Doom On You: New Doom Summoned To May 13th

Here’s me muttering about one newstyle oldstyle FPS when along roars word of a right biggun: Doom [official site] will be upon us on Friday the 13th of May. That’s almost twelve years since Doom 3, you know, and twenty-something years since the original two Dooms this new one seems to be calling back to more. This news is accompanied by a wee new trailer full of demons, dismemberment, bwamp noises, and a Baron of Hell ripping the player’s legs off. Nice.

It’s looking more colourful than before, isn’t it? I’m glad to see Cacodemons with bright green eyes and glossy red skin – that’s how you know they’re healthy. I do quite fancy a play. Between this and Shadow Warrior 2, 2016 has some interesting-looking meldings of modern and classic games coming up.

I’m still not sure about those Brutal Doom-style finishing moves, though. It looks to me like pausing to gouge eyes, snap teeth, and otherwise rip and tear takes some of the momentum out of fights, but I haven’t played it myself so.

If you want to see more, they’ve previously shown off bits multiplayer and murders and the editor, and GameStop’s Game Informer have a month of Doomy doodads.

1. Mr_Blastman says:

This is all spiffy but…

The game is slow. The doom guy moves like he’s in molasses. It has a rail gun. A rail gun?! THIS IS DOOM. HE DOES NOT USE A RAILGUN.

And then…

Wait for it…

He has double jump.

What… the… heck? Double jump?

So we have a slow doom guy (like really slow), who has double jump, can grab on ledges and has a railgun.

Yawn.

This is not doom. Doom is FAST–like Micro Machines dude fast.

• Anthile says:

Yeah, not even so-called retro FPS games understand just how fast shooters used to be.

• Darth Gangrel says:

As long as it has proper mod support, we can get the Doom game we like. I got the Serious Sam 3 game I like after I added some mods.

• GepardenK says:

What was missing from SS3? Apart from some pacing and level design issues during the original campaign I felt SS3 nailed the core gameplay

• Darth Gangrel says:

I missed the faster running speed and jumping capabilities of the old Serious Sam games, but luckily found some “oldschool” mods that added it. Two small changes that made a world of difference.

• GepardenK says:

Really? I consider myself a pretty avid SS player (of all the games) but can’t remember noticing any speed or jumping differences from first/second encounter and SS3 (apart from the added running in 3). The “dance” with enemies like kleers and kamikazes are pretty consistent across all games iirc

gritz says:

I hope they also incorporate the original’s emphasis on exploration, secrets and puzzles.

• deadly.by.design says:

This looks like a more faithful Doom recreation with the pace of Quake 3, and I think that is fine.

It also depends what version of Doom you most fondly recall, because the first game’s pacing (especially episode 1) was quite different than the action-heavy second.

• Xzi says:

He moves like ten feet forward when he jumps. I think you and I have different definitions of “slow.”

• The_Sleeve says:

The original Doomguy moved at a scale speed of approximately 100 km/h or 60 miles per hour when he ran (Calculations based on the source code, which limits his running speed at 819.52 map units / second). If you’re going to directly compare New Doom with old Doom, then that’s the benchmark. I grew up with the original Doom, so this new one definitely seems slow by comparison.

• Buggery says:

This trailer looks much better than that awful E3 reveal they did, but the overly long melee attacks are still there.

Melee is fine when it’s Halo style–a quick swipe and the enemy falls over, no interruptions to break your shooting flow. That everything stops and you watch animations for several seconds (which will surely repeat) really just seems like a pointless detraction from the fun of the game.

• The_Sleeve says:

Oops, meant to reply to the original post. Just a factoid – in the original Doom, the Doomguy runs at a scale 100 km/h (60 mph). It was great because there was no expectation of “realism” in games back then. They would keep cranking up the speed until it felt good, and that was the only metric that really mattered.

2. wubwub says:

Not the best trailer to be honest. The full gameplay videos showed the shootings and the runnings in a much better manner. This trailer’s focus are clearly the melee kill animations which I hope are an optional thing, sort of like in Serious Sam 3. They look so slow. Still excited though, always up for more shooty monsters games.

3. PoulWrist says:

They have an issue with the presentation though. The music and cuts and moods make it all grimdarksrsbsns, but the animations and visuals are Army of Darkness style slapstick. Which is it? I mean, I hope for the latter, because that’d be great.
    The absurdity of what’s presented would do far better with an Ash style humor overlaid than Kevin Spacey all Call of Duty style talking about demons from hell and PMCs…

Still looking forward to playing it. Everyone who has says it’s much faster than what they show in the videos. Where it to be honest looks dull (talking about the previously released gameplay videos in the industrial plant with the lava/molten metal). This traileris just more scripted stuff.

gritz says:

DOOM has always straddled the tonal line between “angry 15 year old’s notebook drawings” and Army of Darkness. Opting for one over the other would be a departure from the source material.

• Curly Brace says:

I played the alpha for this and it is indeed much faster than it looks. I found it to be a lot of fun myself and I’m pretty excited to see how the full game pans out.

4. Turkey says:

Haha. I just noticed how the cacodemons do a goofy little flail with their stubby dinosaur arms when they get shot. That’s adorable.

Qazinsky says:

I should have been more wary when reading a post complimenting my dapper shoes and then in this next post,I settle down to watch a trailer and I get jumped by a gent that steals them (and then some!). RPS, you really need to do something about these rampant crime-sprees going on in your posts!

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

Slow = bad.
    If it is anything like Doom 3 then forget it.
    Also if there’ll be a cover button then screw this.
    I could still play Doom 1,2 -better than most of the current day FPS esp. with brutal and freelook.
    But let’s wait for the reviews…

• PancakeWizard says:

Don’t forget the guns. They have to feel right or it’ll be dead in the water. Doom 3’s guns felt shit. Quake 4’s guns felt good, which is why I still go back to the latter and not the former.

7. Psychomorph says:

Game looks cute I must admit.

8. TomxJ says:

Oh yay!

9. deadly.by.design says:

Any word on system requirements?

Wolfenstein:TNO runs beautifully for me on idTech 5, but I wasn’t sure how much of a performance hike would come with moving to idTech 6.

10. Captain Deadlock says:

Most emo game ever.

• Xzi says:

AFAIK an emo would probably just stay home and cut himself rather than travel to hell in a powersuit to stomp demon brains. I think the word you’re looking for is metal. *GUITAR RIFFS*

• PancakeWizard says:

Pretty sure most pixely indie games are more Emo fare than guitar riffs and demon guts.

zigguratvertigo says:

Ah, but how will it play on an Oculus Rift? Is Carmack even allowed to be in the same room as these people?

• Sakkura says:

If you run it on an Oculus Rift, the cacodemons are replaced by invulnerable lawyers suing your legs off.

12. Jalan says:

Cacodemons have… scrotums?

13. djvecchitto says:

It feels like they’ve vastly underestimated the role of violence in DOOM while vastly underestimating the role of movement in DOOM.

Phasma Felis says:

There’s a triple chaingun in there. Like, three chainguns all bolted together.

Sold, I guess?

15. derbefrier says:

cant wait after playing the beta. i liked it. sure its not as fast as the first doom(nothing ever is i think the only game that maybe came close was the rise of the triad reboot) but its still fast enough to have that old school feeling. think shadow warrior kinda feel in the movement. I liked it.

16. Sinjun says:

Looks perfect, plays perfect (I was in the Alpha). Getting a bit tired of the complaints about the melee executions, they’re completely optional and you can just use regular melee for the same damage if you don’t want to see the awesome animations.

The only valid crit I see is that it’s a tad slow, but I honestly got used to it really quickly in the Alpha. This is going to be an awesome game. A shame about the box art, though, a recreation of the classic Doom 1 cover would have been such an ace move.

• Xzi says:

Honestly I can’t believe anyone would complain about the executions. The animations are excellent and greatly varied. Love it.

particlese says:

For some people, it’ll be a matter of pacing/movement and (at a guess) being stuck in the animation for ~2s if you trigger it. Sounds like it’ll be reasonably avoidable, though,so yay for optional things!

For others, it’ll be a matter of taste, in various forms and to various degrees. I like what the game is apparently becoming, but I’ll quickly get annoyed by the “hey look at me” fatalities unless they’re humorously unvarying (and indeed avoidable) like Serious Sam 3’s. I also really really don’t like the long-form, explicit, graphic, human based gore at the end of that there trailer and will nope right on back to classic Doom if it’s a non-toggleable part of the game. (“It’s easy: Don’t die!” someone says, somehow with a straight face.) Others are likely turned off by the general excess of the finishing moves. Yay subjectivity.

I don’t think in the slightest that the executions shouldn’t exist, but I felt like responding to your incredulity. :)

• killmachine says:

because they’re not gameplay. it’s press a button, watch an animation, do nothing.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

If they are optional then great. As long as they aren’t required to regain health or something.

• Jalan says:

Accidentally initiating them is another worry. A perfect solution would be the option to just disable them entirely for those who don’t care for that sort of thing.

17. Smoky_the_Bear says:

The only thing that has me slightly worried is the melee moves. They look like they really break up the gameplay so I hope it’s gonna be ok to just not use them and not be required every 20 seconds to get health back etc. They are going to get very repetitive otherwise.

18. JackMultiple says:

Wow, this game looks SO HARD! How do you know where to go? What’s the key you mash to make all that stuff happen? I didn’t see any glowing footprints on the ground, or arrows pointing to exits, or nothing to help me play this game!

FAIL!

• zxcasdqwecat says:

-all you have to do is to follow the duck
      -tab to the inner meows of the doom conscience for info
      -you gotta preorderto access the where to go shades but again, just duck call.

Phasma Felis says:

Getting really sick of the “sequels with the exact same name as the original” thing. I would have thought that id at least remembered how to count.

20. tonicer says:

Meh it is pretty i have to admit that but it’s not DOOM. DOOM 3 isn’t DOOM and DOOM 4 is even less DOOM. (damn i sounds like a ranting old guy … well i am “old” … if 33 is old nowadays)

*goes and plays Doom 1/2 and the hundreds of thousands of maps that the community made for it with his favorite mod … Brutal Doom*

• deadly.by.design says:

DOOM 3 isn’t DOOM and DOOM 4 is even less DOOM.

I’m genuinely surprised that this appears less DOOM-y than the last game. Sure, it has a few misses for me (like the Cyberdemon design looking too WoW-esque to me), but I genuinely think this is a step in the right direction for the series.

Then again, my favorite DOOM is the original shareware episode, if only because I played it innumerable times. It seemed to strike a pretty good balance between unnerving tension and circle-strafing action. Doom II was always a bit too fast-paced for my liking, but I admit I had less exposure to it.

New DOOM’s pacing is okay by me, if only because it seems to remind me so much of early tech demos of Quake 3 Arena.

21. Distortion says:

*watches trailer designed to showcase the melee moves and visuals to pump up interest*

“its too slow, this scripted run through should be faster. I don’t care if it’s meant to show specific things off rather than blur past them, the game will be exactly this.”

*Watches trailer of game named Doom created by the company that was one of the pioneers of this entire genre*

“It’s not Doom enough. It needs to be exactly like it was with just better graphics. Ignore any possible advances in FPS mechanics since 1995.”

I understand the nostalgia, and when I want to re-experience it, I go play doom. However I’ve been enjoying Brutal Doom so much more, because it’s more updated. They’re going back to their roots unlike doom 3, but they’re also acknowledging FPS games have come up with a few more new features in the last 23 years.

• killmachine says:

thing is though, even though doom is over 20 years old, it still has superior design in many aspects.

i highly recommend you watch this:
      link to youtube.com

it’s beautifully narrated and explains way better than i ever could why doom is still a great game, better than many other modern shooters.

and tbh, the only new mechanic that i would consider an evolution is reloading. dunno why they didn’t add this to the new game. jumping and crouching is there though. good on them.

• Josh W says:

Man that video, the voice is the worst combination of solid snake and Jeremy Clarkson, saying doom’s wikipedia article in a more “dramatic” infotainment style. Anyone who is even vaguely familiar with it will know an awful lot of what is laboriously described. Yes, doom was made in the 90s, and has a variety of different weapons, congratulations. Did I mention that that video is nearly an hour long?

Here’s what I got out of it, so no-one has to watch it again:

Doom is an arcade game without lives, quick restarts, no emphasis on points, just timing and health management. Unlike super meat body or other modern “work quickly, repeat levels if you fail” games, this means that there is more flexibility in terms of difficulty, with you having to double back for old health pickups to sacrifice time for reliability.

In this context, backtracking has two costs, getting lost, and loosing time, which is probably one reason that backtracking has been depreciated in modern narrative driven games; they don’t really want you to be trying to rush through their content, as if that devalues the lovely art they’ve put in. Whereas doom got you to look at the various levels by hiding secrets and interactivity in them, not by putting a cap on speed and just hoping you’ll enjoy watching.

Occasionally combining secrets with environmental hazards meant that players would have an incentive to frantically grab about when dying, which had an upside of making navigation failures more frantic, and generally bad, but also adding a lottery element. This is interesting because it means that element of hope means that players who have experienced these secrets don’t give up on the keypad and wait for their death animation or jumpscare, but try to solve the situation.

In general, there’s a lesson there about levels of control; if you allow players to muddle through by the skin of their teeth when they go outside of the primary confines of your system, they still feel like they did something wrong even though you’ve given them a way to continue, this is similar to the way games like uncharted allow you to grab edges with poor jumps but give the character a scrabbling motion, it gives the player graded feedback with different kinds of success. Unlike uncharted though, sometimes the scrabbling is to no effect, and the downside there is that players will just stand around and wait to die if they know there’s no way out. You could fix this by allowing their time alive to depend on their motor speed, and use slow currents to lead players towards new views of their situation, so even if they are waiting to die, they are still seeing something change.

The shotgun as the basic weapon also adds a tradeoff to the game, in that you can do more damage the more you put yourself in danger, conserving ammo but risking health loss. The other main tradeoffs for the game were projectile weapons with self damage like the rocket launcher and weapons trading off single unit disruption (point a plasma rifle at a big boss and they will find it more difficult to attack) vs slower damage overall. This last option is sort of a crap way to deal with bosses; because you generally want a boss to be active and doing stuff, looking cool etc. whereas allowing players to stunlock a single enemy means that you have to emphasise group encounters in order to back them up, or just make bigger machine guns for different stages depending on whether a specific enemy is supposed to count as a boss at that level or not. A contrasting approach would be something that encourages you to avoid dodging, for example by doing increasing damage the longer the gun fires at someone half-life style, or requiring you to stand still.

Another “classic” element was deceptive level design, intentionally trapping or tricking players with triggers and shutting off lighting. I’m not sure how players actually feel about this now. I suspect a lot of people who applaud doom in the abstract are actually relatively bored of this element when it appears in modern games. Doom 3 is basically made from this legacy of the original game, that seems to me to be the primary element it took from it, and there’s a whole set of modern horror games that do the same thing.

Monster infighting is brilliant, and there’s also an implicit cover mechanic based on windups and cooldowns for larger enemy attacks. This last option has been used heavily in the last few years, and a lot of action/stealth games run on the same principle; bait->break line of sight->exploit.

Monster infighting and enemy behaviour manipulation is sadly still not very common, generally because of an emphasis on fighting realistic and distinct factions that have teamwork. I’m not sure who is most responsible for this, possibly half-life started it with it’s military team AI, but it could have been perpetuated by general military/pseudo-real-world conventions.

There’s also a classic rpg rule of having bigger enemies act as bosses first of all and later as normal troops, and some of the weapons are largely direct upgrades, replicating stat enhancement in rpgs. One difference is separate ammo for different weapons, which encourages you to swap down to lower weapons when the higher powered ones would be overkill.

Then finally, the game has cool music, but also has atmospheric cues for monsters that first of all act as generic nastiness, then later become helpful in remembering what’s going on, or that you are still in combat. It’s also really fast and full of gore and explosions.

Sorted, now half of that is my expansions on the video’s content, the video basically just points them out and doesn’t have much of an opinion of why they are good, just that they are the best … in the world.

• Josh W says:

Oh, I missed a bit, surreal and transforming levels; beyond tricks and keypads unlocking things, a strength of doom level design is the way that people try to wrap paths around themselves in the same space, making you see the same place from different angles. Literally transforming walls helps for this, and in general I think it’s a strength of people focusing on the variety possible in physical space, whereas later on there’s been more of a focus on the decoration of that space. When what you have is keycards, triggers, level changes and moving walls, then what you end up making is weird morphing spaces.

And even when more modern games reject similarity with the real world and emphasise purely imaginary or abstract spaces, they tend towards architecture in terms of 3d volumes, the atmosphere of cramped or expansive spaces, whereas doom’s level design architecture was not based on the same assumptions, and encouraged different forms of spacial experimentation from the NaissanceE’s of the world.

One consequence of that was a closer alignment of level design experimentation and the practical choices the player would be making “turn left or turn right”, trying to keep track of the paths onwards or back to the health pickups they left. This means that level design was gameplay rather than atmosphere, as it tends to be in the modern experimental 3D games.

• Emeraude says:

“Ignore any possible advances in FPS mechanics since 1995.”

The thing is that what you’re calling advances, many people would label missteps.
      Just because it’s more recent doesn’t make it better.