Yes, Horace, There Is A Beyond Good & Evil 2

Just as Santa Claus is definitely real, we have a duty and a responsibility to support and encourage our youngers’ belief in Beyond Good & Evil 2. They may not even know what it is, let alone the historical origins of this tradition, but they understand that it is important. They understand that we become excited by any hint of its existence. My little niece leaves a plate of K-Bups on the mantlepiece for Uncle Pey’j every E3 Eve.

So yes, BG&E2 is real, okay, because BG&E head honch Michel Ancel talked about it recently, okay.

Ancel visited the gang at Double Fine for their ‘Devs Play’ video series, playing the first BG&E and, occasionally, saying a few tiny bits about it.

Asked about the sequel, with Tim Schafer saying it’s going to be amazing, Ancel says “That’s a problem – no choice. It has to be great. When we started [the first] game there was not that much pressure.” He goes on to explain that while Beyond Good & Evil was unsuccessful, fan support has grown – and keeps on growing. (That chat’s about 48:35.)

At the end, Schafer asks “But you’re still in the headspace of this game because you’re making a sequel, right?” Ancel responds, “Yeah, yeah. But it’s difficult because it’s hard for me to re-do the same kind of game two times, so I always want to do something different. I don’t know how you will manage that for Psychonauts 2, do you stick to the main structure or…”

And then it’s over and it’s time to put on our hats and coats and mittens and head out into the snow, feeling warm in our hearts because it IS real and it’s going to be the most wonderful game, we just know it. And the bells were ringing out for Hillys Day! You’re a bum! You’re a punk! You’re an [yes, that’s quite enough, thank you -ed.]

The last feel-good BG&E2 story we told was of Ancel joining an indie studio while still working at Ubi too, including on BG&E2. But it’s about the spirit, isn’t it, about how it makes us feel, and how it makes us treat each other. Turn to a friend and Beyond Good & Evil 2 is right there with you.

1. 1Life0Continues says:

Don’t play with my heart, Ancel!

I want BG&E2. Hell, I would strangle a Ubisoft employee for it!

Please don’t be a puff of smoke in the rumour wind.

• machstem says:

– Murder suspect “1Life0Continues” is now serving a life sentence for the seemingly random attack on Constance Gerbil of Ubisoft on February 3, 2016. When asked of his reasons towards the vicious attack, he claimed he hoped this would “..help Ubisoft regain his trust in their company and release Beyond Good and Evil 2”.

During a press conference at Ubisoft regarding this vicious attack, which led to the murder of this unwitting victim, Ubisoft has confirmed that it will cease all production on the game.

“While we appreciate the constant support of one of our most beloved games, we cannot and will not in good conscience, continue production of this title in honor of Constance. A mother of three and a thriving member of her community, Constance will be missed deeply at Ubisoft and we hope that fans will continue to support Ubisoft and all its products with this recent tragedy that we have all suffered today”

2. GernauMorat says:

Here’s hoping. Jade is one of my favourite protagonists on any game.

3. go4brendon says:

I think I’ve been waiting for this longer than HL3.

• cpt_freakout says:

Welcome to the desert of the Real, my friend, where BG&E2, HL3, and maybe even Daikatana 2 roam forever.

• Ejia says:

I don’t remember when I stopped waiting for HL3. Perhaps in hindsight I never seriously did.

But this, oh, there is always hope in the deepest corners of my heart for BG&E2 to see the light of day.

4. Glamdalf says:

I will never stop believing in BG&E2 and LBA3.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

LBA3… Sigh… Don’t your hopes though. Frederik Raynal seems to have abandoned his last crowdfunded project 2Dark, not an update in over half a year… I don’t think he’s capable of making another proper game.

• KwisatzHaderach says:

Don’t get your hopes up… Wordflow is acting up today.

Aerothorn says:

The dev blog seems very active: link to 2dark.fr

Are we talking about different things?

• KwisatzHaderach says:

My bad, I seem to have missed something as I was still visiting the campaign site and waiting for subscription updates. Oddly a couple of google searches over the months never brought up the dev blog. Or I was too blind to see it. Anyway, thanks for clearing this up and sorry, Frederik :)

Ninja Dodo says:

I don’t really expect an LBA3 but I would love to see more games in that spirit: that odd blend of stylized but serious, characterful isometric villages, an eclectic mix of gameplay elements and wonderful wonderful music… apart from the isometric perspective BG&E is very much in the same family in that regard.

5. The Dark One says:

I can see where Ancel’s coming from. At this point I’d rather just let my yearning for this game ebb away than have the sequel arrive but be crap.

6. Herring says:

I played BG&E with my daughter when she was 4 or 5. She’s almost 14 now and she still mentions the ending and wanting to know about a sequel :)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Cut to: 35 years later. Alice O’Cyborg has just posted a news article on Rock, Touchscreen, Laser Musket about BG&E2’s mention during a press conference on Sony’s new and improved SPU (Scent Processing Unit) at E3 on Lunar Base 16.

“My dad* and I used to play this when I was a little kid! He used to always talk about a sequel coming out, but I always thought he was full of shit! Although that might just be a memory glitch from my XYZ-Virus implants…

I miss him. :(
      Fuck space jaguars!”

*or mom!

• Herring says:

Assuming a Space Jaguar is a jaguar _in space_ I can live with that.

7. LionsPhil says:

This must have to be in the runnings for the most cancelled/uncancelled long-awaited sequel going, at least in computervideogames.

• Addie says:

After 15 years in development and Ancel managing to bankrupt Ubisoft in the process, completion of the long-awaited sequel to BG&E is handed over to Gearbox studios. The first level is a next-gen reimagining of whatever that final boss thing was at the end of the first one, complete with camera screw and control reversal. Credits cut away to reveal it was all just a computer game that Jade was playing in her luxury penthouse mansion. A couple of andoyne boy-band twins, who to have been knelt down in front of her for her pleasure, ask her if it was any good.

“But what about the *game*, Jade?”

• welverin says:

It’s never been cancelled, of course it hasn’t be officially revealed either. There have just been a lot of rumors and eventually some ‘yeah, we’re working on it’ comments over the years.

• Baron Bacon V says:

It was announced in 2008 with a couple teasers. That is where the screen shot is from.

8. Shazbut says:

Everyone said System Shock 3 was impossible.

Believe.

Ninja Dodo says:

I love this video series. This is definitely a highlight. The Sands of Time one with Desilets was great too. Important pieces of gamedev history. 2PP and DFine are doing good work here. Not getting my hopes up for BG&E returning any time soon, but I look forward to playing it when it finally does.

10. Cimeries says:

If The Last Guardian can actually be released, anything is possible.