EA Want To Regain “Trust Of The PC Gamer”, Not At E3

“We are on a journey to regain the trust of the PC gamer,” says Peter O’Reilly, senior marketing director for Origin. As reported by MCV, the publisher is attempting to correct their reputation after the wrongs of the recent past, by trying to make sure games have smooth launches and that Origin is useful to people. At the same time, the company say they won’t have a presence on E3’s showfloor this year, instead focusing on their own EA Play event across the street.

EA Play will run in Los Angeles on June 12th to 14th at Club Nokia, which is just around the corner from the Los Angeles Convention Center where E3 takes place. The London event will take place on June 12th and is about “putting our players first.” The events will be open to the public and will be streamed online, and will be anchored by a press conference on the first day at 1pm PT/9pm BST.

This isn’t a big surprise, but it is a big change. Having some sort of presence at E3 has long been a seeming necessity for any major publisher, with only Nintendo deciding to forego the expense of an enormous conference or show floor booth in favour of their (excellent) Nintendo Direct video presentations. Electronic Arts aren’t moving far by heading just round the corner, but it’s still significant that they’re moving out and opening up.

The claims of attempting to win back PC trust are perhaps less concrete. “Over the last couple of years we have focused on ensuring a great play experience from launch and bringing players a better experience on Origin with programs like the Great Game Guarantee, On the House, and now Origin Access,” said O’Reilly to MCV. “We’re excited about the progress we’ve made, but are always pushing ourselves to innovate on behalf of players.”

It’s easy to be cynical, but he’s not wrong. Origin is better now than it was in launch, in its refund policy and features; while not a great game, Battlefield Hardline was delayed substantially to avoid the problems which plagued Battlefield 4; and most recently Star Wars Battlefront’s launch seemed event-free despite huge numbers of players piling into servers.

The sentiment expressed isn’t dissimilar to what Patrick Soderlund said in 2013, responding to a question about EA being voted the worst company in America – which has happened twice now, as silly as it is. He said: “We don’t want to be bad, we have no desire to be voted the worst company in America. On the contrary we want to be voted the best.”

Whether any of this washes away the taste of SimCity from your mouth, I don’t know. Electronic Arts’ reputation has been poor for a long time for all number of reasons, which each of you explained when we asked back in 2013. Reasons for disliking the company stretched from when bought and shuttered beloved studios like Westwood and Origin to their treatment of employees.

Among that list however were “fail to admit mistakes” and “PC is not their top priority”. So do any of the recent changes make you feel differently towards them, or do they have to buy you more flowers and chocolates before you stop making them sleep on the couch?

I’m still looking forward to Mirror’s Edge Catalyst.

1. ran93r says:

I don’t dislike them as much as some, BF4 mostly worked for me and Origin seems fine.
    I think what I would like to see is a little more depth to the actual games, Battlefront is a shell of the game I was hoping for.

2. unacom says:

The title had me burst into laughter.
    Sorry EA. Your games may be good. But you are not.
    Also looking forward to Mirror´s Edge Catalyst.

• starclaws says:

Atleast they are finally ‘attempting’ to acknowledge their problems. Granted if they continue to rush out releases or cookie cutter games every year with no true improvements, they won’t win me back. They force a Need for Speed every year. Trying to do a Battlefield every year or with 10 expansions. The sims expansions #1billion. Etc… Etc…

If they do care about PC they would start up another C&C game or finance up and coming developers rather than buying them out and crushing their dreams with unrealistic demands while the original creators/developers quit for their own studios and they hire replacement hack talent that ruins the next iteration of that upcoming game. It was good when DICE was separated more.

They need true gamers as CEOs and chairmen not a sports lover and a lifelong corporate head.

Their support teams are getting better though. But it wasn’t hard to improve on something that essentially didn’t even exist back then. The big thing is they started centralizing everything on Origin and their websites and that really helped. I’ve bad mouthed them for years for numerous things. I have a folder dedicated to EA articles titled ‘Why EA Games is a plague’ that I even keep.

The one hope is their delay of Hardline that proves they are willing to fix things rather than rush them out. Granted the game premise was shit to begin with as Battlefield 5 and a true 1942 remake is the only Battlefield things we would want. Still more people playing Battlefield 4 over Hardline. Again forcing DICE on the issue.

Now if only they would do useful things with their acquisitions instead of imposing unruly demands to release quickly like a failed SimCity or Garden Warfare. Or games with high fun ratings and look great but they don’t hook you in and keep you for more than 30 hours.

3. LycanGav says:

Give me UFC and NHL on PC and I’ll forgive SimCity. Maybe.

4. SupahSpankeh says:

It’s not just the shoddy ports though is it?

EA isn’t popular in PC gaming circles because of how trashy, stupid and simple their games are becoming. SWBF was dreadful; vapid throwaway trash with less than 10k concurrent players a few months after release.

They’re removing dedicated servers from all their titles, so there’s no community. Mod tools are non-existent. Game mechanics are being dumbed down.

EA just don’t make great games. Catering to the PC market isn’t just about throwing a bit more money into the port, it’s about making a title which will hold the attention of PC gamers. DAO was amazing; DAII a little worse and DAIII was a single player MMO.

This downward, fratbro gaming trajectory they’re on is the reason they’re struggling to make an impact.

• Plank says:

If they supply mod tools for all their games, how are they to get more money out of you when you can just play all the free mods for that £50 game?

• minijedimaster says:

I didn’t realize if a company allows users to mod their game said company couldn’t then offer paid DLC still.

• Cross says:

*Cough* Cities Skylines *Cough*
          Sorry, had something in my throat there.

• Plank says:

I’m sure they’d keep making and selling dlc for their £50 games. But why would anyone buy any of it when a modder/team create whole campaigns for free? Who knows, maybe that’s why EA won’t release mod tools?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because even if a company allows mod tools that doesn’t necessarily mean they have access to the game’s source code. Modders can only build upon what they’ve been given. DLC adds more to be built upon.

• minijedimaster says:

Have you never heard of all these other games on the market that have healthy modding communities that add a ton to the game but still sell all kinds of official DLC with no issues? I think you’re just creating a false dichotomy here between mods and dlc. Both can and currently do coexist on many games just fine.

• Asurmen says:

minijedimaster, I can’t be 100% here but I don’t think Plank is being serious. He’s presenting EA’s internal dialogue here.

• Cronstintein says:

minijedimaster said it before I could. Do you think Skyrim had trouble selling DLC? Mod support gives a game longevity that is hard to achieve otherwise. The only conflict with DLC is that you can’t sell really lazy crap like palette swaps that could easily be modded. There will always be desire for strong narrative content which modders are traditionally weaker at.

• iainl says:

If EA are incapable of designing DLC that’s better than something a fan can knock together in their spare time, they’ve got bigger problems than whether I object to their stance on modding.

• silentdan says:

Damn right. If modders are such a threat to your DLC sales, fucking hire them to make the DLC. That way, you improve the product, instead of standing in the way of people who want to improve the product.

phuzz says:

pffft, that’ll never work, I mean, look at Skyrim, that’s got modding support and that only sold about twenty million copies.
        EA don’t want that kind of success. They’re a niche, indie gaming company, that amount of sales would just go to their heads. Soon, once they’ve finally driven away all of their customers, they can start making the unsellable art games about cats that they’ve always dreamed of.

• Xzi says:

+1 to all of that, SupahSpankeh. It’s not about Origin. It’s about making your games not shit. Which they fail to do with every new release.

• ocelot113 says:

They must never do surveys or consumer studies. Origins is not their problem it is their games. For many PC gamers, fucking up the Dragon Age and Battlefield series were their down fall.

5. C0llic says:

EA, like all the big publishers are going to continue to try to nickle and dime us with gated off content, season passes, paid map packs, and micro-transactions. Making sure their games work is just not enough to be seen as ‘good guys’. It’s the bare minimum of an acceptable product.

We all know how they run their business, so frankly, even if they do stop releasing under-cooked titles, a purchase from them still comes with all of those considerations. A game from a publisher like EA (or Ubisoft, or Activision to name two others) has to be really, really good for me to overlook the things I know will actively put me off their games even if they do release a solid product.

Don Reba says:

Has EA made games since 2012 that weren’t Sims addons? I’m looking in Steam, and Kingdoms of Amalur and Warp seem to be the last ones.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You’re looking in the wrong place.

Don Reba says:

There are other places? They don’t seem to have anything in GoG…

• Askis says:

There’s Origin, EA’s version of Steam.
          Which is where they’ve sold all their games for years now…

• Seafort says:

You do know EA has their own store and client now right?

All their games are exclusive to Origin now. It’s been around since 2011 under the Origin name and EA Downloader before that.

• minijedimaster says:

Anyone else here that whooshing sound of the joke going right over this guy’s head?

• MadMinstrel says:

The one that scans your hard drives, then phones home?

• Asurmen says:

That it does that is irrelevant to Origin existing.

Although yes he missed the cleat joke.

• dysomniak says:

Ironically, cleat jokes never seem to get any traction.

7. Zephro says:

Eh come back when they sell games instead of “Services” on some store front I actually use like GoG or Steam.

Mirror’s Edge may actually draw me in enough to have an Origin account. Maybe.

• silentdan says:

Agreed.

Dear EA: your track record is so poor, that even when you say what I want to hear, I just assume you’re lying, and promptly forget about whatever you said. When your entire catalog returns to Steam, I’ll believe you’re taking concrete steps in the right direction.

I’m not installing Origin. I’d rather miss out on Mirror’s Edge than cave in to these bastards.

• ocelot113 says:

I installed Origin for the free games. DA: Inquisition was the last dime I will ever spend on EA products (and that I returned day 1).

• Rumpel says:

exactly.

when they bring all their games to steam and gog retroactively, i’ll start listening. regardless of how they run their business, this is just a blatant disregard of the consumers wishes.

forcing me to split my library into multiple clients is insane. imagine how upset we’d be if we’d have to use a bunch of different IM clients to talk with our friends because companies …oh wait.

tigerfort says:

I’m certainly not going to wish them luck. Good judgement, perhaps.

• pepperfez says:

It would take a remarkable stroke of luck for EA to stumble into some good judgment.

• Merus says:

I think they’re basically doomed. They didn’t get the reputation they have because of some shoddy DLC nickle-and-diming or because they released some games that were pants. People only grumble about Ubisoft, and its independent platform that’s terrible, their crap DLC, their exploitative free-to-play, their sequelitis on their biggest franchises, the sameyness of their games… EA doesn’t have their reputation because they’re uniquely terrible. They got that reputation because when they did these things, the people who were already mad about EA said ‘well obviously they’re terrible, what did you expect’.

EA, ultimately, are still paying for fucking up Origin Systems and Westwood. Every time they misstep, the people who are mad about those companies being acquired and gutted were ready to remind people why they should hate EA, and it’s become tradition. We hate EA, without really understanding why, or even if the company that turned Dungeon Keeper into a crappy free-to-play game is even the same company that couldn’t integrate Westwood.

• Emeraude says:

It’s still called EA. It still has to live up to its history and the long list of misdeeds, abuses and fuck ups that made it what it is today.
        And I do think we dislike (hate is such a strong word – I don’t think any company deserves it; companies are beneath hatred; the people working for them, that’s another matter) EA for the whole history of the company. Not any singled-out event or events.

9. Kefren says:

I don’t mind publishers having their own DRM systems. It’s their choice. It’s up to them where they sell games too. But if you sell a game on another system then don’t also require your own. I don’t buy any Steam game that also requires Uplay or Origin. I don’t want extra accounts and services and software, thanks.

If they really wanted to be cool they’d release games on GOG.

• MadMinstrel says:

Well, I’d be fine with them open-sourcing Origin (because otherwise I can’t trust it not to do evil things with my PC), and selling games DRM-free there.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

EA may not have the greatest track record but calling them “the worst company in America” is about as big of an exaggeration as you can get.

Qazinsky says:

While that is true, it’s at least fun that the finger is pointed at a company that flinches and then put on a show about doing better instead of just quietly keep doing their dark deeds for money like the really bad companies would.

• Sulpher says:

All the while the likes of Comcast is bending millions of netizens over millions of tables with regressive data policies. EA being voted ‘worst’ is just a side-effect of having a customer base that is largely young, media-savvy and capricious. (Though EA is a bit shit all the same.)

• Emeraude says:

Montsanto and Goldamn Sachs (you know, companies whose actions you could actually describe as effectively evil) really deserve it a lot more, the thing is: they won’t care. They know they deserve it, but they’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.

EA having it is a bad joke, but it’s one that irks them. We can see it from reactions of people working for the company in interviews.
        Part of why it’s done. A symbolic slap only matters if the victim blushes.

11. Ethaor says:

They only started to care about their image by PC gamer when the supposedly dead PC market started to show big signs of the PC gaming market growth.

Basically, they grew a conscience the minute they realized not having one was hurting their business.

That said, if they can manage to release non Origin’s exclusive, reasonably priced, solid and polished PC focused titles for a few years without screwing up I think they could regain the people’s trust.

12. Plank says:

Exploit All won’t change. They’ll continue to milk the gamers that buy their games.

13. Trillby says:

If they give me Peggle 2 on the PC, not only can they stop sleeping on the couch, I’m donning my rodgering trousers and unpacking the jellied eels. All is forgiven.

Qazinsky says:

…so what you’re saying is that Peggle 2 is rather good, then?

14. Chris Cunningham says:

Any “regaining trust” model here which retains Origin isn’t going to go very well, is it? Has anyone ever voluntarily purchased an Origin key over a Steam one for a reason other than marginal price difference? Here’s a list of reasons I have games in Origin:

The Origin Bundle
    The game came with both
    The game was On The House

End of.

A good way to regain trust would be to stop pretending that people really, really want to run Yet Another App Store. Blizzard only get away with it because they don’t sell games anywhere else. EA do.

(Obviously this also applies to Ubisoft, but hahahaha like Ubisoft would ever pretend to care about customers.)

• Plank says:

Yeah multiple app stores are a drag. VR is going that way too which sucks. I wonder if Valve would’ve been open to having an Oculus store within Steam?

• holymadman says:

Can someone please explain this mentality to me?

Is it that hard to understand that Steam is taking 10-25% of each sale and that both EA and Ubisoft have enough games/franchises to lose large amount of money by going trough steam?

Sure EA and Ubisoft have their problems but dont think for one second that if their games were only on Steam everything would be better.

• Viral Frog says:

My guess is that nobody wants Origin because you can only get EA titles. EA titles generally suck. So why use Origin again?

• Generator22 says:

This is the list of games I have in my Origin account, most of them published by EA and Origin-exclusive. Taste is subjective, of course, but I fail to see how EA games “generally suck”:

Battlefield 3
          Bulletstorm
          Command N Conquer Ultimate Collection
          Crysis 1, 2, and 3
          Dead Space 1, 2, and 3
          Dragon Age Origins (Ultimate Edition)
          Dragon Age 2
          Dragon Age Inquisition
          Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
          Medal Of Honor: Warfighter
          Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
          Need For Speed: Most Wanted
          Need For Speed: Rivals
          Need For Speed: The Run
          Syndicate
          The Saboteur
          Zuma’s Revenge!

• Herring says:

You might be able to broaden the sentiment to ‘games on Origin exclusively tend to suck’. The games generally considered good on that list (Mass Effect 1/2, Bulletstorm, Crysis, Dragon Age : Origin etc) are cross-platform.

I’ve got Origin for the freebies they periodically offer (classics) and Dragon Age 3. I enjoyed the latter but I didn’t think it was a patch on Origins.

• Leprikhan says:

It isn’t “hard to understand”. On the contrary, it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. But you know what? I, and probably many others, don’t give a squat. I don’t care in the slightest how much of my money goes to steam vs. ea.

What I do care about is having to run and keep track of another service, which I Do find tedious. And I care a lot more about that slight tedium than I do about making sure EA gets 100% of the money I pay for their games, believe me. In fact, I care enough that I don’t buy games from them anymore. And that’s all there is to it.

gritz says:

I really don’t get the whole “I can’t be bothered to run another service.”

I have Netflix, but I still watch shows and buy content on Hulu, Amazon, iTunes and Google/Youtube.

I suspect it’s less about the oh so onerous tasks of having another online account and running another tiny application and more about some silly brand loyalty mentality that PC gamers use to replace the console wars.

• pepperfez says:

I can’t speak for anyone else, and I am notably crabby about things like this, but I really just want to be left alone when I play my games. I don’t want to wait for client updates and mandatory patches, I don’t want to see the weekly sales, for god’s sake I don’t want achievements. I just want to click on the game and start playing.
            Steam is a necessary evil at this point, but publisher-specific stores can’t offer me enough to put up with a whole extra layer of nonsense. If EA wants to stop splitting their revenue with Valve, they can sell me the game directly and let me just play it without their bullshit.

• iainl says:

I have shelves full of Blu-rays and DVDs. I’ve even got two full of Laserdiscs and a smattering of HD-DVDs, because I’m weird like that.

But deciding what I want to watch when the 5″ discs are in one room, the 12″ ones another and the TV that’s also got a PS4 running Amazon Prime Video is in a third is a pain in the bum. It’s not a laborious task to open Origin by comparison, but even so having multiple places to go in order to browse often means I’ll forget I own anything that isn’t in Steam.

• Asurmen says:

I’m not sure laziness is the most winning argument anyone has ever presented before…

• pepperfez says:

EA aren’t owed anybody’s effort to get at their products. If they’re going to put up annoying obstacles just so they can wring every last penny out of me, they can’t expect my sympathy.

• Distec says:

Yeah, I’m allowed to be as petty as I want when it comes to my consumer habits. I don’t care how much of my money ends up in EA’s pockets when I go through Steam versus Origin or some other retailer.

If EA wants me to manage another game client (with a library the size of a thimble compared to Steam), then it is super easy for me to walk away from them. It’s not a big deal; I won’t stomp my feet and gnash my teeth. I just won’t buy it! Maybe if I thought there was some good value in exchange…

Is it “unfair” that Steam beat them to the market and enjoy a virtual monopoly just by getting there first? Are there double standards as to which DRM scheme is worse, if only because we’ve gotten used to Steam’s? Sure. Absolutely. And I do not care. This is the reality EA will have to work with.

• Distec says:

Want to add that I do have GOG Galaxy and have made a few purchases there. I don’t have an aversion to game clients unless I completely fail to see my benefit from them.

• Sandepande says:

I’ve got Origin, Steam, GOG Galaxy, and Uplay and I’m cool with that. I was against having n+1 clients but then I decided that was childish, and I’ve been a better person since.

gritz says:

There’s something deeply ironic about posting that you can’t be bothered to sign up for another account on a blog that requires signing in to post.

Don Reba says:

I tried to convince myself that GoG Galaxy was a good thing, I installed it and played games on it a few times, but it ended up gathering dust in the corner. If a game is available in both places, I’ll buy it from Steam even though I’d prefer to support GoG rather than Valve.

• pepperfez says:

GOG Galaxy is a good thing, even if it’s not the best thing or even as good as it could be. As long as it remains fully optional, there’s no downside to it. If Origin were offered as an added bonus instead of mandatory security measure, I’d forgive a lot more of its flaws.

Don Reba says:

I confess, I am vain and want my friends on Steam to see the games I buy, the games I play, and the achievements I collect. I want them to be able to watch me play via Steam’s streaming and to play multiplayer with them via Steam’s matching. It’s awful, but playing a game outside of Steam feels a little like a waste.

• minijedimaster says:

Can’t speak for anyone else, but for me Origin is a giant piece of crap. The social/multiplayer functionality of it is complete trash compared to steam. Their store front is annoying as hell. Game management is trash. Availability of titles is sparse to say the least. Any other reasons required?

• Sandepande says:

Those are actual grievances and not just whinging about having multiple accounts.

• minijedimaster says:

I was responding to his question:

“Why is everyone still giving EA hard time because of Origin? Why is everyone ok with Steam being the only online shop to buy games?”

I wouldn’t give EA a hard time at all nor would I continue to only use Steam as a service if EA could be bothered to put out a decent client with decent features that gave Steam a run for its money. But since they couldn’t be bothered to do that… F em.

• RobbieCrash says:

Personally I hate it because it’s corporate spyware.

• silentdan says:

“Why is everyone still giving EA hard time because of Origin?”

Because Origin sucks, and EA is behind it 100% to the exclusion of all other storefronts, some of which do not suck, while others merely suck less.

“Why is everyone ok with Steam being the only online shop to buy games?”

No one is suggesting that. I, and many others here, buy games through GoG, Humble, and others. It’s not about Valve vs. EA, it’s about EA vs. Humanity. Many of us have a positive opinion of Valve, and may point to it as an example of a better company, but that doesn’t mean the choice is between Steam and Origin.

If it helps, here’s something I fucking loathe about Steam: mandatory updates. Oh, sure, you can configure it to wait until you’re about to launch the game, but you can’t decline an update, not even for single player games. Steam games will not launch until updated, if Steam realizes there’s an update available. GoG Galaxy, on the other hand, not only allows me to refuse updates, it permits me to roll back to a previous version. Yay GoG! Boo Steam!

“Is it that hard to understand that Steam is taking [a cut] … [companies will] lose large amount of money by going trough steam?”

They give you a lot for that cut they take. Like, if your game is on Steam, you don’t have to worry about payment processing. You don’t have to worry about distribution. Half of your marketing/advertising is done for you via Steam. Your community of customers has a place to gather and discuss the game, share videos, create guides & extra documentation, and even store/distribute mods. That’s all stuff you’d either have to omit or pay for, if you weren’t with Steam. I don’t think the money lost is anywhere near as significant as you’re suggesting.

“dont think for one second that if their games were only on Steam everything would be better.”

No one is suggesting that. No one is suggesting ONLY Steam, as a panacea. We want ALSO Steam, as an option.

• kud13 says:

Steam isn’t the “only online shop to buy games” GoG, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming, etc all say hello.

For many people, however, Steam is “the only PLATFORM for games management”. And when Ubi or EA try to make their own “management” platforms, people get annoyed because it’s an extra hassle, when pretty much all other games can be launched from Steam.
        Personally, I don’t subscribe to this mentality (I prefer to dispense with ANY management software and just launch the exe myself-which is why I often re-buy off GoG things I may have already purchased on Steam), but some people are quite fanatical about launching everything through steam.

Also, it’s unnecessary DRM, it encourages these publishers to make their games “always online” or add some BS online “social” component to their games to justify having a separate “community”. And as someone who likes his games to be proper offline single-player affair, i’m annoyed by this trend.

• randomkeyhits says:

I’ve got no problems installing Origins, just point me to the Linux installer and I’ll be good to go.

That excuse will probably last until Linux gaming hits about 20-30% of the market share so who knows, I may live long enough to see it happen…… or maybe not….

• malkav11 says:

Steam isn’t the only online shop to buy games. Not by a long shot. In fact, I buy relatively few of my games directly through Steam nowadays. It is, however, the best of the clients a few of those shops foist on us and has a bunch of useful and rewarding functionality, which Origin and uPlay either have entirely avoided or half-assed, depending on the function. It’s also ridiculous to pretend that EA or Ubisoft are actually competing with Steam or fighting any sort of monopoly. They’re just exerting their own private monopoly on the games they particularly publish (EA more so than Ubisoft, who at least let you go through Steam if you want). And that’s not just not better than Steam dominating the entire market, but actively worse because you’re not getting the benefits of competition on prices, policies, etc but you are having your library balkanized over a million different apps. It’s shitty and needs to stop.

• Emeraude says:

Cold you explain to me what Origin does that makes it any worse than Steam, apart from coming from EA.

By which I mean: they’re both as bad.

You’ll have to show me that optional Steam install…

15. Tycow says:

My trust was lost when they killed Westwood and C&C :(

16. rocketman71 says:

Hey, EA, you want to get our trust back?. Easy!.

1) Close Origin
    2) Get your ass back to Steam
    3) Remove idiotic DRM and always online schemes that end up destroying games (i.e., SimCity)
    4) Go fuck yourselves

If you do each and EVERY one of those, you’ll regain my trust.

• rocketman71 says:

3.5) Bring back LAN and public dedicated files. And stop using a web browser as a server browser with no alternative whatsoever.

5) Jump off a cliff.

• AlienMind says:

3.6) Remove micropayments.
        3.7) Spectator mode in multiplayer games
        3.8) Don’t rely on public writing admin tools for your servers and anti-cheat. Pay them and/or do it yourself.
        3.9) Skip “unlocks”. FPS are no MMOs
        3.91) Release modding tools

6) Go insert running mixer in your anus

gritz says:

Remember when everyone thought EA was becoming a monopoly?

Now we won’t buy anything from them unless they rejoin the mothership.

• Mokinokaro says:

Origin is a GOOD thing. There’s nothing wrong with the client itself and we need competition to Steam. Any distribution monopoly is a horrible thing as it’s one step away from Apple’s walled garden.

• pepperfez says:

It’s not really competing, though — Origin doesn’t offer an alternative to Steam in the way that GOG or Humble or even itch.io do. It’s still a client-based DRM scheme, just one with a smaller selection and higher prices.

• C0llic says:

GoG is a good thing. I can’t agree that origin or Uplay are. They offer no benefit to the consumer, and just sell their own games at full RRP. Granted Origin is starting to try to change that, but they still have a long way to go.

gritz says:

I own around 10 games on Origin and I haven’t paid full RRP/MSRP on a single one of them.

• Mokinokaro says:

Origin have a lot of decent sales and they cycle out free stuff from EA’s back catalogue every few weeks.

For example, I have every C&C game from the original all the way to red alert 3’s expansion and only paid 15$ for them.

• C0llic says:

Okay, I stand corrected on that. They’re clearly trying more than some of the others, but until that service actually offers titles from a significant number of other developers, they’re not really a steam competitor.

In fact, <i)they are a walled garden just for EA titles albeit one that seems to be making a better job of it than Ubisoft or the Blizzard store.

• Poison_Berrie says:

If I recall Origin had a refund policy in place before Steam, has sales regularly and has offered back catalog games for free. From what I’ve heard it’s customer service is a lot faster as well.

That said, I only go to Origin when I want to get a specific EA title. To the point that I haven’t activated it in several months.

• malkav11 says:

A much less liberal and extensive refund policy that applied only to EA games and under a few specific circumstances. But yes, it did predate Steam’s vastly superior implementation.

• Emeraude says:

There’s no real competition between those mandatory clients though: they all have their exclusives and if you want to play those, well, you have no choice but to deal with each client.

That’s not competition, that’s just walled garden exclusivity.

• malkav11 says:

Origin isn’t competition, it’s a separate monopoly.

17. Kitty says:

Please, we heard this song and dance before, several times – both from Activision and Microsoft, and neither of them really backed up their words with much of anything so far.

Don Reba says:

When they said that, they all think they are overall on the right track and just need to make a few small gestures of goodwill to appease the PC gamers.

• Emeraude says:

To be fair, by this point, I think the only thing Microsoft could do is remove itself from business, close the door of the company, destroy every line of code ever written, every piece of technology ever created, nuke their sites from orbit and throw every person that ever worked for the company into the sun.

Just to be sure.

18. anHorse says:

I’m not against using Origin

However I totally forget about EA games because they only launch on there. I’m only opening Origin if I want to play a game I already own so exclusively launching your game there just means I won’t see it.

Plus the only EA game of late that I really like is the sims 4 and that needs about 20 more expansions plus some significant upgrades to the base game before it’ll offer me the experience I’m used to from the sims

19. PikaBot says:

and that Origin is useful to people

The time to do that was almost four years ago. Better late than never, I suppose.

20. King in Winter says:

Evil empire tells me to trust them, news at eleven.

Yeah right. For good reasons EA is on my shitlist and never coming off.

• silentdan says:

If they shut down Origin (read: stop selling/accepting payments, but do keep servers online so that past customers aren’t screwed out of their purchases) then I’ll consider removing them from my shitlist. Until then, I’m with you.

• pepperfez says:

Or, more sensibly, patch out the DRM on those old games they’re giving away anyway. Anyone who was going to pirate Mass Effect 1 has done it already.

21. Calculon says:

Fool me once…………….which you did EA – by the way.

I swore off of EA after SimCity and it’s highly unlikely I would ever give them another chance.

IF its the case that you show about 5-6 years of consistent performance with good games (without stupid policies about ‘always online’/terrible DRM policies, release games which arent riddled with bugs and then abandon them, and generally just stop being a complete corporate douche-bag) THEN I MIGHT think about buying one of your titles. Big hole to climb out of. Plus you know, I’ll kindly let others sample your crap first and then tell me if its riddled with broken glass/rocks and general terribleness before Ill sample it myself.

22. arioch says:

They could win my trust back if they invent a time machine, travel back to the 90’s and stop themselves driving Bullfrog, Origin and all the other indie developers they brought into the ground…

Matchstick says:

Is it even worth EA trying to win back PC supporters if they aren’t going to start by towing Origin out to sea and sinking it by gunfire ?

24. newguy2012 says:

They have said this for a few years now, but its always the same. Shallow pretty games with a ton of dlc and microtransactions. Bioware seems to be their latest victim, devs leaving left and right. Another studio into the grinder.

EA never again.

25. gbrading says:

EA still have a long way to go to regain our trust. I think how Mirrors Edge Catalyst and Mass Effect Andromeda turn out will impact this somewhat, but they need to continue to release high-quality games which are correctly optimized for PC players. They also need to really dial in their microtransaction/season pass/post-release DLC push side of the business, as that kind of stuff is increasingly turning players off.

It also continues to be a fact that Origin as a service is surplus to requirements. I’ve still never actually bought anything from Origin directly apart from Mass Effect DLC, for which there was no choice. Origin isn’t terrible, but it still doesn’t do anything better than Steam, where most players have the bulk of their game libraries.

• Sandepande says:

Yeah but I don’t want Valve to be the sole provider of digital distribution services. My hard drive has plenty of room for others…

• silentdan says:

No one is suggesting that Valve be the sole provider of digital distribution services. Why do I see this specific straw man everywhere Origin is criticized?

• Hedgeclipper says:

Because they know EA loves them and only hits them when they make EA crazy so they have to publicly tell everyone how much they love EA all the time.

• Sandepande says:

Just afraid of those slippery slopes.

26. igrad says:

I think the vast majority of players are pissed at EA for 2 reasons: 1, terrible launches, even after delays. 2, excessive microtransactions for those terribly-released games, such as the past 15 installments in the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

• spacein_vader says:

Uh, you know Assassins’ Creed is a Ubisoft franchise right? Nothing to do with EA.

• minijedimaster says:

I think Ubisoft is worse than EA personally. But both companies embody everything that is wrong with the gaming industry today. I think its quite telling that the OP can’t tell the difference between the two though.

27. Viral Frog says:

The only thing that’ll make me trust EA is if they go out of business so they will finally stop releasing crap products.

28. PancakeWizard says:

The rumoured Imperial Commando might be part of that, from what I’ve read of the details.

29. kud13 says:

I’ve had an Origin account ever since I bought the original Mass Effect and DAO I some RPG sale (back then it was still called EA Download Manager).
    In the early days, compared to Steam, Origin was actually more manageable (in that its offline mode worked when it launched). Since I was a student, surviving on rez wi-fi mostly, this was important. Also, DAO didn’t require me to be online to play, nor did I have to run Origin to play it, only to install it.

I still haven’t played Mass effect- the DLC-related BS and the fact EA never released a complete edition of ME 2 turned me off the idea of playing that series.

Only IP i’m really interested in from EA is the new Mirror’s edge. And only if it’s playable as a 100% single-player, offline experience. I don’t want “social features” in my games. I don’t need EA monitoring how I play and trying to foster extra content on me.

If EA can do that, and the reviews are good, I may consider buying Catalyst for full price

• Nyarlathotep says:

Tried just yesterday to buy ME2, and this is what I had to come up with (which is enough by itself for me to be pissed at them):

Mass Effect 2

– 560 x 5 = 4.88€ x 5 = 24.4

All DLC Total BW Points: 3600
      – 1200 x 3 = 12.00€ x 3 = 36€
      – (560 x 5) + 800 = (4.88€ x 5) + 8.00€ = 32.4€

– Total game price with story DLC: 19.99 + 28 = 47.99€
      – Total game price with all DLC: 19.99 + 36 = 55.99€

How about not having me solve meth problems when I just want a complete game? Oh and not feel like being ripped off for a game that came out 4 years ago?

30. NephilimNexus says:

Trust: The condition necessary for betrayal.

31. Turkey says:

Oh please. They’re just revving up for their big multi-platform lineup this fall. This has nothing to do with pushing for better PC games, it’s just some weak attempt at damage control.

• Plank says:

My guess is that EA are developing a vr game or opening a vr studio for which they need pc gamers on side.

32. Cropduster says:

Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog! Never forgive, never forget! And don’t think we can’t see that freshly dug Bioware-shaped hole behind you!

In all seriousness though, EA’s games seem like dinosaurs at the moment. All their franchises have been degenerating swiftly into a homogeneous pulp (see Dragon Age or The Sims), not helped by the bitter taste that excessive monetization has left.

There’s nothing really wrong with Origin, there’s just no benefit to it either. It’s a small and expensive catalog that winds up just being a hassle. They’re not Blizzard, and should swallow their pride and put they’re games on Steam/GoG.

• Mokinokaro says:

Chris Roberts killed Origin by running off to Hollywood
      Peter Molyneux and most of the core devs left Bullfrog YEARS before it was shuttered

Of those 3, only Westwood can actually be blamed on EA.

But you should add Maxis to the list. The core Maxis team was killed by Simcity 2013 which was very much publisher tampering.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

EA viciously murdered Ultima, and I seriously doubt that had anything to do with Chris Roberts.

• Mokinokaro says:

EA “murdered” Ultima while Richard Garriott was still lead designer? Many, many of the bad choices of the latter entries were his.

The ONLY Ultima I’d blame EA for was IX, but he’d already been ruining the series before that.

33. Cross says:

To Peter O’Reilly: Your words are worth dust. We’ll believe you when we see it, because you have done absolutely nothing to engender trust for a very long time, and now you’re launching a product hinging on it (That being EA Access).

34. minty says:

as a consumer my personal biggest issue with EA is that buying there games is an annoying experience. if you dont know what i mean try buying a game like dragon age 2 and all its story dlc, it will drive you nuts.

there is no single pack you can buy and just get everything, no no that would be too simple. first you buy the game then you can buy the DLC right? oh no you cant you need a virtual currency buy the DLC. so you buy the virtual currency but you can buy multiples of the virtual currency no that would mean you only need to checkout once, you have to go back however manny times you need to get all the virtual currency you will need for all the DLC content you want. oh but wait theirs more! you now have to leave the origin website to spend your virtual currency on the DLC you want.

why when trying to buy a game from one or the largest publishers in the worlds own store do i need to go through 4+ transactions visit 2 websites and use 2 different currants just to buy a game an all its content? i couldn’t tell you, it baffles me that there is no option to just get all of the game in one its been out for years at this point. i finally did go through all this to buy dragon age 2 and the story DLC but only at the 3rd time of trying did i complete it, and to be frank it was the most annoying only shopping experience i have ever had. EA makes games i want to play (on PC) dragon age inquisition and mass effect 3, but the through of having to deal with there nonsense in buying the whole experience just kills any excitement i have to play them.

please EA stop making it so annoying to buy your games.

• Mokinokaro says:

Dragon Age 2 (and Mass Effect 2) were victims of the transition to Origin. Bioware had already built them around the silly Bioware points system when Origin launched.

Now, EA not going back to kill a deprecated system and let you grab the DLC from Origin is all on them.

• ainokmw says:

You’re right that it was a transition period, but it’s been well over five years now.

35. iainl says:

I’ve nothing against Origin – I have an account and several games in there. But I do forget it exists most of the time, and so rarely play any of those games. That’s the core of this whole “Steam or nothing” problem for me; it’s not that I particularly like Valve, it’s just that most of my games are in there, so that’s the catalogue I look at when deciding what to play, not the few I have in Origin, Uplay or installed standalone.

Other than that, my main issue with EA is that they keep making games I’m not interested in; making Need For Speed sequels instead of another Burnout Paradise is particularly awful of them.

• aere1985 says:

I’m in the same boat as many here, nothing against Origin as a service, it works well & looks tidy but I dislike the hassle of maintaining another account on another platform.

I also dislike EA’s microtransaction-heavy environment. I expect it in a mobile phone game that I got for free. I don’t expect to find it in a game that cost me £40+.

Finally, EA have had a history of buying up and shutting down smaller developers. The whole company smacks of one run by accountants and lawyers with no idea how the gamers who buy their product feel about them or why.

I believe that they want to regain the trust of gamers because they have finally realised that PC gaming isn’t dying and it’s a big market. I do not believe they want our trust for any reason other than that the lack of trust that currently exists is a big wall between them & out wallets.

Gaming, like music and film, is a form of expression, an art form and we, the gamers, are its appreciators. That isn’t to say that they can’t make money out of it but that should not be the ultimate goal. No more day 1 DLC, no more micro-transactions, no more games rushed into an early release to please the shareholders. Please the gamers first!

• mpk says:

That’s pretty much why they’ve consistently been amongst the most profitable of publishers – maximum profit from minumim efforts. They sell what sells; they’re not necessarily aiming to break creative boundaries or redefine gaming. Their iterative methodology for sports games is indicative of that.

• Mokinokaro says:

Also the history of shutting down studios and milking for maximum profit is what every AAA publisher does (outside of CD Projekt, but even they as a publisher have some sordid history since they were responsible for a LOT of awful PC ports like Saints Row 2.) EA’s just the biggest fish so they’ve done it the most.

Activision and Ubisoft are equally guilty of devouring and gutting studios. Just look at what Activision’s done to Raven Software by turning them into a Call of Duty map factory.

gritz says:

How EA can turn it around:

1. Recognize that creators are at least as valuable as brands

Ultima is nothing without Lord British, Bullfrog is nothing without Molyneux, Maxis is nothing with out Wright, etc. You can’t just buy out a studio and then dispose of all of its talent and expect things to work out in the long run. Give talented creators the recognition and the freedom they deserve, and it will pay dividends.

2. Embrace the non-AAA segment – but don’t go straight casual

Ubisoft has had great success pairing their AAA model with small games like Child of Light. It will do a lot to defray your perception as a monolith. The other side of that is to not go full-on casual/facebook/mobile. That market is lucrative and important, but can really undermine our perception.

3. Stick to your guns on Origin

Origin is actually a pretty good service, and I see no reason why Valve should be the only bully on the block. Get more non-EA titles in your store though. An EA-only store rubs people the wrong way.

4. Take your foot off of the DLC gas pedal.

Self-explanatory, really. We all live with the reality of DLC, but it doesn’t mean we like it.

• Person of Interest says:

I agree on all counts, even the controversial ones like “Origin is okay”.

EA should also sponsor more media coverage of their inner workings. I’ve seen a steady stream of articles by high-profile gaming sites, or even general news sites, about Ubisoft’s creative process and personal stories of the development leads. I think it’s helped Ubisoft avoid the popular perception of being an evil gaming megacorp (they’re more of a neutral gaming megacorp?), despite having nearly 1,000 drones grinding away on the yearly franchises at all hours of the day. So I think EA should spend more of their marketing and media consultancy budget to push their human interest stories onto major media sites.

• Arithon says:

I can agree with those points. I would add:-

1. Lead with PC development (and don’t lie about it either).
      2. Stop trying to be all things to all people. BattleField was a multi-player strategic FPS with vehicles. Now the latest BF title had a fishes bicycle of a single-player campaign, 75% of the multiplayer maps have to be bought as DLC and there is no strategy and half the vehicles are on rails. You lost sight of what the game was.
      3. Acknowledge the existence of LAN gaming and game modding. Accept that it’s better to have a game that sells forever because of work others are doing for free, than a quick cash grab in the six months after initial release – after which time you’ll have to give it all away (TitanFall) just to keep enough people playing to populate a server.
      4. Don’t dictate server hosts, recommend certainly, but then stand back and give groups a choice. Many player groups who had long-standing hosted servers with good companies, were force to use poorly supported and far more expensive server hosts because you forced the issue.
      5. Instead of spending $200M on acting talent for 4 hours of cut-scene in a 6 hour game and $300M spent on marketing and $10M is spent on the development, skip the first two. Then we can get 6 hours of actual game and we’ll advertise it for free. It’s called “word of mouth”.

Any future release of BattleField should not have any vehicles on rails. It should support LAN gaming (even if logging on to web account to start). Modding should be an option, not a crime.
      As a more general comment, multiplayer games should not have multiplayer maps as DLC – Battlefield, Titanfall 2, whatever. Instead make any single-player content and/or skins/uniforms DLC, then you don’t fragment the community.

Too many games – Star Wars: Battlefront for example – are un-optimized, limited in configuration and shallow in scope. Part of that is they are shoddy console-ports and the other part is that they have been, shall we say “simplified” for consoles.
      Not sure what I’m talking about? Watch this: link to youtube.com video entitled “if quake was made today”. Even the sheer abundance of adverts is a satire of what we see today in lieu of a decent playable game.

37. Siresly says:

EA arguably has done better. Battlefield 4’s launch remains the most recent SNAFU. And they’ve fixed that up and applied a bandaid in the shape of free additional maps.

Battlefront has suffered no issues as far as I’m aware. Probably helped by it being a smaller game, but you know, still…

One thing I greatly dislike about multiplayer games in general these days, is sketchy monetization and bad implementations of progression systems. If Battlefield 5 once again features a shitty one, I’ll continue having problems with EA (and DICE, it’s their shitty ideas) about this.

The worst is when they trot out the PR lines basically telling me they’re doing me a favor. I fucking hate that so much. Seriously puts me in a facepunching mood.

“We put this piece of crap design in the game that makes the game less fun and more like a chore. You should be grateful we’re providing you with the option to pay us to circumvent it.”

38. craigdolphin says:

EA wants to regain our trust? Bollocks. Meaningless platitudes from a marketing employee that will translate into no action whatsoever.

Want to regain my trust? Fine. Here are my terms.

1.Either ditch mandatory Origin integration with games OR remove all the weasel words in the Origin TOS so that EA cannot render older games unplayable if you refuse to agree to unilateral changes to the Origin client TOS. The only way in which Origin can become ‘useful’ to me is if it gains the ‘optional install’ feature.
    2.Stop with the DRM obsession. Peter Moore can go fuck himself.
    3. DLC pricing needs to change. You charge too much for too little. And the price NEVER DROPS or goes on sale. Haven’t brought any EA DLC since DAO: have no plans to change that going forwards.
    4. First they came for Origin. Then Westwood. They’ve been fucking with Bioware for the last few years. Make a proper single player offline KOTOR 3. Let Dragon Age return to its roots. And FFS, stop twisting Mass Effect into yet another shooter.

And for those who think Origin is just as ‘good’ as Steam, you’re wrong. :) They both are just as bad as each other. Fuck Origin. Fuck UPlay. Fuck Steam client. Fuck ’em all. Just let me buy and install the game itself and make any add-on client BS entirely optional for those that give a damn about that stuff.

• ainokmw says:

Origin is garbage. For many reasons, frankly. Steam charges you money for your products like a company that respects you and the money you work for. I don’t have to buy “Bioware points” in fixed amounts and pay for items with staggered amounts in order to sell me more points than I need. That’s an insult to the consumer.

• Mokinokaro says:

“Bioware points” aren’t an Origin thing. They’re pre-Origin and only apply to ME2 and DA2, iirc.

EA does need to eliminate the stupid things.

• Mokinokaro says:

Whoops, they apply to the dumb MP packs for ME3 too don’t they?

But there you can blame financial institutions for setting minimum dollar amounts on transactions.

• Barberetti says:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

39. wcdres says:

I have been a long time reader of this site. I enjoy both the articles and sexy banter of the other readers. I had to finally make an account to give my 2 cents on this subject.

EA would have to make amends to all the wrongs that they have done to the PC gaming community, and for all the crap or botched titles that they have released. They would at a minimum have to sacrifice each and every “money man” that they claim forced them to release early, and each and every executive that have worked there since the mid-90’s to the PC gods. Literally. Then they would have to let me have a “go” at each and every one of those wives of the aforementioned do-badders. Do I hate EA with a passion? As one former VP candidate from the trailer parks in Alaska stated, “You betcha!”

40. Tuor says:

Dear EA,

DIAF.

Sincerely,

A PC Gamer

41. aergistal says:

A Mass Effect _complete_ pack with all the DLC included for a fair price would make a good starting point.

42. ainokmw says:

They are easily the most anti-consumer company in the video game industry. Their entire model is built around exclusivity rights and limiting supply rather than increasing demand by making things better. They use their financial weight to buy up popular studios and then cannibalize them by monetizing all of the studio’s existing properties until they’re in ruins.

I’m not going to say they’re the worst company in America or anything, but they run their company with brutal Wall Street methods, and I’m going to trust them as much as I trust Wall Street financiers.

• Mokinokaro says:

Truthfully, is Activision any different? Activision is anti-innovation and anti-creativity to an even greater extent.

If they didn’t have Call of Duty and (the increasingly creatively bankrupt) Blizzard they’d be dead.

• ainokmw says:

Activision didn’t use legal and financial trickery to ruin a genre, though. EA endured one serious year of competition in their NFL game and rather than say “we need to step up and be better” they moved in with their lawyers to create exclusivity agreements. Because they’re the only NFL game in town now, they have almost no reason to innovate, and there is painfully little difference between Madden 06 and Madden 16 apart from a fresh coat of paint. The sports genre has stagnated due to this movement.

All of the major players are run by remorseless money men, sure. But EA’s policy of using legal and financial means to squelch competition rather than develop better products is fundamentally anti-competitive and anti-consumer.

43. Hobbes says:

Dear EA :

Fuck right off.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Yours sincerely,
    A very pissed off Simcity fan.

44. hemmer says:

They could start by releasing complete collections of their past game series, including all DLC, addons and whatnot.

Still can’t recommend the Mass Effect trilogy to anyone because nobody will bloody buy it for fear of it being incomplete and unwillingness to separately buy about a million story DLCs.

Call of Games of the Last Decade Edition or something.

45. mpk says:

EA no longer makes games that I want to play, which is the main reason I no longer play EA games. I have an Origin account, to which I have attached about a dozen games – an increasingly large portion of which are from the On The House selection – but the last and only game I bought on the platform was Mass Effect 3.

As much as I loved the Mass Effect series, at this point I’m unlikely to purchase Andomeda, and that’s more to do with EA’s business practises. I don’t like that they lead with micro-transactions and overpriced DLC/season passes, and I don’t like the general contempt they show for their customers (to be fair, that opinion isn’t restricted to EA).

• Mokinokaro says:

This is pretty much me as well. They just don’t appeal to me (neither does most of Activision’s catalogue) outside of a very miniscule ammount of titles like the new Mirror’s Edge but even then I will not preorder or buy day 1.

As for Mass Effect Andromeda I’m not buying that particular one because as far as I’m concerned the story is finished.

46. Frank says:

Nah, it’s not about trust. Origin is fine.

EA’s problem is that they are irrelevant to PC gamers like me; there are dozens of developers, big and small, who make more games I’m interested than EA manages to publish.

47. derbefrier says:

the only reason i dont buy EA games is because they dont really make games i want to play. I am not one of those silly people who think EA is some evil scourge that wants to eat our babies. Its a company just like any other. I have no issue with Origin. its works well enough and i am not going to act like having to double click on an Icon is some terrible thing. make better games, get better sales.

• Replikant says:

Yes, indeed. EA wants to have my trust, what does that even mean?
      EA is a big company who is doing what big companies are doing: Maximizing profit in a safe way. To that end, they put in as many day-one DLCs, season passes, and microtransactions into their games as they can get away with.
      They stick to tried and tested formulas. Games are designed to cost as little as possible for the highest possible profit. To this end the games follow the same trodden pathes as other big hits, they are tailored to the right target audience, and the more you can grab people by their OCD or require them to grind to unlock stuff the better for you, because the less actual content you have to provide.
      EA is doing games the way the big hollywood studios are doing movies: Earn as much money as possible.
      And, of course, if an “apology” increases our chances of profit, we do just that.

So, I don’t hate EA. I simply completely despise the type of games they are making (for the most part) and the costant milking of players via DLCs, etc.
      And since I don’t trust them to change it is better we go our seperate ways.

48. Auldman says:

I’ve never had an issue with Origin. It runs very smoothly. The only reason I have it is BioWare. I like their games so I need Origin to play them. Could EA make them available to Steam and GOG? I think they should. It’s their right not to however it seems more friendly to do so.
    I don’t really have any interest in other EA titles. Outside of what BioWare does the other EA offerings are not my thing. It would be nice if they would at least bundle the dlc for Mass Effect and Dragon Age into one complete package at least a year or two out from the games release but that hardly makes them evil.

• Mokinokaro says:

The main reason EA hasn’t got their games on Steam is that Valve wants a cut of all the DLC sales.

What EA should do is release GOTY/all DLC bundles of their past titles on Steam (and Origin) to get around it but from a financial standpoint that might just cause people to wait for the discounts.

49. Lanfranc says:

I am sorry, EA. You have taught me not to trust, and now I can no longer look back. :(

50. Sian says:

How many times have EA vowed to win our trust back or treat us better or stuff like that? It’s weird that with all those promises, they still have to make the same ones again.

Personally, I’m not mad at EA. The PC market is too vast for me to care about one publisher making bad decisions.

I don’t dislike Origin. I did back when it came out and people were talking about spyware. I thought I’d have to look carefully at each title I was wanting to buy to avoid accidentally tying myself to their store. Turns out my fears were unfounded – I haven’t had any interest in any of EA’s titles in years. Two possible exceptions were Sim City and DA:Inquisition, but Sim City turned me away with the always online dung before my fancy could be tickled and DA is but one in a sea of open world games. I’ve only so much time to spend these days.

Heck, I can’t even be arsed to care about Mirror’s Edge, even though I loved the first one. I’m just not interested in the genre anymore. Years too late, that one.

Sorry, EA. You don’t really need to win my trust, you need to make me interested in your products if you want my money.