Game-o! Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe Free On Steam

This Future Is Disappointing, Part #89: look at Jet Set Radio then look outside your window. Are a colourful cast of rollerbladers grinding down rails wound around your home and spraying neat tags? Of course not. But hey, at least all and sundry can now have a bash at JSR for free, as Sega have made it free for a little while on Steam. Also going free are platformer Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit and ye olde Golden Axe. Grab ‘em now and they’re yours for keepsies!

You can get Jet Set Radio, Wrath of the Dead Rabbit with its two DLC packs, and Golden Axe and free by visiting any of these store pages and clicking “Install Game”. Doing that to any will get you the whole bundle.

Some young ragamuffin named Nathan didn’t really like Hell Yeah! and Golden Axe is the game that my pal got with his Mega Drive and didn’t even finish, but hey, you might dig ‘em and they’re free. As for Jet Set Radio, I think I’m only partially caught up in nostalgia. A flatmate cracked out his Dreamcast to replay it a few years back, and it was still fun – though we had forgotten how much time is spent trying to find the two tagging spots you’ve missed on a level.

These freebies come as part of Sega’s Make War Not Love campaign, a confusing Valentine’s Day-ish event where Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Total War players are pitted against each other to unlock DLC for their favoured games and we all get showered with free things. The event’s still going on, and it looks like the next set of free games is Streets of Rage II, Binary Domain, and Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. JaguarWong says:

JSR is such a wonderful game.
    Anyone know which region’s soundtrack the Steam version has?

• funkstar says:

It’s every song from all regions with the exception of one they couldn’t get clearance for.

An old destructoid post lists 28 tracks (saying there are two missing) but the steam description says 29 of 30.

The missing track is either Yappie Feet or Many Styles

• JaguarWong says:

Almost perfect, cheers.

I guess it was too much to hope the missing tracks were Rob Zombie.

• wu wei says:

I was disappointed that they seemed to have dropped “Fly Like a Butterfly”, but then I realised that was in JSRFuture.

Now I’m disappointed that Future hasn’t been ported too :(

Oakreef says:

It took me 45 minutes to get past the tutorial of Jet Set Radio. I dunno if it was meant to be that hard to figure out how to get so many tricks in a row or if I’m just really bad at the game.

• Ksempac says:

It’s been a while since i played it, but my hazy memory tells me that yes, actually finishing the tutorial was very hard.

IIRC, once you got the basic inputs it was better to just dive into the first few missions and come back to that tutorial later once you got some experience.

Outside that damn tutorial, the game was definitely a blast (though not perfect, due to some technical/control-related issues IIRC), so i recommend playing it.

3. InternetBatman says:

I really liked the concept of Jet Set Radio, but it’s a horrible port. A lot of actions are unnecessarily bound to the same keys and it felt like I was fighting the input system the entire time.

• funkstar says:

It’s really a game you need a gamepad to get the most out of

• KenTWOu says:

As far as I know there is only two actions which were unnecessarily bound to the same key: ‘graffiti action’ and ‘center camera’. But you can turn the latter off in settings menu. It’s incredibly annoying even when you’re using a gamepad, so I highly recommend to do it.

4. Jalan says:

This event is bizarre. It has a front page window place on Steam but you’d have to dig to find out exactly what it is apart from “Oh, more games are on sale”.

• wu wei says:

It gets worse. The page that mentions the offer says “Go to any of the following pages and click “Install Game” to add all of the games in this package to your account.” But none of the free games had such a button -just the usual price – and you could only use the install button on the original page.

Typical botched job from SEGA :)

• fabronaut says:

Confusing as hell, in both the “what the heck is this event anyway, and what purpose could it possibly serve?” manner, as well as the execution itself.

Are there supposed to be variations based on which game “wins” by having the most playtime or something? I don’t really understand the um, competitive-ish aspect.

Also, in my region it seems that they include something called a bundle? Not sure if that’s a regional thing and I can’t even find a proper store page to see what’s included in that package, but free is free! :)

• Dare_Wreck says:

Huh… the button was there for me, though I seem to remember it being different than the Buy Now button. I had to look for an “Install” or “Play Now” button for this to work. Maybe you only saw the buy button?

• KenTWOu says:

Look for packages that include this game and press install game there.

• baozi says:

Was confused too. Just do this though: visit the Make War Not Love 3 bundle page in Steam and just click on the *bundle*’s “Install Game“ button rather than that of an included game. I don’t think you can redeem an individual game.

• suibhne says:

To be fair, this seems to be an issue with Steam’s capabilities, not SEGA’s.

IJC says:

Nice! That could be a way to get Condemned: Criminal Origins over here in Germany. You folks don’t know how lucky you are.

6. G-Bee says:

Alice, do us a favor and don’t talk about games you know nothing of. Describing Golden Axe as “the game that my pal got with his Mega Drive and didn’t even finish” is just a sad thing to read.

• Da5e says:

Golden Axe on the Mega Drive was, to use 90’s games review parlance, ‘cack.’

Minglefingler says:

I liked it, finished it a lot back when I was a gormless ingénue. I played it again a few years ago and was struck by how bad it was. It’s shite really but knowing this won’t stop me having a go at it now that it’s free.

• Foosnark says:

I loved Golden Axe back in the day, though maybe that was the actual arcade machine version. Tried to play it on PC a few years ago and it was monumentally disappointing.

I often wish for games like Golden Axe, Altered Beast, The Ninja Warriors (1987), Xevious, Galaga, etc. to be updated to cleaner-looking graphics and sound so they’re tolerable to modern eyes and ears, but in the same style and not updated in some ridiculous unfun over-the-top way. Like TxK did for Tempest.

Minglefingler says:

Thunderforce IV. Please someone remake this or at least put the megadrive version on Steam. The fact that it’s not on there is clearly a massive oversight on someone’s part and if that person quietly rectifies this then they get to keep their job and I get to play my favourite side scrolling shoot em up.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Is this a favour you intend to return? How big? ‘Help me move house’ big or just ‘buy me a pint’ big?

Alternatively, how’s “the game we’d sometimes consider before just playing Streets of Rage II instead because it’s more colourful and exciting”?

7. JarinArenos says:

Might as well call this the “balls hard” bundle if my experience playing them all last night is any indicator. Maybe I’m just getting old.