Firewatch’s Steam Community Screenshots Are Beautiful

1 of 9

Firewatch is a first-person game about exploring the Wyoming wilderness as a fire lookout, which means much of your time is spent wandering through meadows, trundling alongside lakes and staring at vistas from clifftops. What keeps it interesting is how beautiful its environment is as you explore it at different times of day. Consequently, the game’s Steam community screenshots are stunning – and without narrative spoilers.

The image above is by Steam user Lucy. You can find more screenshots like this on the game’s Steam screenshot page or by flipping through using the arrow buttons above. Click any of the images to open them at their original size.

From this site

1. brgillespie says:

I consider myself fortunate to live in Colorado. Vistas such as these are common.

The sun shine only rarely in England – I’ll trust your view on that – but surely Scotland has magnificent vistas? At least that’s the way it seems on television.

• Kala says:

Yep, Scotland has some glorious vistas*. (Though England and Wales have some pretty nice views too!).

It’s hyperbole to say the sun NEVER shines ;p But if England’s go-to weather is a cold grey drizzle (and it is), then that goes double for Scotland. And in the summer months, if it’s not raining, you can look forward to midges ;p

*Still looks good in the rain, though. Double points for mist. All mysterious and romantic and shit. Add a ruined castle in there and you’re sorted.

• Graham Smith says:

Yep, there are a great number of beautiful places in both Scotland and England. There is a brilliant view from my window right now, in fact, and the sun is even shining, although it’s frosty and cold outside and not much better in my house.

• popej says:

I was at Glen Coe in April 2013 and it looked liked this:

link to hfholidays.co.uk

I understand the norm is being able to see about 10 foot in front of your face though. :P

• LennyLeonardo says:

Scotland still uses XP, England is Win10 only, Wales uses Linux and Ireland is a Mac (or Mc).

• TheAngriestHobo says:

The sun never sets on the British Empire.

Though it does kinda, ya know, skirt around the middle bit.

Philopoemen says:

I’m currently up to my sixth bushfire this summer, some lit by arsonists, others by lightning. I’ve seen a town wiped from existence, and I’ve helped evacuate four others at various times, including by helo and boat as the fire approached the coast.

But, no matter how destructive, no matter how terrifying it is to see a 20km wall of fire moving towards you and visibility drop to metres, there is nothing more beautiful than a fire-aided sunset over the sea.

3. BarryDennen12 says:

Something I haven’t sussed out about this game yet is how Delilah is able to make that phonecall while you’re out fixing the phone lines.

• Shiloh says:

There’s a few plot holes in the game to be honest. Also, the walkie-talkie conversation system is clever, but if once in a while you don’t say something at the right time, Delilah will occasionally act as if you did, at least by later referring back to what you were supposed to have said but didn’t. Nothing particularly story-breaking, but it jars a bit.

I’m playing through it again at the moment and these things are (understandably) more noticeable than during the first run through.

• Wisq says:

I just did a “radio silence” playthrough where I only radioed when it was absolutely critical to advance, and let the radio timer run out every single other time, no matter how awkward.

They did a remarkably good job having Delilah cope with “asshat radio silence Henry”, but yeah, there were definitely several moments where things got weird. Particularly when I found what I’ll non-spoiler-y call “the little fort after the cave”, and I said absolutely nothing about it, and yet out of the blue she radios me and starts reminiscing about the fort’s ex-occupant.

• draglikepull says:

Yeah, there are definitely a number of pretty big plot holes. It is a gorgeous to look at, though.

gritz says:

She wasn’t on the phone, she was on another radio- you find out who it likely was later on.

• Thesingularity says:

I don’t think she was phoning anyone. I think she was radioing another lookout. In the IGN interview the developers indicated it didn’t actually have anything to do with you.

4. eightohnine says:

One of the very few games I consider the visual presentation to be just as essential to the overall experience as the actual gameplay.

• eightohnine says:

Also, I wish there was a Firewatch Screensaver, where the camera would be set up at random locations in the park and just let time fly past, along with the stunning mood/color changes.

5. eightohnine says:

HOLY SH…!!!

I just realised that I forgot Turt Reynolds in my Tower while packing up on evac day.

Now I’m sad. :(

6. somnolentsurfer says:

Brutal Legend is a game that doesn’t get enough credit for it’s stunning landscapes.

7. yogibbear says:

Yeah it’s a good looking, ultimately choiceless and short game.

• eightohnine says:

OK, I’ll bite: Are you holding this against the game? Maybe linear and compact is the ideal format for the content?

• yogibbear says:

Yes, it’s a linear 3 hr game with zero replay value and arguably incomprehensible decision making by the two main characters coupled with a pathetic ending that ruins what was an enjoyable first 2 hr’s experience.

• eightohnine says:

You forgot “far too expensive”.

• yogibbear says:

It doesn’t matter what price they sold it for, it’s still a pretty looking ultimately bad game.

phuzz says:

To be fair, games where the player’s actions have much impact on the course of the plot are few and far between. For example, in Halflife there is a single choice in the game, at the end that affects the plot (in HL2 there’s none), and this is true of the majority of games. You might get a handful of alternate endings, but rarely can you change how you get there*.

* (something that both FarCry 2 and Spec Ops: The Line both used to make a point about inevitability)

8. RabbitIslandHermit says:

I’m not the type to take screenshots in games but I really liked Firewatch’s disposable camera. Only having 20 shots made each more meaningful and worthwhile for me.

• eightohnine says:

Very true. I really liked how the credits gave a recap of the photos made. And also showed the first few that where already on the camera. Added another layer of questions and emotions to the story.
      I actually had forgotten about the camera pretty quickly after finding it in the lost backpack, but then right at the end of the game used all the photos to document the hideout. You know, as proof for the police.

• Toupee says:

Yeah. I actually forgot to take any screenshots thru Steam, and I often do.

9. Lucy says:

First of all, I need to thank the developers and everyone involved in the creation of this game. It’s been the most atmospheric, and involving game ever. The scenarios, the views, the sounds, you can literally take a deep breath and enjoy the view, and it’s amazing.

My sincere appreciation to all the likes, comments and nice words everyone did, not just on my screenshots, but from all the users that shared they view and appreciation to this master piece.

And last but not least, to everyone that shared, my God, there are some amazing screenshots, and it’s so, so great to see everyone’s view and gratification to the game, so thank you all.

caff says:

Glad I’m in the “enjoyed it” camp. I was hooked from the beginning and didn’t stop until it was finished.

Then I went to the Steam store to put a positive review up, and saw some badly written negative reviews trashing the game that appeared to have been upvoted.

I don’t really understand this world sometimes.

• eightohnine says:

The negativ reviews bug me more than they should. I don’t need everybody to like the game as much as I did, but I hate when they dismiss it for all the wrong reasons. Too expensive, too short, too linear, crap ending. As if the looks where the only thing done well. Where the truth is that the stunning visuals of the game are acting as a deliberate distractor from the actual core of the game, which (imho) is the deconstruction of a broken psyche, from people being overwhelmed by life and trying to walk away from their failings. It’s an unpleasant topic wrapped in candy colors, to create ambivalence. It’s a grown up theme for grown up gamers. My personal theory is that’s why many (younger) players can be so dismissive about the game. They can’t relate, because their lives are yet comparably carefree. Especially the whole hardship and failing at a relationship part. If you’re young and break up with someone, sure you’ll be mad and/or sad, but never to the same level as if you’ve been invested in a long-lasting “grown up” relationship, trying to keep it intact for all the wrong reasons. I’m not saying that players need a parter suffering from dementia to get the game, but you need to have experienced the struggles of adult life to being able to fully relate to Henry and Delilah. Am I a good parent? Why does my partner suddenly bother me so much? Why am I attracted to that other person? I’ll ignore the issue and hopefully it will vanish? I’m right, how can they be so wrong? Or am I wrong? And so forth. The game has it’s best moments, when you are strolling though the beautiful scenery, totally entranced by it, and the next moment you get questioned via walkie-talkie about your partnership and the reasons why it’s not working out. You’re torn out of your fantasy retreat and back into reality. That’s why it was imperative for the game world to look so very beautiful, to distract and set free the players troubled mind. As important is the moment where you have to pack up your things before you evac, and Henry is actually not wearing his wedding ring anymore. Why did he take it off? Should he leave it there? I find those hard-hitting and telling questions that can easily be missed, if the player is still expecting the story arc to uncover a huge conspiracy or an Area 51 type secret facility in the park. That’s why I’m also content with the ending. It was never about a happy end/hero-saves-the-day/grand reveal, but more of a sobering moment, where the main character realises he has to go back to real life and remain dealing with his issues.

Sorry to tell you things you already know, but I just managed to sum up the gripes I had with many a dismissive review and opinion of the game.

caff says:

I agree – I was genuinely happy that the game dealt an ambiguous hand. And I also agree with your point regarding having experienced loved ones go through difficult times – some of the younger players might not appreciate that until life smacks them firmly in the face 10 or 20 years later.

I think on an interactive level, the animations and movement around the world provided a strong connection to the world. Little touches like your hands reaching out for the stairs as you descend them made me feel like I was that character. At first it frustrated me as it felt like it was slowing me down, but the more this went on the closer I felt to fitting the mould of my character.

The game isn’t perfect, sure, but it was one of the best produced titles I’ve played in a couple of years. Kudos to the people who made it – I will be there for your next game.

10. Juan Carlo says:

I have seen steam screenshots you people wouldn’t believe. Mountains lit afire in Bloom and HDR. Other mountains bathed the gaudy pastel light of setting digital suns. Still more mountains dotted with the silhouettes of evergreens lit from behind by God Rays (seriously, is this game anything other than looking at mountains?).

All of these moments will be lost in time…like a game….once you hit delete. Time to go back to work.

11. shagen454 says:

I was really excited about this game. Played it and, meh…

There’s obviously A LOT of potential with this concept and they seem like a great & capable developer. I hope there is a second one that is a little more non-linear, dynamic & expansive and then we might have a masterpiece on our hands. Even the writing & voice-acting a little more than half-way through began to get on my nerves though it were trying too hard with too little to go on.

phuzz says:

Just to publicly say that I managed to accidentally bypass part of the scripting that led to me having a save where I was basically trapped. I filed a a bug on their website and one of the devs emailed me, got me to email my save and sent me back a fixed one so I could complete “my” game.
    So definite bonus points to Campo Santo for their tech support.
    (And personally I loved the game. It was linear, but that’s because it’s telling you a story, not letting you create your own. However, with that focus I felt like it was a better told story, and enjoyed it more)