Making Waves. Literally

Sometimes in chat Adam is all “FOOTBALL” and “GRAND STRATEGY GAMES” and “LUNCH”. Usually my favourite Adam chat is “LUNCH”. Today, however, we had “WAVE SIMULATOR”. “WAVE SIMULATOR” is my favourite of all.

The wave simulator in question is a simple-looking wave tool by David Li which lets you tweak a patch of ocean, making it choppier or calmer according to your fancy. It’s fantastically soothing for me to have on in another browser window as I work.

Control of water also reminds me of Bible verses from my childhood so I have ended up rather blasphemously calming the waters and then stirring up storms in the manner of several psalms. It’s probably less blasphemous than when I played God in the school performance of Noah’s Ark when I was nine or ten, though.

Here’s part of Psalm 107 in case you were interested. I like how it describes the turbulence of the waves:

Some went down to the sea in ships,
doing business on the mighty waters;
they saw the deeds of the Lord,
his wondrous works in the deep.
For he commanded and raised the stormy wind,
which lifted up the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to heaven, they went down to the depths;
their courage melted away in their calamity;

Ocean Waves Simulation is a couple of years old at this point as far as I can tell but I hadn’t seen it so perhaps it’ll be new to a few of you too.

1. caff says:

Me *waves*

2. varbles says:

Very polished and mesmerizing, makes me wish I had a second monitor again. I’m curious about the simulation behind it because it looks more in-depth than the standard approach of scrolling noise maps over each other.

3. Raoul Duke says:

Literally simulated?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It’s possible since they skipped the hardest part, which is the sea bed.

That would be harder to simulate, but you’d have some nice on shore fun with different condition, like beach, reef or point breaks. It would be a tool about simulating the perfect surfing condition and the most awesome barrel wave!

4. SuicideKing says:

@Pip you may be interested in VBS3’s ocean simulations too:

link to youtube.com

Tried to post this earlier in the day but the RPS site didn’t let me log in.

5. Bernt01 says:

Things like this makes a nice room for me to “relove” the internet, it does a lot of good things to my brain, a soothing break in the constant bombardment of information and folks who want your money.

Allso enjoyed link to oskarstalberg.com planet builder that RPS did a piece on some time back

Hope that RPS finds more of these things.

thx