Former BioWare Writer David Gaider Joins Beamdog

Davey G, Davey G, where ever will your next job be? You’ve left BioWare – after 17 years writing there! – all footloose and fancy-free. Oh what a happy day, hip hip hooray, you’ve found a job at Beamdog!

Should Hallmark wish to create a greetings card solely to mark former BioWare writer David Gaider joining fellow former BioChap Trent Oster’s Beamdog, they can reach me through the usual channels. That is what’s happened, though. Gaider has become creative director at Beamdog, those folks who’ve been revamping and expanding ye olde Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale.

“Originally we advertised for a senior writer,” Beamdog CEO Trent Oster said in the announcement. “When Dave contacted us, we recognized the level of contribution he could bring to our games and our studio. We upgraded the position to Creative Director and brought him on board. We want to be the best RPG developer on the planet and, with Dave on our team, those plans for that future took a massive leap forward.”

Beamdog started out revamping and slightly expanding ye olde ’90s games, but they’ve moved increasingly towards making new stuff. When we sent nice boy Paul Dean to launch at their new Baldur’s Gate expansion, Siege of Dragonspear, he came back saying it’s basically a new Baldur’s Gate.

“I recall my days working on Baldur’s Gate II and the Throne of Bhaal expansion very fondly,” Gaider said in yesterday’s announcement. “Thus when the opportunity arose to become Creative Director for a company which lives and breathes that style of gaming, how could I refuse? Not that it was an easy decision to leave BioWare behind, as it truly was not, but Beamdog has exciting plans and I’m thrilled to now be a part of them.”

Ooh go on, do tell.

1. TheAngriestHobo says:

Here’s hoping he orders a complete rewrite of all the new content in those, um… “Enhanced” Editions.

• geisler says:

As if the writing in the original Baldur’s Gate titles was all that good… I bet he’ll turn it into contemporary Bioware drivel that is even more pubescent, and results with you leaving those games a true social paladin! All in artistic merrit, amirite?

• PancakeWizard says:

The new BG1 stuff I found ok, but the wild mage crap in BG2 was pretty bloody awful. I’ll take the enhanced editions overall over the originals any day of the week, though. I like age-old bugs fixed and UI improvements.

2. Tycow says:

Has the article title changed?

I remember looking at it when it was first published and thinking it didn’t make sense… It’s ok now. D:

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

haha, glad you guys managed to sort the headline out. The original one read a bit like someone having a mini stroke.

• Tycow says:

Oh, I’m glad someone else saw it… I thought I was going mad! :D

3. Konservenknilch says:

I noticed, but I thought it was a particularly obscure RPS pun and didn’t want to emberass myself :D

• Konservenknilch says:

That was re: Tycow, headline. grumble grumble, edit function, grumble grumble…

4. Morte66 says:

Well, I’m hopeful for this. A 25hr IE game, with any luck written to match the BG2 style, could be nice.

I played (actually early bird kickstarted) Pillars of Eternity, and I thought that was not bad. But after about 150 hours I ran out of steam. Also, although the gameplay was respectable, I think I had more fun in BG because I like the D&D spells better. [Though that might turn out to be a rose tinted view.]

So, here’s hoping…

• Zekiel says:

I really loved Pillars, but I partially agree – there was something very special about BG2’s spells that no other game has come close to matching, probably in the name of balance. They were unbalanced as hell, but that didn’t really bother me. No other game (that I’ve played, at least) has allowed the fun of inventing interesting spell sequencers or contingencies.

5. Michael Fogg says:

Weird… it’s a bit like if Kirk Hammet quit his main gig and joined the Enter Sandmen, a tribute act

• Cosmo D says:

On the surface, it may appear this is the case, but my guess is that Beamdog have some bold plans in the works. Maybe BG3 will use a new infinity-style engine. Why else would someone want to leave cozy Bioware. Intriguing moves.

• Morte66 says:

Is Bioware still cozy, post EA, do we know?

• JamesTheNumberless says:

There are definitely still human beings working there and the word from at least one of them is that people are pretty sad to see Gaider going but don’t begrudge him moving on to chase the Indie-RPG dream after 17 years in one place.

• Werthead says:

It’s more like the Sugababes. Gradually the people who were crucial at BioWare are leaving and reforming elsewhere under a different name.

Weirdly similar to what happened with Black Isle/Obsidian and more recently Relic/Blackbird. Interesting pattern where you start off as a hot new development team which releases some cool games, then you get bought out by some megacorporation which blandifies your output and then everyone quits and reforms as the new hot new development team (or you go bust and then reform as etc).

6. golochuk says:

This is as good a place as any to say that I would appreciate some way to filter out this specific type of process story about changes in some important developer’s employment. Game development is a team effort, anyway.

7. ResonanceCascade says:

I’ve realized after devouring Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: OS that my tolerance for playing isometric RPGs is pretty much unlimited, so I’m all for this. Bring on the Baldur’s Gate 3 or whatever is next.

• Voidlight says:

Ever touched Shadowrun? Not as deep (and combat is turn-based) but I absolutely love the setting.

8. Hoot says:

Without the influence of Mike Laidlaw (who fucked up Dragon Age and turned it from an exciting RPG series that had the die-hard loyalty of most Bioware fans into a steaming pile of badly written and overproduced dog shit) I imagine David Gaider will be uber happy to join Beamdog. Looking forward to seeing some good original stuff come out of them :)

• Parrilla says:

Don’t really know anything about the workings behind the scene at Bioware but I haven’t been a fan of Gaider’s work since Dragon Age: Origins (though I could extend that to Bioware more generally, since it was the last decent game they released in my opinion).

Will be interesting to see if his work will improve with more creative freedom. God knows Beamdog need a writer with talent after their awful content in the BG enhanced editions.

Aerothorn says:

Davey G? More like “Gaiderade.”