LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Coming In June

It’s been six weeks since I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens and, on reflection, yes the best bit is definitely the robots and carpet man making all their silly noises. I laughed every time. I have high hopes, then, for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens. TT Games always bring ‘the laffs’ in their plasticised riffs on movies, and they have such strong source material here! We’re not supposed to know yet that their next blocky adventure is The Force Awakens (heck, LEGO Avengers only just came out), but a trailer and Xbox store listing have arrived a bit before the game’s actually announced.

That Xbox listing, which lists the release date as June 28th, explains it all:

“In LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens, players relive the epic action from the blockbuster film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, retold through the clever and witty LEGO lens. The game will also feature exclusive playable content that bridges the story gap between Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

“LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens also introduces Multi-Builds and Blaster Battles to the LEGO videogame universe. With Multi-Builds, use available LEGO bricks to open up new paths, then break them apart and re-build them again to open up another! And another! During Blaster Battles, use your surroundings as cover to stand against the First Order.”

And, look, this trailer isn’t the best rip (it’s from an ad popping up on YouTube videos), but it shows what you want to see so don’t grumble. I’m sure a prettier official version of the trailer, not to mention a formal announcement with more information, will be along soon enough. Here it is!

The formal announcement also brings word of space battles:

“Fans can also experience the thrill of high-speed flight gameplay through arena-based battles and dogfights in space, while utilizing a multitude of vehicles along the way, including the legendary Millennium Falcon.”

Ooh, aah etc.

1. Neurotic says:

Sold.

2. RobinOttens says:

All these lego games and no PC release for lego dimensions. Makes me sad :C That game is like the best Doctor Who game combined with a good Portal sequel and the Lego Movie game that the Lego Movie deserved. Plus it has inventive new puzzle mechanics and cool boss fights and is basically the joyful ‘new approach’ John was asking for in his Avengers article.

Oh well, this looks interesting too.

• iainl says:

Presumably we’re not getting a PC release of Dimensions for the same reason we don’t get one for Skylanders or Disney Infinity. My guess is they’re worried about people tricking the RFID reader.

Still, it did give me a thin veil of excuse for buying myself a PS4 for DriveClub.

• CamWiseOwl says:

We do get Disney Infinity for PC! Although it’s got seriously negative reviews on Steam heh.
        The Readers get tricked on any platform, but that’s for people that don’t care about the figures.

• welverin says:

Looking at those myself that all seems to be whinging about DLC, ignoring the fact we get it on the cheap compared to the console versions and their more expensive toys.

3. Rahdulf123 says:

It’s staggering to compare this to old LEGO Star Wars games. Blocks sure got prettier.

• Morgan Joylighter says:

I think I see physically based shading! That would be a first for a LEGO game methinks.

4. GallonOfAlan says:

First one I’ve really had an interest in since Pirates.

Star Wars
    There was a war
    it was in the stars
    lalalalaaa

5. Janichsan says:

That’s much earlier than I expected. I would have thought they would wait until at least two or more new Star Wars films were released until they make the next LEGO Star Wars. Compared to other LEGO games, this one will have a quite small amount of content.

• Fomorian1988 says:

Might in their favor – they could in some of the blanks of the movie, like what happened to Poe after that crash on Jakku and why wasn’t he looking for BB-8.

• Fomorian1988 says:

*Might be in their favor

• iucounu says:

That’s in the novelisation – as are a couple of scenes which I suspect were in the original cut but not the final movie (including a chase with Rey and Finn on Starkiller Base.)

6. Deakul says:

There isn’t anywhere near enough content for a fully fledged LEGO game, this is going to be a total cash in.

Definitely should’ve waited until after Ep9 came out, I highly doubt the content that’s going to bridge Ep6 and 7 will be substantial.

• Jay Load says:

…after all the Superhero games that weren’t lifted directly from films? I think TT have this covered.

7. Marcus says:

When will they make Lego: Marvel vs Star Wars? :(

• JuergenDurden says:

just make it “lego license wars” and chuck some pirates, wizard boys, whip toting archeologists and bat people in there as well!!!

8. iRaphi says:

it’s kinda strange hearing pegi “7”

9. 0positivo says:

I’ll admit, I’m not very interested in these LEGO games, but I do enjoy every last one of the trailers they do

10. MrLoque says:

Instant buy. I mean, my little boys will love it. Me? Naaah… I am not interested. Not at all. I mean… It’s for them. I MUST have it. For … them, of course. Them. Yes.

11. Universal Quitter says:

I’m still holding out hope for LEGO Ben-Hur.

12. JuergenDurden says:

they should bring this whole licensing shebang full circle and give us the licensed lego-minecraft minecraft-lego game. heads would pop!

13. Big Murray says: