TrackMania Turbo Bringing Ludicrous Stunts To March

“I wonder why they rotated that screenshot ↑ so,” I briefly wondered before realising: this is TrackMania Turbo [official site], driving sideways along vertical walls is just something cars do. If anything, publishers Ubisoft have rotated the screenshot counter-clockwise to make it less absurd. We don’t have too much longer to wait for these antics and shenanigans, as Ubi have put out a new trailer to announce Turbo will launch on March 25th.

For the uninitiated (and those who haven’t watched that trailer), TrackMania Turbo is an arcade racer with ridiculous physics and tracks. I adore its combination of silliness and go-restart-go-restart-go racing, the thrill and absurdity of trying to shave milliseconds off lap times by holding a tighter line through e.g. a vast loop-de-loop that’ll ramp me out across a canyon. Oh, and don’t mind those other cars you see, as you can’t collide and pass clean through each other. The track’s your biggest rival, not other drivers.

It’s got an easy and great track editor too, making multiplayer often a tour of weird player-made levels you’ve never seen before. And as amazing maps where simply holding forwards sends you off on an adventure of choreographed stunts.

TrackMania Turbo had previously been due to launch towards the end of last year, but Ubisoft delayed it to improve multiplayer and the solo campaign, and bosh in features like a new way to challenge your pals on player-made tracks. I’m not at all opposed to delays – better a good game later than a so-so one now – but it was nice to hear quite what developers Nadeo were using that time for. Good things, is the answer.

1. scudly says:

Aww, looks like they took down the video. I’ve always been a big fan of the Trackmania series so I’m pretty pumped for this new version, and to also see the crazy tracks people will create.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Oh for… does it work now? I used the UK version, which maybe they’re region-locking for… some unknowable reason.

• scudly says:

Didn’t even think about region-locking the trailer but yeah thats what it looks like it was, how dumb.

Now that I can view the trailer it looks pretty good, though I’m hoping those “Whoo-wee” voices aren’t actually in the game, or you can turn them down because when you’re flying around at 300mph on a crazy course you don’t really want random voices yelling at you.

• Jekhar says:

They couldn’t have chosen a better way, to remind us this will use uPlay, than dumb shenanigans like that.

• iainl says:

But what could be more exciting than the prospect of launching Steam to launch Uplay to launch Mania Planet to launch the game?

• davebo says:

Geez I was almost looking forward to this until you reminded me about uPlay. I probably won’t bother with it now. It just doesn’t pair well with an arcadey game you just want to pop into for a few minutes here and there.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

Ok that looks like a vast improvement over the previous versions, hope the community all comes together around this new incarnation.

3. Stirbelwurm says:

I think I’ve lost … track of all these different versions of TrackMania now.

The last I’ve played United Forever, are any of the newer games a significant upgrade over that version? What’s different about Turbo now? It says it’s arcade style … but for me that’s what all of the TrackMania games are …

• Jekhar says:

United Forever was a compilation of the oldest addons, Trackmania 1, if you want to call it that. Then came Trackmania 2, split in three scenery packages, canyon, valley and statium. I don’t know if a compilation exists for that yet. Trackmania Turbo is the newest title. They could have just called it Trackmania 3, but as it will be the first Trackmania available on consoles, i guess they wanted to rebrand it.

4. XxBrentos9xX says:

Interesting enough. I still wish someone would make a good F-Zero/ Mario Kart hybrid sort of game.

5. Zankman says:

1. There are far too many TrackMania games.

2. I just want a TrackMania game with normal circuit/lap racing and normal collisions (not ghost cars).

I just don’t find the whole “ghost racing + time trials” entertaining at all, nor do I like tracks that have separate Starts and Finishes…

But the TrackMania series has always had good graphics and a great aesthetic, featuring cool car and track designs.

Sigh.

• Jinoru says:

1. Yes. Especially with the fracturing of TM2
      2. Too bad. Part of the charm is being able to have 100+ people on a server. Inter-Car collisions complicates that immensely.

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘separate starts and finishes’.

• Zankman says:

Who needs 100 drivers?

I get that that is the niche of the game and why it has been so successful, but, it just doesn’t appeal to me.

I just want a normal racing game mode (with, like, up to 12 racers in a race) over closed-circuit tracks (say, the good ol’ 3 laps) – and I want it because of Trackmania’s visual appeal and track design.

• davebo says:

Have you ever played a Trackmania game online? I think it’d be frustrating as hell for all these players to have collision turned on.

• Zankman says:

This would-be version would naturally have a 8-12 max racer limit…

• davebo says:

Hmm, well then I guess that could work with collision. At that point though, you’re essentially changing the nature of Trackmania. I feel like you’d lose a lot of the hardcore fans that way?

• Pich says:

That’s like saying that you want Serious Sam, but with regenerating health, cover mechanics and humans enemies

6. bishmanrock says:

I recently installed TrackMania2 Stadium and was astounded by how much of a mess the community overlay was. No way to compare friends scores? I hope they clean that up for this version, it kinda killed most of my reasons for wanting to boot it up.

• iainl says:

Yes, Trackmania 2 Statium was the part of Trackmania 2 I bought as well, and it was shockingly poor. The online seemed to have been completely broken in an attempt to stop people using it enough to keep their servers busy, and even more bizarrely the graphics didn’t really seem to have moved on very much since United Forever.

So I can’t say I’m exactly hyped about this new one; as much as it’s nice to have some new professionally-designed tracks, if they’ve not fixed all that Mania Planet “see if you can figure out how to get it to allow you to set an official time” rubbish I’ll be passing.

7. Donkeyfumbler says:

Does the delay mean they’ve actually come up with a usable UI and front end and done away with that god-awful Mania Planet rubbish?

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

This reminds me I still haven’t acquired a copy of Trackmania Forever (I’ve played the demo version for I don’t know how long now). I reckon it’s still without uPlay unlike 2?