Mark Hamill, Alan Tudyk Join Master Of Orion Voice Cast

Wargaming have announced a gaggle of voiceover actors, including That Man Off Star Wars and Those Guys From Star Trek and Him Off Firefly and Wasn’t He In Babylon 5 for their reboot of 4x classic Master of Orion [official site]. There is definitely a space theme.

In case any of the above was unclear, you can expect voicework by Mark Hamill, John de Lancie, Michael Dorn, Alan Tudyk, Dwight Schultz and others as you play the videogame. Those others include Nolan North and Troy Baker because, y’know, it is illegal to make a videogame without them.

Here’s the full cast list:

· Troy Baker: Klackon Advisor, Psilon Emperor

· Nolan North: Darlok Emperor, Sakkra Emperor

· Dwight Schultz: GNN Anchor

· Roger Craig Smith: Sakkra Advisor

· Fred Tatasciore: Bulrathi Emperor, Silicoid Emperor

· Alan Tudyk: Psilon Advisor

· Kari Wahlgren: Human Advisor, GNN Anchor

I was going to sit here and talk about how much I loved Q episodes of The Next Generation and how I think I’m due a rewatch of that show instead of just watching clip compilations and re-edits on YouTube. Or I could revisit Michael Dorn’s work on I Am Weasel and pretend I am young again. Or I could have talked about Other Things These People Have Done In Gaming.

Instead I’m going to say I’ve just read that Misty Lee went to college to study dentistry before becoming a full-time magician and I feel like that could have been an interesting merging of two careers.

“I have removed your wisdom tooth… but where is it now? CHECK YOUR BACK POCKET!”

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Alien426 says:

You mean Master Of Orion 4?!

• Captain Joyless says:

No, not 4.

• Lanfranc says:

Don’t be silly. There was no Master of Orion 3. That was just a bad dream we all had.

• unacom says:

It was bad. I´ll give you that.
        But it was definitely NOT a dream.
        Unless dreams used to pilfer younger me´s wallet, that is.

• Alien426 says:

But if you deny MOO3 and call it MOO, then you will lose MOO2 when they do a sequel!

• Unsheep says:

The mods fixed MOO3 for me, still it was not as good as the older ones, I’ll grant you that.

2. Captain Joyless says:

I want to be excited about this but I firmly believe that 1) is incompetent and 2) Stellaris will be infinitely better and I won’t have time to play that many space empire games.

• LexW1 says:

Pretty much this. Nice voice-cast does nothing to convince me the game won’t be mediocre-to-bad. One of the races being collector’s edition-only isn’t a good sign.

• Joshua Northey says:

The strength of the game will have literally nothing to do with (admittedly stupid) CE only race et cetera. There are games hobbled by DLC and such, but not many, mostly games are either good or bad on their own regardless of whether they pursue that model, and if they are good you can just ignore the DLC if you choose.

I mean I have almost no DLC for Civ5, EU4, the “Endless” series of game, and a variety of other 4X, titles, at most it slightly hurts the replay-ability. But the games pretty much stand or fall on their own merits.

• minijedimaster says:

I’m pretty sure I’ll have plenty of time to enjoy both in the years to come. Its a good time to be a 4x space game fan.

• Comco says:

Trying to compare Stellaris and MOO seems like a pointless Endeavour. They are vastly different games. It would be like trying to compare Stardrive 2 to Distant Worlds: Universe. Stellaris is a hugely dense, detailed simulation of empires. It’s a grand strategy game in space.

Master of Orion looks like it’s arriving a few years late. Playing Stardrive 2, which is a pretty faithful recreation of Master of Orion 2’s core gameplay mechanics, made me realise how dated it now feels next to some of the more recent 4X games. MOO2 was a fantastic game in its day, but there’s been many innovations to move us away from repeatedly clicking the Turn button until your finger gets tired or something actually happens.

My biggest concern isn’t that they stray too far from MOO2 with this remake – it’s that they don’t go far enough in innovating and regurgitate the same game.

3. Ur-Quan says:

Well I do like Mark Hamill as an actor and all but… honestly I couldn’t give less of a fuck on who is going to voice the AI factions in a 4x game. I’d rather have them spend all that money on making a better game, but so far Stellaris looks a lot more interesting than the new Master of Orion.

Mungrul says:

As an aside, Dwight Schultz gave one of the most impressive voice performances I’ve ever heard; he played the antagonist, Uncle Paulie, in The Darkness.
    The reason it impressed me was that Schultz has a very distinctive voice, and I didn’t recognise him at all until the credits ran.
    I mean, this is alongside Mike Patton doing an absolutely incredible job as the titular Darkness. It should have been his show, but Schultz stole it for me.

Howling Mad Murdock forever!

5. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

If we plot the number of games John deLancie is in each year on a graph and extrapolate, we can clearly see that he will be in all games by 2021. I. Can’t. Wait.

• RedViv says:

Out of gaming’s Dark Age we shall ascend into the Snark Age, where ALL is JUST SOOO GOOOOD.

• Comco says:

Does he actually ‘do voices’, or does he just play John de Lancie? I’ve got to say – even though the nerd in me got a kick out of his work on Legacy of the Void, the fact that he literally sounded exactly like Q (and, coincidently, himself) was actually quite distracting.

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I don’t know if Mark Hamill as the Alkari emperor is more subtle than it could’ve been or less.

• ZeroWaitState says:

I’m just surprised he’s not playing the Emperor of a race of humanoids who all wear purple suits and clown makeup.

7. Cinek says:

Mark Hamill got a new wave of popularity in PC gaming. :)

• Ur-Quan says:

More like Mark Hamill got a new wave of popularity Period.
      Really glad for him. I always thought he was a great actor.

• Comco says:

You’re joking, right? Check out his IMDB page – he’s been doing ~5-10 voice acting gigs a year for at least the past decade. He’s always been a hot property in voice acting gigs.

link to

8. Unsheep says:

Michael Dorn, John de Lancie, Dwight Schultz, Alan Tudyk and Robert Englund !? this thing can’t get any better.
    …oh yeah and what’s his name…Troy Baker.

I can actually buy and play this game since it will also be released at GOG, so thank you NGD Studios and WG Labs for making this epic reboot DRM-free !

9. Zenicetus says:

If this was… I dunno, a space-’em-up RPG like Mass Effect I might care about it. But a strategy game? All it says to me is that they’re spending money in the wrong areas. How many extra AI programmers would this have paid for?

• jezcentral says:

I’m not sure voice acting would cost the earth. Yes, these people are the cream of voice-acting, but this isn’t Liam Neeson style stunt casting (see Elder Scrolls), where you have to pay top dollar. And I wouldn’t think the budget for VA work on a game like MOO would be too onerous. A few sound-bites is all it would take. “We are pleased with our trade treaty”, “Thank you for honouring the terms of our non-aggression pact”, “You will be crushed under the boot of the glorious Emperor[X]”. That sort of thing.

• PancakeWizard says:

There wont be a lot of lines. Think CiV script.

• minijedimaster says:

And you know… they could have plenty of budget for both… GASP

• Moraven says:

They don’t get paid as much as you think…

link to

• ZeroWaitState says:

Pulsar: Lost Colony shows there is gameplay niche not being served right now. Space crew co-op is a thing, and there’s a market out there for even the badly done stuff. Studios can’t really get funding for new gameplay types due to capital partners being scared of the market, so the really cool stuff is all indie now. If you want to see where gaming is going, don’t look at remakes. Look at what indie dev’s are doing.

10. Replikant says:

So, Commander Blair is back in space? Shame I wouldn’t hear him scream anyway, due to me playing 4X without my headphones most of the time.

11. minty says:

A big chunk of that list is on my “best voice actors” list. just hope the gameplay lives up to the quality of the voice cast but it is encouraging to see that they are not scrimping on voice talent.

12. PancakeWizard says:

Holy shit I had no idea this was being remade! Damn those races are a bit wet though. They should’ve just wholesale ripped off the StarDrive ones. Best alien races in a 4x game I’ve ever seen.

• Joshua Northey says:

Umm the like 80% of the Stardrive ones are literally a ripoff of the MOO races? You realize that don’t you? I mean Stardrive did a great job in that aspect, but really only the Owlwoks are a new idea there.

13. RedViv says:

4X games with Star Trek voices as narrators will always have my approval.

I miss Nimoy.

14. racccoon says:

I see the light! one problem is the tunnel is lost. ;(

15. ZeroWaitState says:

MOO was ground-breaking, but it wasn’t as good as people remember. MOO2 was the only really decent one of the bunch. The “Endless” series was much better in my opinion, and if you want fiddly battle where you control all the units, Sins of a Solar Empire. I think people spend too much time trying to reinvent MOO and all of MOO’s problems.