Hitman Go: Definitive Edition Sneaks Out Next Week

Hitman Go [official site] is a pretty little take on the murder simulator, reimagining it as a turn-based puzzle game of sorts for pocket telephones. It looks like lovely murderdioramas. It’s been on PC for a fair while, for newer versions of Windows through the Windows Store, but I forget about that because I forget about the Windows Store. Not sure I’ve ever used it. (Lara Croft Go is there too, you know.) But now it’s getting a more formal PC release through a ‘Definitive Edition’ next week.

The Definitive Edition is coming via Steam. It’s ye olde Hitman Go from pockphones with everything thrown in for a single price, wrapped up with “updated visuals”, developers Square Enix Montreal explain in a blog post. It does look jolly pretty, see:

Hitman Go’s a simplification of the Hitman formula, putting people on tracks with fixed movements. It’s the usual Hitman dealio of observing patterns and timings then picking your movement to strike, but boiled down to a puzzling level. I’ve heard it’s quite nice.

February 23rd is when to expect it. Be suspicious of any games which wander past on that day with e.g. a sticky plaster on the back of their head, or in a giant bird costume.

I would really like to see a physical, mechanical recreation of a level. I bet it’d make great grinding, ticking noises. Satisfying little flicky levers to move people around, I’m sure.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Slazer says:

I somehow got turned off by Hitman Go quickly, not sure if it was because of the total lack of animations or the little variety (at least until the point where I stopped, which could be lvl 9 or something).

Lara Croft was much more interesting though, had a good time with that.

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, lvl 9 is so early in the game I don’t think you even got out of the simplest area.

That said, Hitman Go works much better on your phone where you play a handful of levels every once in a while, especially since you need to replay the levels if you want to get every objective.

Lara Croft Go is much more linear in that regard since it just requires you to complete the level.

The way I like to put it is that Hitman Go is a puzzle game that happens to be Hitman themed, while Lara Croft Go is a Tomb Raider game that happens to be turned based.

DrollRemark says:

Interesting, because I liked Lara Croft GO, but didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as the Hitman version as I found the latter much more varied.

As Xocrates suggested, that’s probably because Hitman GO was much bigger. So whilst there is more variety over the whole game, you will often do several levels on the same theme before it introduces something truly new. Whereas Lara Croft was pretty much “here are your three enemies and two traps…. and now you’re done.”

2. Laini says:

Ooooh neat. Always wanted to try that but it wouldn’t run on my phone and I wasn’t gonna upgrade to Windows 10 to do so.

Ditto Lara Croft GO, hopefully it’ll be on it’s way too.

• Xocrates says:

I will happily buy Lara Croft Go again if it ever launches on Steam.

3. slerbal says:

Hitman Go is great. I found it to be an excellent distillation of the Hitman games in puzzle form and has a wonderful Mechanical Turk feel to it. I’m definitely going to buy this again now there is a version freed from the shackles of the abysmal Windows Store.

4. Distec says:

I think mobile games on PC are generally pretty shit, but I thought Hitman Go was rather good.

5. Radiant says:

Is Lara GO any good? I mean it’s 79p but you got to check.

• Xocrates says:

It’s very good.

• TWChristine says:

I decided to spring for it because eh, just over a buck wasn’t terrible. It’s not a bad little game so far; I’m still relatively early on. I’m not much of a mobile gamer, and this was my first (I don’t expect many more) purchase for a phone. For the price of what you can find in your couch, may as well.

6. -funkstar- says:

I’m much more excited for this than for that other Hitman that’s coming. Is that my showing?

• -funkstar- says:

Er, age. My age showing.

• Great_Old_One says:

Double that! I played all Hitman games and I don’t believe the new Hitman will be any good, given the news about that episode thing and stuff. IMO, Hitman GO at least seems better (in terms of variety and replayability) than Absolution.

7. SocialJusticeLawyer says: