Cities: Skylines Snowfall Sweeping In On February 18th

I haven’t played it in a few months, but I think about Cities: Skylines [official site] every other day. I’m full of unresolved intent: to build new kinds of cities, dig further into the last expansion, to go hunting for new mods on the Steam Workshop. Perhaps the next expansion, Snowfall, will be when I make these goals a reality. We now know it’s due for release on February 18th.

Snowfall is all about adding snow (!) to the game, but it’s more than just a white texture layered upon the world. As mayor of your self-built city, you’ll need to learn to do what English local councils cannot and deal with heavy snowfall. One of the developer diaries explains that this means hiring snow plows to keep traffic flowing, and that you can also pass new policies such as demanding “elderly people to wear anti-slipping studs on their shoes to increase their health.” The simulation now takes temperature into effect too, causing houses to use more electricity and heating when blanketed by snow and requiring you to build new pipe systems to supply the demand.

Aside from the snow-related additions, the expansion also introduces trams to the game. These function similarly to buses, but you’ll need to build them their own tracks and depots, of course. Given how much of Skylines appeal lies in its traffic simulation, that sounds surprisingly exciting to me.

I spoke just a moment ago as if layering a white texture over the world wouldn’t be enough to appeal to me, but that’s not wholly true. I’m looking forward as much as anything to the expansion changing the ambiance of my cities, much as I look forward to the shifting of the seasons in the real world.

The expansion will set you back $13 and though there’s no GBP price yet, current exchange rate puts that around £9.

Here’s the Snowfall announcement trailer, if you haven’t seen it yet:

1. froz says:

Anyone knows if they fixed the issues with cargo train transport issues since the game was published?

• emorphien says:

That was so annoying.

I thought it had been fixed, but I haven’t played in a while. I feel like it had gotten better.

2. sorian says:

So, is it coming out on the 18th or the 28th? Title says one thing and the article says another.

3. MrFinnishDude says:

I wonder, knowing that this is a Finnish made game, does it take other nations problems with snow to properly account? As of course, in Finland everyone goes to work and school even if there’s a meter of snow and -30 Celsius outside. There are no american “Snow Days”.
    Also every single Finnish house is built with proper insulation and double pane’d windows and heating from the get go. I heard that in the UK it’s quite not so, causing a lot of elderly people to freeze to death in their homes.
    I have no idea how they would implement the architecture problem in the game though. Also there’s the matter of sanding the streets so just plowing ain’t gonna cut it.

• LionsPhil says:

The UK, at least southern, version of this expansion may as well just be a “game over” screen. We just cannot understand weather that isn’t drizzle. (Hot summers catch us out year after year too.)

• Neurotic says:

Funny, for me, I think of this as a ‘Poland Simulator’ — trams and snow, trams and snow. :D

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you name your city “Toronto” does that mean you can call in the army any time there is a blizzard?

• Anthile says:

As a German, what’s a snow?

Bluerps says:

As someone who lives in Baden-Württemberg and had to basically slide home two weeks ago because the ground was fully covered in thick ice and snow, I raise my brows at this question.

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

The inability of most Americans to cope with snow is quite amazing. We had a modest “snow emergency” in the Twin Cities the other day and the number of people who were unprepared to drive through a thin layer of powdered snow astounded me.

I blame salt and “all-season” tires.

teije says:

The term “all season tires” should be banned. Quebec did the right thing in making winter tires mandatory.

• Kollega says:

You can also try any Russian city on for size… as well as any Belorussian or Ukrainian one, or any one in the north of Kazakhstan. Same as Northern Europe in regards to temperatures and snow amounts, except you’d be lucky if the roads are cleared and the ice is chipped off sidewalks at all.

4. April March says:

I was thinking trams might come to people who didn’t buy the expansion, like the day-night cycle did when the previous one came out, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I really like trams, but don’t care for snow. I’ve never seen it in person and suspect it to be an elaborate jest.