Star Wars Battlefront Revisiting Hoth In New Free Stuff

Two months after the release of a multiplayer-focused game seems a good time to ask: how are you getting on with Star Wars Battlefront [official site] nowadays? What do you like, and what do you wish it had? And how does your wishlist stack up against DICE’s planlist? The developers have shared their plans for the next few months, which include a patch adding private matches and cosy outfits ↑ today, two free new Hoth maps in February, a new Endor map in March, and, of course, plenty of paid DLC.

So! Today’s update adds the ability to create private matches, support for more modes on the Tatooine Survival map, sensible winter outfits for Luke and Han on Hoth, daily challenges and community events, and balance tweaks.

Next month will bring a new Hoth Survival mission and a new Hoth map supporting the larger modes like Fighter Squadron and Supremacy, and more maps will get support for that Turning Point mode added by the Battle of Jakku update. Then come March, DICE will release a new Endor multiplayer map and a new Survival map set on Tatooine.

As for paid DLC, that’s lined up between March and–strewth!–early 2017. Four packs will go romping around Jabba’s palace, Cloud City, the Death Star, and… somewhere else, I guess. A secret. A mystery! I’d casually toss out the suggestion of maybe something tying into the next Star Wars movies?

I’ve just realised how unlikely it is that a new Star Wars came out without a rubbish video game adaptation. The reason why is, of course, because they’re rubbish, but I’d barely noticed that publishers had realised that too. I can’t even think of the last blockbuster movie adaptation I saw. Gosh! The world became a better place and I hadn’t even realised.

Anywho! Check the blog post for more info on all these Battlefront newbits.

1. Fnord73 says:

I really hope they increase the options for two player coop. The multiplayer is as always chaotic and unless youre 16 pretty boring pretty soon, but the ability to work with a friend on the few splitscreen levels was really good.

• Sixtoe says:

Absolutely, I love playing this with my boys in couch co-op so being able to have more variety would be great.

2. LokiEliot says:

Tying Battlefront into the next Starwars film ‘Rouge One’ should be easy as it is set in the classic trilogy time frame of Battlefront. Perhaps a mission to steal the death star plans? I’m still playing battlefront, it maybe generic and repetitive, but i still keep playing the dam thing.

3. SMGreer says:

I know I’m one of the few but I really, really loved Battlefront and its simple fun. I’ve put dozens of hours in.

So some free stuff is most welcome. Was just moaning about how Luke could be wearing something more appropriate on Hoth…and here we are!

Will be interesting to see some new maps though. There might not be many in the base game but they’re so rich and detailed, it didn’t bother me so much. Hope the new maps can be distinct despite being on the same planets.

• Perjoss says:

Jedi can use the force to keep warm.

• urbanraccoon says:

I hope the next outfit is a dead tauntaun with luke’s head sticking out.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I like it, too! It scratches a very specific itch, so I’m not always in the mood for it, but when I am it’s a blast(er).

• SMGreer says:

The puns are strong with you.

But yes, it’s not always what I’m after but when it is, it’s spectacular.

4. w0bbl3r says:

Making some free content in the hopes that people come back and more people buy it I guess.
    From what I could gather the game was at best pretty dull once you had sunk a few short hours into it, and at worst just dull all round.

This is what happens when your game is tied to just pretty graphics and a popular franchise, with no actual substance to it

5. Urthman says:

You know what they call ice cubes on Hoth?

“Cubes.”

6. EighthNote says:

Have they fixed the matchmaking yet? I gave up on this a few weeks ago after getting tired of waiting 10+ minutes to find a server to join every time I wanted to play. Too bad, too, I really like the game itself.