Consume! Produce! Click! Cookie Clicker Version 2 Out

Have you figured out how you’ll procrastinate at work today? Stop. I’ll tell you: you’ll be clicking on cookies in the new version of Cookie Clicker [official site].

I still fondly remember when the feeling of “What is this and why do I keep clicking seriously what’s wrong with me?” began shifting to “Oh no, what… what’s happening? Why are they so… fleshy?” as a horror story unfolded through clicking to bake imaginary cookies. After a long stretch in beta, version 2.0 of the free browser-based idle game is now live. Look, I just want to see what’s new, and then I’ll stop, okay.

Idle/clicker games had a sudden and exciting burst in 2013. A Dark Room and Candy Box teased slow, pointless progression then opened up into strange and delightful worlds, which I’d really recommend if you haven’t played them. I won’t say more, because discovering what they even are is half the fun. Cookie Clicker is far more straightforward–click to bake virtual cookies, spend virtual cookies on ways to bake more cookies faster–but it raises mysteries nicely through the UI filling up with unexplained elements and the tone going increasingly dark and surreal.

Version 2.0 is the first non-beta release since 2014. Changes include new buildings, heavenly upgrades, “angels and switches and a dragon or two”, and “other stuff”. I am curious to see what happens.

Play in your browser over here.

Hey, did you read that essay on “rational recreation” and how the distraction of idle games helps us believe that work is meaningful yet also leaves us feeling indebted to work and working ourselves harder? Have fun with Cookie Clicker!

Kirrus says:

Is it bad that every time I see something about Cookie clicker, I want to eat cookies?

2. Jamtree says:

I was addicted to this ages ago! Logging back on after more than a year away to find ridiculous amounts of cookies is a pretty special feeling…and that feeling is that this addiction is back.

3. Talahar says:

I’m still waiting for a PC release of Adventure Quest: Dragons, which was a colaboration between the cookie clicker guys and Artix Entertainment.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

It’s not all that great. If you expect something like cookie clicker you’ll be disappointed – it’s pretty much all grind with little strategy and and dragons are repetitive. After a while it becomes apparent that you’ll have to spend money to unlock them all – but by this point you probably already feel as though you’ve seen everything the game has to offer.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Also if I’m not very much mistaken, cookie clicker is just one guy. His involvement seems to go no further than the occasional witty upgrade name, but the sheer volume of upgrades makes it impossible for him to be consistently good. The game is very much about quantity and not quality.

• rexx.sabotage says:

The guy gives you a wedgie one time in gym class and you still talk shit on him to this day. Let it go, man. Let it go.

• DrakeDwarf says:

Adventure Quest: Dragon is really bad though. It is like a plain idle game without any interesting spin or enjoyable theme, plus it started out with microtransactions in mind, so you just ends up with a boring, shallow game that fails to stimulate your sense of achievement while trying to milk you for money. You can’t even go for vanity like farmville.

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

No, not again….. Help me.

5. Dewal says:

These games make me feel uneasy. I played Candy Box & Cookie Clickers for a few days some years ago and I find creepy how easilly the human mind can become addicted to a game with so little gameplay.
    Now, everytime I hear about idle games I want to go back to my bed, sleep and forget they exist.

• pepperfez says:

I really appreciate that Cookie Clicker is aware of and revels in the inexplicable, seductive evil of the genre.

6. Synesthesia says:

well fuck, and work just came in. THANKS, ALICE.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Back! Back, you demon! By all that is sweet and crunchy (and raisins, maybe), you will not be permitted to spread your foul influence anymore!

Oh. Great, now I want to bake some cookies.

8. Carra says:

I’ll stick to Clicker Heroes, thanks.

9. LennyLeonardo says:

How could you do this to me.

10. OmNomNom says:

11. xcession says:

This has nothing on Progress Quest

• rexx.sabotage says:

Well PQ did do it first but, it did draw inspiration from EQ which took from UO and Meridian 59 which took from the MUDs that were inspired by pencil and paper RPGs so, technically we can accredit idle games to Gary Gygax and, of course, Kevin Bacon.

also:
      link to bloodrizer.ru
      why does everyone always forget about that one?

12. Jeremiex says:

Hi everybody, do you guys know if there is going to be an update of title=”link to cookie clicker”>cookie clicker unblocked or just the official version is updated?