Have You Played… ‘No Spider’ Mods?

If you’re playing a fantasy game, you will inevitably find that some wiseguy has stuffed a cave or forest full of giant spiders. Two thoughts on the devs doing this:

1) Did you even try using your imaginations, you flipping amateurs?
2) WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

For arachnophobes, mods exist to remove spiders from many games. I’m a big ‘fraidy baby but mostly keep my cool about megaspiders, enough to not use mods myself. I suppose I’m fishing for stories about how you, reader dear, are a bigger ‘fraidy baby.

You could try turning all spiders into bears, I suppose. Spooky bears who hang around webs and egg sacks.

Or consider the System Shock 2 mod which tries to so thoroughly remove the chittering bastards that the author explains they have not only “set the spiders to be destroyed as soon as they are created”, but also “as a safeguard I’ve also set them to be invisible, completely silent, slower then your average dead slug, have one (1) hitpoint, have weapons that make no damage AND they are on the Good team so any other AI’s around will slay them!”

I don’t find that at all comforting, though. Trying so hard to destroy something makes it seem even more powerful and frightful. And what if I grow comfortable I’ll never see spiders then somehow, impossibly, through some strange feat of software, ONE STARTS SCREECHING? No, I’d rather know they’re there.

Or you could… you tell me. Tell me about the mods you’ve used and the times you’ve covered your eyes and the times you’ve screamed. Tell me all of it.

I took a break for a waz in the middle of writing this and my shirt on my back felt like the skittering of three, maybe four fuzzy spiders and it was the worst.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

Never mind time-to-crate, I judge games on time-to-spider. I can cope with spiders in games far better than I can cope with them in real life (I go into a kind of murderous trance until they have been eliminated), so never needed a no-spiders mod, but they are terribly boring.

RaveTurned says:

To be fair, that murder-trance response is usually the optimum way to deal with spiders in game as well.

• gpown says:

Actually, spiders in Witcher 3’s Hearts of Stone are pretty good. The most interesting, AI-wise, basic enemies in the whole game I’d say.

• Anthile says:

I’ve always said that spiders and exploding barrels are the two fundamental pillars of game design.

• FuriKuri says:

Only a fool or madman would so readily exclude the ubiquitous crate from the core tenets of game design.

• LionsPhil says:

Today’s shipping manifest: crates full of exploding spiders.

…wait, I think they had some of those in that old Tom Selleck film, Runaway.

• sApuska says:

Aaaaaand now i’m having flashbacks to one of the most terrifying films of my childhood. The Mustache Man versus Spindly Spiders of robotic doom. Also, homing bullets.

• pepperfez says:

Good, just unload them in the sewers.

• Person of Interest says:

I’ll allow it. Flaming barrels are an officially-recognized subspecies of crate: link to oldmanmurray.com

• Blad the impaler says:

Toilets would merit an honourable mention here.

• phlebas says:

Toilets are a mark of quality rather than a fundamental pillar, I’d have thought.

DuncUK says:

I’m a mild-medium aracnophobe that always tries to man up and play the game unmodded. SS2’s spiders were never a huge issue to me, but Skyrim… ugh, fuck that game.

The worst thing was when I realised that you could resurrect spiders with the resurrection spell and thought this would be a great way to clear out spider nests with very little interaction on my part. So why was that a bad idea?

Because as an arachnophobe the one thing that’s worse than angry tarantula things attacking you is angry-looking tarantula things that scuttle behind you wherever you go… and until the spell runs out they’re always there, close behind you. Not attacking. Just watching.

• LionsPhil says:

Call of Juarez leaves them for the last chapter, then makes them realistically-sized tarantulas (so you can’t just shoot them, like silly giant spiders that are easy to keep track of and hit), and scuttly-swarming all over the walls.

Probably the most heebie-jeebie game spiders.

• Yserbius says:

Reminds me of the classic “Time to Crate” blog.

link to oldmanmurray.com

2. gbrading says:

Na I’ve never had too big a problem with spiders. Wasps though… Evil bastards.

the closest I get is that if I ever play SOMA, I intend to use the Wuss Mode mod to make the monsters peaceful.

• Kefren says:

It’s more fun to play Soma without the mod, then try to talk to the monsters anyway. Some of them are friendly and quite talkative. There’s even a floaty sea-bot that acts as a companion cube.

Harlander says:

I’m with you, man. Spiders are cool, but wasps can get into the hell.

Of course, if spiders in real life made the kind of noises they did in games, I might be less amenable to them hanging around my flat.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

SOMA isn’t too bad as far as the monsters go. Some of them won’t even kill you but will instead set you back. Best thing to do is when you see a new monster is just get all up in its grill and let it kill you. Demystify the enemy and you’ll view it as more of an obstacle with set patterns to avoid.

Henke says:

Most unnerving part of SOMA was the underwater spidercave towards the end. I’m guessing they’re completely harmless, but I ran through with one hand on the keyboard and the other mostly covering my eyes. I am not even joking.

• Kefren says:

They were deep-sea spider crabs. Such a lovely claustrophobic scene. Made worse when I left, saw a light, headed towards it – and it wasn’t a guide lamp, it was a massive angler fish, that then chased me back down those tunnels. Double trouble.

• Geebs says:

Spider crabs are some of the ugliest things on this planet. I’m not even arachnophobic, but seeing one of those things moving underwater makes me want to throw up.

• dethtoll says:

They’re very docile but yeah I keep expecting one to hump my face every time I go to the aquarium.

• Shazbut says:

“underwater spidercave”

Say WHAT? Ok, this may have to come off the wishlist

• Turkey says:

I’m cool with spiders. They behave like animals at least. Insects are the worst, tho. They’re like unrelenting, gross biological robots.

• Kitsunin says:

Oh god yeah, wasps (and the similar). The beehive areas in Spelunky make me uncomfortable as fuck.

3. DraconianOne says:

Massive arachnophobe. I picked up Skyrim and played for 30 minutes until that first cave then didn’t play again for 6 months. I wasn’t enamoured of any of the other no-spider mods for it so wrote my own which replaced them all with an appropriate alternative (wolves outside, draugr or skeevers inside) as well as removing many of the cobwebs.

On the whole it worked fine – although there was one quest in a mine that seemed to conflict with it and, foolishly, I figured I’d leave the quest in Markarth with Nimhe around too just to keep me on my toes. I thoroughly regret that decision.

Henke says:

Yeah, arachnophobe here as well, but I did manage to play Skyrim for 80+ hours despite this. Partly because I was playing it on the XBox 360, so I already sat quite far from the screen, and whenever a spider would show up I’d switch to 3rd person. It’s not as unbearable if the spideys are attacking my character from 3rd person vs if they’re coming straight at my face. D:

• LionsPhil says:

I’m really surprised the Skyrim ones bug people much, because they’re so un-spiderlike. They’re not stealthy, they’re not meaningfully venomous (it does a pathetically low amount of straight-up HP damage), they’re big and clumsy, and they’re easy to both see and hit. Heck, Bethesda couldn’t even animate them descending on their silk correctly in that janky old engine of theirs. No scuttliness, no real ambushing, certainly no fear you’re going to find one under your toilet seat, waiting to be startled by a descending buttcheek and bite it in a defensive panic before vanishing behind the cistern.

john_silence says:

You’re either an arachnophobe or a pervert :D or a pervert who’s more efficient at making arachnophobes suffer because you are one yourself. Thankfully I’ve seen your comments all over these here threads so I know you’re far from a mean spirit.

• Rich says:

Yeah. Compared to the ones in Dark Messiah: HoMM, they’re big dumb teddy bears.

particlese says:

Jeez, man! That last sentence had me laughing for like a solid minute, just imagining what’s going through the spider’s head. Like he’s sitting under the seat with a big smile on his face and eyes darting around the bowl in anticipation, waiting exclusively to be startled by that monstrosity as one might skulk around in a horror game or haunted hause waiting for The Thing to happen. Then the shadow comes, the expectation rises, the bum falls, and he’s simultaneously scared out of his wits and bursting with giddy joy, with no control over his reaction. Then he goes and recoups for the next day or two. Maybe eats a few bugs while he’s back there.

4. GernauMorat says:

Modded them the hell out of skyrim. I can tolerate them in some games (eg Darkest Dungeon), but realistic-ish ones make me reach for a mod or turn off the game

5. tehfish says:

I’m a big fan of the spiderman version of the spider replacement mod for skyrim.
    link to nexusmods.com?

Both because it swaps out the spiders but also does it in a hilarious way with a grossly deformed spiderman model (with sounds!) Suits my odd sense of humour to a tee :)

• GameCat says:

It took only few post to someone mention this glorious mod. Good.

6. Kefren says:

It would be funny if they were all modded out of Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon. There’s be nothing left apart from hoo-rah soldiers rampaging against destrucible buildings.

7. 1Life0Continues says:

Not spiders, but when I played Morrowind I absolutely modded out the cliffracers.

Because f**k cliffracers.

• C0llic says:

I will never stop hating cliff racers.

• Minglefingler says:

Fuck cliffracers.

• Ejia says:

Praise St. Jiub. Praise him.

particlese says:

St. Jiub is one of the best things in all of Skyrim, and I liked that game a good bit to begin with.

Skabooga says:

Fuck them and their fucking shrill screeches.

particlese says:

I think I wouldn’t have minded them so much if Morrowind didn’t crash half the time I looted them before they hit the ground…

8. Coming Second says:

There was a good discussion on here a while back about spiders, which raised the really good point that most games completely misunderstand one of the main reasons our eight-legged friends are so unnerving in real life; the jerky speed at which they move.

Big ol’ mega death tarantula lumbering ponderously onto my screen – yeah it’s not pleasant to look at, but it doesn’t scare me. If that thing came cannoning at me at the same rate a common house spider propels itself around my bath tub, then yeah, I’d probably look into ways to remove that particular experience from the game.

• GWOP says:

I feel like the larger a spider gets, the slower and more methodical its movements should get for maximum creepiness.

Like the spider in Limbo. Every single lunge had so much intent behind it.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s that slow creeping leg-boner movement of larger spiders that makes my skin crawl.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s also that a giant spider is an easier foe to deal with than an equivalent mass of small spiders, given small spiders can still carry potent venom. One spider you can keep in sight. One big spider, you can just shoot. It could be 50ft tall, and we’d just peg it with a tank cannon. But that many smaller spiders…fetch the flammenwerfer. Don’t miss a single crevice. Burn it all.

• NephilimNexus says:

And now you know the real secret behind the terror if the Alien Facehugger. It’s not the fear of strangulation or any of that. It’s the fact that it looks like a giant spider (with a tail) and it’s leaping right for your goddamn face AIIIIGH!

9. soopytwist says:

I made a “no spiders” mod. Does that count?
    link to terrariaonline.com
    It’s a bit old now, might need updating. I tend not to update my mods if I don’t have the games installed.

10. MessyPenguin says:

Completely terrified of them. Can not play any game with spiders in it. The System Shock 2 mod was a lifesaver for me. In fact i have this problem with most multi legged creatures. In particular i hate the big 3d models that appear during the loading screens of Fallout or Skyrim. Such a wuss.

Henke says:

I stopped playing SS2 when the spiders showed up. Hadn’t heard of the mod until now. Cheers, Alice! :D

Skabooga says:

I was playing through System Shock 2 just the other day, being thrifty and economical as usual by saving up my bullets and whacking everything with my wrench – taking out zombies and midwives no problem.

Then, I came across a nest of spiders, and instinctively switched to my pistol and gunned them down before they could get at all close to me. Even a low level fear of spiders can still screw with you.

11. Solidstate89 says:

I actually hate the giant mosquitoes in Fallout 4 more than any other animal or insect from any other game.

That buzzing noise makes my skin crawl and immediately begin nuking anything and everything in the immediate vicinity trying to make it stop.

• Michael Fogg says:

they nailed that dangly-limbed mosquito look with those

12. KDR_11k says:

Spiders are certainly one of the nastiest enemies in EDF once you up the difficulty, that shotgun web attack is practically guaranteed to prevent you from dodging anything.

13. Turkey says:

I’m glad game designers haven’t figured out how gross millipedes and centipedes are yet.

• GWOP says:

I have some bad news for you…

link to youtu.be

• Turkey says:

Ugh.

• Kerr Avon says:

GWOP, sorry to have to ask, but can you type the proper code to display embedded youtube videos on rockpapershotgun comments? Maybe a link to a pastebin url of the exact syntax, perchance? Thanks!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Don’t you just copy and paste the URL and RPS does the rest?

• GWOP says:

As the person who is famous on the Internet said above, just paste the YT link in your post, it’ll embed automatically.

• Kerr Avon says:

Thanks for replying GWOP my dear fellow, most kind! And sorry again for mentioning it, seeing as it has nothing to do with your lovely video haha! Unfortunately, it doesn’t work (at least for me and now I see emertonom below, so it isn’t just me). Scroll down to emertonom’s post: merely “link to youtube.com” in red text. If I just copy/paste a YT url that’s the result, for example: link to youtube.com so I’m guessing there’s some other tags or syntax we’re missing? The embed code on the youtube “share button” doesn’t work either. Wait! I wonder… possibly we need to surround the url in “[VIDEO]” tags? Could that be it? Here goes nothing! Charge! (failing forward again probably) [video=youtube;OlK_nQ7LsnA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlK_nQ7LsnA[/video]

• GWOP says:

I’m sorry Kerr, I don’t know what’s happening on your end. I just paste the Youtube link without any HTML witchery, and it embeds automatically. Like now, here this is me posting just the YT link (I’ll keep it relevant):

• Chaoslord AJ says:

My last place had an infestation of “Scutigera coleoptrata”, up to 4 inch and toxic bite. Am I glad to be out.

14. iainl says:

Spiders aren’t awful. I can cope with spiders most of the time. It’s insects I have problems with. Creatures’ legs should come in powers of two, it’s just not right.

15. melnificent says:

Ants are scary to me, but that’s more due to being allergic to them.

gritz says:

Spiders are awesome.

17. Michael Fogg says:

I’m probably not a full-blown arachnophobe but they do make me uneasy, to the point that I can’t keep my eyes off one when it’s in the room (in case it does something funny). But the game ones I’m generally indifferent to, somehow the animation fails to capture that uncanny spidery-crawl of their movement… the exception being maybe Arcanum and a beast called Hell Creeper. Absolutely horryfying, and the funny thing was that I played a necromancer character so I had to revive it and have it around (it was the strongest creature in that dungeon after all).

• LionsPhil says:

One day, procedural movement and animation will allow games to model a spider repeatedly losing its grip as it attempts to climb a wall.

• LionsPhil says:

You know, I really want a jumping spider sim now, in the vein of old DOS games like Wolf. Use your excellent binocular vision to clamber around a vast and confusing 3D space, lining up to pounce on pray. Avoid getting tagged by ant scouts and ripped limb from limb to feed the insatiable hunger of colony. Beware the traps of other, larger spiders. Flee the dreaded thumb of brattish human children. All culminating in the dance-off to attract a mate, a brutal high-frequency test of rhythm and stamina.

18. ikanreed says:

I’m not an arachnophobe. What gets me is murdering cute fuzzy things in games.

Every time I hear that stock “wolf dead” yelp sound effect, I cringe a little.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Seriously. Oh good, its that noise my childhood dog made when it died suddenly in the middle of the night. I’m having a great time!

Don Reba says:

There should be more “extra spider” mods for all the arachnophiliacs out there.

20. anHorse says:

If anyone wants to play a fantasy game with no spiders I can heartily recommend Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

;-)

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh, you monster! I was just about to write about how that game has some of the worst (i.e. the most gross) spiders in any game I’ve ever played. It’s especially bad if you’re in a dark area and use the “night vision” spell to orient yourself, since you can then see the spiders in much better detail.

I’m a former arachnophobe and while I won’t scream like a girl and cover my eyes anymore, I still don’t like looking at them. Man, do they look nasty! I haven’t ever used a no-spider mod and don’t see myself doing so, but I’m not above it or anything.

• DizzyCriminal says:

I logged in just to shout out to Dark Messiah. The spider cave is the most intense bit of that game (As far as I have played at least). You just can’t escape from them! Up the wall, jumping across ledges, kicking them off the chasm you just have to run and run… Chilling stuff.

21. symuun says:

I hadn’t planned to be a heavy magic user in Skyrim, but I quickly found that fire was a great way of annihilating the bastards while only looking at the screen out of the corner of my eye. I never looked back after that (but I did look sideways an awful lot).

22. DevilishEggs says:

Wurm Online has a native phobia mode for spiders, turns them into blobs. You can still make casseroles out of delicious spider meat.

23. Ejia says:

Strange. I am a severe arachnophobe in real life, but Skyrim’s giant spiders only slightly unnerved me, and that’s just on rare occasions.

• pepperfez says:

I’ve always thought tininess is the scariest part of spiders. When they’re big hulking things, you know they’re not going to scuttle out from under your pillow and so everything is fine.

24. Cronstintein says:

They usually don’t bother me much in video games (I hate them in RL!) but if/when we make the move to VR… NO SPIDERS ALLOWED!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’m sure it will take no time at all until someone creates a spider-on-face effect.

• emertonom says:

It’s already been done. “Don’t Let Go” is a game whose entire gimmick is that it makes you uncomfortable with things like VR mosquitoes, knives, and spiders. You win just by holding down the two control keys until the game is over. link to youtube.com

• Shazbut says:

The threat of spiders in VR almost feels like it would be enough to actually hurt the potential success and growth of VR.

Fear in games will just go through the roof. I can imagine people making things that are almost unbearable to play

25. Eleriel says:

Only game I’ve used a “no Spiders”-mod on is SS2.
    I’m only a mild arachnophobe… but the ones in SS2 were pretty bad for me.

N-NOT AS BAD AS THE FLIES WERE THOUGH!

26. Shazbut says:

I say this every time and I’ll say it again:

I don’t know how people can be scared of spiders in games but totally cool with facehuggers and head crabs.

Existing Half life mods to remove head crabs: 0

They run out of vents and jump onto your face

• Eleriel says:

GOD! I’d completely forgotten those…
      headcrabs were slow though, so as long as you had adequate room to strafe you could kill them pretty easily, and they didn’t do too much damage (and if they kill you, the deathanimation is no different than if you’d get shot, I believe… never died to a headcrap)

facehuggers though. *expletive* damn I hate them. primary reason why I don’t play any of the alien games, even though I own all of them except Colonial Marines.

• Shazbut says:

Alien Isolation was game of the year for me. I was loving it. Then I got to the hive level, saw a facehugger, closed the game and uninstalled it.

Haven’t played it since.

• Spacewalk says:

Face huggers are the worst spider because it’s a spider that jumps on you and has sex with your face.

• Shazbut says:

I don’t think I can even conceive of a creature that would frighten me more than they do.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes, and there’s also something rather off about a spider with a TAIL. Which it wraps round your neck.

27. Phantasma says:

Average arachnophoebe in real life. Often i have to the kill them if they share a room with me in which i intend to stay longer. Sad but true.

Never had much problems with their virtual counterparts EXCEPT in Dragon Age: Origins. I don’t know why, they are not exceptionally scary or even different than other spiders in games but they really freaked me out.

Spiders in Skyrim were surprisingly tolerable. Guess that was because they were modelled after tarantulas. The head shape and the less bulbous abdomen might make it easier to stomach them for me.

• Phantasma says:

Dear spider goddess. Stay away but send an edit button!

• MultiVaC says:

Did it have anything to do with that “overwhelm” attack the spiders could do in Dragon Age? I’m not arachnophobic at all really, and I kind of like most spiders in real life. But the way those spiders attacked in that game creeped the fuck out of me.

• Phantasma says:

That could well have been a part of it. They really tried to eat your face off, didn’t they?

28. Cimeries says:

Generally don’t have a problem with spiders, but when I first came across a cave of spiders in Dark Souls 2 a shiver went through me. Those things are just horrible to look at. Its so bad that I feel compelled to kill every one in any room I’m in, even if they’re dormant up a wall, because there might be a trigger point that makes them attack from behind and I do not want to fucking know.

Edski says:

As an Aussie, I’m cool with spiders as long as they don’t come into my abode. I almost lost a foot from a White Tail bite, so if they come inside, they die.

30. Zach Fett says:

Ugh. Yeah I hate spiders. I’m terrified of them. I spent hours trying to remove spiders from Dark Messiah. I can’t stand them in first person games, and in third person they’re slightly more manageable but they can go fuck themselves.

Weirdly enough, I can play the EDF series just fine, but if you throw me in DOOM 3 when the spiders show up and you can hear that God awful sound of them crawling around, I will nope the hell out of there.

I never actually beat the DOOM 3 expansion because of the spider level.

31. OmNomNom says:

Man up, face your phobias.

• Eleriel says:

I have a phobia of causing bodily harm to people who say “man up”, “it’s only in your head” (or “you’re too young to know that you’re trans” and then -much later- say “but you’ve never shown any signs that you’re trans…”)

your approach seems like a fresh new way for me to deal with this phobia.

32. Palkinator89 says:

The Frostbite Spiders of Skyrim are just too hairy.. its gross. And their mouth/jaw/butt face thing is gross as heck. So far the spiders that have grossed me out the most are the Scirpos from Xenoblade X. They just look.. unnatural.

33. Xzi says:

No mention of the spiders in Metro 2033/Last Light? I’m no arachnophobe, but those were probably the most terrifying take on spiders that I’ve seen.

34. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Now that kind of mod would make the notorious Spider Caves in Xenus 2: White Gold a lot less exciting.

Welcome to the dreaded… Caves! Where you’re stalked from all sides by throngs of stealthy… nothing in particular.

35. DORKSMAN says:

I love the misguidedness of a mod that replaces the slight possibility of a spider appearing with the ever-present fear that you could be completely surrounded by them at all times and have no way of proving otherwise.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Besides, what if you only don’t notice spiders because you ARE YOURSELF A SPIDER???

36. haldolium says:

That reminds me to continue Legend of Grimrock with NoSpiderMod.

I can take them as long as they’re not as horrible close to real ones with fat bellys, thin legs and JUMP IN MY FACE.

Dark Messiah of M&M had awful spiders as well. But as soon as they’re getting a bit modified away from real spiders and DONT JUMP IN MY FACE I am mostly fine with them in games.

37. Niente says:

I’m not arachnophobic but I found the Frostbite spiders in Skyrim repulsive when I encountered them above ground. For some reason they would show up around Riften and I just found it offensive that in that beautiful landscape something so wrong should be scuttling around in broad daylight.

38. The Borderer says:

Thankfully I’m not an arachnaphobe, so I have never had to play anything with a no spiders mod.

I wish there was a no hypodermic syringe mod for Fallout 4 and the Far Cry games though.

39. 49152 says:

Glad someone finally mentioned Dark Messiah. That spider cave was until you realise that it’s where you can perfect circle-strafing and not be hit once by any of the buggers.

I guess anyone who’s commented so far wouldn’t have the Skyrim Monster Mod installed. It has Giant Chaurus Spiders.

Imagine that.

Or don’t.

40. NephilimNexus says:

Skyrim needs an “Australia Mod” where you occasionally find the skeletons of dragons inside spider webs.

41. Halk says:

“Or consider the System Shock 2 mod which tries to so thoroughly remove the chittering bastards[…]”
    The mod couldn’t remove a spider corpse though (decoration, was never alive). Fortunately it’s located in a dead end hallway so you never have to get close.

42. ByakuyaKuchiki91 says:

I’ll be honest…I’ve had severe arachnophobia for most of my life…so seeing spiders…even in games…sparks said fear…but removing spiders from games just seems wrong. In a game like Skyrim…I surprisingly look forward to walking into a cave and finding out that it’s full of Frostbite Spiders…because it allows me to “risk everything” in order to kill my sworn enemy.

43. Contrafibularity says:

I recommend anyone with an irrational fear of spiders to try and overcome that problem, especially now that the techniques of those solutions have come really far. Spiders are cool. And I’m not just saying that because I went to a zoo one time as part of a school outing and had the privilege of having a “giant” tarantula (pretty sure we’re more of giants to them than they ought to appear to us but never mind) walk on my arms and rest on my hands while I petted it. Or even because I live alone and my cat died a few years back and they’re the only fairly sentient company I keep alongside the occasional mouse.

No, I only say this because spiders are cool and people can be cool too and they frequently occupy the same spaces and both benefit living in mutual and harmonic symbiosis. Please, arachnophobes, please don’t kill them.

• jrodman says:

Mostly when I find a spider inside I tend to think it’s lost. I really don’t have that much food for spiders inside my apartment/flat, so I try to move them back outside with the cover + paper method.

However, when a large spider climbs onto the back of my neck without an invitation I’m less gentle. Come on spiders, that’s not polite.

44. Flakfizer says:

I try notto kill them as long as they stay out of the way and don’t take the mickey. I am an arachnophobe but i appreciate that they are fascinating, diverse and ancient as far as species go. Some stealthily steal from other spiders webs by tactical snipping of the fibers, others wait above insect trails with a pre-spun net held between their forelegs to snare passing prey and others just gallop after their prey and chase it down. It’s something about the scuttling movement that freaks me out and that’s the what games and CGI movies never get right.