Fractured Space Free Weekend On Steam On Now

Fractured Space [official site] is free this weekend on Steam. It’s the early access cousin of Strike Suit Zero, which was from some of the same developers, and trades that game’s nimble space fighters for gigantic capital ships. It’s World of Tanks in space.

That sure sounds like a game that ought to exist and ought be good, but I haven’t played it. Maybe you could check it out this weekend and confirm for me whether either of those things is true.

I mean, here is a trailer, but that doesn’t mean it definitely exists:

The free update coincides with the January update, which solidifies the game’s tech tree in its final form and resets everyone’s progress one last time. That means that “all ships, experience and credits unlocked from this point forward will be reflected in the final game,” no matter what updates are to come between now and the game being finished later this year.

Fractured Space has been in early access since November 2014 and has been updated regularly in that time. This same update also expands the game’s tutorial-like Proving Grounds, adds new equipment and new ships.

The game is free to play on Steam until 10am Pacific/6pm GMT on Monday, although you can keep it forever if you download it within the weekend window.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Misaniovent says:

This game is shaping up to be really great. Currently group matchmaking only allows for groups of two, which is a shame, but there’s been a lot of polish added recently.

2. Crimsoneer says:

Things that didn’t happen before Steam: “Huh, I apparently bought this in April 2015. I have no memory of this happening. Cool beans.”

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah but isn’t finding a now good, finished game in your steam library that you bought 2 years ago a bit like the feeling of discovering little sausages in your beans on toast when you were a kid?

• glocks4interns says:

I think that was around when they previously offered it free.

• plastesin says:

I think this game had been free in past April

• Thurgret says:

I looked at the standard asking price, then at my 0.4 hours played of it, and can only assume that as people have suggested, it must have been free at some point.

3. Captain Deadlock says:

I haven’t played World of Tanks so can’t confirm. I did fire this up last night and it’s … odd. It lost my attention when it started talking about “lanes” and I realised it was one of *those* games.

• Warduke says:

Lanes?? God no.. so tired of all that..

Waiting for Dreadnought.

• Cinek says:

It’s very different than Fractured Space, but IMHO: Better. Makes you think more about tactics, cover, and managing weapons / equipment.

4. Askis says:

While you do have a techtree and some customization for your ships, it’s more like MOBAs than it is like WoT.

5. Farsearcher says:

I’m more interested in Dreadnought than this. I’ve been following it for a while and a friend who took part in the alpha test last weekend said it already seemed polished.

6. Viral Frog says:

Had me at World of Tanks in space, lost me at MOBA. I’m still wondering what it is about MOBAs that people find enjoyable. Well, at least there’s a crowd that will enjoy this game!

7. Rince says:

So, it’s a MOBA? I guess that I will pass then.

8. nearly says:

I had some fun with this the last time they did a free weekend and it’s definitely the kind of game I think I’d really like. The downside was that the balance felt really off, and there were certain types of ships (frigates, I believe) that could just uncontestedly kill everyone else in most every situation. The sniper one especially could kill everyone before they could approach enough to fire back.

But if this is the last reset, maybe I’ll give it another shot and see if the balance shifted. I liked the game when it didn’t feel like I was dying unavoidable deaths to people I couldn’t fight back against.

9. Velko says:

Tried it for an hour last night. Yeah it’s a MOBA. Uninstalled.

• Jalan says:

Thanks for mentioning that, I was really curious about its pricing structures thinking originally that it was always a free game but had “upgrades” to move out of the “free” status during play.

10. fuzziest says:

Hopped in and immediately had team mates screeching at me for going to the wrong point or something. It’s definitely a moba.

Something closer to WoT or warships would be more fun.

11. Victor A Yorke says:

Regards the ‘is it a MOBA’ thing surfacing in the comments – kinda?

There’s lanes (two of them), a time-delayed capture point in the map centre to stimulate teamfights, control of the lanes lets your team level ahead of the enemy, and it’s the typical moba five-a-side team structure.

But, there’s no creeps or towers, the XP equivalent (mining resources from capturable stations in the lanes) are pooled across the teams, no inventory or item system, and at this point the community is very rarely hostile. (the caustic players tend to attract the wrath of the opponents, most interestingly).

If you try it out for the weekend, do the 3 tutorial missions first and in the pre-match ask your teammates what you can do. Generally we’re pretty polite in the game – if something decimated you and you don’t know why, a veteran player will share the knowledge.

• Cinek says:

It’s a MOBA without creeps, towers and jungling. But otherwise – it’s a MOBA with lanes, Roshan, Fountains, leveling, skills, items (only here you pick them before the match), if you’d try you could even split ships into Strength, Agility and Intelligence.

• Spluff says:

So essentially, it’s not a MOBA? Those things are pretty key to the genre.

12. Gilly says:

It’s definitely a MOBA. Maybe it’s one that deviates thematically or mechanically in some aspects, but the structure, content and gameplay are unmistakeable.

13. Blutsuechtiger says:

Hello all,

yes, it IS a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) but Call of Duty Multiplayer is a MOBA too(one “Arena” Map, two teams, one goal). So to point it out in detail, Fractured Space is not a MOBA like League of Legends, Smite or other “casual” MOBAs.
    It is a T3PSS (Tactical 3rd Person Space Shooter).
    Im playing it since the first launch, played all Ships available and must say that it is a jewel onits own. The difference between all ships is just fantastic.
    Is it better then Dreadnought? Can’t say that (I’m in the Alpha for Dreadnought starting on 2nd Feb.)
    The current problem with Fractured Space is the wave of new players that are unwilling to accept help or simply do their own stuff and fail hard by jumping to Gamma when there are still 3 minutes to go until its hot is kinda stupid or engage into 3vs1 battles, notice they will go down and activate the jumpdrive (resulting in getting even more damage and exploding).
    So a rage-quit comes right away and the rest of the game is so unbalanced that you really can’t enjoy it at all currently. I hope that in the near future this will change (somehow) because with players that at least know the basics it is a really good game.