game – it was the very last stretch goal of the kickstarter, even.

All we know about at this point: ‘Its very nature is shrouded in darkness’.

4. Gap Gen says:

Wosh u code

5. Rhodokasaurus says:

If we’re going to keep posting about every little thing that has ever happened to Undertale I feel compelled to keep commenting that I hate it and it sucks (and you suck if you like it).

Good luck refuting THAT, suckers.

• Masterful says:

Dude, don’t slam/read articles if you don’t like X thing. Nobody cares about your opinion, you can share it wherever you want but don’t think it makes you special.
      One last thing, you can’t refute subjective points.
      If you feel X I can’t say you don’t feel X. That’s not how logic works.
      TL;DR Stop begging for attention and saying stupid things.

• SickBubblegum says:

I know right. I don’t want to be rude, but he seems like the type of person that hates games solely because their popular.

• jrodman says:

Is this like one of those “there condusive beech” kind of posts?

• Gap Gen says:

You and the other monsters ditch Rhodokasaurus

• Rhodokasaurus says:

One vaguely tongue-in-cheek comment bogs the majority of the comments section down in utter garbage replies. Couldn’t ask for anything better on an Undertale post. Fanbase representin’!

• Yglorba says:

You do it every time the game comes up, though; and your posts are nearly zero-content at this point, just expressing how strongly you feel about the game rather than saying anything new or meaningful. I mean, why? Lots of people don’t like such-and-such a popular game, yet you (and a lot of other people) keep crawling out of the woodwork to tell everyone how much they dislike Undertale every time it came up. Your tastes aside, it’s one of the most acclaimed games in recent memory, so it’s not a surprise that RPS would talk about it a lot; just skip over those articles and read something about the games that are more to your taste.

Just follow this advice, right?

• GGtheweegee says:

If that is true then would you say the same thing to a positive comment?

• Geebs says:

Easy, Oscar.

• Blad the impaler says:

Why did you hate it?

• Fomorian1988 says:

I think he hasn’t even played it. In one of the Undertale related posts someone with a Papyrus avatar replied to one of his tantrums by saying that he must hate that avatar – and he expressed lack of recognition.

What a baby.

• Fomorian1988 says:

Truly, two posts in the last couple of weeks is way too much for you to handle.

You seem like someone who’d PM people with Star Wars The Force Awakens spoilers. You know, someone who’s friendless, unloved and hungry for any attention.

Good luck refuting THAT, sucker.

• jrodman says:

P.S. Han Solo turns out to be a secret agent for the Hutt consortium.

• Gap Gen says:

Wosh u mouth

Green means clean

Oakreef says:

Two posts about Undertale in the space of three weeks! When will this torrential outpouring of Undertale content on RPS end!

Hell when Undertale was RPS’s game of the month it got a grand total of one article about it that month. Compared to, say, Fallout 4 Undertale has barely been covered on this site.

• roguewombat says:

I give your argument at least 2/5 stars.

• dethtoll says:

You know, when you have someone like me telling you to grow up, it means you dun goofed, boy.

6. monsieurZb says:

I find the cult following garnered by Undertale quite fascinating. I’m so utterly incapable of understanding where it’s coming from that it’s like watching extra-terrestrials enjoying a sitcom from Alpha Centaury.
    Not that I would want the game to fail or the following to fade away. I’m really happy for its success. But man, I REALLY don’t get it. Fascinating indeed.

• Toupee says:

I think it’s a c-c-c-c-combo of:

~ sharp writing — I started my second play-thru yesterday and I was honestly laughing out loud the entire time. And the pacing is great. You can beat the game in about 5 hours if you kill everything, but playing pacifist takes much longer. And there are (as the article hints) many many secrets and nuances sprinkled throughout.

~inversion of typical videogame/JRPG tropes — you really don’t have to kill anyone, but it took me an entire play-thru to figure that out. Yeah, I know, maybe I should watch a trailer or two.

~ insanely groovy music — the kind so good I linger around in an area before exiting just to hear a few more measures.

~ genuinely fun and unique gameplay — the battle system is more action-oriented than most “action” RPGs by infusing shoot-’em-up style movement/dodging directly into battles.

I would very simply say that it’s what I always wanted Earthbound to be. Even though that game looked like it had great writing and a cool story, I could never get into it because the battles were cut from the exact same cloth as any other Dragon Warrior clone. This is much, much different.

gritz says:

I especially liked how they inverted the trope of RPG exploration by making the entire game a linear path where you walk in a single direction. Groundbreaking stuff.

• Toupee says:

You’re not wrong, but I actually find it kind of refreshing. Not every game has to be an overwhelming sandbox world (which tend to be filled with underwhelming mechanics). I appreciate the straightforward-ness, and the variety complements the pacing. It’s the first game in a LONG time I finished the same day I started.

I don’t think a game being straightforward is a bad thing. Half-Life 2 is a very straightforward path, for instance. And in Undertale’s case, there are LOTS of decisions the player makes to create different outcomes.

• Phasma Felis says:

Hey, when can we stop pretending that being linear automatically and irretrievably makes a game bad? Super Mario Brothers was linear as fuck.

• Yglorba says:

Half-Life 2 was also super-linear. So were both Portals.

Generally speaking, there’s a degree of trade-off between telling a coherent story that moves at a decent pace, and linearity. Some games get around this by having a linear story with an open world you can wander around between story segments (gated by a mission structure or whatever), but that requires a lot of resources.

Most JRPGs are extremely linear, though. They often hide it to some extent by giving you an open world (where, inexplicably, only one important area opens up at a time, plus sometimes a side-area to do shopping in or the occasional sidequest), and sometimes they have points where the game opens up to let you do a lot of sidequests at once. But the core structure tends to be linear with a small number of sidequests plus a limited ability to choose the order you do them in.

• Shazbut says:

As a member of this cult, I truly sympathise. I had the same thing with Radiohead.

Please do not talk to me about Radiohead

• Rhodokasaurus says:

Don’t overthink it, man. Do you dress up for comic conventions? Do you wait in line for new Pokemon even though you’re in your 30s? Do you watch Pewdiepie and Markiplier videos?

Do you want to be in that demographic?

• GWOP says:

Those damn kids with their Undertales and conventions and Undertale convensions! Gerroff m’lawn!

*shakes fist*

• Palkinator89 says:

I honestly don’t understand why you’re on this page there buddy. I mean, this is an Undertale page kiddo. And is there something wrong with watching youtubers friend? You’ve also never been to a convention of any kind, have you bucko? Look, I respect your opinion there, but you went out of your way to find a spot where you would be annoying people. I mean look. Our reports showed a massive anomaly of positive comments jumping left and right, up and down. Until suddenly, all that ends. Heh heh.. that’s your doing isn’t it? Hey Rhodokasaurus? Do us a favor and just leave. Or to put it another way…

Do you wanna have a bad time?

• dethtoll says:

I feel the same way. I think it’s just that I’m old. It might also depend on whether you like or could have liked Earthbound.

7. Tykiari says:

I must’ve missed something, wasn’t the popular Ghaster Theory that Ghaster is the FATHER of sans and Papyrus?

8. Blortias says:

What about Game theory. Matt’s video on undertale being a continuation of earthbound. Toby Fox did do a Halloween hack for Earthbound also, so maybe sans Is supposed to be ness and papyrus a [starman(or whatever you call them)]. he even went over the picture you find in the first drawer.