Crusader Kings II: Conclave Arrives, Toting Update

The launch of a new expansion for Crusader Kings II [official site] is a happy time. Folks with spare cash can add an interesting new system to the dynasty-building strategy game, all players benefit from a big free update launching alongside it, and non-players like me get to enjoy the silliness that comes in that update’s changelog.

So, the Conclave expansion has arrived today to add a council who can work with or against rulers, the update has added an infamy system, and I’m giggling at patch notes explaining that humans should no longer give birth to horses and wondering whether “History is no longer executed if the player loads a savegame” refers to somehow sticking the head of history itself on a pike above the gates.

For starters, here are my selected highlights of patches 2.5.0 and 2.5.1, which are both here alongside Conclave:

• Rulers can no longer send legates to themselves to complain.
  • Eunuchs can no longer use seduction focus.
  • Blind chancellors should no longer look inappropriately at your spouse.
  • Being pregnant now gives a -2 personal combat skill modifier.
  • Your eunuch sons will no longer get the serving maids pregnant.
  • Fix that should stop the humans giving birth to horses.
  • No longer blocks female horses from being on the council.
  • Muslims unless they are sinful will no longer die from poisoned wine.
  • The writers of the chronicle will no longer try to cover-up the warning of the coming of Xuhmalz, the demon lord, whom left a message set in stone.

This is, of course, skipping the actually meaningful changes the update brought. Hey, read the notes for yourself, pal.

Anyway, Conclave! The expansion turns your council of vassals into a force who’ll have interests and demands of their own. They can keep a nation settled, or they can agitate and stir up trouble – depending on how you treat them. It’s £10.99 on Steam, though Green Man Gaming will sling a Steam key your way for £8.80 if you use their voucher code 20PERC-WTHGMG-201627. Here’s the launch trailer for Conclave:

But this here video dev diary goes into more detail:

1. TheAngriestHobo says:

Someday, I’d like to be able to play a game through from CKII to Vicky without becoming hopelessly distracted by a shiny new DLC that forces me to start all over.

• klops says:

Sounds a bit too superfactiony. My Denmark is already pretty huge after 200 years of CKII.

During the Vicky era there would be around three factions left. One of them being France.

Or not? Has anyone ever tried? Any recommended AAR or game-diaries or howdoyoucallthem?

• moridin84 says:

A bit of a self-promotion but this is mine at least.

It’s a summary rather than a play-by-play which is what they tend to be.

link to forum.paradoxplaza.com

Reading it again I’m quite amused at the rather breezy way I ended up writing it. I think it was getting quite late by the time I finished it so that’s probably a factor.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Pretty cool, I was going to do a similar thing but after I got as far as forming Britannia, from starting as an Irish earl (England basically collapsed in on itself), I found I didn’t really have a purpose anymore in CKII. No real desire to clash with the monolithic powers of continental Europe, or to go on crusades, and far too much busywork managing my empire for it to be interesting anymore. I still haven’t managed a complete playthrough of CKII.

• moridin84 says:

Interesting fact about the converters. You don’t need to wait for the end of the game before you can convert your game. You could convert your game in 769 to EU4 if you wanted to. My current EU4 game is near 1650 (it ends 1812) and I’m planning to convert it to V2 right there, cause I’m kind of sick of dealing with things.

Anyway, if you let all your vassals be dukes and kings there is not as much management. If you are an Emperor then keep the Kingdom of Ireland but give the other Kingdoms to vassals. Well, it’s quite difficult to do without King vassals these days anyway.

• klops says:

That was nice and just what I meant. Thanks!

2. TheSjoStopper says:

I’m glad for the addition for the Female Horses to the Council. Now I can be an egalitarian Caligula.

• carewolf says:

Yeah too bad they fixed her stats so she can’t be a ruler. The comment there there say it all “This will hopefully prevent Glitterhoof from becoming pope again.”

I want Glitterhoof as pope!

teije says:

Yes, those patch notes are pretty awesome aren’t they?

Just got back into CK2 after 2 years away so the timing for this DLC couldn’t be better. And the changes look excellent too. Just amazing how this game continues to be given new life with substantial enhancements.

4. LetSam says:

And just like that, Paradox has unlocked one more puzzle piece for the Game Of Thrones mod becoming the ultimate Westeros simulation. I’d be great if they could broker a deal between the modders and the rights holders to publish that as an official game.

5. pelwl says:

I wish they’d just stop with all the DLC and actually do something about the interface, particularly the character search function which is basically rubbish and just makes the game drag.

Considering that arranging marriages and choosing council members are some of the most important things in the game it would be nice if you could make effective choices without having to spend forever on it.

• Baines says:

I wish they’d stop with the DLC and make Crusader Kings 3. If they ever do upgrade, it will already take years of DLC releases to catch up to CK2’s existing content, but I cannot help but feel that Crusader Kings would benefit in the long run from that kind of engine and design jump.

• moridin84 says:

Question is, what exactly would be the difference between CK2 and CK3? Everything they want to change or add they are just creating DLCs instead of an entirely new game.

If they did create CK3, there is no way to could have all the various things that CK2 has now.

teije says:

I agree the UI needs some love. The character search is painful to use.

• Arglebargle says:

Yep, time to make a copy, so I can try to finish my various game threads. Because no saves ever survive to the updated version.

• Innocent Dave says:

Apparently if you go to the Beta Versions thingy on Steam just before an update, you can set it to keep running the current build, and it won’t do the automatic update until you turn that off.

• Llewyn says:

Indeed. You can also roll back to an earlier version in this way even if you don’t catch it before it auto-updates.

6. GreatBigWhiteWorld says:

Wow.. I do not like this DLC at all. Tedious as f*ck council, have no idea what AI’s intentions are when it comes to favours… so much feature bloat.

The difference between this and Sunset Invasion is that you’ll be entertained by SI at least once …

7. Neutrino says:

Crusader Kings II is on midweek madness sale on Steam atm for £7.49.

link to store.steampowered.com

Will be nice to have something Paradox to play with while we wait for them to finish Stellaris :)