When Does The Division Open Beta Start?

Tom Clancy’s The Division [official site] is returning to beta this weekend, but this time it’s open to everyone. If you’re tempted, you can start pre-loading the game now via Uplay or Steam, and find out when the beta unlocks in your region below.

Those of you who want to play, you can start doing so this Friday, February 19 from 9am GMT / 10am CET / 1am PST / 4am EST. The beta will then close on Sunday, February 21st, assuming they don’t extend it like they did the closed beta.

The Division’s beta should appear under the ‘Games’ tab of the Uplay client automatically or by clicking the big ‘Open Beta’ banner on the game’s Steam page. It’ll already be ready to go if you played the closed beta, although there have been a lot of tweaks and fixes to the game since then. This beta will also offer slightly different content, with the singleplayer mission this time being set in the ‘Subway Morgue’ and being to rescue Paul Rhodes, an engineer who can help establish the tech wing of your headquarters.

Adam wrote his impressions of The Division based on a trip to Massive’s studio in Sweden, and was somewhat positive:

“The Division has been a long time coming and I had no idea what kind of game I’d be playing until I sat down with it a couple of days ago. It’s a far more effective blend of ideas than I’d expected but I can’t quite get past the dissonance between the setting and the style of play. Whether it’ll matter in the long run, I can’t say – it only took me fifteen minutes to get used to the idea that a man in a hoodie can take 30 bullets right in the chest. Maybe it’s odd that I’d accept that so readily if he were twelve feet tall or a wizard.”

He also spoke to the team about the importance of PC in the game’s development.

My experiences in the closed beta were mixed: I like the structure of it, wherein your actions out in the world give you materials to expand and improve your headquarters and unlock more story; but I’m unconvinced by the shooting, which often requires you to pump umpteen machinegun bullets into enemies before you get the feedback of them falling over. I’m not sure if one will override the other, but I’ll be playing this weekend and will offer some more thoughts next week.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Top comments

• Jeeva says:

Ah, yep. Got massaged into a more standard link.

steam://install/414460 <- should do the trick.

1. Barberetti says:

Yeah, I downloaded this yesterday. Figured it’s as close to a demo as I’m likely to get, and I’m in the mood for a new world to explore so what the hell.

2. Phenomen says:

@Graham Smith developers said numerous times for the past 3 years that The Division is RPG, not shooter/simulator. Long time to kill is required to balance RPG stats and skills.

• dongsweep says:

That is true but people can still feel like it is a drawback. Personally, I was really looking forward to this game but the whole bullet sponge thing completely turns me off. I will try the open beta but I suspect that will be enough for me not to enjoy the game, which is sad because all the screenshots I saw years ago had me looking forward to this game, oh well.

• Fontan says:

I’m going to try the beta specifically because of that. I’m looking forward to the game and I really want to like it, but I’m so put off by the shooting in the videos. It looks realistic until someone opens fire and unloads a full magazine to put down a guy with a baseball bat. I hope the rest of the game gives me enough enjoyment to ignore the shooting mechanics.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m still wondering how much the sponginess is real, though.

I mean, people said the same about Borderlands, but it wasn’t the same for me. A level appropriate, low fire rate sniper pretty much killed every threat in the head, and even other spammy stuff was pretty effective if used properly and with some decent quality.

I absolutely understand however the dissonance between what we’re used to expect in a multiplayer survival sandbox, thanks to Day-Z and the likes, and i’m not writing off the idea that they probably went too far with The Division, but for me it sounds more like an attempt to prevent the usual KOS problem.

Sure, maybe hamfisted, maybe not something people wanted, but as long as the rest of the gameplay design rolls with it i’d say we’re looking at just a matter of taste.

• Mr.Snowy says:

Which is pretty much exactly how The Division plays. Reports of bullet-sponginess are over-rated…

3. sweenish says:

When I clicked pre-load in uPlay, it sent me to Steam.

caff says:

I’ll preload and try it, but I’m not very hopeful.

5. thinkDRU says:

Just want to make this article a little more accurate: the beta starts officially below (console dependent).

XBOX ONE: Thursday, Feb 18 10am CET | 4am EST | 1am PST
    PS4 and PC: Friday, Feb 19 1pm CET | 7am EST | 4am PST

6. Crimsoneer says:

It looks totally generic, and that annoys me.

7. rexx.sabotage says:

Just to clarify; there ARE 12 foot tall wizards?