Payday Co-Creator Announces New Co-op FPS

Heck, tell me a new co-op FPS is coming from a collective whose logo is a ten-chamber revolver cylinder and I’ll already be a touch excited. Surely no bad shootyshoots could come from anyone who understands the importance of ridiculous huge revolvers? Maybe that’s a bit too over-keen. But 10 Chambers Collective was also founded by Ulf Andersson, co-founder of Payday developers Overkill and co-creator of the co-op heist FPS series. Ooh! Their game is still a bit of a mystery, but what they are saying has my attention. Also, that giant revolver.

“In our new game, cooperation will be essential as you progress through the game, the further in you get the more you have to work together,” Andersson said in today’s announcement. They say they’ve been working on it for a couple of months, and it’s too early to show anything.

“Each session will be dynamic and give players the opportunity to decide how to tackle obstacles – whether by force, stealth or any other creative way – in order to survive whatever horrors they encounter.”

I do wonder what sort of horrors they are. Probably not crimes, yeah? Wait hang on, check this out, I think I can do some ‘satire’ here: “Horrors? Like microtransactions? Ha ha!” Nnno. I’m sorry, reader dear. I’ve rarely been more disappointed in myself.

Andersson’s departure from Starbreeze was announced in May, then 10 Chambers popped up and started muttering vaguely about a co-op FPS. They say every team member has an equal share in the studio, which is nice. We may not know much about their game now, but it’s more than we did before.

1. TechnicalBen says:

So a Wild West version of Payday?

• LionsPhil says:

So long as the guns are more satisfying than the ones in the Payday Western DLC.

Honestly, the styling of the doesn’t say “western” to me, though. With a grand total of a logo and a name to go by.

• Umberto Bongo says:

Steampunk Western!

(Please god no)

• KDR_11k says:

Slow reload is a problem though. Western games aren’t quite as cool as the movies because after a few shots you’re staring at your gun while you reload it, forcing a lengthy downtime.

2. Unsheep says:

Nice to seem them trying something new, and a Wild West setting would be very cool to see. We have far too few Wild West themed games as it stands, especially shooters…which is odd since it lends itself perfectly to action games.

• Donjo says:

Doesn’t seem like there’s any indication about the setting, wild west or other wise – Ten Chambers is just the name of the production company.

• Vandelay says:

I doubt it will be Western, unless there is some kind of supernatural element (as I have recently bought the card game Doomtown Reloaded, I immediately think that it could be something in the Deadlands setting, if they going that root.)

They specifically mention “horrors,” which would be an unusual description in any real world setting, unless they are going for something with gritty realism. I can’t exactly imagine them going for a realistic depiction of war in their co-op game!

Unlikely to be zombies, as L4D comparisons would be inevitable, but it is most likely to be some horror monster.

• TechnicalBen says:

Cthulhu Western.
        I’m calling it now.

I’ve got a very good run of these things.

I’ve guessed it wrong 100% of the time! :D

3. c4os says:

See the cylinder ? Bullets are microtransaction, let’s say 1p each Payday style.
    once bitten twice shy

• oreoleo says:

I’m as against Overkill as anyone who’s been following along with their microtransaction fiasco, but Ulf Andersson jumped ship from Overkill well before any of that transpired. This is a different company and deserves a fair shake.

• KDR_11k says:

It’s even possible that the microtransaction BS is what made him quit.

• Blackcompany says:

Thanks for pointing this out. This is now very much on my radar. I appreciate it.

4. Holysheep says:

Will the gameplay be included in the base game or will we have to pay for it?

also

• LionsPhil says:

Headphone warning: horrible clipped overamped music.

• KDR_11k says:

The speedy minigun was just a bug, when they removed the speed penalty from it and the LMGs they forgot to remove the speed boost on the weight reduction mods. The next patch fixed that nonsense. The bigger problem was how assault rifles became inaccurate pea shooters. And no, that was just stupidity, not greed because their paid stat boosts can’t compensate for that level of awful either.

• LionsPhil says:

Taking the penalty off the minigun, and making every assault rifle spray as badly as it, pretty much made the minigun brokenly better than every other rifle though.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

• Shonuffian says:

Controversially in todays times, gameplay will be included.

5. Monggerel says:

“This reload time is exhilarating!

6. ChucklesTheHut says:

Can we expect over 30 useless DLC’s like Payday 2? Will be milked till it’s utters fall off and the player base flees.

7. ilopan says:

After Wu Tang’s 36, 10 chambers seems paltry

8. AyeBraine says:

Actually, a fact that a revolver has a 10-round capacity cylinder most likely points at it being a small-caliber plinking or target revolver (in .22LR or Flober or whatever), not a huge monstrosity.

You can build cylinders with lots of chambers and thin walls for low pressure cartridges. You need thicker walls (and more space for cartridges obviously) for more powerful loads. That’s why .22 revolvers often hold 7 to 8 rounds, .38/.357-like revolvers are the traditional “six-shooters” (as well as all older, low pressure mid- to high caliber ones), and the monstrous super high pressure cartridges like .500S&W demand that the cylinder holds only 5 rounds.