I Shot A Great Many Pigs In Blood And Bacon

On the twentieth level of Blood and Bacon [official site], after I blew the bum off Princess Blubbergut and circle-strafed the colossal pig trying to shoot her vulnerable guthole while dodging torrents of vomit and feces, I thought “Yeah, I’ve probably had enough fun to post about a $1 game.”

The shooter caught my eye for being an escapee from Xbox Live Indie Games, that PC-like outpost of the weird and wonderful. 79p for 100 levels of crude, crass, janky, wave survival with murderous pigs and a giant meat grinder? Yeah, go on then.

Blood and Bacon is a game where, every level, you go out into the same farmyard and shoot a load of pigs. Some are small pigs. Some are big pigs. Some are fast pigs. Some are armoured pigs. Some are skeletal pigs. Some are talking demonpigs. Some are happy to keep attacking even after you blow their head off and feed it into a giant meatgrinder (which turns pigchunks into powerups, obviously). Your only companion is a farmer who’s pinned to the barn wall by a pitchfork, who’ll chat between waves. He’s okay with being impaled, but he really wants you to kill those pigs.

It’s £0.79/$0.99/€0.99 on Steam.

It’s crude and ugly and the shooting is bad and the port is wonky and it’s probably too easy on keyboard and mouse and… I’ve played over an hour so far, just wanting to see what happens next. So far, the answer is mostly “you kill a few dozen pigs and return unscathed” but sometimes I’ll encounter a weird new enemy, or cause a fireworks display by bouncing guts in the air with bullets, or it’ll be a revenge day loading my guns with explosive ammo, or I’ll face another wacky boss. I’m 23 ‘days’ in and still curious to see what’s next. What is this, and why?

Because sometimes shooting hordes of virtual murderhogs is kinda fun.

1. Legotalk says:

Can’t wait for PETA to make a tofu version of this.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

tofu sucks.

• Legotalk says:

Hey now

• Buggery says:

Ah now, but tofu takes on the flavour of whatever you cook it with.

In my personal experience, I’ve found the reason most people don’t like tofu is because they’ve had it served plain or simply deep fried without any sauce. I had a tofu burger recently that was simply deep fried tofu lumps with hollandaise and it was without a doubt one of the saddest, dismal attempts at burger-cookery I’ve ever experienced.

On the other hand, a nice stir fry with some basic spices and dark soy sauce (for that umami) are a recipe for a good time.

• Kitsunin says:

Or because they’ve had it pitched to them as some sort of meat substitute. It is not. Whatsoever. There are probably a hundred wonderful kinds of tofu I’ve eaten in Taiwan and all of them were their own thing, often served alongside meat.

There are good soy-based meat substitutes. They’re certainly still different but they fill the same place in, say, a sandwich. Personally I like them more because with the sickening feeling of biting down on a bit of muscle, the image of taking a bite of a chicken or a cow always flashes into my mind. But to each their own.

2. Zach Fett says:

Such a fun game! I hope the dev brings his other XBLIG games to Steam. Bloody Checkers and it’s sequel, DeadKings were great. Can’t say that about very many of the games in that 360 indie section, most were just awful. But every once in a while you found a good one, like Blood and Bacon, Hidden in Plain Sight, Escape Goat, or a personal favorite, Cthulhu Saves the World.

Thankfully most of the good XBLIG games have been brought over to Steam! Still a few that need some PC love, though.

3. Shelly says:

Wow, this game looks really interesting and for only 79p … gonna have to add this silliness to my collection.

4. Shazbut says:

Alice what is it with you and old-school FPSs? Were you raised by Doom? Did you get taken on camping trips by Redneck Rampage?

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great, just somewhat of an unusual preference.

5. Gotem says:

I was thinking you added the 1812 overture to the video and laughing at how good it matched only to find out it is in the original video traiel

6. Shelly says:

Free DLC Already !!

Apparently the developers, issued a patch to fix any bugs. And, at the same time released FREE DLC already with new characters to play with….