Procedural Road Trip Sim Jalopy Drives On Greenlight

I can’t remember the last time I was so excited about a game that damn near no one else has heard of. RPS has been doing its best to rev your engines. Over the course of Jalopy‘s [official site] (née Hac) development so far, we’ve written four posts about the procedurally generated road trip, Alice and I racing one another to share the latest GIFs of its Yugoslavia-inspired landscapes, first-person shopping trips and flat tire changes.

Here’s another attempt: Jalopy is now on Steam Greenlight with two new trailers to enjoy.

The first video introduces the game and its basic features, including driving and shopping and repairing:

The second introduces your faithful chariot, which you can customise as you travel by swapping parts in and out of the engine, modifying the balance between oil and fuel, and purchasing items for your own travel kit.

There’s lots we know about that the videos don’t show, however. For those you should still turn to the game’s judiciously updated development log. There are glimpses of generated urban environments, dialogue systems (for your uncle, who is travelling with you), and much more.

I adore driving games, including the likes of Euro Truck Simulator 2, but the idea of climbing behind the wheel of a more personal, narrative-driven journey in an old banger, sounds sublime. If you feel the same, you can give it some thumbs at the Greenlight page linked above now.

1. Synesthesia says:

Oh, this sounds very very good. Maybe the dream of the proper taxi simulator is not that far away.

alison says:

The most interesting taxi sim i’ve seen on greenlight recently is this one: link to steamcommunity.com

It looks to be mixing Quarantine with Deus Ex with i don’t know what, but i am pretty hyped. I don’t think RPS has covered it yet. Here’s hoping.

Harlander says:

Interesting. It kind of looks like you’re driving around the city from Satellite Reign (on the one day a year it isn’t downpouring)

2. TΛPETRVE says:

Is this the same as Hac, or a different game?

3. Siresly says:

I’m also quite into what this game’s doing. At least in theory.

Would like to highlight Jalopy’s Finnish cousin; My Summer Car. Hopefully it’s still being worked on.

Wheels of Aurelia also seems pretty cool and has received some positive mentions. The beta is just $5 (includes future Steam key), but personally I’m waiting for the game to get done.

4. Blackcompany says:

If there is any chance I can use a wheel and pedals for the driving ng bits someone will need to drag me away from playing it for hours…

• wd40glid says:

I know! I’ve tried to find a good cruising-around sim, but no luck. GTA V would be perfect but doesn’t support wheel and pedals. Games like burnout paradise and the crew doesn’t have the physics and/or cockpit views. Maybe this will be it?

5. caff says:

I feel like I need this beige-ness in my life.

6. Dudeist says:

This car can’t run on Super fuel

edna says:

Project Cartoon

8. buzzmong says:

Any game where you play as The Stig is worth a looksee.

9. Kollega says:

I would be all over this if the colors were a little less drab. As it is, though… not really that attractive to me. If the dev is reading this, could there perhaps be a color correction option/cheat that makes the game’s colors more vivid? Doesn’t seem impossible, with the flat shading aesthetic and all.

10. racccoon says:

lol fuel tank in the engine bay KaaABOooOOOM!!

11. maweki says:

Nice. This car is based on the actual GDR-produced car “Trabant 601”.

This car had front-refueling (which is included) but it also had a manual fuel-valve to the engine which had to be opened in order to drive. Wonder whether they include that.