Pillars Of Eternity Expansion Out, More Pillars Coming

The second part of the Pillars of Eternity [official site] expansion The White March is out today, as promised, and developers Obsidian Entertainment are continuing to tease that more fantasy RPG fun may be still to come. Another expansion, maybe? A sequel? They’re not saying. But for now, hey, the expansion is out and so is that big patch. You’ve got plenty of Pillars to play for now. Enjoy that and then worry about what’s coming next, okay? Take it easy. Take a deep breath. You’ve got this. I believe in you.

The White March: Part II wraps up the story of its icy journey, picking up a new companion as it goes on new quests and fights new enemies and bosses and whatnot.

The release announcement says that this “concludes the epic story of Pillars of Eternity, and brings closure to one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns of all time.” And then Obsidian’s CEO Feargus Urquhart casually adds that “we’ve got plenty more stories we plan to tell within the world of Pillars of Eternity.” That could be a sequel, an expansion, DLC, a novel, a comic, a card game, a… who knows! They’ve sold over 700,000 copies, so there’s certainly a bit of interest.

As for update 3.00, that’s out now for all players, whether they own the expansion or not. It brings things like a ‘Story Time’ difficulty level for people who want to make it easier, or options like Knockout Injuries for folks who want it to be more difficult. You’ll also find a new quest line, a rebalancing, and plenty more detailed in the patch notes.

The White March Part II costs £10.99 by itself (on Steam and GOG), same as the first, or both together are £18.99 (Steam, GOG). Have a launch trailer:

1. WombatDeath says:

I’m having trouble liking PoE as much as I want to. I loved its ancestors and backed the Kickstarter campaign but I’m struggling to find the motivation to dig myself out of the Endless Paths.

I think it’s partly the loot. BG2 and Torment had all sorts of fantastic stuff – I have fond memories in BG2 of stumbling across a pair of gauntlets that set strength to 18, and robbing a Holy Avenger from Firkraag’s corpse. As for PS:T, well, basically everything. By comparison the incrementally better stuff I find in PoE is sometimes useful but not particularly exciting.

• Hawk52 says:

I’m having a similar problem with the game. For me it’s the combat that’s the sticking point (loot qualifies as part of the problem though). Because there’s no combat XP I find the combat really boring & pointless. I find myself just drudging through encounters instead of enjoying them.

Since you rarely get any good loot, no XP from combat, and no way to talk your way through most encounters, what’s the point?

• darkwhite says:

For me it’s the skilltree… if you could call it a skilltree. I found it rather complicated and not intuitive. Plus all companions seem to have rather weird skills. If I could only play and enjoy the game without having to dig through websites explaining good builds… which are mostly outdated because of various patches and changes. If there was one good guide helping with the skill tree, I would probably give it another try though.

Lars Westergren says:

I think this is the most famous one. I think he is planning to update it for 3.0.

link to steamcommunity.com

• darkwhite says:

Ah that beast… thank you. :-)
            Although I knew that guide, I did not know it had been (and will be) updated to reflect the changes. Thanks for pointing it out.

Although it is a good guide, I think it falls rather short on companion builds. Do you by chance know a guide focusing on building your party and levelling up the companions?

• Hawk52 says:

I can definitely understand that. I enjoy researching things so that hasn’t bothered me, but the game could really use clarifications on a lot of in-game things. Intuitively some things don’t make sense, like why would a Barbarian need Int? Answer is INT affects the Barbarian’s AOE skills but without looking that up carefully how would you know? It goes against every pre existing Barbarian template.

• Booker says:

I personally am simply grateful, that they didn’t “just” do a copy/paste. I also think their system makes a lot of sense and is much more suited to this type of game.

• Booker says:

It is not one bit more complicated than BG was. Not one single bit. It’s just that BG was D6D, what most players were already familiar with beforehand. But, just as it was with BG, every tiny detail in Pillars has a description, where you can learn absolutely everything there is to know about it, if you just want to. I didn’t know D6D when I played BG in 1998, I learned D6D by playing this game, just as I have learned Pillars by playing that.
          I love the system they designed from scratch for Pillars. It is nuanced and allows for very complex tactics on the battlefield. And that’s what such a system should do/be.

• tyronetasty says:

I absolutely agree, and anecdotally went through the experience you described. Having played through the game twice now, a lot of nuance starts to reveal itself that was not readily apparent when I started playing nearly a year ago.

And I love the combat, XP or not, though I think WM2 went a bit too far in the direction of non-trash monsters, to the point it became a bit tiring because every confrontation was designed as an epic showdown. They need to strike a balance, but I like the progress their showing.

• Booker says:

I think they made the right decision here. I have read so many pages about the Baldur’s Gate games and they all go like “first do the quest for the xp and once you have your xp from finishing the quest, start a fight to kill them all so you’ll get that xp too”. That’s just horrible. That’s why to me, Pillars felt like they learned their/this lesson from BG. If you play a game like this and it’s all just about a strategy to maximize your xp, every choice becomes meaningless. Either you end a quest a certain way and get your xp for it, or you fight and get your xp for that. But if you end the quest and then still get your xp for the fight, you are subverting everything in a way that you shouldn’t be able to.
        By being different here, all Pillars is doing, is to make choices count. It makes players THINK what it is they actually want to do and then live with it. This is much more satisfying to me.

It’s also wrong what you are saying that there is no/never xp for fighting, since there is the bestiary xp.

• Hawk52 says:

Agree to disagree. If I’m not getting a reward for fighting then the fighting is pointless. The Beastiary XP goes away pretty quickly in most cases so you’re left with what are basically pointless speedbumps in the game’s narrative. If I’m not getting anything why should I face my twentieth Wolf or Shadow? I can’t get around it but nothing is gained either. Those battles are just a waste of time. I’m in the Cultists place right now and it’s the best example of this so far. There are so many encounters against random cultists that give me nothing other then sell bait. I move from one battle to the other to complete the quest story gaining nothing from them other then wasted time.

I get WHY they did it but that doesn’t change that the execution isn’t very good. Eliminate the trash encounters from the overworld maps and the dungeons and it would feel rewarding when you actually do have a battle.

• Booker says:

That’s exactly what good game design does. And Pillars is a prime example for good game design for that very reason.

It’s possible to sneak in Pillars. But why should you ever do it, if you would be missing XP this way? You would always decide to fight then.

• Fenixp says:

I never understood this sentiment. It’s basically saying “I think it’s pointless to play the game.” In first person shooters, I barely ever get any reward at all for killing baddies aside from progress – yet killing baddies doesn’t feel pointless, it feels like playing the game.

Right now, in the expansion I’m stuck at a random group of monsters that I could very easily bypass but I keep fighting them anyway in spite of having my party wiped for the second time. Why? Because it’s an obstacle that I’m having fun overcoming, not because I expect some sort of arbitrary number to pop up, telling me how good of a job have I done. I suppose if you don’t enjoy combat, your complaint does make sense – but not entirely for the reasons you’re stating.

• Booker says:

The point is that fighting is supposed to be only one way to react to situations. Of course there are situations where there is no other way out of it, because dungeons are supposed to be dangerous and all that, some places just demand that you put your party at risk and yet Pillars allows for a surprising amount of situations to be resolved in dialogs just as well. That’s great. And better. Also we are talking about RPGs here, it says a lot that someone who doesn’t like elements in Pillars would bring examples from first person shooters.

• Minglefingler says:

The person that mentioned first person shooters was using them as an example as to why you don’t need rewards to engage in combat, in fact that person gives the strong impression that they enjoy the combat in the game rather than being someone who dislikes elements of Pillars. Probably best not to get snooty with someone who seems to be on the same side of the debate as yourself eh?
            I think there’s a bit too much combat in the game in certain places, I’m not sure how much the latest patch changes this. I do think not giving xp for combat is a good decision, I don’t need to get points for every fight and I don’t like scouring maps for enemies to kill in case I’m underlevelled later because of a lack of murder on my part.

• Booker says:

No you are right, my mistake.

• Minglefingler says:

Just thought I’d mention my post was meant to come across as genial, in case it looks a bit snide.

• Distec says:

It may be good game design on paper, but if it’s not a fulfilling experience for the player then… meh?

Not explicitly disagreeing with you here; Pillars’ XP system is clearly fine for you and a few others here. It’s an absolutely valid approach for Obsidian to take. But it shows me that underneath the broad umbrella of “RPG Players” there are competing and contradicting needs and wants from these games.

Somebody above made the comparison to FPS games, but I feel that’s stretching a bit. The moment to moment gameplay in most shooters is satisfying and rewarding in and of itself. I like playing RPGs, but it’s really just not the same for me. I need a carrot dangled in front of me otherwise combat is a slog.

• Minglefingler says:

I think the thing to do is to have a lot less combat, I often find it a slog myself and had a long spell in the middle of Pillars where I was using the same abilities for every fight without having to think much about tactics. It was at that point I lowered the difficulty to easy so that I’d experience less enemies which wasn’t an ideal solution.
            Less combat makes encounters more meaningful and gives the designers more time to make each fight interesting. Combine this with more ways to avoid fighting altogether and you’re doing something that would cater to my possibly very niche desires.
            I do hope there’s a sequel and that Obsidian go down this route for it, Pillars is a great game, there’s certainly a lot to build on and if they can make a leap a big as the one from BG to BG2 then we’d be in for a treat. Well, another treat.

• Fenixp says:

Fair enough, FPS games are about shooting whereas there’s a lot more to RPG games. I do realize that just because I enjoy the combat a lot and find it endlessly satisfying by itself doesn’t necessarily mean everybody will. Still, another point in the game’s favor should be that when you don’t enjoy said combat, you can actually avoid a lot of it and won’t be punished for doing so.

As for combat becoming repetitive use of the same abilities in Pillars over time – you might find it worthwhile to find the newest version. In the meantime, Obsidian managed to introduce monster immunities to prevent players from just endlessly abusing whatever works and significantly shuffled up how a lot of skills function.

• Minglefingler says:

I hadn’t realised they’d done that, it’s a good step for the game but I still think the game would benefit from less combat, certainly in areas like the ogre caves up north where there are usually two groups of enemies in each room which leads to me spamming abilities. This may be irrelevant as Obsidian have reduced the number of encounters, in Act 3 at least. I can’t say how this is working as I’m currently at the end of Act 3, I just need to head back to Stalwart to see what’s going on there which should take a few hours then I’m jumping into a pit and not metaphorically this time.
            don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy the combat, just not the quantity of it.

• welverin says:

“Booker says:
            Why design a quest in a way that allows you to sneak into a castle or fight your way into it, if you only get xp for fighting into it? There has to be no xp for fighting, to make sneaking a valid choice. The designers of Pillars understood this. It’s a shame how many people don’t get it and don’t even recognize their genius.”

The solution to this is not to remove xp for combat, but to give equivalent xp for every option. Bypassing an obstacle should only give you xp once, so no going back and killing something after getting around in another fashion.

D&D and other RPGs have been doing this for a long time, as did Deus Ex Human Revolution (though people ragged on it a bit for it).

• Booker says:

“The solution to this is not to remove xp for combat, but to give equivalent xp for every option.”

No. Because then you still have that problem I was talking about. As long as you also give XP for combat, you can still sneak in and after you’ve done that, go and kill everyone for maximum XP reward anyway. As long as there is XP reward for killing alone, you will always have this problem. It’s basically an exploit. One that tons of players used.

That’s how Baldur’s Gate, a D&D game, did it. I’m glad Obs understood this and was smarter about it.

• Cropduster says:

Agreed, I barely noticed to lack of XP from fights, and I enjoyed the battles well enough that I didn’t mind fighting for it’s own sake. So much so that playing through on PoTD was a riot for me.

Personally I’d prefer a D&D system due to all the flexibility and cheese potential with character development, but PoE’s removal of class weapon & armor restrictions provided some of that anyway (though more limited). Plus it removed a lot of the more tedious elements of the AD&D2 games like constant pre-buffing, countless useless spells and consequence free dump stats.

Not perfect, but definitely my favorite game of last year.

• Cropduster says:

My only real issue was all the backer-written flashback fluff. No interaction, just some paragraphs of irrelevant fan fiction. Couldn’t they have just sent backers some mugs or something?

• Om says:

I’d agree on not giving XP for combat, I much prefer getting this for making discoveries or advancing the plot than having to hunt down every last critter on a level.

That said, my problem with PoE is bigger: I just didn’t find the combat fun. It was fiddly, slow and (somehow) less tactical than Baldur’s Gate. Most fights were a real slog to get through and I’d almost groan when I entered a new dungeon.

Eventually, as much as I enjoyed the story, there wasn’t enough in the game to keep me playing in the face of such a stodgy (IMO) core system.

• tyronetasty says:

Once you learn all the tricks and effective strategies, combat becomes a lot more engaging. It’s super fun when you’ve devised a well-oiled machine comprised of those various parts known as your party members.

• tyronetasty says:

Also being able to skip or stealth past combat without the nagging guilt that you’re missing out on XP and playing sub-optimally.

• Emeraude says:

I think part if the gear issue come from the crafting and the balance focus.

The whole systems are laid bare and there’s hardly anything that feels unique and weird – and good. Everything feels interchangeable.

• wwarnick says:

I finished it, but I can’t say I’m excited to play through it again. I was excited for it because I knew that Chris Avellone was involved. I’ve always loved the writing in his games. I liked the dialog in PoE, but all of the books and things like that felt contrived, though I don’t think he was as involved in that part. It felt like they focused more on quantity than quality when it came to the writing. The lore was interesting, but felt a little flat.

• onodera says:

PoE is a very good game just like a Volvo is a very good car. It’s well-made, its systems work well together, but it won’t turn heads like a DeLorean will.

You move from a typical fantasy village to a typical fantasy castle to a typical fantasy city to a typical fantasy elfland.

Playable classes have unexciting skills and talents. Vancian magic is traditional, but inconvenient and restrictive.

Companions are more interesting than Bethesda’s bipedal pack mules, but are still rather one-dimensional.

It’s still one of the best RPGs I’ve played in the last few years.

• LexW1 says:

It’s not really fair to call them “typical” – they’re solidly Western fantasy, for sure, but they have a rarely-seen level of trauma, anxiety and deeper problems. I think that is actually the main reason people don’t love the game, though – it’s got very little lightness/fun, and tons of rather Scandinavian deep angst (in the non-teenage sense).

• Cinek says:

It’s much better if you actually read the texts in this game.

• InternetBatman says:

Try the weapons in White March. The Soulbound ones are significantly better than most enchants and pretty unique. I will say that the system doesn’t provide the ease of building a character BG et al did, but your choices are significantly more diverse in playstyle and effect. It’s hard to see on normal because you could faceroll many early encounters.

• Zekiel says:

I have weird conflicting feelings about the loot. On the one hand this I think PoE has the most interesting loot of any CRPG I’ve played since Baldur’s Gate 2. There’s nothing as exciting as the Holy Avenger or Staff of the Magi, but there are plenty of magical items that give you limited-use abilities or have an interesting combination of bonuses and maluses. That’s a big step up from something like Dragon Age Origins, in which I was gutted by the fact that pretty much every item in the entire game just gave you some stat bonuses and nothing else.

The item upgrading system in PoE is weird though. On the plus side it allows you to keep on using an item that you particularly like rather than it becoming underpowered – so you can keep a signature weapon. But the downside is that I felt like there wasn’t a lot of point in using new weapons I found after a while – why not just keep upgrading the ones I’ve got? So that had a negative effect on looting. Not entirely sure how you fix that problem.

Personally found the Endless Paths deadly boring (up to level 4, where I gave up) but the game was plenty big enough without it!

2. Infinitron says:

There’s not going to be another expansion.

Lars Westergren says:

Yep, confirmed multiple times by the devs.

There is a physical cardgame in the works though. Should be finished fairly soon.

link to kickstarter.com

• Cinek says:

AFAIK they created it as a universe in which other, future games will be placed. So I’d expect much more than just a card game.

Lars Westergren says:

Nice, looking forward to a second playthrough on a significantly higher difficulty level. I think I’m going to go for an evil pale elf druid this time.

Also in December Josh Sawyer shared this on Instagram.
    link to instagram.com
    Obsidian use US states in the order they joined the Union as internal project names. Next after Ohio (which was the project name for Armored Warfare) was Louisiana.

Since it was Sawyer and timing was about right for wrapping up most of the PoE/White March content I think PoE 2 is plausible, they might have started brainstorming and working on the next Kickstarter campaign pitch then. But who knows, maybe it is the rumored full PathFinder game, or something completely different.

• skyst says:

A proper Pathfinder game, turn-based with DM tools, would be fantastic. Though I somewhat doubt their desire to make a game so similar to PoE. I adore Pathfinder’s lore though – I would love to see Obsidian return to crafting adventures and staying out of the systems and world building business. More Mask of the Betrayers, less DS3 or PoE.

• LexW1 says:

The trouble is that Pathfinder, like D&D 3.XE, is horribly broken, esp. above level 8 or so. Using the system as a base would lead to a lot of complaining down the line.

It’s also a lot more complicated, on a basic level, like a “need to know in order to play” level, than PoE’s system (and than AD&D 2E, which BG/PS:T ran on). The difference in power between a character made by someone just picking stuff that “sounds good” and one even mildly optimized (let alone hardcore power-gamed) is truly vast. Part of this is because as it’s designer noted, 3.XE intentionally included “newbie traps” to promote “system mastery” (which is awful design imho – it was rejected by both 4E and 5E D&D), and Pathfinder essentially took 3.XE, added more complexity, and somehow managed to make the game even more unbalanced in the name of making it more balanced.

The Pathfinder setting (Golarion) is also rather uninspired at best, and has parts which are downright stupid. Even the FR, generic as it can be, is a better world to work from.

• tyronetasty says:

“Obsidian use US states in the order they joined the Union as internal project names.”

That is so damn cool.

4. MadMinstrel says:

They’ve sold 700000 copies of what exactly? The main game? The main game+expansion pass? The main game + part 1? The expansion pass by itself?

5. jacksaw says:

I was reading the patch notes and you missed the most newsworthy aspect of 3.00 which can be found under Miscellaneous:

Adding a melee attack for pigs <— This is important

6. Emeraude says:

Contemplating whether to buy and download this tonight or wait to be done with the couple of games I still have on my plate right now.

At the end of the day, I think PoE was a decent entry in a genre that had been way too dead for a long decade. The worst I can reproach it with is that it’s not going to be one of the greats. I’m still glad I backed it, whatever issues I may have with it.

7. jackflash says:

I kickstarted this as a huge fan of Torment and the Baldur’s Gate games, but for me it was the biggest disappointment of the year (other than Elite: Dangerous). It just never really came together. The world they created was quite generic, the writing wasn’t very interesting, and the combat was repetitive. I’m quietly hoping that inXile manages to pull out a masterpiece with the new Torment game… though I also gave up on their new Wasteland game without finishing it.

• Hybrid Salmon says:

Isn’t pretty much any other RPG as generic as the others? Some less sure but if PoE is generic than pretty much 99,9% of RPGs are generic. PoE could never have beaten or come close to BG & Torment because they had a headstart before the games were even created (D&D). They still remain my favorite games of all time by far. The first thing that would come up if I had to compare those 2 with PoE is that they world was much more lively and the player had more sense of involvement.

• Kinthalis says:

Oh I don’t know about all that. I think this first entry into the series/world beats the original BG by a mile, in terms of just abotu everything – story, companions, overall writing, areas to explore, lore, combat, etc.

It’s not BG2 though, sure, but I think POE2 has the potential for that.

• Fnord73 says:

Thwy have the system. But they need a writer for #2.

• Booker says:

Exactly. I’m a huge fan of all BG games and even I can’t overlook how much better PoE is than BG was. People who complain obviously can’t remember these games anymore. It’s dumbfounding.

• Booker says:

Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity are really awesome games. I guess RPGs aren’t for everyone. :)

8. silentdan says:

I can’t wait to do another PoE playthrough. I’ll probably start tonight, although I’ve been having such a blast in Elite: Dangerous that I might not be able to tear myself away from it right away. (Not trolling you, jackflash, I genuinely love both games.) One of the moments that really endeared me to PoE was when I was lamenting the weaksauce pistol I was carrying, only to see an epic pistol drop off a mob. The pistol’s name was Forgiveness. My character’s new catchphrase became “people often misunderstand me when I tell them that I solve most of my problems with Forgiveness alone.”

• jackflash says:

Heheh no trolling taken! I respect both games a lot (and want to enjoy them), I just lost patience with both from a systems perspective (basically: I find them both too repetitive). I hope to return to Elite when I have a VR setup.

9. InternetBatman says:

If you haven’t played Pillars since release, try it again. They’ve changed a lot, especially builds and AI. Supposedly WMII also gives the stronghold more content, in addition to replacing those minor adventures with interesting lore and rewards. Also, if it’s too easy or samey, crank the difficulty up. I’m really enjoying my PotD run because it forces me to vary tactics.

Personally, I think the final PE has many subtle strengths that will turn it into a cult classic in a few years. It did try to do too much on a limited budget, and some of the areas suffered. Even with that it turned into a solid game on normal, and with a fascinating build system that shines on PotD.

• Booker says:

That’s another thing that’s so much better with Pillars. BG never got decent patching from its developer. Obsidian kept wielding magic into this game after release. You just hope a dev will support their game this well. Obsidian actually delivered. I love what massive improvements they rolled out for this game. It’s so much more interesting to play it again now – for starters.

I especially like what they did with Caed Nua in 3.0. Didn’t like the lack of content there. But now they added the cool stuff from the BG II castle = the audiences. Really happy about that.

10. Fnord73 says:

Have they added an actual plot? I bounced of it sometime aronf the place of the big tree-village in the second half, where I forgot what it was I was supposed to do. Just couldnt remember why I was plodding forward. At all.

• Booker says:

Too bad Pillars doesn’t have a huge freaking journal that explains everything in detail. Oh wait…

11. Booker says:

If Baldur’s Gate II came out today for the first time and it wouldn’t be known at all/a new franchise, people would hate it and feel offended by being offered such “garbage”. The lists of what would be considered “shit” in Baldur’s Gate, would fill many pages.
    That’s what I learned from seeing how many people described Pillars.
    The only thing that’s really gotten worse is people. Back then having such a game felt like a gift and everyone was happy they got to play such a game. Now it’s all only about why it takes 3 days until a patch comes out or the graphics don’t look as next gen on their 4K monitors as they demanded it etc…
    That’s another thing I really loved about Pillars, by playing it for many hours, I was spared from seeing even more of this bullshit.

• Fenixp says:

Look at Steam reviews, GOG reviews, metacritic user reviews… Vocal minority is vocal, but I think we can safely say that Pillars of Eternity is extremely popular and well liked ;-) That being said, I was actually one of those people who couldn’t stand Baldur’s Gate back in the day.

• geisler says:

Jesus christ man, you know what i got from your baseless drivel spread across this page? You are either: 1. A troll from the codex that thinks PoE is garbage but hueueueue it is SO funny to be sarcastic (you would be right, it is garbage, but this routine is getting boring).

2. Josh Sawyer himself, the god of balance that thinks his system is a masterpiece of game design that will last through the ages (it won’t, it’s a boring pos system that will be replaced by a better one, at least if they let someone else design PoE 2).

3. Classic Obsidiantard fanboy, that can’t get it through their thick skull that a game created by the pantheon of ex-Black Isle gods should be open to criticism like any other game, no matter how decent some of their games were in the past.

Either way, get a fucking clue about this game.

• LexW1 says:

By “get a fucking clue” you mean, “agree with all my very angry opinions”, right?

• Lukasz says:

Why are you so angry mate? If you don’t like the game just play something else.

We live in gold age of video games where there are thousands of great games for everyone.
        No need wasting your life on whining about games you don’t like.

I personally haven’t touched poe since week 2. Still trying to finish wasteland 2. Maybe will do so before torment is released

• Minglefingler says:

There are many of your internet sites where people gather to fling this sort of nonsense at each other like several trees full of screaming drugged monkeys. Perhaps you’d be better peddling your frothing diatribes on one of those as this is a mostly pleasant environment where counter-arguments rather than ugly words like “Obsidiantard” prevail.

teije says:

Wow – way to be a jerk.

Go away, you’re harshing the RPS mellow.

• Booker says:

Baseless? Your posting alone is more than enough justification, no – PROOF, for what I was talking about.

teije says:

Backer here and long time RPG player, who has held off on playing PoE until they were all done…

Now that they have, pointers on recommended difficulty/class to start would be appreciated. Not a big fan of RTWP, so combat that’s somewhat but not crazy challenging would be good…

• Booker says:

Then keep on holing off man. They’ll release another patch for their new expansion for sure. They are awesome like that.

• Minglefingler says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about difficulty, you can change it at any time. I’d say go for normal and see how you get on, there are some very challenging fights but you can always leave these until you get better gear or level up. Save often though.
      I don’t want to recommend a class so soon after the patch as there’s been a fair bit of rebalancing done.

• Zekiel says:

I played first as a paladin and was very happy with that. Between him and the companions I played most (but not all) of the classes and they all seemed fun in different ways. I prefer my protagonist to lead from the front, which meant it was pretty much a choice between paladin, fighter and barbarian for me.

I’d imagine all the classes are pretty balanced now, since there have been loads of patches with balance changes.

My general (no-spoiler) advice:

1) As a Baldur’s Gate veteran I found Normal difficulty largely enjoyable (occasional difficulty spikes but nothing impossible) – bear in mind you can alter difficulty whenever you like (thank goodness) so your choice is not set in stone

2) Roleplay – work out what your character’s character is (either before playing or as you go) and play to that. I found it much more fun to do things that way and make choices that felt right for my character, rather than trying to “game” the system

3) Ignore the Endless Paths (the backer mega-dungeon) – I did the first 4 levels and found it a dull slog of just combat. Maybe it gets better later, but there’s plenty of content in the rest of the game that I felt like ignoring it didn’t hurt my experience.

teije says:

Thanks for replies folks.

13. tyronetasty says:

“Josh Sawyer himself, the god of balance that thinks his system is a masterpiece of game design that will last through the ages”

I don’t know if it’s that good, but it’s fairly well conceived. I don’t know what RPG player wouldn’t like it. Every stat matters, and in varying ways, and also supports a wide variety of builds within each class. What else is a system supposed to do exactly? I don’t get the hate. I think people just don’t like Sawyer because he’s some CA hipster who likes cats.