Batman Foils Penguin: Arkham Knight Scraps Linux, Mac

Oh dear. It’s a shame that Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] has been such a mess on PC because it is a pretty fun game. But it was pulled from sale the day after launching due to its awful performance, took five months to relaunch, and was still a bit wonky after that. That’ll sour impressions a touch. Now Arkham Knight’s planned Mac and Linux versions are cancelled. Even though Batman himself digs *nix! Oh dear.

Publishers Warner Bros. said in a small statement on Steam:

“We are very sorry to confirm that Batman: Arkham Knight will no longer be coming to Mac and Linux. If you have pre-ordered Batman: Arkham Knight for Mac or Linux, please apply for a refund via Steam.”

That’s it. That’s all. And yes, you will need to apply for a refund yourself – do remember to do that. Yes, there are ways to play Windows games on Mac OS X and Linux but it’s not the same as a native version; Batman wouldn’t settle for that MacGyver nonsense.

It seemed important that I research whether Batman himself uses Linux – reasons, y’know – and The Internet’s Greatest Detectives say it’s likely the Batcomputer runs some sort of Unix-y, Linux-ish doodad.

“He wouldn’t use Linux because Linux uses The Penguin as their logo,” Pip tells me.

Nice.

Then I stole the core of her joke for this post’s headline.

A bad friend.

1. Thankmar says:

What a nice post about so dreary news!

2. Halk says:

I wonder why I haven’t seen anyone reporting that the “exclusive until fall 2015” PS4 DLCs are actually never coming to another platforms, making it yet another lie of this shoddy publisher?
    link to youtu.be

• Halk says:

Umm… you probably can’t read the fine print unless you view the video on YouTube directly.

• Agnol117 says:

WB announced a few months back that the PS4 content wasn’t coming to other platforms, though as far as I know no “official” reason was given for this.

3. Unsheep says:

Considering the risk that comes with pre-ordering any AAA-title on PC I can’t understand why so many Steam users seem to do it. Is the allure of playing a game fresh on release so high that it negatives the perceived risk ?! All you have to do is wait one day for reviews and tests to come in.

On the other hand we shouldn’t !have! to worry about whether a game works on our PCs. The fact that they are offering the games up for sale indicates they have a finished and ready product; people did not buy ‘Batman Arkham Knight Early Access Alpha 2.1’, they bough ‘Batman Arkham Knight’.

I’m still angry after buying AC Unity for my brother and having it be completely unplayable on PC. Its not just about the money, its equally about the heavy disappointment and frustration that comes with it.

• Chris Cunningham says:

* Preordering:
      * A port from a console:
      * Of an AAA game:
      * With the expectation that there would be a subsequent port to Mac OS or Linux.

Anyone who has done *any* of the above more than once should be sectioned. Nothing says “I would literally live in a kennel if a major publisher asked me to” any louder.

(FWIW I’m currently enjoying Valkyria Chronicles, which was an AAA game when it was originally released six years before the Windows port, but it’s been repeatedly cited as the major exception here.)

• fish99 says:

Buying shortly after launch means you’ll pay the highest price for a game. The best pre-order price is usually around 4-6 weeks before release, then the price goes up to a peak at launch, and then may take 3-6 months to drop back below that best pre-order price.

Example – R6 Siege you could get for £17 a month before launch, £28 at launch, £35 a week later, and it still hasn’t dropped back to £17. So if you’re saving 30% every time you pre-order, as long as <30% of those games are bad, you're saving money.

Of course none of this applies to Steam where there is a fixed rip-off price for anything new.

4. VeritableHero says:

The post headline made me chuckle. Kudos to you both!

particlese says:

And the image’s title text made me laugh a bit more than a chuckle on the train. Probably earned me a few eyeballs with that…

5. AbyssUK says:

So does this also put the final nail in the coffin to the series.. because as you state a pretty fun game and a great series overall… do we think another will ever see the light of day ?

• JuergenDurden says:

it was always intended as a trilogy i think (disregarding the awful origins since that was noit rocksteady), and imho everything after asylum went in the entirely wrong direction.

i always imagined a true open world with civilians and traffic and events scripted to proper times of day (or night rather) with stretches of nothing but regular bat-patrol happening in-between, a real city rather than a disneyland gotham, some proper detective work involving puzzles and deduction and most of all a co-op campaign mode where you and a friend can bomb around in any constellation of bat family members to tackle the story and different paths depending on who you choose…. what we got instead was more and more and more empty spectacle and stuff-collecting. i wanted bat-simulator, what i got was “press x to make outlandish stuff happen”. so yeah, i hope this series is done.

• PancakeWizard says:

The Arkham trilogy is finished narratively anyway, this was just a not so gracious exit. It’s still a good game though. If you’re sensible and waited out the terrible launch, you could get it (on Windows, obviously) for £25 with all the DLC included. It’s better than ‘City, not as good as ‘Origins, IMO.

6. Zephro says:

Bah! Well screw that then I’m not going to get it in a sale until it’s VERY discounted now, instead of £15.

7. deABREU says:

Further proof that WBG is dropping any resemblance of support for PC.
    Disappointed but not fully surprised, given their behaviour in the recent months.

8. hailogon says:

Well porting duties for the last couple of Arkham games have been outsourced to Feral Interactive so it would be interesting to know how exactly this relationship broke down on this occasion. Was the source code provided to Feral just not good enough to work with? Or was it something about the amount of proprietary Nvidea tech in use that made it impossible to port?

Feral are a decent outsourcing company so I’m surprised the port has gone this way.

• MadMinstrel says:

Feral? Wasn’t it Iron Galaxy?

• Janichsan says:

Feral does the Mac/Linux ports. Iron Galaxy ported the game from consoles to Windows.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

A bad friend…or a bat friend?

10. montorsi says:

It’s absolutely wretched what Warner Bros has done to an excellent game.

11. Anthile says:

It’s amazing how much goodwill WB are willing to throw away. This is almost Konami levels of self-destruction.

12. Chorltonwheelie says:

But…but, everyone knows Mac and Linux are better than Windoze (snigger…see what I did there)?
    Surely it would run fine without MS Windows 3.1 running the show.

Hodge says:

I’m a Linux person and I didn’t realise the port had been announced in the first place. So, err… sucks to them?

Kudos to Pip’n’Alice for the headline though.

14. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

So, from a curious B:AO owner (came free with my graphics card) is it actually working now?

• Sascha23 says:

After the patches, the game is very smooth for me (i7-4400 @ 3.8ghz w/ 970 and 16gb RAM). I think it’s a great game and well worth the ride.

WB ruined their rep by delivering a crap port on day 1 and I think most PC gamers are very unforgiving (for good reason), even as the dev/publishers works to make amends.

• frogulox says:

I have no dog in this race, not owbing the game and having a shit rig anyway;

Delivering a product widely regarded as non functional, releasing a few patches to attmpt to correct this (not completely is my understanding) and then shedding features and whatnot until the product as it exists is more in line with expectations is not making amends.
        Neither is the free season pass to the broken game or the offer of a refund.

• Sascha23 says:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Arkham Knight. Origins is also a decent port (post-patches). It ran just fine for me.

• PancakeWizard says:

Origins has been working fine for ages.

15. racccoon says:

I got no problem with this game & never had a complaint about it, its well made and plays well, the unfortunate bit is I have to in order to play it, use friggin steam.