Shadowrun: Hong Kong – Extended Edition Coming Soon

You can hang up your cool leather jacket and grow out your sloppy neon haircut, oh I know, but part of you will always want to yell “HACK THE PLANET!” and stick it to the megacorps. Harebrained Schemes just can’t stop slipping back out into the grimy streets of our cyberpunk future. They revisted Shadowrun: Dragonfall with a Director’s Cut, and now they’re returning to Shadowrun: Hong Kong to expand it a bit with hours more stuff to do. What they’re working on is a bit vague for now, but the important bit is that it’ll be free.

Pretty much all we know about Shadowrun: Hong Kong – Extended Edition comes from this Facebook post says:

“Almost ready to go back to Hong Kong? We’re adding 5+ hours of gameplay and a Dev Audio Commentary! (Same low price, lots more content! And updated free to everyone who already has the game!)”

You can hear a snippet from the audio commentary on Soundcloud, about how everybody loves Kindly Cheng. The commentary has “over 100 minutes of developer insight and fun”, Harebrained say.

The Extended Edition is coming “soon”, so… within the next few months, I’d guess? Harebrained also have their roguelikelike Necropolis coming in March.

Alec liked the original release of Hong Kong, but found it all very familiar. How about you, and what would you want from the Extended Edition?

[Ta for the heads-up, Destructoid.]

1. geisler says:

Unlike most people i liked Hong Kong just as much as Dragonfall. Will be looking forward to another playthrough in the future with more content.

If there ever is a new Shadowrun game however, i wouldn’t mind the switch to a better engine, and some added tactical complexity to the combat.

• Lukasz says:

What’s wrong with the engine? I finished Dragonfall just in November and I found it beautiful and very enjoyable.
      You are right thought about complexity combat. It needs improvement, at least to Fallout Tactics standards.

• thelastpointer says:

The combat was alright. After SR, I started Dragonfall on Hard difficulty, and it was more interesting. Then I stopped playing in the middle of the campaign for about two months, and I had to return to Normal; I’d say this is just right, at least for me.

• Spherical says:

For me it was the character models. The very limited customization of your characters appearance made it difficult for me to relate to my character in a meaningful way. The animations of all characters in game was also something that stood out.

I guess the basic character models stood out even more due to the stunning environments you explored.

• mouton says:

I actually liked Hong Kong more for various reasons. It is, in many ways, considerably richer – the companions and cybernetics are significantly more interesting, for example.

Dragonfall is excellent, though. What wonderful series it is.

• Viral Frog says:

You know, I never do kickstaters. But I did for Hong Kong because HBS nailed it with the two prior entries. Then they released this game with such a worthless cast of throwaways. Gobbet, Is0bel, Racter, what’s-his-face-with-muscles. Ugh. The only character worth anything was Gaichu. On top of that, all the non-party characters you interact with are even more dull than your party characters. The environments are so big, beautiful, and at the same time, completely lifeless. I’ll never back another HBS product again. -_-

• EighthNote says:

Man, that breaks my heart a little. HBS is one of the few companies that reliably delivers excellent games with Kickstarter money, and they deserve all the support they can get.

Plus, Is0bel and Gobbet were adorable together!

2. Janichsan says:

This is probably about the mini campaign that was the last stretch goal on Kickstarter.

• Infinitron says:

Yes. And it’s probably coming sooner than within the next few months.

Sihoiba says:

Here’s hoping it won’t require starting the whole game from scratch again to play. I never played the director’s cut of Shadowrun Returns because I’d already finished it at that point and don’t have enough free time to replay games.

Sihoiba says:

And by Returns I meant Dragonfall

• dungeoncrawl says:

Agreed. While I liked HK, I don’t want to start over.

• Viral Frog says:

The Kickstarter did mention this would be for characters that had finished the base game… So I’ll never play it, because I couldn’t slog through the poor writing any further than I did.

4. Unsheep says:

Cyberpunk RPGs are still extremely rare compared to the myriad of Fantasy RPGs that are out there, and these Fantasy games have settings and gameplay that is even more familiar. So Hong Kong still feels very unique to me.

Harlander says:

Sci-fi RPGs in general are a little bit thin on the ground. It’s a shame.

• MisterFurious says:

Shadowrun is Fantasy. Fantasy doesn’t means swords and dragons and magic. It’s a genre of fiction that contains elements that are impossible. Fantasy games can be set in the Future or the Past or modern day. If there’s an impossible element, then it’s Fantasy. If there’s a possible element that just doesn’t exist but could, then it’s Science Fiction.

• gunny1993 says:

Shadowrun is a very sci-fi genre (cyberpunk) that is melded with fantasy tropes, whilst it uses those fantasy tropes heavily they don’t really affect the tone of the setting. We still have the core of cyberpunk i.e. what happens when humanity is swallowed by its greed and falls to rabid consumerism, oligarchy and other nasty things. The existence of magic changes nothing of these things and is used just as another form of “technology” to control people.

It might even be better to call shadowrun “speculative fiction inside a sci-fi setting with a dash of fantasy” Probably the most accurate way.

• draglikepull says:

The official web page for the game says that it’s “cyberpunk-meets-fantasy”, which seems accurate to me. It’s a mash-up of genres.

teije says:

Nice – I backed this game and still haven’t played it. So I’ll just wait until this is out!

• caff says:

I’m kind of similar – I backed it, then played for about 15 mins but for some reason just kind of moved on to playing something else. Not sure why, maybe it didn’t grab me as much as Dragonfall.

Thinking I will hang on for the new edition then restart :)

6. Ubik2000 says:

Yep, that’s what I was waiting for. Seriously, is there any point playing any of these games before the inevitable “Enhanced” or “Complete” version?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That’s how I feel as well. Pretty much when any isometric RPG gets released I now assume there will be an updated version and I should wait for that one. It especially sucks when old saves don’t work with the new version. I would have absolutely finished my Wasteland 2 campaign if only the Director’s Cut worked with my 80 hour save file.

teije says:

Certainly not when its an RPG spanning dozens of hours. I’ve been holding off on Pillars for exactly that reason.

• Jekadu says:

It’s fairly harmless in this case. The mini-campaign was a Kickstarter stretch goal, as was the audio commentary, if I recall correctly. It doesn’t seem they’re actually touching the base game, nor does it look like they’re making any extra money from this. The new name is probably just a way to catch more eyeballs (or a way to get around Metacritic’s once-and-done system).

7. Laurentius says:

Sweet, I am playing SR:Hong-Kong right now and I am enjoying it very much.

8. draglikepull says:

The original Shadowrun: Hong Kong was my 2nd favourite game last year (after Metal Gear Solid 5). Such a fun game. Probably the best of the Shadowrun games they’ve Kickstarted, and I’ve enjoyed all of them.

9. Sound says:

SR:HK is my favorite Shadowrun game, due largely to the story and characters. And that’s a tough competition! The setting, premise, and ambiance of main plot was absolutely horrifying to me. No other game’s story succeeded so resoundingly in creeping me out and investing me in the outcome. Particularly as I age and begin to care less and less about the main plot. Where I couldn’t bring myself to finish either Dragon Age or Pillars of Eternity(!!), SR:HK made me regret it’s campaign end.

A lot of truly excellent characters, too. Too bad it’s mechanically impossible to make your own character so interesting as your companions. Would love to see another Shadowrun game eventually that allows you to better define your own path.

• Viral Frog says:

I wish I felt the same way. After loving Shadowrun Returns and then being blown away by Dragonfall, HK was the biggest disappointment I’ve felt in a game in years. The only character that I thought was interesting was Gaichu, and his story didn’t last nearly long enough. The rest of the cast felt like uninspired throwaways. The plot was too “you are the chosen one, save the world”. Sure, that can be used to great effect, but it wasn’t here. It was pretty cookie cutter, IMO.

• Sound says:

Did you go through the rather long dialogue & plot arc with uh… The Russian rigger dude whose name escapes me, who lives next to Daichu’s quarters on the ship?

It was a bit of a slog to begin with, but it eventually turns into what I thought was a highly original character. They really rode the line with tedium there, but I think it was worth the risk.

10. xalcupa says:

Curses, just finished HK.
    Really enjoyed it and also the previous iterations. Loved the revamped decking. Not sure I will have the strength to play the directors cut version though.

As a side note I wish to highlight that I love this small module release concept. Each game module is sufficiently long so that I do not loose interest and overall well written story/characters. Wish mode developers would do this.

• geisler says:

Except it’s not a Director’s Cut of any kind. It’s an additional mini campaign (spanning a few hours) to be played after the main one.

11. oorn says:

i love shadowrun games, great story, perfect atmosphere, lot of text, these are return of true crpgs era!!! this one is especially like graphical story telling rpg!
    im waiting for Battletech game from the shadowrun devs, similar to the shadowrun setting, but with the gaiant mechas.