Robots, Pets And Unsafe Harbours: Fallout 4 DLC

Bethesda have just announced the first three expansions for Fallout 4 [official site]. They’re not far enough, coming March, April and May, and they include new adventures, new settlement customisation options, new quests facilities to capture and train creatures, and “the largest landmass for an add-on that we’ve ever created”. First out will be Automatron, which will allow you to build customised robot companions, then there’s the Wasteland Workshop in April which concentrates on settlements and creature taming, and finally Far Harbor will include an entirely new island area. Beyond these, Bethesda have expanded their DLC plans enough to raise the season pass price.

First up, here are the details for Automatron:

“The mysterious Mechanist has unleashed a horde of evil robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain. Hunt them down and harvest their parts to build and mod your own custom robot companions. Choose from hundreds of mods; mixing limbs, armor, abilities, and weapons like the all-new lightning chain gun. Even customize their paint schemes and choose their voices!”

I didn’t get along with the pre-built companions in Fallout 4 – I prefer my apocalyptic experiences to be solitary – but I do like the idea of building a mechanical minion/chum. I’ve also enjoyed harvesting bits and pieces of my enemies since I played Paradroid back in the day.

Actually, swift research confirms that Paradroid didn’t allow me to mix and match robotic parts as I remember. It simply allowed me to control enemies. And that leads me neatly to Wasteland Workshop’s creature-capturing.

“With the Wasteland Workshop, design and set cages to capture live creatures – from raiders to Deathclaws! Tame them or have them face off in battle, even against your fellow settlers. The Wasteland Workshop also includes a suite of new design options for your settlements like nixi tube lighting, letter kits, taxidermy and more!”

Perhaps the inclusion of the word Workshop is an intentional nod because, as our Alice points out, both of these expansions sound like the sort of thing that modders might muck around with themselves. With all the heft of Bethesda’s art and design teams behind them, they could be lovely little boxes of playthings.

The latter is a more traditional expansion, adding new plotlines and quests.

“A new case from Valentine’s Detective Agency leads you on a search for a young woman and a secret colony of synths. Travel off the coast of Maine to the mysterious island of Far Harbor, where higher levels of radiation have created a more feral world. Navigate through the growing conflict between the synths, the Children of Atom, and the local townspeople. Will you work towards bringing peace to Far Harbor, and at what cost? Far Harbor features the largest landmass for an add-on that we’ve ever created, filled with new faction quests, settlements, lethal creatures and dungeons. Become more powerful with new, higher-level armor and weapons. The choices are all yours.”

And that’s not all. There will be “more than $60 worth of new Fallout adventures and features throughout 2016.” Due to what Bethesda are calling an “expanded DLC plan”, the season pass price is going up: “the price of the season pass will increase from the current $29.99 to $49.99 USD (£24.99 to £39.99 GBP; $49.95 to $79.95 AUD) on March 1, 2016”. If you already have the season pass or buy it before March 1st, you’ll receive all the DLC for the original price.

Closed betas for the add-ons are coming soon and you can sign up now:

“Want a chance to play these add-ons early? We’ll be running closed betas for each of the add-ons for consoles and PC. And you can sign up right now on Bethesda.net. In order to apply, you’ll need to create a registered Bethesda.net account. We’ll be selecting applicants in the upcoming weeks. Players accepted into the beta will receive a code to redeem the content. The beta is the full version (complete with achievements) and those participating will not have to purchase the add-on.”

Bethesda also point out that they’ll continue to update the base game, and are working on the new Survival mode (which introduces and/or modifies “food, sleep, diseases, danger and more”) and the Creation Kit modding tools right now. Busy little bees. Busy big Beesthesda.

1. echo_1 says:

“We’ll give your $60 worth of virtual shit for your real $50” – that says it all about what and how much Bethesda cares. I’ve played F4 throughout, 176 hours under the belt, it’s not a hater’s post… it’s just a bad game, and worse expansion of the franchise. F3 was bad, FNV was… better, F4 was, well, repetitive. And bad.

• benexclaimed says:

I’m confused — I like the game and I’ve played less than half as much as you. Why did you spend over a week of your life electing to do something you didn’t enjoy? To justify a $60 purchase?

Harlander says:

It’s the inverse of the old joke, “The food was terrible! And such small portions!”

• Bull0 says:

That’s just what some people are like, to be honest, they will spend a lot more time doing something that they’re not really enjoying than you will, perhaps because they don’t have any other games to play, and don’t have the same demands on their time that you do, etc.

• SaintAn says:

I played 200 hours and agree that it is a bad Fallout game. Beth gutted everything good about the FO series. I played because I paid $60 and had nothing else to play at that time.

• draglikepull says:

I’m stunned by the number of hours some people put into RPGs. I played F4 for about 50-60 hours, and I was more or less out of things to do at that point. No, I hadn’t examined every tiny nook and cranny of the world, but I’d explored most of it and long since run out of interesting things to do. I don’t know what you’d do for another 100+ hours unless you were really obsessive about the base-building stuff.

This reminds me of people who say they put like 90 hours into the Mass Effect games. I completed those games in about 25-30 hours, including most of the sidequests. I can’t fathom what a person would do to increase the play time by 200%.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“unless you were really obsessive about the base-building stuff.”

Yeah, well, FO4’s biggest thing is just that, other than a slightly souped up engine.

I personally don’t mind, i loved that part and since i know previous titles like the back of my hand they don’t have the same replay value for me.

Customization being their first DLC priority is something i can endorse, plus they are redoing FO3’s best DLC which is Point Lookout, so i can’t really complain.

Look, i’m not here to tell anyone how they should play or what they should like, but the most disappointed ones seems to be those who expected the game to be something it never was intended to be, while the happy ones are quick to recognize that the new features are the selling point while the rest is just window dressing.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

For me at least, (rarely) some games just click and become an obsession for weeks, just slowly exploring everything, even if the individual mechanics are pretty repetitive.

My first playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater lasted well over 80 hours. That’s probably a 15-20 hour game for a normal casual first run.

I just had so much fun exploring every map for hours, trying to interrogate guards, capture animals, find hidden stuff, testing gadgets and checking for new codec conversations.
            Just the boss fight with The End took several hours.
            I got so heavily into it that I had a post-game depression for a few days after the credits rolled.

KotOR 2, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 1 had a similar click and I spent an insane amount of time on them, although nothing has come close to that MGS3 obsession.

• malkav11 says:

It’s 2016 and there are literally thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of other games out there that you could be playing instead of dropping 170 hours on a game you disliked. Quite a few of which could be had for no or few dollars if money’s the issue.

I mean, it’s your life and your money and thus your call. But that would have been my recommendation.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Right, and if he had 15 hours, you’d be telling him to play more before judging.

The plain and simple fact is that if someone disagrees with your opinion on the internet, they’ll latch on to any detail of your argument, no matter how minor, in an attempt to discredit you. What does it matter to you why echo_1 played as long as they did? Do you think it makes their assessment of the game any less valid?

• kwyjibo says:

No I wouldn’t. If the starter is a shit sandwich, don’t stay for the main.

This stuff about dumping 170 hours, 200 hours into a game you dislike is just sad. Get another hobby, get other games, seriously reevaluate what you’re doing with your life.

• benexclaimed says:

Yeah, exactly. Completely bizarre behavior.

• skyst says:

Here’s the thing – these ~200 hour players that have little good to say about FO4 (or other, similar games) are likely typical RPG players; we can smell our own. 200 hours is even fairly low to finish FO4 feeling like you have seen and done everything there is to do.

I sunk a stupid amount of time into building little post-apocalyptic towns and ended up just wanting the whole thing to be over as quickly as possible once I grew tired of that and began to see how bad the story was, how repetitive the settlement missions were and how bare-bones the RPG mechanics felt.

Yes, I played the game for what many would consider a really long time. Yes, I consider the game to be a sub-par Fallout title. I felt let down by the game as a whole. Perhaps compare it to a failed relationship where it was kind of fun in the beginning but by the end you can’t stand the person and would seriously reconsider dating anyone like them again.

• Itdoesntgoaway says:

Clearly none of you have ever, say, stayed in a job longer than you should have – kept a friend that was a waste of time – or languished in a poisonous relationship for years. As animals we are psychologically predisposed to do and stay with whatever is familiar – even if we are despising large portions of the experience.

• ishumar says:

People, have you ever been to a rave party? a proper one, DJ’s putting out some banging tunes and the atmosphere is good? Your chances of getting laid are for the night exhausted so you stick around and enjoy the music with your friends instead and it’s a hugely enjoyable experience in the moment

Then suddenly early morning you get very tiered, go home and go to bed and forget to drink the prescribed ten glasses of water before you fall asleep
          Next day you wake up and feel like shit and wonder what the hell last night was about it wasn’t that good my god why didn’t I go home a few hours earlier instead of sticking around forever the music wasn’t even that good ok they did play that cj bolland track from -91 fine but my friends are actually kind of tragic people and I am a tragic person my god ugh oh well whatever better drink ten glasses of water and pretend it never happened

Game probably wasn’t shit, y’all just hung over b/c 2muchgame and your perspective a bit skewered

• ishumar says:

this was meant to be a reply to no one in particular and the entire thread in general

• bp_968 says:

I don’t really understand the “the game sucked, don’t waste your money” comments from people with hundreds of hours in a game. Is it some new hipster “things that suck are cool” mindset or something? Everyone’s entitled to their opinion and I pass no judgement on someone based on their video game preferences (unless they hate turn based games, then their just evil). But I’ve been noticing a large number of negative steam game reviews recently by players who have *thousands* of hours in a game. I’m sorry but if you enjoyed yourself for even 1/4th of your total play time of X-thousand hours then the game is absolutely worth picking up!

As for the FO4 DLC. I enjoyed the game (200+ hours worth) but it’s played out for me now. I’ll wait and pick up the GOY version in the next Christmas sale or during the 2017 spring/summer sale and play through it then. To many other games coming out over the next couple months I’d rather spend my 30$ on (like Xcom 2 maybe).

• KastaRules says:

I assume because FO4 (along with FO3 and NV) has probably the best atmosphere ever created in a post apocalyptic scenery and we all love to be explorers and adventurers.

Bethesda excels in generating these awesome worlds but fails in delivering pretty much everything else (for a triple A game it has got sub par: voice over, story, animations, poor PC support etc.) but they keep getting away with it because players really crave this kind of experience.

I too feel that Bethesda let me down with FO4 after playing very polished games like GTAV and MGSVTPP, but I cannot keep away from it.

• Moonracer says:

I think this is a common response to the game, and here is my explanation. Fallout 4 is a good game as far as modern games go. I put over 100 hours into it myself. However, I also feel that a lot of players have set a higher standard and expectation for Fallout and Bethesda games.

So there is this mixed feeling of liking a game that should have been better.

• stringerdell says:

its honestly completely baffling to me that someone would spend over 100 hours on something they consider to be a bad game. too much free time maybe?

• Beltorion says:

Hell I have 300 Hours on FO4 and have only just finished doing the minuteman Castle quest. I still haven’t done Diamond City Muwahahahahahahaha

• raiders says:

Aren’t personal opinions grand?!

Fallout 3 was great.
      Fallout NV sucked monkey nuts.
      Fallout 4 is good, but not great; or at least as great as I thought it would be.

I pre-ordered the base game + season pass at a discount.
      Although I don’t regret my purchases one bit, I’ve only played FO4 for a total of 42 hours. In contrast, I’ve played XCOM 2 for 44.

So I’ll be looking out for DLCs but…eh!

• SaintAn says:

Thing about opinions is some are worth more than others due to various reasons. For example you have only played the game for 40 hours, so you wouldn’t have the same experience as the op.

Really wish people would figure out that opinions are not created equally.

• raiders says:

“Really wish people would figure out that opinions are not created equally.”

This is hysterical. You should start with yourself. You judge buy hours played? That means absolutely nothing. You should be examining the content of the play-through before judging someone’s opinion.

For instance, how do you know how many hours he played FO3 to make such an opinion? How many hours did I play it?

See, your argument falls to crap because you talk out of both sides of your mouth. First you compare hours, then you compare experiences. How do you know that my 40 experience wasn’t filled with as much “thrills” (or lack of) than his 200 hour adventure?

For anyone to say FO3 was “Bad” is a joke. I bet he (and anyone else with this opinion) played NV before 3 and realized they weren’t the same game and called FO3 shit. I, on the other hand, played FO3 til it came apart at the seems. That’s well over 300 hours like Skyrim. FNV got just over 100 hours because I was waiting for it to get better. Never happened. Nonetheless, your comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever since my “opinion” WAS based on “various reasons” as you say. Troll on!

• DragonOfTime says:

To be fair, I’d put more value in the opinion of a guy who played 20 hours than a guy who played 1. It’s a diminishing returns thing.

• LexW1 says:

Saying NV “sucked monkey nuts” is just silly though. It’s an “opinion” that shows you’re obviously lying about your opinion. It’s like saying “CHOCOLATES TASTE LIKE SHIT COS ITS BROWN!!!” or something.

• dethtoll says:

It IS markedly inferior to what everyone thinks it is, though.

• Coming Second says:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. What they aren’t entitled to is having that opinion immune to criticism if they publically state it, and it is categorically awful. Exhibit A: Believing F:NV is the worst of the three games mentioned.

• Haldurson says:

This is not only his opinion, it’s the opinion of a much wider group than it first appears.

I wasn’t alone in my belief that FO:NV was the worst in the games back when FO:NV was first released. It actually had a decent start, you only began to experience the problems with the story as it progressed. And don’t get me started on the bugs — it was the worst release of ANY Bethesda game I can recall.

Over time though the FO:NV love became more like a religion so that it became difficult to hold that opinion in public that it wasn’t the second coming of Gandalf or Krishna or whoever. Chat became a sort of echo chamber with no dissension, where it became stated as FACT that FO:NV was a masterpiece and no one would contradict that because we were all gone playing different games. But now that we have a new FO game, guess what? All of the refugees from FO:NV are back, and some of them have balls enough to actually state their opinion, no matter how much they may get flamed for it.

A lot of people who gave up on the franchise with FO:NV are now back playing again. So don’t expect everyone to drink your koolaid.

• Haldurson says:

I’m sorry, I did make one mistake — arguably Daggerfall had a worse release than FO:NV, and FO2 was pretty buggy as well, including one MAJOR bug that NEVER got fixed (the car that ate your inventory) but I cannot say if that was worse or better than FO:NV. Certainly Daggerfall, though, was worse. So I appologize.

• Haldurson says:

I totally agree with you on everything you said, and did the same as you did.

Listen, if you don’t think that the season pass is a good buy for you (for example, if you’d prefer not buying DLC at all, or you think you’ll save money by picking and choosing) then what Bethesda did is great for you. You’ll have more to choose from.

If you think that the season pass is too expensive at $50, but you do think you’ll want the DLC, then buy it now — now it’s still at the old price.

The only way you will get hurt by this is if you make the wrong choice — and while I get that we don’t have enough information about what they are going to release. But I suspect that it will be in the same kind of ratio that is illustrated by the DLC that HAVE been announced — 2 not-so-big feature add-ons plus one big content add-on. I don’t know how big the content add-on will be, but I suspect that it will be satisfactory for the price.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’d say FO4 is easily the worst of the 5 main Fallout games (I never cared much for the spinoffs). On the other hand, a bad Fallout game is more enjoyable to me than any of the Witcher games.

Harlander says:

Huh. I was just thinking that Fallout 4 should be due some DLC soon.

3. Stevostin says:

Wow, this news started like midly disappointing and became better and better to end up with the best part mentioned as side thing. Give it 6 months of mods and DLCs and it may be time to go back to Boston area for a seriously improved and expanded experience.

• Rizlar says:

Yeah, can’t say I was particularly interested in the prospect of DLC but what they have announced sounds great. Build your own robot? Yes please.

• Buttless Boy says:

Yeah, kinda bizarre how massively buried that lead was. Who cares about Bethesda’s sub-par mods (though I did enjoy Dragonborn) when the real talent will be fixing this game up soon?

• JimboDeany says:

This is my thinking too. I’ve got the base game but haven’t played yet, perhaps I should just play XCOM and see if the expansions make FO4 a better experience overall

4. Zelius says:

Damn it, at first I thought that screenshot was of the player character in power armor, driving a motorcycle. But then I realised it’s just a stupid robot.

5. tifaucz says:

I will wait for a complete GOTY version, thank you.
    Anyway, as a Fallout fan for some reason, I cant get myself the desire to play F4… it looks weird, I dont know. I wanted more story, dialogues, and so, not more hoarding and base building… So when I read the reviews, my hype got so low that I cant bother buying it.

• Maritz says:

I concur entirely.

zinzan says:

Ditto here; too many other games to play so I’ll be waiting for the GOTY edition (just like i did with F:NV, CIV V etc). Do like the look of the DLC though – nice collection of ideas.

heretic says:

Same same, I was interested to start with but now I think this is one of those I’ll let slide and won’t ever pick up. There just aren’t enough hours in the day :)

• Raoul Duke says:

Oddly, FO4 coming out has caused me to finally go back and finish Skyrim.

• Haldurson says:

As with all modern ES and FO games, the game starts to get good with mods. What I’ve seen of the pre-CK mods for FO4 is pretty good. I REALLY can’t wait though, to see what people can accomplish WITH the CK.

• Michael Anson says:

Just approach the game with the right mindset. This is not the same kind of game that Fallout 1 and 2 were, and it is by no means deep from a roleplaying perspective. If you treat it as an action game, however, it is a lot more interesting and more fun. The controls are fairly tight, the combat is satisfying, and there are enough things to do in between the shooting sections to keep you busy for a while.

People seem to forget that Fallout is a series, not a genre, and that a series can explore other genres with good results. The same level of affection has been slathered on the world of FO4 as any other Bethesda game, but they concentrated more on the action of the game, making combat feel more satisfying, something that has long been a complaint by fans of Bethesda games. So, approach the game as what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and I feel that you’ll probably enjoy it more.

Herring says:

I saw a comment that said Fallout 4 is a poor Fallout but a fantastic Borderlands.

6. SaintAn says:

So they’re adding DLC of stuff modders already added to the game? And an island that sounds like the same stuff we did in the main story but on a much smaller scale. And I have no doubt that Pokemon DLC would have been modded in eventually assuming they give us the Geck.

They continue to disappoint.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

By this logic settlements are the same as they were modded in previous titles aswell.

Thing is, official features are important. They’re here for everyone, they have higher integration and modders can still build on top of them as much as they like.

7. Anthile says:

That seems like a far cry from New Vegas’ brilliant DLC. I guess Bethesda really like their island expansions. It’s like they can’t help themselves.

• Kaeoschassis says:

The New Vegas DLC was a one-off (that somehow happened four times). I’m afraid it’s unlikely we’ll ever see its like again.

8. Blackcompany says:

About islands: I like to think this is a courtesy to mod makers. No way this interferes with in development mods or plans for them as its a new world space.

That said…less than impressed by this list. Will be skipping all of it.

9. SocialJusticeLawyer says:

Yay!
    More “DLC” that’s “Worth More” than it’s “Season Pass”.
    Let’s bloody hope so, even though I only paid 20 pounds for mine It’d still better be good or else I’ll be in self loathing for a year.

10. Distec says:

Fallout 4 is a complete travesty of a FO game. There isn’t a day I load it without sighing about its cut features and design shifts. But make no mistake: I have played the SHIT OUT OF IT.

I’ll buy the season pass now because I’m under no illusions that I won’t have the itch for it.

• Michael Fogg says:

The ‘arena’ thing that was apparently cut is making a comeback already

11. engion3 says:

I have like 140 hours in it and wanting to go back! Yeah! Take money!

12. ZippyLemon says:

Skyrim was a big disappointment to me, and FO4 is taking things further in the disappointing direction. Anyone else holding off buying BGS games until they actually evolve in some way?

I see a lot of people who spent money on Fallout 4 complaining about Fallout 4.

• nottorp says:

Actually I think peak Bethesda was Morrowind, mainly because the graphics were a shock for the time. Elder Scrolls became boring with Oblivion, FO 3 was sort of a mistake (more story, less random filler, which is not like them), FO: NV wasn’t Bethesda.
      If you don’t care that every quest and area feels the same after a while, you’ll probably enjoy a larger world filled with copies of the same few caves; I don’t any more.

13. badmothergamer says:

A few days before FO4 came out, as I was completing my pre-order, I turned to my wife and said “Remember that apocalyptic Vegas game I spent 700+ hours playing and modding the past few years? The sequel is coming out in a couple of days, so I’ll probably be caught up in it for awhile”. She shrugged.

Fast forward two weeks. I had played ~60 hours and had just gotten into The Institute when we went of vacation for Thanksgiving. I have yet to load the game since returning.

Despite their flaws I absolutely loved FO3 and FNV, and between playing and modding have a combined 1,000+ hours in the two.

FO4, while adding some wonderful improvements, was bland and boring and did nothing to draw me in to the story or setting. It was just a place to explore, not a world I wanted to save. I’ll tool around in it again once the GECK comes out, but none of these DLC do anything to make me want to play again.

• Blackcompany says:

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. I finally learned my lesson. No more Bethesda games.

• Morte66 says:

I haven’t played FO4 at all, but…

“FO4, while adding some wonderful improvements, was bland and boring and did nothing to draw me in to the story or setting. It was just a place to explore, not a world I wanted to save.”

…sounds very Bethesda. Quantity over quality, offline MMO, yadda yadda. I think Skyrim, which I quit without finishing, will be my last Bethesda RPG.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

If she’s just shruggin, it’s all good.

My GF had a similar reaction, then she started hijacking my bases, then i lend her my 3DS with Pokemon Y and she never stopped for two weeks straight!

Nauallis says:

Is everybody who touts the wonders of FO:NV an imbecile? NV was built by Obsidian Entertainment. Bethesda’s involvement started and ended with their engine and owning the Fallout brand.

If you loved FO:NV, great, good for you, but using it as a way to bash Bethesda is pathetic, as they didn’t make it. Bethesda made FO3 & DLC, and FO4. Full stop.

IMO, the FO:NV base game was garbage. I hated it. It crashed regularly and often. The story was not compelling. I didn’t give a shit about the platinum chip or Mr. House. New Vegas, the location, was a let down. I hated being forced into linear quest lines (which is the first half of the base game; only at the tipping point of knowing what the platinum chip is, does the player finally gain any self-agency, after hours and hours of “go here, grab this, bring it back”). The best part of the game is the in-depth player customization. But the ability to hyper-specialize is useless when the world doesn’t reward your playstyle with engaging situations. Exploring in FO:NV isn’t engaging or rewarding: does nobody remember that the game is NOT open world? There are invisible walls at the tops of hills IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MAP! Only after playing the DLC did I really come to appreciate the implications of the story and the greater Fallout universe (Hello, Dead Money! And Old World Blues!). But it’s the DLC that garners replay for me, not the base game.

But all of the above? Not so, for Fallout 3. Exploration was hugely rewarding, entertaining, and oftentimes you could accidentally skip parts of the main quest. And it didn’t break the game! The DLC just added to the world building (except for Mothership Zeta, WTF).

14. Zenicetus says:

Fooey… I was looking forward to some DLC, but the first two don’t interest me, and the one that does — the Island — sounds like it’s just more of the same boring faction conflict stuff.

The DLC I want is something as goofy and imaginative as Old World Blues for New Vegas, but it sounds like the Bethesda writers don’t have it in them. Maybe it will be better than it looks at first glance. For $24, it had better be.

• malkav11 says:

Bethesda’s strengths have never, ever been in story and their writers certainly aren’t up to Obsidian’s standards. (Obsidian did New Vegas and DLC, just in case you weren’t aware. Too many people talk about New Vegas as a Bethesda game for me to assume.) They’re usually pretty good at world-building and exploration, though.

15. KastaRules says:

I hope I am not asking too much but could you please include the price in Euros in the future? Thanks

16. caff says:

I have no idea if I want the DLC. Probably not. I always do this with Bethesda games – I get the base game, spend 100+ hours playing them, then uninstall and move on with my life. DLC just doesn’t really draw me in with their games.

17. rexx.sabotage says:

Ahh one more step closer to that sweet, sweet GotY. This is gonna be the best $5 I ever spent!

18. Itdoesntgoaway says:

19. Michael Fogg says:

After the dust settled I’m really hoping there are talks already underway with Obisdian for a standalone expansion. With the FO4 tech in shooting, looting & crafting and F:NV style choices and reactivity it could be the ultimate Fallout experience yet.

20. malkav11 says:

I think hiking the price of an existing Season Pass is always the wrong move. If you want to offer more expansive additional content for a game that’s sold well (and I would cheerfully welcome ongoing content releases for games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, etc), more power to you but establish it as a second “season”. That way people have more options, and oh yeah, the “season pass” label actually makes some freaking sense for once.

I can’t say as the first two DLCs listed excite me. It would be one thing if existing crafting and settlement stuff were polished, easy to use and robustly implemented but they’re a horrible mess that’s incredibly cumbersome and unrewarding. Maybe once they release official modding tools (I’d much rather have a date for that than details on DLC at this point) the modders can make those systems worth interacting with, at which point expanding it would make sense. More exploring and questing is always nice, though.

21. TrentTheWanderer says:

I’ve got 300 hours in FO4, compared to 800 hours in FNV and 450 hours in FO3. I wouldn’t say that Fallout 4 is a “bad game,” I think it’s actually a fairly good game, but I am disappointed with it because I see loads of unfulfilled promise in the game, and a lot of opportunities for it to be better, and the announced DLCs don’t strengthen those weaknesses.

My favorite part of FO4 is the interactions you can have with your companions, they are deep and well executed, and their only serious flaw is that they end far too soon. How well a character is written and acted loses its luster when you’ve heard the same line delivered hundreds of times, and the experience begins to fall flat.

These DLCs are an underwhelming offering, namely because these are all things that modders would have had done last month if Beth had instead poured all their efforts into the GECK. Rather than stretch their creative muscle and record more dialogue and make more missions for the characters we have, and add new characters as well, they have gone for the relatively low hanging fruit and provided us with more content, but the sort of content a modder could produce to a similar standard of quality. That isn’t to understate the engineering and workload challenge that something like modular robots or an entire other setting might bring, but to say a modder couldn’t produce these things as well as Beth reflects a lack of appreciation for the (often AAA) game developers that make mods for games like FO4.

As far as I can tell the problem here is a business model problem. If Beth makes something tailored to the mass market they will make substantially more money, and the attention span of mass market gamers isn’t 300+ hours long, so they won’t notice the brick wall end of the dialogue options. They can cut production costs by giving the player a maximum of 4 dialogue options in every conversation, and giving each companion one companion quest, and those customers will still be satisfied.

While i’ve enjoyed FO4, I am still disappointed with it and generally unsatisfied with the depth of the available RPG content in this RPG. I would love to see more dialogue options available for each interaction, and many more companion missions and dialogue options as well. Modders can and will add robots, pets, and new settings to the game, if only Beth releases the GECK.

The only conclusion I can draw is that before they release the GECK Beth wants to try to wring some more dollars out of the low-hanging fruit with these DLCs. I’m not going to bite, when they bring to market a DLC that adds more narrative depth to character interactions i’ll buy that. In the mean time i’ll go back to playing Pillars of Eternity (an amazing game!) and really hope that Obsidian gets its turn at the Fallout wheel soon. While I like games from both developers, and wouldn’t consider myself preferential to one or the other, Pillars of Eternity has convinced me that Obsidian really knows how to make characters compelling and they could make an awesome current gen Fallout that meets my expectations.

22. Hyena Grin says:

I wish for once that Bethesda would do an expansion that just adds a chunk to the existing map.. I rather dislike ‘teleportation’ maps, they always feel like you’re taking a trip to a theme park. I’d rather just be able to seamlessly walk to a new area that wasn’t there before. Maybe this is just me.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t think you’re alone in this, and probably Broken Steel was the best implemented FO3 mod ( although i prefer Point Lookout still ).

All the other for either FO3 and NV missed that same feeling, although they’re sort of justified by their settings and possibly ( actually, surely ) by technical reason.

23. Raoul Duke says:

“Bethesda have just announced the first three expansions for Fallout 4.”

What a depressing opening sentence.

24. machineageproductions says:

I’m sad they’re sticking with free mods. I was hoping for some better quality, at least semi-professionally acted mods, and more location/quest mods that aren’t perpetually “under construction”.

gritz says:

Those have existed in Bethesda games without paid mods. Falskaar and Wyrmstooth? Nehrim?

25. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I think we need some kind of modern anthropologist to research the reason behind all the moaning a FO4 article can produce.

26. mrskwid says:

it’s good that most people like the base building ]i just don’t and it definitely feels like that’s what they put the most time in to and i think that it’s pretty much confirmed by the next two pieces of DLC will be more or less focused on that end of the game.
    I just wish they would put more story in to the game and that fallout 5 will go back to the old dialogue system or at least make the like mass effect.