Have You Played… Prune?

This is available on PC! Who knew? Prune [official site] is a gentle puzzle game about trimming the branches from trees in order to help them grow.

Your sapling might begin in shade, meaning you need to grow efficiently towards the light which will let your branches bloom. Or you might be underneath an enormous red orb, which when touched will cause poison to spread through your tree to its roots unless you quickly amputate your limbs. Stage by stage, new considerations are introduced.

But it never gets too hard, and it never too far from the central relaxing pleasure of trimming. Your tree doesn’t grow along defined paths, and will sprout large branches you deem surplus to requirements. Snip them off, sending branches tumbling, and the remainder of your tree will continue to grow. It’s an arboreal Mushroom 11: you must destroy to move.

I’ve been playing it on my Android phone, but it’s available to buy for Windows from the Windows store for not too many pennies.

1. Llewyn says:

Mmmm, prunes.

This looks appealing, though perhaps on Android rather than the Windows Store (urgh). Is it something that works well with an ordinary sized phone, or does it need a tablet or one of those monstrous new Samsung things?

• KevinLew says:

According to the Windows Store, you need Windows 10 to play it?

FhnuZoag says:

Oh… I must disagree with it ‘never gets too hard’. Red circles are pretty infuriating.

3. christmas duck says:

One of my favourite games of last year (I played on an iPad mini) and love it though I did I’m not sure I can see it working on PC, I mean it’ll literally function but the lack of a touch-screen will take away from it I think.

4. Eleven says:

For a moment, I thought you were talking about Proun, the worlds first and only post-modernistic racing game.

5. Jalan says:

Every time I take a long bath.

6. Player1 says:

You should absolutely play this. It’s gorgeous, and its developer, Joel, is a great person. I had the chance to meet him last weekend at the Ludicious Zürich Game Festival, where he won the first prize in the international competition. He’s a very smart, talented and humble guy. When he stepped on stage to take over the prize, he actually told people to go see the exhibition and play the other contestant’s games, because they were so good. Prune actually managed to impress Brenda and John Romero too, who were also attending the festival. Just sayin’.