RPS Asks: You To Take Our Reader Survey, Please

There’s more of you than there’s ever been before, which means there’s probably a lot we don’t know about you. We have all sorts of questions. For example: how are you? Where did you get those dapper shoes? And would you be willing to take this reader survey in order to help us improve the website?

The survey asks a simple set of questions about what websites you read, what kinds of games you like to play, and what hardware you might buy this coming year. Don’t worry: you don’t have to give us any identifying information, such your name or where you got those dapper shoes. We won’t steal your fash or share your fash with any third-parties.

In exchange for filling in the survey, you’ll win two things. One, our unending thanks. Two, a better website in the long run. If you can help, we’d appreciate it. Here’s the survey link again – thanks!

Top comments

Graham Smith says:

To the commenters who've asked: yes, this will help with advertising on the site, but the subject of many of the questions was requested by us to help with editorial decisions. For example: your plans for VR helps us decide how much to cover VR. Thanks to those who've taken it so far!
  1. MiniMatt says:

I say “cobblers!” to this perpetual fascination with shoes, where’s your sole RPS?

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, this got me up in a leather too. More of this flip-flopping between games and fashion will dissuede me from visiting the site in future.

• puninnabun says:

Don’t let yourself get shoed away that easily. Being lacey enough to just walk from this doesn’t fit you, and you know we love you too much to boot you out.

2. qrter says:

This for (potential) advertisers, I’m guessing? Which is perfectly fine, btw, but ‘helping to improve the website’ is a bit euphemistic.

• thedosbox says:

Well, getting less annoying (for varying definitions of the word) ads would be an improvement.

• Vandelay says:

Except more information to give to advertisers means more money for RPS, which means a better RPS (or a bigger wing for Castle RPS, which ever Horace deems more worthy.)

• qrter says:

Although more money doesn’t necessarily mean better quality, I’m all for RPS getting more money, so I have no problem filling in a survey like this. I just think it’s best to be upfront about these things. Saying it’s a survey to help improve the site, implies there will be specific questions about the site.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and they tend to regularly ask their listeners to fill in surveys like these – they also tend to be very clear about the surveys being there to create better targeted ads. I appreciate the honesty.

• Symarian says:

There are specific questions in the survey asking people what they would like covered more in RPS articles (VR, indie games, etc.). While there are questions asking about advertising, there are also questions that would actually make the site better in terms of content.

• Captain Deadlock says:

Adblock. Sue me

• JuergenDurden says:

Boom! This.

• Harvey says:

I use AdBlock too, cuz I don’t like RPS’s ads. If they were less abrasive I’d whitelist.

I decided to do the survey thingy to help do my part for RPS because of my AdBlock usage, though marketing surveys make me cry.

daktaklakpak says:

Yep. Tried whitelisting, annoyance factor was just too high. I did choose to support them though, as I find RPS to be worth the investment for me. YMMV.

• qrter says:

I use Adblock, but have it turned off for RPS. Seems to work fine.

• Lachlan1 says:

Seeing as the survey didn’t work I’ll post feedback here. Fix the edit button and login issue with comments. Learn the difference between “is” and “are” (eg Valve IS working on hl3 NOT Valve ARE working etc). Don’t whinge about bullying and then bully others (John). Otherwise it’s fine but I miss Nathan.

• iainl says:

“Learn the difference between “is” and “are” (eg Valve IS working on hl3 NOT Valve ARE working etc).”

It’s a UK site, and use of the plural for group identities is correct for British English. It’s wrong for American English, I’ll grant you. Just another one of those quirky American things.

Though you could easily argue that it influences that hideous American preoccupation with regarding corporations as people. “Valve” singular isn’t doing anything, the people at Valve are. Besides, you then get into painful expressions as “Pet Shop Boys is releasing a new LP in April”, rather than “Mogwai are putting their new one out on the same day”.

3. Sin Vega says:

I bought these shoes on a tea break at one of those little local “any old shite cheap” shops across the street from work when the carrier bags I was wearing over my socks wore through. They cost ten quid and the fucking things fit better than the last 4 pairs I’d bought for several times that. Also I’m wearing a pair of the socks I bought at the same time, too.

Some part of me suspects that if I go back to the same shop now, it’ll be gone.

4. Llewyn says:

Lies! There are exactly the same number of me as there have been previously, I’m merely slightly rounder.

Don Reba says:

How is my income or knowledge of what non-PC platforms I own going to improve this site?

• unacom says:

it helps to decide how rabidly rps is going to enforce their pc-only position.
      also they will know how faithful you have remained to the one and only plattform

• UppityTeapot says:

To test your commitment to the master race, of course.

• Psychomorph says:

Shhh, it’s a trap.

6. gpown says:

This seems to be the same survey as on every gaming site that’s doing one today. Everyone can only do it once overall. I call shenanigans.

7. SpiceTheCat says:

Well, I’m not sure my string of ‘never’s, ‘rarely’s, ‘no’s and ‘nothing’s is going to be helpful, but enjoy. RPS got the only ‘daily’ for what it’s worth. I guess I’m not really a proper gamer. /returns to Invisible Inc.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’d have liked if there were more “no”s and “never”s and “nothing”s or simply an “I don’t know”. I had to leave a fair few questions unanswered, because they didn’t have such an alternative.

“How many games have you bought?” I don’t know, I try to keep it to a minimum, my backlog is bad enough as it is.

“How many of those games cost 30 £ or more?” Are you freakin’ kiddin’ me!? Why would I ever pay such a huge amount of money for 1 single game!? I don’t even claim games that are free unless they interest me. Then there’s the backlog again and the sales and and and… I have no need or any reason at all to pay such an ungodly sum for any one game, when I can get them at 5-10 % of that sum, through sales or bundles.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I winged it on a couple of questions. Like how long I’ve been frequenting RPS or how many games I’ve purchased. Eh.. call it ‘quite a while’ and ‘plenty’, but I suppose the marketing boffos wouldn’t be satisfied with that. Gotta keep the boffos happy.

• Nixitur says:

Yeah, I’m pretty surprised that I can’t choose the “Number of games you’ve bought costing more than 30 quid” to be 0.
        And I have no idea how many games I’ve bought last year. There’s no way to order your Steam games by date of purchase either.

• Save Me Grilled Cheesus says:

There is actually a way to order your Steam games by date of purchase. Go and click on your account name in the steam window up by where you maximize and minimize the window.
          A list will drop down saying: change user, account details, and view profile. Choose Account Details.
          In the new window that opens look at the first section. Its titled: Store & Purchase History. There is a link titled: View purchase history. Click on that.
          Now you have a list of everything you’ve bought and the price you paid for it, going back in time. It will also show who you gave gift games to and your market and wallet transactions.
          I find it helpful in the haze after a sale feeding to see how much i’ve hurt my wallet.

8. Sian says:

I’m sure my suggestion of gaming events with fewer people will be a ringing success.

• UppityTeapot says:

Hell, I’d attend a gaming event with near-complete silence and orderly queues. EGX is getting a little much for my easily-addled mind.

• iainl says:

Now you mention it, my comment “I generally only attend Gaming events if they’re in pubs” may not have been much more useful.

9. TheDreamlord says:

Sorry, but this really has very little to do with improving the RPS website.
    I cancelled half way through because this is a general marketing survey and 5 pages in there still wasn’t a single question relevant to RPS content.

• Sian says:

The very first question is which site led you to the survey. Didn’t that tip you off?

• TheDreamlord says:

And then proceeded with asking me dozens of questions about what VR I’m gona buy. As I said, this is a general marketing survey and has very little to do with the RPS content.

• Sian says:

What I’m saying is: Of course there won’t be any site-specific question when the questionnaire is made for several sites.

• SpiceTheCat says:

Ah, one of the easy ones. “None” followed by ignoring the next two questions.

• meepmeep says:

Ugh. Feeling a bit dirty now.

• Nova says:

Yeah, I did it last year. That’s why I didn’t even bother doing it this time.

RPS goes more SEO every year anyway.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

It would probably help if RPS had explained why it would help RPS exactly. Well, other than potentially selling our private information to make a quick buck if I have to be a cynical bastard.

Yeah, I think that (the need for some transparency) is a perfectly valid concern. You know what, had I thought of that I’d have skipped it.

• iainl says:

It seems pretty transparently from Eurogamer, who handle all of RPS’s advertising needs. But even past the whole “if the advertisers are paying more because they’ve got a better idea of who they’re marketing at, then RPS can throw more money at Alice and Pip for articles” bonus, having a good idea of how much interest we really have in VR articles, or how many of us have PS4s when the site’s talking about a PC port of an old console game can only be a good thing, surely?

10. Palimpsest says:

I thought this was going to be a real RPS survey. Don’t fall for it – it’s one of those market research things.

• Palimpsest says:

Maybe you guys should do a real survey – or did I miss that?

11. Vacuity729 says:

Filling in this survey with “never”s and “nothing”s reinforces the feeling that I have little or nothing to do with “gamers” and “gaming”. Yet I’ve spent hours today playing AI War.

• Immobile Piper says:

Sounds like the same survey as last year.

But since RPS asked nicely I might just put some mellow tunes on and fill it.

Cooper says:

Disappointing
    a) This is clearly a market research thing. Smells like it’ll be used to direct advertising, cannot see how RPS editors could ever use this data to improve RPS…

b) And it is SO poorly made. I just spent weeks last term teaching undergrads how to create questionnaire surveys an I may well add this to my ‘examples of what not to do’.
    Especially the question on how many games you have bought in 2015. Instead of giving people ranges (0-5, 5-10, 10-15 or something similar) they ask for an exact number. I have no shitting idea, little more how many were pricey as the next question asks and even less idea how many bits of DLC I might have picked up… The survey’s riddled with poorly designed questions, but this one is the worst. It’s well known how difficult it is to get people to pull these sorts of things out of their memory, and asking for unnecessary levels of detail just makes it worse…

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yes! I happened to fill in the (same) survey through Eurogamer earlier in the day and found myself thinking the survey had clearly been put together by someone of limited marketing savvy.

• Boomerang says:

Spelling “affect” (not bloody “effect”) properly also helps with the general air of marketing intern half-arsedness.

• Arglebargle says:

I think that indecision over using ‘affect’ and ‘effect’ has lead to the awful proliferation of ‘impactful’ and its evil kin.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I very much agree with you. It really does no one any good if you limit people’s options or takes odd things for granted. Why is there no “0” option in the “number of games/price above 30 £” question. Why can I choose “no, I don’t intend to buy a VR thingy” and then the next question is about what kind of VR thingy I would want and what influences my purchasing decision of said thingy. Mr Survey, you’re not listening to me!

• unacom says:

your answer? random numbers!

13. Stijn says:

It looks like this survey will really only improve the website in the sense that the advertisers will have a better sense of what kind of people are going to see their banners.

Which is perfectly valid of course, but from the post I expected the survey to actually be about what’s written on RPS. A more accurate description would’ve been nice.

• Stijn says:

Oh, edit button, I do miss you.

What I meant with “more accurate” was that the article gives me the idea that I’ll be helping RPS by filling this in, while I’m really mostly helping its advertising agency, it seems. I don’t mind spending a few minutes answering questions so I’ll get more interesting articles to read (broadly speaking), but I can’t say I have the same enthusiasm for “improving my experience” in regards to the advertisements I’m going to see.

14. JuergenDurden says:

I’m pretty sure you do not need to know my annual income or ‘ve shopping plans to improve your site.
    What you do need to know is that a)comments need an edit button
    b)only a small minority cares about e-sports and moba news
    c)hardware is too underrepresented a topic (and I don’t mean vr but actual buyable affordable hardware) and
    d)your site layout is awfully outdated

• LionsPhil says:

I suspect if RPS have any kind of analytics at all, they know how true or untrue ‘b’ is much better than you do.

• Sin Vega says:

And a comment edit function really doesn’t matter. It’s clearly not necessary, and we who bother to comment are a tiny minority of readers anyway.

And I prefer the look of RPS to be honest. Most big sites now put me off as soon as I look at their homepage, either by overwhelming me with dozens of haphazardly arranged links all over the place, or going to the other extreme. If people didn’t link directly to articles elsewhere, I’d never read some sites.

Aaaand I don’t care a jot about hardware. Whereas others do. Which is probably why there are questions about hardware in the survey, and one reason why a survey could be useful to begin with. It’s certainly much more useful than a handful of the usual suspects (hi!) bleating our already-established opinions down here.

• Sian says:

“And a comment edit function really doesn’t matter. It’s clearly not necessary […]”

Seeing as almost every comment thread I read seems to include at least someone answering their own comment with some variant of “If only there was an edit button”, I’m not sure how unnecessary it really is.

• Sin Vega says:

Without comment edits: A handful of people repeatedly complain about not having an edit function. The universe is so ashamed of this devastating state of affairs that it shrivels into a raisin.

• Barberetti says:

Well, it’s unnecessary to those of us who check our posts before hitting the submit button instead of afterwards.

• LionsPhil says:

Not sure what your argument really is there, Sin, given RPS could shut down tomorrow and all its staff be fed into Horace and the universe as a whole wouldn’t skip a beat.

Just because something isn’t The Most Serious Thing Ever doesn’t mean it isn’t a valid complaint. Heck, within the domain of RPS’ comment system, it probably actually is The Most Serious Thing Ever.

• Sin Vega says:

Nobody’s saying it’s invalid, I’m just saying it’s really not that big a deal, and it’s demonstrably not necessary.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well.. yeah, that’s what you’re saying. Others are claiming otherwise (me included). Is it necessary? Obviously not, it’s not necessary for us to be able to comment at all, it all depends on what the aim of RPS are in this respect. So that’s a bit of a nonsensical argument. I do think it would be highly desirable from a personal standpoint, though.

• April March says:

It’s demonstrably not necessary in the same sense that human beings can demonstrably live off raw rodents.

• JuergenDurden says:

I’m just going by numbers of comments on any given article pertaining to these topics

Don Reba says:

There must be an unfilled niche for surveys that make snide remarks in response to choices.

• Person of Interest says:

The lack of edit, or even a preview, makes commenting on RPS similar to walking a tightrope without a net, or scaling a mountain without a rope, or jumping out of a plane without a parachute. It also means that when you converse with others in the comments section, you can be sure that they, too, like to live dangerously.

More seriously: I’m happy with RPS’s layout. 660px is a bit tight but makes for a nice column wrap, and their tablet/mobile layout is functional, although I wish it didn’t hide the bylines on the main page. The Roboto font and high-contrast colors are easy to read.

What bothers me are the low-res article images and misconfigured lightbox, which has been broken for at least three years. The only reason I read other gaming sites is because I sometimes want to see a game’s detailed screenshots, and I simply can’t on RPS. Even if RPS left the layout as-is and used 1240px-wide images instead of 620px ones, the site would look much better on high-DPI screens.

15. Thurgret says:

I filled this out, and have to echo the above sentiments that this feels a lot like a marketing survey. How can it possibly help RPS to know half this stuff? It would have saved a lot of time for me to say “mid-twenties, gainfully employed, no family obligations, own a gaming PC, lots of free time, tend to buy games based on RPS, PC Gamer and Steam reviews, interested in modern action-RPGs, wargames, tactical games, FPSes, old-school RPGs, grand strategy games and reasonably ‘light’ simulations”.

• Thurgret says:

And even then, I’m not sure how that information is useful for the writing of RPS. It just seemed to me to be the sort of thing this survey focused on.

• Josh W says:

It is a marketing survey, a very small amount of digging reveals:

You know how eurogamer does the adverts for Rock Paper Shotgun, and they’re all independent from content or whatever? Well those guys who do the adverts are not specifically eurogamer any more, they’re “gamer network” ie, eurogamer’s ad people and the companies that they have links to.

Apparently they are a partner in RPS, maybe they own a stake, maybe something else. Regardless, up until now, my impression has been that the adverts and content have been completely separate.

Does this mark a change? That they would start making content according to the marketing data, or is this just for adjusting the advertising. I mean, technically, that would make the site better.

• iainl says:

It’s not very different (bar some VR questions) to last year’s survey from the Eurogamer advertising people. I’ve little doubt (and indeed hope) that the results are available to the RPS team, because knowing your audience is a good thing, but what do you have in mind about it influencing them negatively?

• Josh W says:

Well, it’s starts with something pretty nebulous, although if I think about it further there is more to it than that; part of it is vague suspicion of market research driven “content generation”, and oblivious use of mean and standard deviation based statistics rather than differentiated cluster analysis; we now know what “the people” want to see etc.

But if I’m being more practical, it’s an intelligent thing for people creating game’s content to separate their critical and commercial perspectives; do they really need to know what kinds of things we’re likely to buy in order to talk about games? The “game journalist as which” thing is only really a small part of how and why websites like this work so well.

In some ways, it’s more interesting for me to hear about games I’m not likely to play, because I can’t get the experience they get out of it, due to not liking some detail of their mechanics etc.

The purpose of games journalism is not (in my book), to smooth the process of games purchasing, offering me a series of articles and reviews according to my particular statistical profile of preferences and helping me to decide my purchase ordering.

That’s the logical conclusion of that kind of thinking: We will only tell people about things that they are considering buying, and shift our coverage according to their disposable income. Maximum usefulness, no wasted space, except for that used up by advertising, which is, paradoxically, advertising the exact same games, thanks to using the same data.

Here’s where I think surveys can be helpful; allowing RPS to distinguish data they already have, link following, comment amounts, average comment length, from people’s actual enjoyment of what they are reading and commenting on.

The gap between that kind of “what are you enjoying most” and a marketing survey’s emphasis on product categories and purchase discrimination methods is measured in light years. Instead of adding more data limited to a very abstracted measure of value to the reader, and trying to square the circle between the two, you use more specific and tailored investigations to validate the data you are getting every day!

Maybe you realise that certain articles are getting lots of hits and causing controversy, while actually lessening the value of the site to readers, whereas others are causing controversies that are actually enjoyable. If you also use a selection of random articles, and get people to vote them up and down in certain categories, like “this is the sort of thing I think should be on RPS”, “this told me something I didn’t know before”, and so on, then the use of surveys can help the team to get an idea of things that people may have missed in the flood of articles but would actually like to get picked out more.

Or they could put common reader complaints up to a poll, and see if they are actually shared by a large amount of people, or just something emphasised by a vocal minority. You could do this by creating two statements you believe to be arguments working in opposite directions, like “we need an edit function to catch errors and false replies”, vs “editing helps trolls and argumentative people change their posts”.

Then, you can look at the relationship between agreeing or disagreeing with either of those statements to see how polarised the body of readership is on them, or possibly how likely they are to agree with a strongly worded statement.

This is basic polling and user experience survey stuff, thinking in terms of a variety of overlapping use cases. If you’re going to get analytical about it, it makes much more sense to do it this way, to spark new ideas, and to try to use it to get closer to readers rather than creating distance (as marketing surveys tend to do).

16. slerbal says:

No. It was clearly a survey written by someone who understands nothing about how to write a survey, but I thought I’d press on until I got to the age question. Given that apparently I’m in the dead to you category of over 40 the survey can go fuck right off. Seriously how hard is it to just put a text option so people can just enter their age, or a “Don’t wish to answer” button?

Seriously, the survey is written by a moron – you will get no useful or meaningful data from it. There are plenty of good books – or short articles if you are attention limited – on good survey design.

• Wulfram says:

If you don’t want to answer or no answer is appropriate you can just skip the question. It doesn’t seem to object.

But having an explicit “no answer” option would have been better.

17. Boult Upright says:

Done. Rock Paper Shotgun wins.

18. Llewyn says:

c) Bitter Melon Soup

19. caff says:

I’ve filled in your slightly sinister questionnaire. Only joking it wasn’t sinister. OR WAS IT.

20. JuergenDurden says:

Okay, done! I ticked every box, falsified every information about myself, always went for the maximum $ amount and put “your mom” in every single free text box. I can only urge everyone to do the same to offset this awful awful advertising research tool.

• emotionengine says:

I like your style.

• JuergenDurden says:

That’s how us 50+ afghanian women with more than 144k of yearly income roll!

• emotionengine says:

I’m from Equatorial Guinea myself, actually. Same income bracket as you, though, what coincidence. I bought 3 games last year, 6 of those cost over 30 pounds. I also pre-order every single game ever made on sight.

zigguratvertigo says:

Some kind of progress indicator would have been good. I was getting seriously dismayed / ready to bail as the number of pages just seemed to go on and on.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Hey, cheap and flawed surveys for maximum profits! What else can you ask for?

22. Stellar Duck says:

How to improve the site?

An edit button. That’s it. Just add that.

I did the survey, but there was a distinct lack of options for me to indicate how enormously shite the lack of that basic functionality is. It’s mind shattering that it’s not a thing anymore.

I know, I know, it caused issues. But so does the lack of it.

So, now you know how many indie games I buy and what sordid expos I don’t go to. Add that button. Please, for the love of god, add it.

• JuergenDurden says:

teije says:

I think the distinct lack of an edit button is THE defining feature of RPS. They don’t need fancy-shmancy branding surveys or marketing consultants.

Motto – “No Edit. Every comment is a commitment!”

You’re welcome RPS. Royalties accepted.

• Hawkseraph says:

Would be a nice change from that hostile “no freedom of speech” line, at the very least.

• JackMultiple says:

If RPS was a true roguelike, trying to edit your post by re-posting to your own comment would DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT and never let you back in! THAT would stop the no-edit comments.

23. heretic says:

Well that was meaty, not sure many people will have the patience to fill it in! Maybe a percentage would help, or if there was I didn’t see it :P

Read RPS? Every day
    Read any other games website? Never (except maybe when RPS links to it XD)

24. jfml says:

The gender binary! Even Facebook can do it better (so I’ve heard).

Also since when is Twitch a gaming site you can read?

• JuergenDurden says:

i too missed an ‘genderfluid trans dragonkin’ option…. and a question pertaining to my preferred pronouns….. smh.

• Hawkseraph says:

Especially as a site that faces up to these kind of issues, RPS should know better. Not that this survey has anything to do with that, but we can still give them shit for it.

25. Bobtree says:

You can improve RPS by never doing a survey like this again.

• JuergenDurden says:

or by at least being honest about its purpose so people can properly decide if they wanna participate in the advertising end of your operation in any way. but the way you framed it here really clashes with the true intent.

26. Barberetti says:

Will the improved website include a comments section that makes full use of widescreen monitors?

If not, can you at least get your web designer to complete the retro/80’s top-down arcade style of the thing and give us a mobile missile base at the bottom, so we can shoot people’s avatars while we scroll down the screen?

• JuergenDurden says:

to be fair though, i’m rocking a wqhd (2560×1440) screen here and only very very few pages are properly optimized for that kinda real estate.

• LionsPhil says:

I’m on an antique 5:4 display and RPS is still a narrow column awkwardly crammed down the left side of the browser in a fixed-width column like we’re still building websites out of JPEG imagemaps a designer put together in Photoshop.

I vote for the missile base, though. Far more in keeping with the spirit of the site.

• Josh W says:

I quite like the grand tower of commentary, for sentimental wordpress reasons. But I love the idea of the missile base.

A scrolling game in the right margin could be nice too.

27. sillythings says:

So, I guess we weren’t supposed to include Bundle purchases on the “how many games did you buy” question, right? Right?

Because I actually counted. And that silly drop-down list didn’t go high enough. (Games bought on Steam directly: 16, 4 at full price / Bundle games? too many)

• JuergenDurden says:

those freaking bundles! my steam game library went from 50something to 117 in the last year and i’m pretty sure i didnt pay more than 60$ all in all.

28. Moorkh says:

What is your age?
    10 or so
    41-60?!
    Thanks for the insult, RPS! May some marketing person choke on my occasional lies!

• cpt_freakout says:

Hey there, are you X years old, or are you just, you know, old? Thanks for your answer, we believe you won’t remember what you were being surveyed about in a few minutes anyway!

29. onepostayer says:

I don’t know where the link lead you guys but my survey was very RPS specific.

1. Are you satisfied with the level of drama Mr Walker is generating over Godus Wars?

yes / no / I am a bot and do not understand.

2. Has Pip gone MOBA mad?

yes / absolutely

3. If you had to kip in a tent with all the RPS staff, what would you whine all night about? You can only pick one.

a. the missing edit button
    b. the comments
    c. John Walker

4. Which is your favourite PC gaming website that begins with the letter R?

a. RPS
    b. Rock, Paper Shotgun

5. How much money would you pay to have all articles written by Alice and have everyone else forced to live on Twitch playing early access games?

a. I’ll sign the cheque, you fill in the numbers
    b. How very dare you mess with RPS lives like this
    c. I don’t understand the question and I won’t respond to it
    d. Over 9000
    e Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around…

Is this not the survey everyone else got?

• Flit says:

Mine was the same, except for “all articles written by Alec”

• iainl says:

Well, the answer to 3 is c, John Walker.

Laura’s mentioned more than once on Twitter that he’s a snorer.

• Josh W says:

How long until “where have you last seen john walker” translates into a series of GPS coordinate estimates, and an attached google map?

30. celticdr says:

Give up on trying to find out where I get my dapper shoes because I’m never going to give that secret away RPS. I filled out your survey btw.

31. emotionengine says:

Not this again. You pulled this nonsense last year, now you’re doing it again. Enjoy my fake answers, then.

32. trashbat says:

Can we have a survey that actually deals with RPS properly?

Never mind being able to preview/edit comments, although that’d be great. Most of the time, login doesn’t work for me at all in Firefox and I have to use another browser.

What I assume’s the notification button just produces an endless spinner in all browsers.

And right now it’s telling me I’m a supporter, in the form of red text and a very small misshapen image, except I’m not.

33. FuktLogik says:

Wow. That looked a lot more like a survey for you to determine how you can get a better cut of the profits in exchange for positive advertisement of upcoming games/hardware…

34. Williz says:

I got bored halfway through but I definitely want to see more midget porn.

35. Jakkar says:

That was long, and unpleasant. That’s what she.. didn’t say, but seriously, don’t do that :(

Soulless, and rife with disturbing spelling mistakes. I began to wonder if I’d ever be allowed to leave.

Graham Smith says:

To the commenters who’ve asked: yes, this will help with advertising on the site, but the subject of many of the questions was requested by us to help with editorial decisions. For example: your plans for VR helps us decide how much to cover VR. Thanks to those who’ve taken it so far!

37. Hydrogene says:

I took the survey. But I really have one gripe with the site: the horrible Taboola clickbait links. I really hate them (because a horrible part of me wants to click on them, maybe).
    Take them away and I’ll unblock the adds. I promise! :)

• April March says:

I too endorse this idea. So much that I don’t use adblock, just have taboola blacklisted by NoScript. I see all other ads on the site.

38. bill says:

I took it last year because you asked, and because I thought it might be useful, but it was a whole load of junk irrelevant market research questions that felt like a waste of time for all involved.
    I’m surprised you’re repeating it given the negative reaction last year (and again this year).

If you actually make your own survey about your readers and site content/direction/features then I might take it.. but I don’t know if I’d trust it.

39. Preeti Singh says: