Ratchet & Clank Devs Announce Song Of The Deep

“GET IN THE SEA!” you’ll find people shout at things they dislike. They saw someone funnier than them do it on Twitter, y’see. But have you been in the sea? Get in the sea; it’s really nice. Tropical or icy, crystal clear or murky and even rash-inducing – the sea’s great. “GET IN THE SEA!” I yell encouragingly at those dearest to me.

Insomniac Games (them lot behind Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance) agree, and their next game is an undersea Metroidvania named Song of the Deep [official site].

That sea’s pretty nice, isn’t it? I’d like to be in it. Things get a bit weird when the trailer’s combat starts, as the colours and style of the enemies and plasmablasts and dangerbits clash nastily with the environment, but hey, I didn’t say being in the sea is universally pleasant.

Song of the Deep’s the story of a young girl who builds a submarine and dives down after her father goes missing at sea. Insomniac call it a Metroidvania, which means plenty of places to explore and new abilities to gain.

Which reminds me: I must try The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human. And revisit Aquaria.

Song of the Deep will cost $14.99 when it arrives this summer. Yes, no, I know Insomniac mostly make PlayStation games, but this is definitely coming our way too.

1. HellFell says:

It feels and looks a lot like Aquaria, which was beyond awesome.

2. Anthile says:

Are submarines the new dogs? But yes, it immediately reminded me of the perpetual RPS favourite Aquaria. That one came out almost a decade ago.

3. Mokinokaro says:

One thing Alice does not mention is that this game is being published by Gamestop.

Physical discs (not that it’ll affect Pc much) will be exclusive to their stores. We do not know what channels they’ll be using for digital yet.

• welverin says:

They’ve been selling games digitally for some time now, so I’m sure it will just be through their website. The question here is, how’s that work for people outside North America?

Oh, and she also didn’t make it clear Insomniac went fully independent a while ago, it’s just their first non-exclusive skipped PC and wasn’t particularly noteworthy. So it’s hard to remember that fact.

• welverin says:

Finally watched the trailer, and there’s a Steam icon at the end, so apparently the usual suspects.

Guess Gamestop doesn’t care about digital exclusivity, or they realize doing so would hurt the game too much. Unless that was just part of the deal.

• Mokinokaro says:

They bought Impulse from Stardock and drove in into the ground within months through sheer incompetence.

I wouldn’t trust any exclusive digital platform from Gamestop

4. TWChristine says:

I thought this was rather relevant as well: link to arstechnica.com

I imagine the majority of us are buying our games digitally now, but I still thought this was an interesting development.

5. Justoffscreen says:

As others have said, the setting reminds me of Aquaria, but even more strongly so Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

particlese says:

Exactly the two it brought to my mind, too. I’d say the setting is more Aquaria-ish, and the motion of the 3D protagonist and maybe the moving level chunks remind me more of ITSP, but I still have yet to actually play the latter. Queueueueueue!

6. Moraven says:

Being published by GameStop.

Insomniac’s last AAA game was Sunset Overdrive, exclusive to Xbox One, after having done PlayStation only titles for 7-10 years (I guess Fuse was on Xbox 360). They were like Rare was for Nintendo, 2nd party dev that developed 1st party IP. Rachet & Clank, Resistance series.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I just looked them up to remind myself if I have actually played any of their games (nope!) Looks like they’ve done some mobile titles as well.

• Josh W says:

If they’re no longer limited to ps4, I really hope that game gets a port.

7. Nereus says:

Insomniac on PC is something I can really get behind.

8. Javier says:

I’m gonna be the weird one and say this reminds me of Crash Bandicoot. Not that that’s good, since I really disliked the underwater levels.

9. PsychoWedge says:

For a young girl her voice is rather deep…

particlese says:

All that talk of the sea made me think the game was called “Song of the Sea” until the end of the trailer. Probably helps that I saw a movie by that name recently, too, and while its art style is impossible (???) to beat, I’ll go ahead and look forward to this here game anyway. More good Metroidlikes are always welcome.

11. racccoon says:

Good to see a reinvent of the old school game, looks great nice work devs. :)

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This looks a lot closer to what I wanted out of Aquatic Adventure of The Last Human. I bought it and played for about 10 minutes before refunding it. My biggest gripe was that the submarine was boring to control. It literally just sits there unmoving in the middle of the screen. Nothing about it feels underwater. I got as far as the first boss fight (which takes like 5 minutes to get to) and thought I would play some more the next day. I had no desire to go back.

So if I could get the controls of this game plus the pixel art of that game we’d be golden as King Midas’s lunch.

13. homeworld4 says:

Looks like underwater bloodborne to me. Looking forward to the deep-sea lovecraftian horrors!

14. merzbau says:

Is anyone else having traumatic flashbacks to the submarine level of Earthworm Jim?