Humble Ubi: Grow Home, Gunslinger And Rayman For $1

The hours I’ve spent with XCOM 2 were enough to silence my inner-cynic for a while. It’s the king of sequels. Nothing sets him off on one of his diatribes quite like a Big Publisher Bundle though. What better place is there to cast off all of those unwanted spin-offs and fifteenth entries in series that became stale years ago than a cheap compilation package? What a surprise, then, to find that Ubisoft’s Humble Bundle packs in three of the company’s best recent releases in the $1 or more tier. Grow Home, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Rayman: Origins for the price of a croissant.

Three great (and varied) games for a dollar. That’s a lovely offer. It’s available for almost two weeks as well, so you might even be able to borrow a buck in that time should you require assistance. Maybe someone will buy you the bundle as a Valentine’s Day gift.

If they were to pay above the average (currently $6.88) they’d also unlock side-on spin-off Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Far Cry 3. Not romantic enough? $15 secures Assassin’s Creed Rogue, which I never played. The Wikipedia entry is a cauldron of convoluted plotlines: “[Rogue]…acts as a sequel to 2013’s Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and a prequel to 2012’s Assassin’s Creed III with its final mission being the prologue to 2014’s Assassin’s Creed Unity”. Ha ha ha. Borgesian labyrinths.

That fifteen bucks will also get you a copy of The Crew, the open-world multiplayer driving game that looked like a dream before release but wasn’t a multiplayer American Truck Simulator at all.

The highest tier, $75, gives you all of the above, plus you’ll have preordered The Division and have a t-shirt to show for your troubles. You’ll be able to walk into bars and tell people, “I preordered The Division but all I have to show for it is this snazzy/crappy t-shirt”. That tier also contains a voucher that gives you 66% off Ubisoft titles in the Humble store. “Excludes certain items”, says the site. And there’s my inner-cynic barking again. Let’s move away from these preorders and vaguely applicable vouchers and remember the good times.

Three great games for a dollar. Lovely.

1. ghling says:

UPlay keys? No, thank you.

• Optimaximal says:

Grow Home & Gunslinger are Steam Keys. It’s strange Oranges is UPlay, given the big fuss they made on its release about it being DRM free and on Steam.

• Alien426 says:

The distribution of keys seems weird to me. All games are available on Steam and on uPlay, yet some get Steam keys, others uPlay …

• Junkenstein says:

Not all games need to open Uplay when you have them on Steam. I think that’s the difference.

• minijedimaster says:

Couldn’t agree more. Ubisoft couldn’t pay ME to accept this bundle. That company can go suck it.

2. tonicer says:

Gunslinger alone makes this bundle worth it. It’s a highly scripted linear singleplayer western shooter with a funny story and the most important part about a shooter … the guns feel great and are fun to use. If only it wouldn’t have a slighlty cell shaded graphic style. I would like it more. And it’s missing a coop mode. It is worth at least 20$ imho.

Harlander says:

Grow Home is a delightful little diversion as well.

• Blackcompany says:

Completely agree. For $1, Gunslinger is cheap enough I would feel bad getting it at that price. Its quite good, so long as you know what to expect going in, with some of the finest narration and voice work I have ever experienced in video games. Not to mention, the shooting is fun and the areas sufficiently varied that its well worth the experience at a far higher price than this.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Gunslinger is a brilliant game. Can’t recommend it enough! The guns just feel right. And the arcade mode is absorbing like a good rally game. Love it.

• Guvornator says:

Also worth mentioning, the narrative framing is top notch. From levels changing as the main character gets called on his exaggerations to enabling sudden death situations, the idea of the game being one long reminiscence is very smart. It’s one of my favourite FPS games and worth $1 of anyone’s money.

3. The Librarian With No Name says:

Definitely read “Borgesian labyrinths” in a Phil Ken Sebbin voice.

4. Raoul Duke says:

Anyone care to comment on the value of the Rogue/Crew tier? Black Flag was bloody good, apart from the assassin bits.

basilisk says:

Simple analogy is that Rogue is to Black Flag what Revelations was to Brotherhood.

It’s rather obvious it was made by Ubi’s B team; the production values are definitely lower and it’s essentially just more of Black Flag with bits of AC3 thrown in. Even the story is designed to tie up all the loose ends in the whole 18th century series and as such can be nice if you’re a fan, but is ultimately quite pointless (just like Revelations).

It’s not a bad game, but it’s a very sequelish kind of sequel. The kind of thing that outside observers probably think that every AC sequel is like.

• YohnTheViking says:

Pretty much this. I haven’t quite finished Rogue, but from what I can tell you’d want to choose either this or Black Flag from the Assassins Creed lineup. You could end up finding Rogue much too bloated with ideas though.

• Junkenstein says:

I love The Crew. Most people don’t. I don’t get it. I think it’s worth £10 just to drive around.

• Unsheep says:

To me Rogue is mainly about the ship battles, if you loved those in Black Flag you might enjoy Rogue as well. Story-wise I thought it was a nice break to play the bad guys for once, I really appreciated it, and it makes the game stand out among all the other Creed games.

The Crew is fun if you like open-world arcade racing. You get to drive around in many different sceneries with a ‘Fast and the Furious’-inspired storyline. Its a fun game if you don’t take it too seriously, its ultimately all about racing around in a huge open world with some cool cars.

In my opinion having a storyline in a game like The Crew is completely unnecessary, but it doesn’t ruin the game for me. If you like cliché action films, which I unashamedly do, its OK having it there. Personally I would pay $15 just to get The Crew, but I’m a big racing game fan so I’m heavily biased by nature.

5. Geebs says:

Got it for Grow Home, CoJ:G and James Spader’s Blacklist. Shame about having to once again knock the blister off the festering chancre that is Uplay but there you go.

Neurotic says:

My kids and I just finished Rayman Origins on our Wii this morning — absolutely fantastic game, more than worth it. The soundtrack alone is worth full price!

• Ksempac says:

Interesting, i had an awful experience with this game.

This was my first Rayman since the first one which i loved, and it was a huge disappointment. Rayman Origin felt empty, soulless. I really had to force to finish it (including the hidden level you get by freeing the Lumies…which is actually by far the best)

One friend suggested it might be due to playing solo, and that it would be much better as a multiplayer game…were you all playing together ?

7. Urthman says:

Grow Home was one of my favorite games last year. It’s the most charming, Nintendo-ish 3D platformer on PC since Psychonauts or Rayman 2. The climbing, jumping, beanstalk-riding, leaf-bouncing, gliding, catapulting, and jetpacking all feel dynamic and exciting and it does a great job of making you feel like you’re doing it all very, very, way-too-far-up high in the sky. It’s the best feeling of don’t-look-down-vertigo since Giants: Citizen Kabuto.

• Distec says:

Yes, Grow Home is an excellent little treasure and I’m so happy UPlay isn’t required for it. I found it be so fun and relaxing, lacking the usual antagonists and obstacles that can make other platformers feel like a chore.

8. lokimotive says:

It’s really quite charming. Every time I see a screen capture from it I get a warm fuzzy feeling again. I also kind of got a sense of Beyond Good and Evil’s best exploration bits. There’s an especially similar vibe to animal hunting in Grow Home and taking pictures in Beyond Good and Evil.

I’m torn between wanting a sequel with several different worlds, and more gadgets, and just leaving well enough alone. At any rate, for anyone contemplating this bundle who doesn’t have Grow Home, it’s well worth a dollar. Hell, it’s worth 8 bucks direct from Steam without any of the other games in the bundle.

9. JuergenDurden says:

Huh, I’ll buy that for a dollar!

First reply (leave a mail address) can have my “grow home” key, already finished it shortly after it came out, great fun.