Shadowrun: Hong Kong Now Running Bonus Campaign

Shoot shoot, bang bang.

Hey, you! Yes, you in the plastic trenchcoat and plastic elf ears. You liked Shadowrun: Hong Kong [official site], right? Call it a hunch. Good news to you (and folks whose fondness for cyberpunk fantasy is perhaps more private): the RPG’s Extended Edition is now out as a free update. Along with a good hour-and-a-half of director’s commentary, the Extended Edition adds the new bonus mini-campaign which was a Kickstarter stretch goal. And hey, if you’re short on Nuyen, the game’s on sale right now too.

Here’s what Harebrained Schemes have to say about the bonus campaign:

“Set in the weeks following the events of the main campaign, the Shadows of Hong Kong bonus campaign will give you — and your team — the opportunity to turn the tables on the elite corporate police force that once hunted you. Through layers of corporate greed and urban strife, you will contend with dangerous enemies, uncover a deadly conspiracy, and cement your reputation as a Prime Runner… assuming that you survive, of course.”

Ugh, sounds like The Man is up to no good again! That dang Man. You’ll need to have finished the base game to play the new campaign, but can import a high-karma character from a ‘final’ save to play as your old runner. Developers Harebrained Schemes say it’ll take you around six hours to chat-o-kill through the mysteries in Shadows of Kong Kong.

The commentary sounds a bit like this.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is £7.49 on Steam and £6.89 DRM-free on GOG, thanks to 50% discounts.

Okay, yeah, the update dropped on Friday night, but by that point I was already face-down in the gutter, okay.

1. udat says:

Sounds like a nice little update. I liked the main campaign well enough, although having played all 3 I think Dragonfall was my favourite. Hong Kong was starting to feel a bit “here we go again”.

2. Philopoemen says:

I started a run through this before I realised I could quite happily play XCOM2. And when XCOM2’s grindy difficulty got a little old, I hopped into SRHK for a bit of painless Turn-based RPGing.

Well, HBS upped the difficulty this time around, as probably befits high end characters. Admittedly I’ve only done a couple of the optional runs, but talky is a lot safer than shooty so far. Shooty hurts. XCOM2-style hurts.

steves says:

Took me a lot longer than 6 hours, but I tend to be thorough. It’s really good too. More of the same of course, but it’s fun to start out as a badass.

And, yeah, some of the fights can be a bit hairy. Especially when you get cocky and think you can take on both the corporate death squads at once…there’s no shame in hiding in the corner and abusing action-increasing drugs here.

Oh, and there’s a rocket pistol, plus a ridiculous assault cannon, which is must-have for a rifle user.

• Voidlight says:

I love that little rocket pistol!

• Voidlight says:

Well, it was fight two death squads or betray my character’s conscience so… I hid in the corner like a good shadowrunner while the twat runner I convinced to join me got herself eviscerated standing in the center by her dead sandwich.

Andy_Panthro says:

Loving these Shadowrun games, and even though I’ve got plenty of Hong Kong to finish, another mini campaign is very welcome.

• DrakeDwarf says:

I agree! Shadowrun is one of these game that does chat-or-kill very well.