Snow! (Snow!) Open Beta’s Now Go-o

It’s only two years ago
The man with the suit and the face
You knew that he was there on the case
He wasn’t in love with you, not in love with you
My love is like a high prison wall
But I like to tit about in snow and fall

Snow! (Snow!)
Open beta’s now go
You’ve got the power to know: you’re free for some downhill, always believe in
Because you are Snow! (Snow!) glad that I’m done with this because I’m awful at this whole ‘song parody’ thing good grief let’s get this over with, I’m sorry, what a mess.

Remember Snow [official site] (Snow!)? The ski ’em up launched onto Steam Early Access way back in 2013, charging a couple of squid to scooch around while developers Poppermost Productions worked towards an eventual free-to-play launch. They’re now far enough along that they’ve stopped charging cash money and launched Snow into a free open beta. That’s… that’s what the whole song was about. Snow’s open beta is now live on Steam now, okay?

Snowboarding and snowmobiles are next on the docket.

Graham (suit, face, and all) found the early Early Access version he played ropey for something which cost money, but that was two years ago.

I’m certainly up for a free snowventure, and downloading it now. Edinburgh’s snow was all too brief, and I want more. You know what I could really go for? A walking mode, where you prat about on the slopes and get to enjoy stumbling and slipping and sliding down on your arse. I paid the price of a new pair of jeans for that fun.

1. Morgan Joylighter says:

Damn you, video games. I’ve been wanting to check out this game for forever but still have Oxenfree, The Witness and a second playthrough of Witcher 3 taking up my time… first world problems…!

• anHorse says:

I’d already forgot Oxenfree exists, christ there’s too many games out right now.

2. rexx.sabotage says:

Poppermost are traipsing a slippery slope with this niche title

3. caff says:

Love these song intro news pieces Alice ;)

4. Sarfrin says:

This is why RPS is the bestest best gaming site bar none.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

How does it stack up to Skeal?

6. GernauMorat says:

Amazing. I do miss skiing though, but by the gods is it pricey

7. caff says:

My god it’s hilariously bad. Connect to a multiplayer server and have a go at trying to ski downhill for a bit. The lag is so extreme your character just stands there, gyrating his hips as you think you have control. Then BANG crashed! Into what, you ask yourself in disbelief? The FOURTH WALL. Pony Island and Undertale have NOTHING on this.

8. C0llic says:

Well, this post was gold (sorry).

9. GWOP says:

Alice has way too much fun with these news posts.

10. Inu says:

How perchance does this compare to Ski-Free. How long can you go after the goal line before a monster gobbles you up?

11. Unsheep says:

Nice, I love my snowboarding and skiing games…the last one I played was SSX in 2012. With the exception of Star Wars I’m bored by the usual free-to-play open-world games, with its generic Fantasy stuff, but this one might really suit me.

12. Mechlord says:

When this game first launched in early access it was terrible and I loved it. Wiggling side to side to accelerate up hills felt almost like strafejumping, and falling through the map to explore the hidden underground mountains was wonderfully surreal.

13. cafeoh says:

I’m afraid back before they tried to “fix” the physics engine, the gun was beautiful, very buggy (worst menu navigation I’ve seen in a game in a looong time), unrealistic and fun to just fuck around in and do the sickest stuff. You had total control on the player, and it was up to you to make your move realistic, not up to the game engine.

They changed it around because it made no sense to them to be able to start spinning one way and then another in mid-air, by forcing you to “charge” jump with a direction beforehand (without indication of how long you’ve charged, and preventing you from doing quick jumps with tricks) and making mid-air rotation change very slow and only used for slight correction.

Now the game is beautiful, a little less buggy, a little more realistic, and not fun. (Haven’t tried to multiplayer yet)

:c

14. April March says:

I thought ‘the man with the suit and the face’ was that emoji with the floating businessman.

Also the only skiing game I need is this one: link to whymog.itch.io