Rollcage Reborn: Grip Enters Early Access

Grip [official site], a Rollcage spiritual successor made by a team including two of the original game’s developers, has entered Early Access. The initial launch only includes a single vehicle but there are seven levels and three game modes. You can also play against AI or splitscreen multiplayer. I am quite excited about this because Rollcage is one of my favourite racing games. If you’ve never played it, absorb the video below to understand why I love it so.

No regard for the normal rules of the road.

Let’s make sure we’re all on the same page here – Rollcage is the best futuristic racing games ever made. It wiped the floor with Wipeout, slaughtered Slipstream 5000, and mauled MegaRace. Some of those fights were tough, others not so tough (I’m looking at you, Lance Boyle). Rollcage is victorious because it doesn’t just go fast, it goes everywhere. The vehicles are double-sided and if they flip over, they carry on as if nothing had happened. If you’re moving fast enough, you can drive up walls and across ceilings. Like in the video.

There’s a long road to travel before the final launch though:

“Our goal is to have the “final” version of GRIP by the end of 2016, though with the right support GRIP will never be final, as we hope to be adding new cars, tracks and possibly pick-ups well into 2017.

The first version out of early access would be a complete version, or in other words, our vision of the full game as it’s outlined in the game design document.”

That complete version will contain eight cars, twelve tracks (across four planets), ten pick-ups and a full career mode, among other bits and bobs. Most importantly, it’ll contain cars that can drive up walls and across ceilings, and loads of weapons so that you can blow them off the damn ceiling and shunt aside their wreckage. The current buy-in price is £11.99, with increases to come as development continues.

And for the MegaRace fans out there, here’s every Lance Boyle cutscene. If you make it through the whole video, leave a comment below and I’ll arrange some kind of prize/sympathy.

I still can’t work out if Boyle’s employers actually murder civilians who protest about the tracks they’re constructing or not. Is MegaRace a virtual competition or do people really die? What is happening?

1. Axyl says:

“Rollcage is the best futuristic racing games ever made. It wiped the floor with Wipeout, slaughtered Slipstream 5000, and mauled MegaRace.”

XGRA (Xtreme G Racing Association) would like a word. hehe :D

• Jekhar says:

As would Motorhead.

• cheesyboy says:

Motorhead was so good. I especially liked the 60fps unlock (played it on PS1).

• Jekhar says:

I used to rock the sublime PC version, with both fantastic 3Dfx support, but also including a sublime software renderer. The PS1 version is not quite as nice, but still good. I’m playing that at the moment. I get a maximum of 50 fps with the PAL version by the way, but with 3 opponents (compared to the 60 fps, two opponents NTSC version).

• cheesyboy says:

Ahh. I think I mi-remembered then. It was the PAL version, so would have been 50FPS.

It was great at the time, though. As a console gamer in the mid-nineties, most racing games (most 3d games, in fact) languished well below 30fps, and it bothered me.

Plus, it was a cool-ass game anyway.

• Vagrant says:

Technically, Ridge Racer 4 happened in the future (released in 1998, game happens in 1999). I call it a win by technicality.

• Turkey says:

Nobody seems to remember Hi-Octane. The one futuristic racer where you can drive a futuristic donut.

Waltorious says:

Hi-Octane was good, but Rollcage is better.

I remember on one Rollcage track, I discovered that I could catch some air off a jump, and then, if I timed it perfectly, shoot one of the streetlights with a homing missile such that the blast would hurl me forward at ludicrous speed. I’d bounce off the skybox and everything. I think I once even overtook the leader that way to win the race. It was awesome.

I also loved taking out multiple cars with a well-timed driller.

From the comments it sounds like Rollcage 2 was even better, I’ll have to track that down and play it.

• Spacewalk says:

Powerslide too. Oh, and Carmageddon although nobody ever really raced in that one.

2. Cinek says:

Great. I remember spending hours in the original. GRIP apparently has a LAN mode & runs fine on a weak PCs (at least one of the reviewers says so) so it might be a great game for a LAN parties – something you very, very rarely get these days.

Sihoiba says:

Will have the million and one extra game modes that Rollcage Stage 2 had?

I don’t think I’ve played a game with as many extras as that.

4. Synesthesia says:

oh GOD, yes! Rollcage is indeed one of the best racing games ever made. The low gravity levels, with active volcanoes were a blast. Also the industrial zone. And the snow levels.

I hope they don’t fuck up the music.

• hemmer says:

I counter with:

• machstem says:

“Rollcage is indeed one of the best racing games ever made. The low gravity levels, with active volcanoes were a blast. Also the industrial zone. And the snow levels.”

I feel like you missed a really good chance to get some great one liners in here. Let’s review this:

“Rollcage is indeed one of the best racing games ever made. The low gravity levels, with volcanoes were…a blast. Also the industrial zone really helped manufacturer a fantastic experience. And the snow levels, how cool were those?

• TechnicalBen says:

I counter with (and had, whish I still had the origional disc not the rip):

Get your own valid XHTML YouTube embed code

5. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Now we just need a UE4 remake of POD.

6. Fenix says:

Oh wow, the memories!

Rollcage was a game of which I played the very limited demo version, fell in love with it but never managed to find the full version anywhere, so it’s forever registered in my mind as “that super amazing racing game I never got to play”.

7. Tiax says:

Wow, I was already happy with how Distance (aka Nitronic Rush sequel) was turning out to be, but this also looks really good !

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Ah, Rollcage. In most games veering off the track into a building results in a crash. In Rollcage you’d end up driving up the side of the building, trying to work out how to get down again without losing too much momentum.

9. hemmer says:

Ah the Rollcage games, played both of them to death with my friends. Barrels of fun. Especially the bajillions of game modes and tracks. And the music was good too.

But most of all it was just such a simple concept, executed so well. Let’s hope they do that again with this one.

10. TechnicalBen says:

I still have the original PC disc. I also have the PS1 music ripped to tape (yes I’m that old).

One question. Is the Early Access playable? I may just break my promise and splash down so cash to give the game a spin.

11. Cyroch says:

‘If you make it through the whole video, leave a comment below and I’ll arrange some kind of prize/sympathy.’

Challenge accepted. I will get to it the minute I get home from work!

12. Thankmar says:

Rollcage, especially the sequel is so good, this might be my first ever Early Access.
    But to add another game fighting for the best Future racer, I think Dethkarz (sic!) was just a touch better than Rollcage and the others.

• Thankmar says:

I played it a little, and its doing most of its things great. Of course there are some missing things, couldn´t you in Rollcage hit gas and brake at the same time to turn yourself into the right direction?
      There are three racing courses in different states of completion, one of them in “very progress” which is not fun. The others are just fine, one really broad for speeding with a tunnel here and there, one more curvy and difficult, with longer passages in tunnels and really tight tubes.
      There are also some arena courses, and a “playground” to zoom about, make stunts and try to collect things.
      Worst thing for me is the music, I might just not be the type for this electronic stuff, but most times I don´t mind the typical Future Racer soundtrack, but here it is very grating.

13. tifaucz says:

Wipeout as Formula Fusion, Rollcage as Grip… now where is my spiritual successor to Colony Wars? And G-Police? Lets get Psygnosys back!

14. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT.

15. cheesyboy says:

I put what must have been about 10-15 hours into the PS1 demo of the original, in an attempt to get a time good enough to win the Official PS Magazine’s competition (for best time in the demo, ofc). It was darned brilliant.

Never actually played the full game, though. Might look this up.

16. Kirasath says:

What? i am not the only one that remembers rollcage?! :D

17. Tinotoin says:

Scramble mode in Rollcage (2, I think?) was a source of much tooth gnashing – amazing.

Both games introduced me to many awesome music artists too – at a very musically receptive time in my life!

18. Urthman says:

Rollcage 2 also had a bunch of stunt-challenge levels (sort of like Trackmania) that were pretty great too.

One of the best parts was how after screwing up, you could restart instantly with no loading screens or menus (again, like Trackmania).

19. ulix says:

While this can obviously never top F-Zero as the best future racing series ever, it does look cool. I’ll keep an eye on it.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I thought I recognized this game but I think the one I am remembering is S.C.A.R.S.

21. Targaff says:

I’m seeing lots of “oooh, hey, I loved Rollcage”, but for the Kickstarter didn’t exactly go Telltale. Was that just due to a lack of awareness or perhaps because they were asking too much in a less popular genre? They earned about as much as Distance got before cancelling.

Waltorious says:

In my case, it was indeed lack of exposure; I would definitely have backed it.

Ninja Dodo says:

My appreciation for racing games has always been somewhat marred by my total lack of interest in cars… so I’m glad less realistic, more off-the-wall racers are making a comeback.

23. Iainn says:

MegaRace was the first game I bought on a CD-ROM. The guy in the shop (EB, probably) was like “Are you sure you can run this?”. Yeah, thanks friend, I’m sure. Anyway, I’ve since completed the game many times so I’ve no doubt seen all the cut-scenes above. Lance used to really grate on me though with his smarmy attitude and annoying face, so I’ll not be igniting those memories again by watching all the cut-scenes back to back.

Rollcage though, me and a friend used to play this all the time. Excellent races, amazing soundtrack (Technology Remix by Boymerang being a long-time personal favourite), and just so much fun. For us, it turned from arcade racer to time trial pretty quickly. Winning the race was nothing; getting your initials as the fastest lap was what really mattered.

Phasma Felis says:

The one thing that’s bothering me is that they’ve designed those cars with zero ground clearance and then taken them offroad. They’re going to be clipping through the track all over the place.

Game looks fun, tho.