Mass Effect Andromeda, Titanfall 2 Before April 2017

We don’t know very much about Mass Effect Andromeda, and the Titanfall sequel has only been heard of in whispers so dull that I don’t think we’ve even mentioned it at RPS. However, we do now know a teensy bit more about both games: they’re due to launch before the end of March 2017. A new Battlefield is coming soon too, unsurprisingly. I’m not sure what you’ll intend to do with this information. Perhaps you’re planning to have a baby in the next 14 months and might want to add some themed names to the list? Beautiful bouncing baby B3 Wingman.

Those swots at Eurogamer pored over the latest financial reports from publisher Electronic Arts, and here I am cannily looking over their shoulder to copy the answer. Look, EG, you can accept this is happening or I can do it anyway and show you what happens when you cause trouble for me. Good? Good. Look, here’s what EA CEO Andrew Wilson said about their plans for the next fiscal year, which runs from April 2016 to the end of March 2017:

“In [the first quarter], we’ll begin with the creative and innovative Mirror’s Edge Catalyst from DICE launching in May. A great line-up of EA Sports titles are in development for next year, and we look forward to sharing more about these new experiences in the months ahead. An all-new Battlefield game from DICE will arrive in time for the holidays, we’re excited to have a new Titanfall experience coming from our friends at Respawn – and of course, Mass Effect Andromeda from the team at BioWare will launch later in the fiscal year.”

Mass Effect baby names will be tricky, given that what we know is mostly what it won’t do: it won’t be set in places we know and it won’t star people we know. The last trailer hinted its protagonist may be named Ryder, but that’s a TERRIBLE name. You might as well name your child Kaidan. Good grief.

Do bear in mind that your spawn may be less than thrilled when they find out what their name references. Consider obscuring the origins: Ianlusive Manfred would be a great first/middle name pairing. Gary Vikram. Or if you go with Miranda, tell the sprog they’re named after Miranda Hart.

(Er, sometimes I worry people might not fully understand when I’m joking and what I’m serious about. To be clear: please don’t name your children awful things after characters from video games. Don’t even have children. But should you somehow end up with one and want to name them in honour of your all-consuming hobby, do at least name it after a cool revolver. Broken Butterfly is a lovely name.)

phuzz says:

I had a boss who had named his daughter Eve, after the game.
    It’s quite a nice name really.

• Krazen says:

Well it’s a name that’s been around a while, so I hear.

gritz says:

He’s hoping she grows up to be a notorious space pirate but really she’ll just end up being an accountant who daydreams about securities fraud.

• Trifling_Gnome says:

The guy is probably a terrible liar, and just wanted his voice to have a ring of truth to it when he tells his wife he’s been ‘playing with EVE all day’.

2. shaydeeadi says:

Hopefully they won’t destroy Titanfall 2 with another season pass. They need to learn that a game needs to earn a fanbase (irrespective of who is behind it, 90% of people don’t care) before it earns the right to consider that shit worth ponying another £20 up for.

Sell overpriced dress up suits or something. It’s not even hard.

3. Raoul Duke says:

God Titanfall was disappointing. Beautiful, great controls, enjoyable pace of combat, delightful built in double chance thanks to being able to eject and… Far and away the worst online matchmaking ever implemented in a game. Such a shame.

ME4 is obviously very exciting, but they’ll have to work hard to stop the game collapsing under its own weight. I suppose a bit more RPGness and a bit less consolification are too much to hope for, but stranger things have happened.

4. xcession says:

Will not be buying Titanfall sequel if it’s anything like the first. Fool me once, Titanfall…

5. LexW1 says:

Titanfall has really fix-able faults, so 2 could be great. If they learned from 1. If.

ME:A should be amazing, my biggest worries are:

1) If the Shepard-replacement is insufficiently charismatic, the game is not going to fly in the way it should be. The VO needs to be beyond “good” and into top-notch. Of course we’ll have at least two VOs so the odds are decent. But god if they screw this up…

2) The companions need to be sufficiently charismatic and fun. Bioware are unlikely to screw this up but again, really, it’s a worry.

3) Jetpacks somehow screw up the multiplayer. ME3’s MP was literally the best MP game I have ever played. I pretty much died and went to heaven playing it, despite all sorts of crummy things about it. Don’t let jetpacks somehow ruin it guys!

4) Jetpacks somehow screw up the single-player.

5) They somehow screw up the music – like the ditch all the classic ME synths and give us I dunno, twangy cowboy music or something. I mean, I have albums full of Ennio Morricone and stuff, but ME’s musical style is a huge part of it’s soul. ME3 already stepped away from synths towards dirge-y pianos and whilst it worked it wasn’t as amazing as ME2’s stuff.

6) Crappy villain and/or little/no internal conflict on your side.

Aaaanyway, hopefully none of that happens.

Not sure re: consolification vs RPG-ness. ME2 has drastically better gameplay than ME1. ME3 has better gameplay AND better customization than either. So I’m not sure what you’re worrying about there. You want more fiddly numbers or just more choice? I imagine we’ll get the latter.

• Zenicetus says:

I wouldn’t say Bioware is that infallible in creating charismatic and fun companions. They did a good job overall in the ME series, but every companion in Dragon Age Inquisition was annoying as hell, each in their own obnoxious way. It’s like they made them hard to relate to on purpose. It was one reason I never finished that game.

They need to do better with Andromeda — make at least a few characters that don’t have “issues” that would keep them off any respectable away team.

My main hope for ME Andromeda is that for once, they let us actually command and fly the damned spaceship in something other than a cut scene, instead of just using it as a glorified hotel between missions. I know the ME series isn’t a flight sim, but the Normandy seemed like a huge waste of potential in the first series.

• Grim_22 says:

Actually, I read a leaked survey (or something similar) from Bioware, which stated that not only do you get to actually pilot your ship, you also get to seamlessly land on planets with it, no loading screens. Sounds great, if it’s true.

Can’t be bothered finding the source, but should be easy to google up if you’re interested in reading the entire thing – there were quite a few great tidbits about the game.

• James0 says:

I was underwhelmed by quite a few aspects of DA:I (the lack of built-up areas and NPCs, the uninteresting villain, the completely pointless mounts, the slight move towards action-RPG combat, most of the sidequests being so sharply disconnected from the main plot…), but I enjoyed most of the companions, and to me they seemed like pretty typical Bioware characters.

• ooshp says:

7) Please abandon the “Press Space to everything” control scheme. It’s insulting to absolutely everyone playing the game on any platform with any controller.

6. Bull0 says:

The idea of releasing ANOTHER Battlefield game so soon… come on! 4 is fine, nobody needs another one. Work on it for a few years and make something really good, and release it once the current one is really showing its’ age – while supporting the current one really well for a few years so you stoke up loyal fans. That’s so much better than just ploughing it into the ground and salting the earth for everyone else.

7. Auldman says:

Damn I was hoping for Andromeda before the end of 2016 (later this year) and not spring 2017! I really have no games I am really looking forward to (well maybe Dishonored 2) right now and that’s pretty depressing. Guess I’ll keep running through older BioWare titles and the Witcher till then and try to rekindle some interest in the snoozefest that is Fallout 4.

• Trifling_Gnome says:

For what it’s worth, I recently replayed KOTOR and KOTOR II in a post-Force Awakens Star Wars euphoria and they both hold up incredibly well.

• brucethemoose says:

I played for Kotor I and II for the first time BEFORE watching The Force Awakens. They’re brilliant… Hell, they’re better than the movie IMHO.

• Grim_22 says:

Doing the exact same thing, and they’re SO good. I’d forgotten, shame on me.

Celestial says:

Titanfall would have been great if Respawn and EA allowed player hosted servers, instead of being forced to use EA’s matchmaking. Here’s hoping that Titanfall 2 corrects that error.

• thestjohn says:

I believe they didn’t really have a choice about using the Azure servers as they were in a precarious financial position, then MS came along with the exclusivity deal and gave them the virtual server time as part of the deal. There’s a whole bit about it in the “Making of..” book. Sure, they could have tried to write a server browser, but the Azure gaming back-end was a brand new product at the time and was a bit too flaky to have persistent servers available in a browsable form.

• Artist says:

If titanfall 2 will be released on consoles too you can bet they will follow the same matchmaking system crap instead of player hosted servers.

9. Moraven says:

Never had issues with Titanfall MM, for public or private matches.

The had some issues after 4 weeks which were quickly fixed.

• thestjohn says:

Yeah I thought the matchmaking was fine, if occasionally useless at creating balanced matches. And when the player population waned they gave away all the DLC so the pop wasn’t fractured. Haven’t picked it back up since Dirty Bomb came out though.

10. Distec says:

I hope anybody working on Andromeda learned some lessons from what went wrong with the original ME trilogy’s trajectory. Shamus Young has been doing a lengthy retrospective on the series and “where it went wrong”, and I find he manages to articulate a lot of the issues I found with the series in terms of its story and narrative. There were things going awry before Mass Effect 3 or the space brat.

link to shamusyoung.com

I don’t think we’ll ever get the game that Mass Effect 1 had originally promised, but it would go a long ways to just make sure the story is consistent, coherent, and not fraying in several different directions in terms of tone and themes.

• Raoul Duke says:

Mass Effect went wrong now?

• Distec says:

@Raoul Duke

YOU KNOW IT DID, BRUH

@onionman

There’s a danger with a series like this where I become convinced of problems I previously didn’t take note of. But as much as I enjoyed ME2, the total experience did feel off for a myriad of reasons; some bigger than others. I find myself nodding in agreement with almost everything Shamus points out, but it’s all the small changes he details that I find really interesting.

I also think it’s a good counterpoint to some of the “ME fans are entitled” crap that came up at the end of trilogy’s run.

• onionman says:

@Distec

Yeah I’ve had the same reaction. “I enjoyed ME2 and ME3 for the most part, when I played them… is he convincing me of something wrong?”

But probably around 90% of the things he tears apart are problems that I actually did notice when I was playing them, only I was so invested in the characters and the setting that I just pushed those thoughts aside.

• onionman says:

I just wanted to log in and say, thank you so much for that link. I’d never heard of Shamus but have devoured his retrospective over the last day. It’s so, so, so good. Time and again he’s articulated things that I barely even noticed were wrong, about ME2, but now having seen I can’t un-see. Can’t wait for the rest of his take on ME3.

11. TheAngriestHobo says:

My son Grunt wants to have a word with you.

Ninja Dodo says:

Man, I don’t get uncritically hyped about games much any more but Mass Effect Andromeda is one of those games.

13. Cronstintein says:

I guess I’m one of the outliers around here; I really liked Titanfall. It didn’t quite have the legs to sustain my interest long term (which may not even be possible for a shooter anymore) but for a few weeks I played it a LOT and really enjoyed it.
    Then when the DLC became free I came back and had another torrid affair.
    My main complaints would be the small number of unlocks and the auto-aiming pistol thing seemed OP.

14. Artist says:

Titanfall 2: Fail faster!

15. Unsheep says:

Mass Effect Andromeda ?
    I’m still waiting for Mass Effect 2 to come out.

Saltiness aside, I AM interested in seeing what game-world they come up with and what business model they will use.

Don’t worry about citing Eurogamer Trash, they copy all their coverage and opinions from other sites anyway.