The Witness And Its Colour Palettes

1 of 8

So this is the irritating situation I find myself in. I want to talk about the things I’ve found and seen and taken pictures of in The Witness [official site]. Except because of the infernal “environmental clue-giving” aspect I can’t do that without running the risk of giving spoilers or whatnot by accident – spoilers I might not even know exist.

But! I have uploaded the images from different areas to Colourstory which is an app I use to get an idea for the relative proportions of colours in a picture/set of pictures. Here I was using it because I wanted to see whether the differences between each area were as striking as I thought they were when I was wandering between puzzles. The results were pretty in and of themselves AND, unless J. Blo was using relative proportions of colour to impart valuable game information (OH NO, WHAT IF HE WAS DOING THAT?) I think these would be classed as spoiler-free!

It also lets me see if I’ve understood how our new galleries work. If it has worked you just need to use the arrow buttons at the top to scroll through…

From this site

1. Jaeja says:

See, now I’m wondering if we’re subtly trained to ignore the color impact of certain elements of game scenes (ie don’t register the grey of rocks unless they’re dominant because game rocks are always grey), and there’s some actual mechanical import behind the difference between what you’re remembering being the color balance ingame and what the actual makeup is…

• Boozebeard says:

Much less to do with being “trained” from playing games and more to do with general artistic principles of composition. There are a multitude of things that will influence the way our eyes move around an image and the areas that keep their focus. Any kind of contrast (proportion, value, tone, sharpness, detail) will garner our attention and the direction of lines and shapes will influence the way our eyes moves across the image.

2. Andrew says:

Or you can press Ctrl + → and Ctrl + ←.

That’s on Windows and, I pretty sure, Linux. On Macs, and correct me if I’m wrong, you need to sacrifice your firstborn to jump forward and poke your eye out to jump backward. But at least everything looks like candy!

Kyzrati says:

No need for Ctrl. It’s a script that simply accepts Left/Right arrows to cycle through the images (most dynamic web galleries have such a feature these days).

Oakreef says:

cmd+→ works on macs amazingly

3. Morgan Joylighter says:

I love you guys for actually posting this as an article. It’s so random and not-article-seeming but I am glad to have read it / looked at it. The new gallery system seems great…now just give us Disqus or a similar fully-featured comments section with edits, likes, and notifications for when someone has replied to our posts (the current options notify for every new post in the article regardless of whether you tell it to or not, which is maddening). I would write so much more if I felt like anyone was listening, like I do on Kinja or any site using Disqus.

• Toupee says:

Toupee ^’d your comment

• jrodman says:

Threaded conversations with nice features? Thumbs up!

Third-party untrustworthy disqus with all of its questaionable technology choices and lack of ownership? Thumbs down!

Oakreef says:

I am going to spend all evening uploading my screenshots folder to this website aren’t I?

Oakreef says:

I’m finding that it’s getting stuck processing my screenshots forever. Not sure if the site is overloaded or 1080 rez screenshots just take a long time to process in this thing.

daktaklakpak says:

Minor oddity with the gallery: On initial pageload, the navigation section appears above the image. Once you have clicked forward, the navigation moves to the bottom and stays there (even if you go back to the first image). Reloading the page moves it back to the top. Using Firefox 44.0.2

I’d mark it as “working as designed – adds flavor.”

daktaklakpak says:

And if I had realized that the text changed along with the gallery image, I would have read it and realized you already knew this. *facepalm*

6. Butts says:

Huh. Oddly, for me, the nav bar stays on the top the whole time. Also using FFox44.02. The buttons work as they should, too.