Here’s When XCOM 2 Will Unlock (Today For Some!)

It’s X-COM a-gogo round here today, with Xenonauts 2 confirmed and XCOM 2 [official site] out on Frida- wait, actually it’s out today for some. Publishers 2K Games have shared XCOM 2’s exact release times across the globe, so you can figure out if you’ll have time for a cheeky battle or two before bed. Round our way, XCOM 2 will unlock at 11:01pm tonight so you’re in luck if you’ve pre-ordered and pre-loaded it, or have a zippy Internet connection, or are naughty enough to stay up late on a school night.

Speaking of pre-loading, yes, that is now live. As 2K explain in the announcement, “If you pre-ordered the game, simply head into your Library and click on XCOM 2, then click the Pre-Load button to begin downloading the game.”

“Oh oh oh! But what’s that you always say about pre-ordering?” you start sputtering. “Wasn’t it… n- nev- never pre-order? Something like that? What about that, Alice? Huh?”

Yeah yeah, can it you. Go read Wot Adam Thinks, because XCOM 2 is one of those rare big games with a review embargo a while before release. What a treat! And what a treat XCOM 2 is, sez Adam.

Anywho, 2K have a nice map showing exactly when XCOM 2 will unlock all around the world. Looks like people on the west coast of North America have the most luck, having it unlock at 9:01pm PST. This cropping is kinda illustrative but broadly unhelpful, so click this for a full-size version you can actually read.

1. melnificent says:

Can’t wait for this.
    It’s sad that games are usually embargoed until release now and that getting a review in good time is the exception.

• Stompywitch says:

It’s at the stage where the embargo date is the review, for me.

• GraveSalad says:

Embargo dates aren’t inherently bad as they can actually be used to push for better reviews as you’re not rushed to be *first* or give up views to the person who is in effort to get a good in-depth look at a game. In the case of XCOM 2, making everyone hold off on their reviews is good because then they can play the games to further completion and provide endgame content review as well. While they can be abused by preventing pre-release reviews to snuff criticism, they do serve a valid purpose

2. Hoot says:

Alice O’Connor, I love your craic :)

• libdab says:

I say! Steady on, old chap! Ladies present.

• Hoot says:

If she’s as savvy as I think she is, she won’t need to google “craic”. But I suggest you do, Sir. Nothing lewd about it :P

• libdab says:

Don’t worry, Hoot, I know what craic means and I agree with what you said. Just couldn’t resist, fnarr fnarr. ;-)

• Sin Vega says:

Fun story: 0.4 ages ago, I lived with an Irishman and a Canadian (and a South African and a Croatian and an English psychopath, but the punchline to that one isn’t as funny as you’d think). The latter’s horrified reaction to being asked “how’s the craic” was a favourite running gag in the house.

• Hoot says:

I can appreciate the hilarity for I have a similar story. I was in the States visiting a friend, and we were having dinner with an American lad and his mam, and she asked what were up to. I answered that we’d be having a great time, visiting places and just having some good craic. Her face dropped, lol.

• Alice O'Connor says:

You know me and the craic…!

• jeeger says:

Mr. Brendy C has written about it at length .

3. Wowbagger says:

Steam still thinks it will be more like 5am in the UK. Either way I’ll most likely be asleep. At least it isn’t 6pm on a Friday like we normally get.

4. Lakshmi says:

Damn, I’ve got mates round. I’ll have to kick them out about 11pm.

phuzz says:

Tell them you have next door neighbours who have small children (“and I don’t want to keep them up on a school night”).
      Oh, and while you’re being devious, make sure you’re looking peaky before you leave work, so you can pull a more convincing sickie tomorrow.

• Andelect says:

No need to pull a sickey for me, booked the day off! It’s a relief to hear it’s not releasing at 6PM GMT on the friday like some were suggesting!

5. blindcoder says:

What’s the point of this “not everyone gets the game at the same time” thing?

I… kinda get it for movies where dubbing needs to be done, but for this I just don’t see a point.

Can anyone enlighten me?

• yogibbear says:

The time it takes for the blorps to deliver themselves into your Personal Computer through the interwebs is directly proportional to the rotational velocity of the galaxy and also impacted by the LMC gravitational pull as we drag it into ourselves. This might sound preposterous, but the datapackets actually travel faster going against the Earth’s spin because they are anti-quarks powered by the all knowing Son god AKA “Bob”. It used to be the case that you could buy the game on the same day everywhere in the world because the all knowing Son god told us it to be so and then it was. This was passed done through the generations until we received the gift of fibre optics from Bob. Bob be praised forever Bob. Forever Bob. I want to be forever Bob. Do you really want to not be with Bob forever? Forever bob.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s especially ridiculous considering you can already download the damn thing, and they’re just staggering the itty bitty unlock piece!

• SomeDuder says:

Long story short – money. Everyone wants a piece of the action, and when everyone gets everything at the same time, there’s no money to be made.

• Glendon Hawke says:

Actually every1 does get the game at the exact same time…. its because of the various time zones it is different times of day but its all at the same time.

6. Kitsunin says:

Lovely, I’ll at least get just a bit of time with it during the last quiet part of my vacation.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What happens during the loud part?

• Kitsunin says:

I go on a date, out with a friend’s family, clean my house…it’s Chinese New Year, exciting stuff always happens in the cities left empty by all the workers who are vacationing!

Alfy says:

“XCOM 2 is one of those rare big games with a review embargo a while before release.”

I assume you meant “without”. You should change that, because it’s actually really nice to read that some companies haven’t boarded that embargo train.

• lowprices says:

All the reviews seemed to appear at the same time, so I’m guessing that there was an embargo, but it was well in advance rather than on the day of release, as most big games seem to have now.

• Xocrates says:

Pretty sure she meant what she wrote.

There very likely was a review embargo. It just lifted several days ago as opposed to day one – as most other games do.

8. lowprices says:

XCOM 2 is the one game I’ve broken my rule of never preordering for, even though I’m not 100% sure it’ll run on my laptop. Can I Run It? says no, but according to the detailed view I have everything required to meet the minimum spec.

9. Katar says:

Yay! After cracking and pre-purchasing XCOM 2, not from Steam, I got sent a code and can start preloading.

Boo! Currently expected to take anywhere from all day to a month to download.

Fingers crossed it runs okay.

10. Gorncaptain says:

Welp, looks like my sleep schedule isn’t getting any better tonight…

11. AlfieV says:

I’m intrigued by the specific countries that don’t get a release at all according to the map! Syria is missing, also Iran, but then also a couple of African countries (Sudan?), and in South America is that a Venezuela shape?

On topic, yay, unlocks! But which time will be correct, Firaxis or Steam?

• Kitsunin says:

Steam’s timer is not synced to the time of day at which games are unlocked. Trust Firaxis. More than them at least.

• MiniMatt says:

Yep looks like no to Venezuela and Cuba (wondering if that may be some US export control issues), North Korea perhaps understandably don’t get it, but neither do South Korea, and extensive M*A*S*H repeats have taught me they’re the good guys?

Sri Lanka, Burma/Myanmar also look missing and there’s a tiny black splodge in the Balkans – possibly Kosovo?

• MiniMatt says:

Oh and the Falkland Islands miss out too (or Malvinas, I guess, dependent upon perspective).

• popej says:

They’re all on the US trade sanctions lists. Means international trade with certain countries is restricted, often irrespective of whether the US is involved (although in this case they are because Steam is US).

One of the perks of controlling world trade….

12. Unsheep says:

I’ve been watching CohhCarnage play it on Twitch, it definitely seems like an improvement from the previous game.

13. BloodyMess says:

“Looks like people on the west coast of North America have the most luck, having it unlock at 9:01pm PST”

What do you mean? The east coast are the last to get it.

• Alice O'Connor says:

PST gets three hours to play before bedtime. EST gets it after bedtime and will therefore need to try to squeeze in ten minutes the next morning, eating breakfast at their computer.

As Albert Frankenstein said, time’s relative maaan.

• BloodyMess says:

I guess, its not as if there arent ways of playing it everywhere as soon as it unlocks in Zone 1, we can all be playing at 6pm GMT tonight, not that I expect you to suggest such things.

I just found it a weird line when they get it 6 hours after the UK

• Arglebargle says:

At some point I should regale you with the story of Moosenstein!

14. Banks says:

I’ve heard that normal is too easy so I’ll start with classic on iron man. I expect to fail miserably and feel really good for it.

XCOM!!

15. klops says:

I have solmenly promised not to buy new games since:
    -I there’s no sense in that – It’s much cheaper very soon.
    -I have tonnes of unplayed classics* on my accounts.
    -I can buy more unplayed classics* for the price of a beer pint or a coffee cup.

I think I’m going to break my promise. Shit! Yeah! What!

* – “classics” as in “very good”, not “very old”

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, I just purchased a full retail priced game for the first time in like two years. Pre-purchased one for the first time in my entire life. Wow, feels weird!

16. Swededweeb says:

Nice, bedtime at 7pm, get up around 1am and then game until 5:30. Perfect. :D

17. RaunakS says:

Wait so those of us here in India get the game earlier than most of our neighbours (Pakistan/Bangladesh/Nepal)? That is quite strange.

I wonder how these kinds of decisions are made and what impacts the minutiae of launch date …

18. popej says:

Ordered it on Amazon and I’m wishing I hadn’t now. Normally they’re pretty good where I live (Manchester) and it arrives on the day of release. Not always though. It currently reckons it’s arriving on Monday…

Doh!

19. Kitsunin says:

Lies! It’s after 2:00 AM (being in zone 1 is probably the first benefit I’ve ever had gaming in SEA) and it has not unlocked!

• Kitsunin says:

And it is now unlocked, literally seconds after my post. Oh boy, glad I’m on vacation!

• Kitsunin says:

But it has an hour long update to download first…best get some sleep…

20. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Since when do games ever unlock when they say they will anyway? Have been up a couple of times and thought I’d try a freshly released game at midnight only to find an hour later it’s still not unlocked and bedtime has definitely arrived.

Will save the excitement til I see it available.

21. arkhanist says:

I broke my usual rule of not pre-ordering for this, based upon how much I liked the reboot (and the early reviews didn’t hurt!)

Not regretted it one bit. Timed missions are enough to make you get a move on and not hang back spamming overwatch, but not so pressurized you have to do tooo many risky advances; though I have got caught out once or twice. But then, that’s what meat shields rookies are for!

Even on veteran (normal) for my first runthrough, I’m already starting to feel the pressure of my research and engineering not keeping up with the doomsday clock.

The tactical side of things makes a lot more sense now you’re a ragtag terrorist group rather than a heavily funded multi-government elite force. The stealth really does add a new dimension to the missions, though I’ve not quite got the hang of fully taking advantage of it yet. A properly executed ambush as your troops gun down the scattering ADVENT soldiers is a beautiful sight though when you do pull it off.

I think I’m going to be playing this for a good long while. But given it’s nearly 2am now, I should probably call it a night…

• Kitsunin says:

It’s funny how despite much of the strategic side being taken from EU, they make a lot more sense with the different theme.

I’ve found the difficulty feels so much better. The variety of actions the enemies can take means there are a lot more things to deal with, and when you get an unlucky miss or hit, it feels a lot less impactful when there were several other things which could have gone wrong, unlike in EU where I often felt so in control of the situation that an RNG failure felt like a BS artificial tear in my perfect strategy.

22. Abaleth says:

OMG this gave me such a fright until I looked more carefully at the date!