What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

It’s difficult to believe there are only 337 shopping days until Christmas! I had planned to tell you ‘on this day in history…’ trivia, picking some really tedious stuff and trying to find an exciting angle on it, but apparently January 23rd is historically very bleak. Maybe that’s just history for you. Anyway! Here’s what we’re all playing this weekend. How about you?

Adam: American Truck Simulator. I’ve set up my headquarters in Vegas, which may have been a mistake. Praying that the “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” doesn’t apply to manufactured goods because that is a troubling logo for a freight company.
Alec: If enough stars align I’ll be making Lara Craft shoot arrows into people’s faces, depending on whether code for Rise of the Tomb Raider arrives before the weekend. Failing that I’m going to try and convince somebody to let me in on the Torment beta (I didn’t back it because ethics, and also skintness). Failing that… Well, someone lobbed me their spare copy of Until Dawn on PS4, and I can’t pretend I don’t dig the idea of getting odious rich-kid college students murdered by wandering psychopaths. And in the game.
Alice: I’m nearing the end of XCOM: Enemy Within again, not at all bothered that Adam has an XCOM 2 preview build and I don’t, but I might take a break to appreciate the planet I’m saving. I need to see what I’m fighting for. I need to travel around and take it all in. I need to… drive around north California in a honking great truck, honking.
Graham: I shall be playing the wonderful game of rearranging my house and packing up rooms, but I’ve also installed Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, Oxenfree and the new Homeworld. Installing games is as good as playing them.
John: [For once, I know exactly where John is: he is trapped inside a video game. Reader ‘Andrew’ explained last weekend, “I started playing Dragon’s Dogma (I fiddled with it on PS3 before, but never finished) and named my main pawn John (or Jon if you online and sweary filter is on). So, clearly, John is not playing anything, he’s annoying me with his squeaky voice!” That’s definitely our John! Keep your sightings coming, gang.]
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing “writing a presentation”. I might also indulge in a spot of “popping on Twitter and feeling smug that I already did my tax return”. Other than that I honestly don’t think I will fit in much PC gaming. Maybe some mobile funtimes though. I might have a little explore of what’s new on the Android app store.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. lowprices says:

Finishing my second playthrough of Steamworld Heist. It’s so good I started replaying it on a higher difficulty without planning to, and I can see that continuing.

Also Sunless Sea. It’s a flawed game, but I’ve grown to love it. It’s mostly the weird and wonderful stories you find on the islands, but I’m even enjoying the sailing. It’s uneventful enough to be slightly dull, but the frailty of your ship and the clumsy combat adds a slice of survival horror tension that makes the whole thing very appealing to me.

Thulsa Hex says:

Heist is lovely. I had guests over Christmas, so not much proper (video) gaming time, but I was able to sneak in a hour here and there with the 3DS. It’s perfect for handheld, so the PC release will be interesting! I think it should go down well, here.

2. ran93r says:

Dumped 18 hours or so in to Dragon’s Dogma so far and have probably caught up with where I was on the console version (which is to say, not very far at all). Will probably have a bash on that again later.
    Trying out a few different vocations but it’s hard to resist the call of the Assassin.

3. melnificent says:

Elder scrolls Online. I fancied something MMOish and although the healing is different (not bad, just different) I’ve been having a blast.

particlese says:

A couple friends and I decided to run around as healing minion-sorcerers a while ago, and I think I’m slowly getting the hang of this active healing thing (I’m generally pretty awful at it). The three of us did a group dungeon the other night and had great fun, and I didn’t even die much. In the meantime, I’ve worked my way up to the second minion, so time for another run!

4. nanotramp says:

T.I.M.E. Stories, playing through the new medieval story, I am stoked!

5. HuvaaKoodia says:

Mount & Blade: Warband – Viking Conquest Reforged Edition.

I need something to pass the time with before Bannerlord comes out. It’s also pretty stable now; I’ve encountered no critical bugs so far.

6. Jac says:

Picked until dawn up recently. Was surprisingly brilliant in a way, well worth a run through.

Will be getting round to hearts of stone for witcher 3 (inspired by the excellent recent article on here with the developer) and maybe the wolf among us interspersed with some FIFA16 ultimate team until I smash my gamepad in a fit of rage as Peter crouch dribbles round my entire team 15 times before scoring.

7. Awesomeclaw says:

I’ve been playing some Diablo 3 since the new season started. I also gave Elite another go recently and have been kind of enjoying my time. It’s extremely slow to start but flying around trading makes for a good podcast game.

Carra says:

Haven’t played Diablo 3 in two years so decided to restart it. Getting my seasonal templar to level 70, it’s fun!

• Nasarius says:

Witch Doctor with Helltooth is working a lot better than I expected. It’s not quite the interesting pet-based build I’d like (no fetishes involved), but it is very effective. Cleared GR60 after 30 hours of fairly casual play. Having fun with that.

I’m trying to make a thorns-based Crusader as well, but finding those initial set items is such a dull slog.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Trying to make a twister/disintegrate firebird mage build work, i’m at GR59 so far because the Compass Rose set thingy never drops, and Kadala hates me.

I like the insane sinergy you can get with the right items, but it’s a pain sometimes to get that particular one that might push you into another 15+ GR levels.

• Nasarius says:

The worst part is when you need a particular weapon for a build. Because then it also needs to be an ancient with high damage rolls. Basically impossible to get, unless you just keep using that cube recipe which takes 50 forgotten souls.

8. Unsheep says:

Continuing my playthrough of Star Trek 25th Anniversary, everytime I start playing it I’m amazed at the voice-acting, all these great and iconic actors in one game.

Trying to finish Dead State, that game is much longer than I anticipated, not that I’m complaining. Keeping morale up has proven to be the most challenging element in the game, not the actual combat and survival stuff.

Hopefully I’ll make some progress in Men of War, the first game in the series. Last time I played I was infiltrating a German camp, planting mines like some crazy person.

I dedicate Sundays to my racing games, I have a whole bunch of them going right now. I’m definitely in the mood for some Gran Turismo.

I recently bought some extra car and track packs during the RaceRoom Racing Experience sale, the guys formerly known as Simbin. I haven’t had the time to really sit down and try out the new stuff, so I’ll do that as well. I’m amazed at how well my oldish PC can handle these sim games.

9. Pich says:

replaying Darks SOuls 1 after bouncing off HARD from dark souls II

• klo3 says:

DaS2 kind of makes you want to replay DaS1 doesn’t it.

I’m currently at Heide’s (playing it for the first time) still stubbornly refusing to consume an human effigy. Will probably continue for a while but kind of not enjoying it so far.

Heide’s is visually nice but overall the game is of far lower quality than DeS, DaS or BB.

Thulsa Hex says:

I sort of feel the same. It doesn’t draw you in half as much. I started playing back when Scholar of the First Sin came out, in an attempt to mitigate the lack of Bloodborne in my life (no PS4), but I stopped maybe half-way through. It’s competent but just doesn’t have the same impact. Just before I stopped playing, I defeated a boss and the game was like, “YOU KILLED ONE OF THE MAIN STORY BOSSES, YAY!” and my response was, “What? Really?” I had no idea of the supposed gravity of the situation going in, so it fell completely flat. Much different than the anxiety involved when you know you’re about to confront Gravelord Nito for the first time, for example (even though, he turned out to be relatively easy).

I think I basically stopped when I visited a friend for a week and played his copy of Bloodborne. It immediately felt… perfect. The same kind of instinctive “this is something special” that came with DS1. I hope I get to play BB fully some day.

10. Pretzelcoatl says:

More FFXIV – the addiction has returned.

It’s also a fiver on steam at the mo, but if anyone’s interested in a free trial, drop me a PM with your email!

11. caff says:

I thought I was going to be playing Darkest Dungeon but after a few hours with it, it really irritated me. The hunger mechanic drove me nuts – after fully feeding my party to heal them (making them all full), I instantly get a “hunger” event. Ridiculous. That and it’s so bloody depressing. So as much as I appreciate the style, it’s not for me.

I’ve picked up Stasis (40% off on Steam) and am enjoying that so far.

And there will be Rocket League, because Rocket League.

• Kitsunin says:

The hunger mechanic is really simple, but I guess I can see how it might not be completely intuitive: Food staves off hunger events, and if you’ve bought plenty, can be used for a bonus when camping. It can also be used to heal in a pinch, but that’s a horrible idea unless you have considerable excess.

Personally, I’ve found DD more fun than I expected. It’s pretty dang repetitive, but makes for a nice podcast game.

Also, why the farking hell are they calling it a roguelike? I am totally in the camp which is cool with broadening the term’s meaning, but DD is clearly a management game, not a bloody Roguelike…I guess it’s more roguelike than Rogue Legacy at any rate which doesn’t have any kind of mechanical permadeath…grumble grumble.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Rouge Legacy didn’t have any kind of “Legacy” to it either. It just gave you a choice of three characters with random perks/quirks to them in between plays. I was really hoping for a system that at least created the illusion of genetics.

beneclickus says:

After being fairly fatigued by Fallout 4 and all its samey-same, I’m going to continue my run with Assasin’s Creed Rogue. I miss exploring desert islands and cruise through frozen sea with my humble ship. Penguins!

Also continuing with my other well equipped rogue in Pillars of Eternity. Next is White March Pt. 1.

13. Mcshufts says:

Trying to get Jedi Knight running on Windows 10. Only had a quick look at it last night when pissed. It showed the intro but crashed loading the game.

14. Todd Hawks says:

Isaac, Starward Rogue and Darkest Dungeon. And of course the waiting-for-The-Witness-and-for-XCOM-2-game.

15. dangermouse76 says:

Civ IV. I got into Civ via V so it will be interesting to see how the previous iteration pans out.

Also I have a friend coming over for the weekend ( as I have committed the heinous crime of moving out of Edinburgh to the countryside ) so any couch co-op recommendations are most welcome.
    Have a fun weekend fellow – uh – shoguns ?

• JuergenDurden says:

double dragon neo, guacamelee, screen cheat

• icarussc says:

My mates and I do couch co-op almost exclusively. Our top three:

1. Rocket League
      2. Towerfall: Ascension
      3. Gang Beasts

We bounced off of Screencheat. After we’d been playing for about an hour, we were chattering about a great kill I’d gotten and one of the other guys goes, “Wait, wait … everyone’s invisible? I — I thought I just couldn’t find you.” There was so much laughter and mockery … good times.

16. Kitsunin says:

After being shunned from the gathering and the date I had planned for this weekend, I have much more time to game than I expected! Yay.

I wanted to play Warframe with my friends across the sea since they’ve just decided to dig back into it, but it seems I’ve been randomly banned, aw yeah!

So The Sims 4 has been my mildly depressing way to cope with social dissatisfaction. It’s pretty ‘aight, I dig the mood system. Darkest Dungeon will go alongside my podcasts, and I’ll probably dig into the ever-lovely Dragon Quest Heroes again, too.

• Kitsunin says:

RE Darkest Dungeon, I think it’s balanced pretty well right now. A lot of stuff seemed stinky when it was first patched in (corpses were an annoying roadblock, heart attacks just turned stress into health bar #2) but they work really nicely now.

Heart attacks are a necessary mechanic, I think. Afflictions stink, but they aren’t that bad, and I think if they were worse it could just be an annoying slog dealing with them. Heart attacks didn’t fit before, coming close to 200 stress meant you had to make a too-simple decision: Do I abandon the quest, or let someone die? Now that they bring you to death’s door, it makes for yet another tricky push-your-luck type situation, and is meaningfully different than the health bar.

Corpses, likewise, are actually pretty cool: There are loads of ways to manipulate them, and I’ve never had them get in the way of more than a single action.

Other things they’ve changed I find feel similarly about, for example punishments for taking too long have never impacted me, but I think it’s good they are there so I’m not tempted to sit there healing turn after turn (but heals still get to be fairly powerful).

• Kitsunin says:

Well Warframe responded to my ticket and unbanned my account 12 hours after I made it. Suspicious activity and all that, hm. Well, good on them for a reasonably quick response.

• DevilishEggs says:

Ouch, that sucks. Hope you’re able to have fun in Gaming Land anyway.

• Kitsunin says:

To be fair, it’s because it’s so cold nobody wants to do anything. Still a bummer, I always feel restless during weather like this, but apparently Summer is the season for doing things…when it’s hot so you don’t want to do anything for fear of overheating?

17. Fuzzyaardvark says:

I always loved Pang, so I have been playing Bug Butcher a lot. I am horribly stuck on level 30.

And the rest of the time I am having fun with Darkest Dungeon. Not sure fun should really be in that sentence.

18. popej says:

Grim Dawn for me. It’s good to have The One True (!) skill tree system back from Titan Quest.

• ran93r says:

Oooh, that reminds me that I should go and play some more of that!

19. Bostec says:

Dark Souls 2. I have hit the biggest wall. I started on the DLC and its not a wall, its a steel encased diamond encrusted road block of stop. The 2 sword boss has two many swords and then that happens. I think precise rolls are required and I hate precise rolling. And then the smelther demon 2.0 is just bullshit, I hate that boss in the original game and then they go and slap it in again and make it harder. Back to the main game for a bit.

Mad max. More mechanics(har) and upgrades then you can shake a shitty stick at. Lovely looking game too.

Grizzly says:

I’m playing a bit of Revenge of the Titans as I am currently on Saturn. Also a bit of the Last Roman campaign for Attila, cK2, whatever racing game strikes my fancy (Currently attention is evenly split between R3E, RFactor 2 and Dirt Rally). And I’ll be diving into those Endless Day things.

21. dethtoll says:

skyrim skyrim skyrim skyrim skyrim SKYRIM

22. Vacuity729 says:

I bought a new rig earlier this week and this weekend will be the coldest weather we’ve had for something like ten years, so I’m planning to stay indoors as much as possible.
    I’m especially looking forward to playing Rome II which used to be essentially unplayable (in more than one sense).
    I also instabought Starward Rogue when I saw it was out, so with any luck, I’ll get around to some of that, too.

• Kitsunin says:

Do you live in Taiwan? We’re having ten year record lows this weekend here, too (??)

• Vacuity729 says:

Oh, my! Are you in Taipei? Possible snow forecast in Yangming national park tonight on Qixing and Datun peaks.

• Kitsunin says:

Hsinchu, here! Same exact weather, it’s so weird having it get this cold that I keep expecting all the shops to be closed.

• Vacuity729 says:

Ahh, Hsinchu. Not so far away. :)
            This cold feels pretttttty unpleasant in a country with no double glazing, no central heating and little functional insulation. Brrrrrr!
            I really hope it’s not as cold as this again at Chinese New Year when all the shops really are closed.

• Kitsunin says:

And the humidity! Lucky subtropics, all the extremes get to feel twice as bad!

• Vacuity729 says:

Well, Taipei went nuts over the snow on the mountains, predictably. Meanwhile, I’ve tried to find reasons to be anywhere other than wrapped up in my bed. And largely failed.
            As awesome as Starward Rogue is, it’s not enough to force me into the cold for prolonged periods. Roll on Tuesday with temperatures up to 17C.

23. GernauMorat says:

Darkest Dungeon, which I’ve found surprisingly excellent, and the new Homeworld!

24. BananaGX says:

Good old Rayman 3. Some Europa Universalis IV.
    Trove maybe. And I should try this Undertale thingy

25. Herzog says:

Same as last week. Finishing chapter 8 in Dead Space. Trying to plant explosives on the backside of an asteroid while in vacuum. Failed a few times already, let’s see if I can make it finally.

Also Downwell. This weekend: finish stage 3 and instafail in stage 4.

26. Ashabel says:

I have just finished The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human twice. The first time was the actual playthrough during which I was excited to explore the game, but eventually left with some disappointment because while the game world’s ambiance is amazing and a lot of the boss fights are really fun, the story degrades into embarrassing garbage by the time it’s finished. The finale being extremely predictable is one thing, it’s another for the final boss’s dialogue to immersion-breaking levels of preposterously stupid.

I still recommend it for the gameplay flow, which is best compared to Super Metroid and Shadow of the Colossus. It captures the melancholy, isolation and sense of wonder that those two had. Which is why I’m going to truck on despite my disappointment with the story and complete the Boss Rush and Hardcore difficulty mode for a complete achievement set.

Other than that, I’ll be reading a really good steampunk visual novel about Nikola Tesla as a lightning-wielding superhero.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve been really interested in Aquatic Blah Blah Blah since its release but have been waiting for some reviews to come in before buying.

You are saying it’s good though? The bosses sound like they can get frustrating. How does saving in the game work? Did you ever find yourself in that metroidvania purgatory of “what the hell do I do now?”

• Ashabel says:

It’s pretty good for as long as you can forgive it some awkward design decisions and a story that does just about everything wrong (grammatical errors in text, bullheaded focus on the main plot thread that detracts from it feeling like a living world of its own, a villain who is completely incoherent).

There is no world map, but not knowing what to do never happened to me mostly because the world is actually pretty small; you can explore the whole game very quickly once you learn how all the areas connect together. The bosses can be frustrating when you tackle them for the first time, especially since most of them have at least one move that is guaranteed to insta-kill you, but all of them have clear patterns and weakness that you can find out by experimenting. The one exception is the Chain Gang, which I found to be immensely frustrating due to how it seems to depend on dumb luck. That particular boss consists of a giant shark accompanied by a huge swarm of smaller ones, and your ability to survive past the first 10 seconds seems to entirely depend on whether the smaller sharks’ AI gets them to surround you or not.

It does have some bugs (the hitbox on one part of the final boss’s body doesn’t correspond to its sprite, plus some people had their games bug out really strangely on a greater scale), as well as some really redundant endgame achievements. But those can be forgiven because the game is really beautiful and immersive whenever it learns to shut up.

I mostly appreciate it for going in a different direction from pretty much all recent Metroidvanias. These days, most of those either focus on speedrunning (Ori and the Blind Forest) or on number-based mechanics (Castlevania). Aquatic Adventure wants to be a personal experience, so it makes space for the player to stop, take a deep breath and appreciate the world around them.

27. lglethal says:

I mentioned two weeks ago that I would be replaying some old games just to try and finish them off before the parts for my new rig arrived. They duly did and I spent last weekend assembling said rig, installing Windows, and then KABOOM! Bye bye PSU. :(
    So this weekend will again be spent replaying old games whilst I wait for the replacement PSU to arrive at my door. I guess a dodgy PSU can happen even to the best brands (mine was a Be Quiet! PSU) but its still disappointing to have it happen, and the waiting for a new one to find out if the PSU at least did its job of protecting all the other equipment is paricularly painful. If my new GTX 970 went up in smoke as well, I am going to be PISSSSEEDDDDDDDD! ;)

So i guess a bit of Endless Space, maybe some Watch_Dogs, or Rome 2, or maybe ill start a new Mass Effect run. I dont know. I want my new PC… :(

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, some could say that brand isn’t exactly stellar either, i tend to buy something that is Seasonic or at least rebranded, like Corsair, and some of the best models can power your 970 and a beefy overclock CPU even with just a measly 500 watt rating, so i’d always suggest less watts and more quality.

Good PSUs and motherboards are also great if you have an external DAC connected via USB. You get a lot of shit in the signal on most computers, and even if the data is digital ( 0 and 1 ) it still is trasmitted as a square wave, any mess in that and the wave gets distorted and you lose temporal coherence even with an asynchronous clock generator.

With some you can even hear clicks produced by the mouse tracking, the CPU dinamically changing clock and voltage, so on a so forth!

• Spakkenkhrist says:

My 4 year old Be Quiet PSU died on me at the start of the year.

• lglethal says:

Well as luck would have it, my new PSU arrived this morning. Plugged it in and all working fine, replaced with absolutely no hassles or complaints so Be Quiet have that advantage. See how it goes on the long run, but now I can start trying out some of my newer games with the graphics turned up to the maximum. Fun times ahead!!! ;)

john_silence says:

Oh man, I remember you were about to get the new PC 2 whole weeks ago, must’ve been agonising. And with a Be Quiet PSU no less, you’ve been most unlucky!

• caff says:

Can be painful when a part goes wrong at the start of a new PC build. My PSU died after 4 years the other week – replaced with a much quieter Corsair jobbie. Makes me realise now noisy the old one was!

28. JuergenDurden says:

shadow of mordor. i know i’m late to the party but up til now it always was too expensive, now i got the goty for about 12 bucks…. and that is exactly what this game is worth. i’m enjoying it in the exact same way i enjoyed the tomb raider reboot, both are shallow, gorgeous, hand-holdy, simple, have an utterly unengaging story and are great at pretending they have actual depth. also they’re great at making you feel like you’re THE MAN even though you’re barely doing anything fancier than playing a really simple version of a brawler/ shooter.

• Vacuity729 says:

From Bundlestars? That’s where I got my copy.

Actually, by the time I got powerful enough that I might feel like “the man”, the uruks had started talking about me as some nightmare figure. At the end of the day, I was, to them, a nightmare monster, and that’s pretty much how I played it; mercilessly brutalising and slaughtering everything in my way. It didn’t really make me feel good, but it was an interesting experience.

29. Xipheas says:

Natural Selection 2. I keep coming back to it, and it’s had some really good work done on out by the community dev team.
    Loads of new players too, which means I don’t seem as bad as a actually am!

30. Barberetti says:

Evochron Legacy. Already amassed a couple of million quid. I’ll have enough cash by this evening to do some serious upgrading to my ship then I’ll be off exploring the un-gated outer reaches of the galaxy. Also, I’ll be looking into some light modding for the game, at least to start with.

If I can manage to get out of my cockpit at some point, I’ll be checking out John Romero’s new Doom level.

• Blackcompany says:

Have you by chance tried it using a hotas setup? Wondering how it does.

Thanks.

• Barberetti says:

Nope, sorry. Custom setup, using 2 joysticks (one converted to a throttle) and some button pads made from an old keyboard.

31. Minglefingler says:

Pillars of Eternity. I played it last year and really enjoyed it but for some reason stopped and then decided I would wait for both expansions to be released before starting again. I’d read that the White March part 2 was out in January so I made a new character last week only to find out that the release date is actually 16th February so I may have jumped in a bit too early having waited all this time. Ah well. I also had a quick go at The Deadly Tower of Monsters last night, which despite my impressions of slightly underwhelming combat looks like it’ll be a lot of fun.

• geisler says:

You know the game is huge right (especially with the first expansion added)? Unless you play multiple hours a day i think the game will last you till pt. 2 release.

• Minglefingler says:

Yeah, I’m hoping that’s the case but I’m off work for a week in a few days and given the lovely weather at the moment I imagine I’ll playing quite a lot of Pillars when I’m not reading, hence my concern.

• Sarfrin says:

The combat is very basic but it’s a huge amount of fun. Giant gorillas, pterodactyls, robots, sometimes all at the same time. The tower itself is an interesting piece of design and you’re free,encouraged even, to leap off it at frequent intervals.

32. Blackcompany says:

I am playing Double Shifts in the IT command center: 2016 Blizzard edition. It’s repetitive, grindy and the rewards are mostly temporary buffs like free caffeine and sugar.

Later, I hope to get in some quiet Eurotruck driving. If I can get home with weekend left. But I am safe and warm, so there’s that.

33. Zach Fett says:

I’m hoping to finally play System Shock 2 tonight with my girlfriend, been trying to convince her to play it with me since we’ve never played it and I’m a huge Deus Ex fan (and we’re both big fans of the first Bioshock). Maybe I’ll successfully persuade her since tomorrow is my birthday and this can be her present to me.

Also been playing a lot of Subterrain, which is excellent and addicting. Spent 4 hours last night playing it nonstop.

Also also, I’ve gotten back into playing Brutal Doom occasionally, such a fun mod. I’m hoping the new Doom will be half as entertaining as BD, but after the alpha from a few months ago I’m a bit worried. But at least I’ll still have BD! The campaign “Starter Pack” the mod creator released the other month is damn good!

34. Grobmotoriker says:

Last year I was close to buy a PS4 for just one game, Bloodborne. Then I thought “calm down, thats just too nerdy and decadent old man”. This monday I stumbled into a Gamestop shop and saw the Uncharted collection bundle and bought it. I never had a PS3 so I haven´t played them. Bought used Bloodborne and The Last of us remastered and now it felt right. After beating the Cleric beast in the second try i felt like “I know the mechanics”,then Gascoigne taught me to feel humbled again… I tried that bastard 15-20 times last night and still haven´t beaten him.
    I was surprised that the addon is just 11€ cheap in the PSN Store right now, and Diablo 3 Ultimate 35€ and so on…
    Where the hell is that gonna end… I used to be PC orthodox! HELP!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Embrace the darkness.

• welverin says:

O.k., I’d recommend you pick up Tearaway Unfolded< maybe LittleBigPlanet 3 (it's probably the weakest in the series, but since you've never played one…), inFamous Second Son, and be prepared for Uncharted 4 in a few months.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Does Tokyo Jungle run on PS4s? If it does, buy Tokyo Jungle.

It is an arcade roguelite where you play as different species of animals in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo taken back by nature. It is the cat’s vagina.

35. Det. Bullock says:

Wing Commander Secret Missions 2 trying to get the good ending, until now while difficult it’s not as difficult as I remember, it’s just frustrating when you get nav points inside asteroid fields, wipe the entire sector without a scratch and then getting blown up by an asteroid that popped up right in front of you even when you were careful to slow down and change trajectory constantly is really infuriating.

I still have to find a practical way to program the throttle wheel however, I had to map the speed to the 4-way hat up/down.

36. aethervagrant says:

Underrail — and probably will be for a while. I’m glad I dont have access to the Torment beta, because I really want to finish this and Divinity:OS before it comes out. And both have turned into vastly longer games for me than Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 were.

37. cpt_freakout says:

Gonna finish up Shadowrun Hong Kong. I still think Dragonfall was the best of the bunch in terms of writing, but HK is pretty decent as well, and the companions are great. Anyway, that way I can move on to something else in my backlog!

38. Wobsey says:

Witcher 3 for all the orens. I’ve only made it to Velen at level 7 but witching has already consumed 30+ hours of my time. Fantastic stuff.

39. rahji says:

On my long way to 100% of Afterbirth, I will try to do some runs and reach mega satan. Due to RNG of the devil rooms I will probably lose interest pretty quick.

Started also Heavy Rain recently. So far nothing too drastic happened the first two hours. Also I don’t really like the controls.

40. Gomer_Pyle says:

I was thinking of having an RPG weekend, so maybe some Oblivion, Skyrim, Knights of Pen and Paper, and possibly KOTOR. I may also play some Rome II.

41. Phantasma says:

Dragon’s Dogma. Since release. To be honest i was on a serious binge, one so strong i haven’t had since my university days.

I could write ample about what it does wrong, but i don’t want to. Because it does so much right too.

And i surely didn’t expect how deep the underlying systems can be.
    Sometimes the game doesn’t tell you much but ultimately this is a good thing. I realised how much i grew accustomed to handholding in western (looking) RPGs.
    Tooltips could be a bit better though.

And i absolutely adore every inch of the world. Every location is distinct and memorable, a far cry from the hundreds of identikit dungeons in, say, Bethesda games.

It’s still a flawed gem but one that shines pretty bright.

And although i saw the story twist coming, the impact of its ferocity still was surprising.

Now i’m on my second playthrough and constantly perplexed how much i missed the first time and how deep the character system actually is.

Thulsa Hex says:

I want to play this so much since the lads on both Daft Souls (link to coolghosts.net) and Crate and Crowbar (link to crateandcrowbar.com) made it seem brilliant, but right now I’m waist-deep in Xenoblade Chronicles X, and there’s no way in hell I can justify another RPG right now.

I think I’m responding to XCX in a similar fashion, in that it’s most definitely flawed, but it’s so full of wonder that I don’t want to be too hard on it. The locations are the real star for me, so far — enormous, beautiful, and incredibly unique-looking. I cannot wait to be able to fly around them in a giant mech.

42. moms says:

Rocket League, probably.
    After months, and months and, yes, months.. I can now hit (and, when needed, even block) the ball, on a fairly regular basis.
    Actually, I’d rather be shooting zombies or Nazis, but, hey, I’m on a roll, so gotta go with it.

43. Dekion says:

A few hours into The Secret World. The main story is cool but I needed to grind a bit to cope with the bad guys solo. Also playing Tales from the borderlands – feels like a return to form after the underwhelming game of thrones.

44. Foosnark says:

Dirt Rally, and Firefall when I can dodge the bugs from the new patch.

45. Ben King says:

Life is Strange… does not quite feel like anything I would call a game that you “play” but I still guess I am “Playing” it… starting episode two. Later tonight heading to an annual D&D art show in Chicago called Leveleater 6.66 which is six tables of six players slaying one of six demons… 5th edition.

46. SpinalJack says:

I played some conflicks free weekend:

link to store.steampowered.com

Also grabbed the free copy of Bionic Dues earlier today.

ErraticGamer says:

Dragon’s Dogma, 8 hours so far and I just want to keep going. It’s delightful with the Steam Controller – melee on the buttons and gyro aiming for the bow is a treat.

• Phantasma says:

Huh, i can definitely see that.
      The rest of the game is clearly made with controllers in mind, but with a bow sometimes i’m almost tempted to grab the mouse for aiming instead. Analogue sticks are horrible for pinpoint precision compared to a mouse.
      One of the reasons i’ve not gotten very far with my ranger vocation.
      Haven’t thought of the steam controller as a compromise. Sadly i don’t have one… yet.

• JonWood says:

I can’t get on with the gyro, mostly I think because you’ve got no feedback on what it’s doing, but the thumb pad is really good. It’s not quite a mouse, but its close enough that I can happily play FPS games with it and not feel like I’m missing anything.

ErraticGamer says:

I end up sort of comboing the two, with the mouse-like joystick on the right pad and then the gyro kicking in only when I’m holding down the left trigger to fine aim. So I can get the target “close” with the pad, and then just slightly shift my hands to target very specifically. Works great. :)

48. DevilishEggs says:

Monkey Island 2 special edition and Pong remastered

link to atari.com

49. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Been catching up with some historic sale purchases so far: Finished Jazzpunk (one of the funniest games I’ve ever played. Feels like Thirty Flights of Loving if Ron Gilbert had made it), and just played Never Alone in a single sitting. Delightful is the word I’d use. Some pain in the arse jumping sections almost ruin it, but as a way of pulling you in to the Inupiaq culture it’s a great package, documentary footage and all.

And there’s still a day left of the weekend. Seriously tempted to get Talos Principle in the Humble sale. I know I’ll love it, I’m just loathed to buy another game that ends up sitting on a virtual shelf for months.

• Blad the impaler says:

I’ll vouch for Talos Principle. I found I could not stop once I began playing. The first few areas might be a bit square, but believe me, it smoothes out after that. Lovely atmosphere, too.

50. C0llic says:

Darkest Dungeon and the odd round of Rainbow 6 Siege.