Tales Of Symphonia Arriving On PC Next Week

Like a Englishwoman who spent an hour in bed this morning groaning but has been obnoxiously animated since a wee walk and a coffee, Bandai Namco are really getting into bringing games and series which once sat on consoles to PC. Their long-running ‘Tales of’ RPG series, for example. Tales of Zestiria launched on PC alongside the PlayStation 4 port last October, the upcoming Berseria is headed our way too, and they’re digging back into the past as well. Playing catch-up, they’ve announced that Tales of Symphonia [Steam page] will arrive on February 2nd. Better 12 years late than never.

The Steam page actually says February 1st to me, but Bandai Namco’s announcement says the 2nd. Like a Englishwoman who spent an hour in bed this morning groaning but has been obnoxiously animated since a wee walk and a coffee, maybe they’re a bit too animated and should pay more attention and not spend so long on awkward extended similes. Or maybe it’s time zones. Technology. Something. Computers. Issues. It’ll be time zones.

Anyway! I’m not clued into the Tales series, but have heard good things about Symphonia since this PC port was announced. One of the best in the series, people will tell you (me). Usually after I write a post like this professing my ignorance. Look, I’ve never even touched a GameCube. Mostly I know Symphonia has ↑ a giant walrus. Here’s a trailer:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Herbal Space Program says:

Of course it is the best, Colette is cute. CUTE!

• SomeDuder says:

Collette is a Mary Sue, so infuriating, coupled with the terrible voice”acting”…

2. RuySan says:

This game has good combat and nice exploration…but the plot and characters are the worst, even for JRPG low standards.

• vorador says:

You just described the entire Tales of series.

Still, the gameplay always wins me over.

3. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Yeah, we need more post apocalyptic grey worlds, with grey men, shooting grey guns, with grey story and dialogue. Colour and personality can go fuck itself.

4. King in Winter says:

This is good news… for those who missed Tales of Symphonia Chronicles for PS3 earlier (I didn’t).

5. mechabuddha says:

Alice, that’s a mole.

Disguised as a walrus, obviously.

6. Eight Rooks says:

I was not impressed by what I played of it on the little purple cube, but I’d be tempted to buy it to say thank you to Namco for taking the PC seriously, had I not just run screaming into a brick wall with Zestiria’s godawful final boss. Ugh. I hate it when games do this – where you can blunder quite happily through 99% of the game, then one fight basically says “You didn’t pay attention to all those terrible tutorial prompts and memorise the battle system inside out, now you’re screwed, you fail, start again. From the beginning”. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Haven’t even bothered with easy mode as yet, it just feels like such a kick in the teeth.

7. Arathain says:

I really enjoyed this on the Gamecube. It’s a fairly trope heavy JRPG; perfectly fine if you like the form, with some good moments.

The battle system is the highlight. For fights it cuts to a side scrolling brawler, like Streets of Rage/Final Fight. Melee characters can slash and block and do combo attacks. Magic users hang in the back playing free form jazz (or possiblly casting spells, I forget which).

Because it takes this form you could plug in multiple controllers and play with your friends, which is a lot of fun. Have you ever hung out with someone while they played an RPG? Now you can participate. I played the whole thing through with my wife- she’s not an action gamer, but she was a great mage, since picking spells and targets was tactical rather than reflexive, and she got to blow up all the things.

• lagiacrux says:

do we now if the steam version comes with online-coop then? i mean … i highly doubt it, but maybe? possibly?

since i got symphonia with the zestiria preorder ill definitly give it a try.

8. KDR_11k says:

It’s none of the Idea Factory garbage though, this is a genuinely good game.

9. Wedge says:

Yeah it’s awful that PC is now getting ALL of the games instead of just some of them. WHY CAN’T WE HAVE A LIMITED SELECTION LIKE EVERYONE ELSE?

hemmer says:

I played it on PS3 a while back and it was ok, but really no more than that, at least for me. Only Tales game I really liked so far was Graces f (the remake), which had the tightest combat system of the bunch and great humor.

Hoping the team that made that gets together for another outing, seeing as there’s several Tales dev teams or so I’ve heard?