Ms. Bombastic: 3D Realms’ Bombshell Released

After we turned out the RPS treehouse’s lights on Friday, locked the doors, and ran down to the pub giggling, an explosion blew out the windows. We looked up, our upper lips coated in the foamy moustache of Real Ale, then shrugged. “It’ll wait until Monday” we agreed. And so it has. Rootin’, tootin’, rude ‘tude-totin’, twin-stick shootin’ Bombshell [official site], the game which supposedly grew from the litigation-smashed Duke Nukem Mass Destruction, is out and yeah, it sounds a bit bum.

Bombshell’s a twin-stick shooter RPG starring Shelly ‘Bombshell’ Harrison. That’s where the name comes from. The folks at cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer say it’s rubbish and Steam’s player reviews are not wholly enthusiastic.

Bombshell’s the first new 3D Realms game since… Bombshell developers Interceptor Entertainment bought and relaunched the failed company. They’re big 3DR fans, see. Interceptor formed for an (unfinished) fan remake of Duke Nukem 3D, then remade Rise of the Triad. Hey, if your dad’s pal has worn the same Iron Maiden Killer World Tour t-shirt since 1981, Interceptor can pretend that the ’90s never ended.

Right now Bombshell is £26.99 on Steam and £27.09 on GOG (but, in the UK, giving £5.40 back as store credit). If you have bought it and are having problems, these tips might help. And here’s the launch trailer:

1. Infinitron says:

PC Gamer review:

“As I click-click-click my way through rooms of aliens, she weighs in after every kill. “My car for your life,” she tells a corpse. I don’t have any idea what her car has to do with any of this—last I saw, it was parked at the front gate of the White House.”

except that it gets exploded right after she parks it at the front gate of the white house

“Upon killing a mini-boss, she says “Yes, teacher, the dog ate my homework, so I killed the dog.” What dog? What homework? Please don’t kill dogs.”

you get an assignment to go kill a big quadruped monster that ate a soldier carrying a databook

what could this one-liner be referring to?

• Gunrun says:

Yeah thats the main reason its got such shockingly bad scores, they misunderstood the quips.

Not because its mindless badly designed crashy garbage.

Henke says:

These clarifications aren’t making those jokes a whole lot better.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, explaining a joke rarely makes it better, it simply points out that it’s a bad joke, since an explanation was needed.

And here I am, explaining something that perhaps was obvious :P.

• unacom says:

It´s a tad better than:
          Kill-Bad joke.
          Kill-Bad joke.
          Enters White House. Car blows up.
          Kill-Bad joke.
          Kill-Lame quip.
          Bad joke.
          The End.

2. Spacewalk says:

Wake me if it turns out to be good halfway through. I don’t mind sleeping in.

3. Merus says:

It’s kind of the inverse of the 90s, in which a stupid, bombastic, attitude-laden game is completely overshadowed by a pretty, comtemplative puzzle-solving game.

I’d say ‘set on an island’ but the timing’s not quite right for Myst.

4. ankh says:

Wow she is incredibly angry looking for someone called Shelly ‘Bombshell’ Harrison.

5. Unsheep says:

I usually enjoy top-down shooters, especially classics like Alien Breed (the 1991 version), but they need have decent level design; either something challenging or something interesting to look at…ideally both. From what I have seen and heard Bombshell is lacking in both these areas. Its a cool idea that could have worked, but the game seems unfinished and rushed.

6. rondertaker says:

killers, plural :)

7. Jalan says:

I’m really wondering if they rushed this to try and make up for lost revenue once Gearbox put the stranglehold on Duke Nukem.

• Unsheep says:

That was my thinking as well. They probably felt they had to release ‘something’ after the whole Gearbox problem. The generic look and design of the game shows they did not spend much time thinking about it.

I think Bombshell could have been a success with the right people in charge or in control. In many ways making a generic game is worse than making something quirky, wacky and unusual.

• Urthman says:

That’s always been the problem with 3d Realms they rush games out the door instead of taking the time to make something great.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Unfortunately, there has been an increase in good, stupid, fun old-school-ish shooters, so people who enjoy these kinds of games can easily get something much better.

I thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt, but all these horrible reviews is making me think otherwise.

well, you can always fool some people, though. Cling on to that hope, Interceptor.

8. Turkey says:

Ouch. They couldn’t even get a good score on GOG.

9. Xzi says:

Yeah, this is one I was looking forward to skipping. Now I can! Happy day!