Missed: First XCOM 2 Patch Doesn’t Help Much

The technically-troubled XCOM 2 [official site] squeaked out its first patch last night, but if you were praying for some kind of omni-fix for its chaotic framerate, I’m afraid you’re going to have to grumpily return to Overwatch.

The patch does squash a couple of nasty crash-bugs, but doesn’t do anything meaningful to performance despite the claim that it smooths some of the spikes off the framerate. Some people are even reporting that the game’s running worse in the aftermath of the hotfix.

First up, here’s what the hotfix does:

• Player is unable to progress to scan in the Geoscape after completing the Resistance Communications research via Tutorial – This will fix previously affected saves.
  • Unable to load saves with a Chryssalid Cocoon – This will fix the issue, and for previously affected saves.
  • Adjustments were made to Texture Streaming to assist with periodic frame spikes.
  • Using the preview voice button for a modded voice pack will no longer crash the game when in the armory.
  • Removed 8x MSAA from default Max settings.

Granted, that’s a small number of fixes given it’s now been a fortnight since launch, but Firaxis say the process continues and that “It is important to the team that we address the issues below as soon as possible so fans can get back to enjoying the game.” Also: Firaxis are probably all on holiday, as is often the case after completing a years-long project. I’ll be grumpy if there isn’t a big improvement by March, but I can stomach a bit more waiting for now.

But the sad truth is that the patch doesn’t appear to be achieving much, apart from for those who experience either of the specific progress roadblocks mentioned in the first two fixes. Some users report improved loading times here or a slight improvement to stuttering there, but they’re overwhelmed by those reporting no improvement.

My own game certainly doesn’t run any better than before, and in fact I’m experiencing many, many more crashes than I was before. That might be because the patch clashes with one of the handful of mods (all purely UI stuff, e.g. Evac All and Free Rotation) I’m using, but sadly it does mean that I have to put my diary on hold until it’s resolved, otherwise I’m going to lose my mind. (Sadly the game won’t let you reload a save made with mods on if you turn any of those mods off).

Meanwhile the Steam forums are full of people screeching that matters have gotten even worse for them – lower framerates, new crashes, complete failure to launch.

Some folk are simply outraged to have waited so long for so little, or that one ‘fix’ is to reduce the quality of Anti-aliasing available at the Max setting (though you can still manually turn it up in the impossible event that your PC is capable of 8x MSAA in this game), so grains of salt should usually be deployed liberally across that particular amphitheatre. There is, however, no escaping that Firaxis’ Gremlins still need to deploy Aid for quite some time to come.

If the game’s crashing at launch for you as a result of the patch, try checking the integrity of your download: right-click on XCOM 2 in your Steam library, click Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity Of Game Cache then wait for around ten minutes. It helps for some people.

While we wait for a more meaningful patch, try out these performance tweaks: 6 and 7 particularly pretty much doubled my own frame rate, although sadly it still jumps around all over the place.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. FuriKuri says:

Well the Chrysalid bug being fixed is good at least. It would totally corrupt your save, and was practically guaranteed to show up on the retaliation missions where they’d easily kill civilians & create cocoons. Fortunately I had saves from earlier in the mission since it wasn’t my ironman play through.

• FuriKuri says:

Actually I think I’ll just list all the bugs I remember seeing to get them off my chest. Who knows, maybe some Firaxis drone will see ’em.

* Pressing ‘r’ twice to reload a weapon while my soldier is still running to a destination would occaisionally cause them to throw a grenade at a random part of the map.
      * Various other bugs involving using the shortcut keys in such a manner.
      * Various bugs with mimic, soldiers freaking out when it died, Bradford crying we’re leaving someone behind on the avenger defence mission, etc.
      * Using the psi ability ‘void rift’ from squad concealment would stop overwatch on my other soldiers from triggering entirely (great fun seeing that for the first time on ironman).
      * Using the conceal ability would frequently stop me from issuing any other commands to the soldier in question until I deslected/reselected them.
      * A soldier got completely stuck and unable to move after being missed by an andromedan suit melee attack which destroyed the cover they were behind (in the 3 soldier mission no less).
      * Rapidly pressing ‘o’ to get all my troops on overwatch would occaisonally lock up the UI completely.
      * Soldiers would often be unable to throw grenades at the proper distance. Commonly if they were behind heavy cover. The ‘avatar room’ at the end of the game seems pretty bad for this.
      * Hacking a mech that is in overwatch and shutting it down doesn’t cancel the overwatch (enjoyed losing a major to that bullshit).

It is unfortunate, Firaxis, that your recent efforts have been so… mediocre.

• aere1985 says:

I had an identical bug on the 3-soldier mission with 1 soldier getting stuck, I think it was an archon making the melee attack on mine though.

• LexW1 says:

Post-patch I’ve experienced:

The last one is particularly weird and inconsistent. I’ve had it work fine, and I’ve had it do exactly as you say and just stop any overwatch shots (including Killzone) from being taken during the ambush. The only clue I have is that it worked fine *at first*, then started going wrong – Void Rift was one of the first abilities I got, so I wonder if the secondary effects of Void Rift, which I think you only get with more Psi stuff trained, cause the problem.

• piercehead says:

I think there’s possibly something more at work here, or at least more than just that one skill affecting overwatch. I remember watching one of Christopher Odd’s missions and right near the start all of his overwatches failed to trigger from concealment; he had no Psi Ops so…something else may be afoot.

• Wisq says:

Honestly, this is why I always strongly recommend that people do “soft” ironman, which is to say, enforcing it themselves rather than having the game do it. Especially with new releases, especially if there are known major bugs that can ruin a run, and super especially if there are save-corrupting bugs.

Even without any of the above, something like a power outage or BSOD can be fatal to an ironman game if the game doesn’t practice good savefile discipline (i.e. overwrites rather than new+delete).

Plus, it’s also handy if you want to only ironman your strategic decisions, and not “oh god the UI made me click somewhere I didn’t want to go and now my low-health soldier is out in the open with no moves left”. Or perhaps “oh god my cat just jumped on the mouse and made me grenade my entire squad”.

• Dominare says:

What you’re describing is known as ‘honestman’ and I play that way for exactly the reasons you describe. The ironman achievement can wait until the game is mature and mostly fixed, as it did with EW.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I really don’t know how people could stand ironmanning the first Firaxcom when the LoS calculations were so funky, and the simplification of time units to move/fire mean you couldn’t take One Extra Step if it turned out you were still obstructed after moving to what looked like a good spot. That’s not a “live with your choices” mistake, that’s a “the game’s abstractions are messing with me” mistake.

• Wisq says:

It’s been so long that I forgot, but I guess XCOM:EU didn’t have the same “you can shoot this enemy” crosshair icon next to the enemy health bars?

• cakeisalie says:

For me one of the most annoying bugs is that if you press overwatch too quickly while switching between soldiers, it stops you being able to set overwatch at all for any of the remaining team.

I was also mildly amused when I got a poor mission rating for losing three soldiers despite no one dying. It seems it counted the mind-controlled aliens I got killed.

• Dude (Darloc) says:

The bugs I had so far:
        – A sectoid reanimating the mimic beacon, yeah that was great, it looked like a normal zombie.
        – Mimic beacon position seen as “friendly fire” a turn after it is gone
        – Lancer activating twice in a row, happen twice so far. Run up to my ranger, use its sword, get baldestormed (but not killed) and them reactivate and go to cover and shoot my ranger.
        – Ranger sword benefiting from special amo, not so great when your ranger set the tile is in on fire, this cost me two soldiers as he was unable to throw a beacon
        – Advent VIP dying because I grenaded its starting position. He was one turn from extraction on the shoulder of my ranger when a mech got at my back, I launched a grenade at him with my grenadier, he was standing next to the spot where the VIP spawned, when the grenade detonated the VIP died even while he was nowhere near the blast.
        – Repeater triggering on special ammo effect, had an advent shieldbarrer who died executed by the poison (he had 6-8 hp left)

So yeah there are quite a lot of stuff that should have been discovered during Q&A….

• piercehead says:

QA*

Also, are you sure you haven’t got the 3rd tier sword which does actually set fire to things.

• Danarchist says:

I think I saw the same thing he did last night, and it is different than it was before the patch.

I have been using the third tier swords for a couple days, and yes they do set the enemy you strike on fire, but they do not set the tile your standing on in flames. Just the target you hit. Last night I finished off a…andromada(?) with my ranger and instead of spewing its normal acid it caught everything within a square on fire. Including my bestest ranger “Hillary Buff” who had 4 health left…
            I thought maybe the acid had a chance of igniting or something and wrote it off till the same thing happened with a advent officer on the next map.

DrollRemark says:

Based on the recounting of the same Bladestorm bug I’ve seen, I would say yes, because that seems to be due to the secondary fire infliction it causes. The lancer gets hurt and burned, and this seems to give them a full free turn again, where they generally run away a bit, and shoot at my Ranger.

• carewolf says:

Overwatch not being able to trigger on many types of enemies, because it strictly only triggers on rarely used “movement action”, so not on any form of charge attack, teleport, or other ability that moves the enemy.

• carewolf says:

A similar programming bug affects line-of-sight which ONLY applies to ranged weapon attacks, and thus not most ability attacks or for that matter melee attacks or viper attack

They really need to go though all their abilities and try to categories them, instead of having to select specific ones the standard rules apply to.

• Rizlar says:

If they can also fix the save corruption due to shooting a alien’s body off the side of the scenery in the penultimate mission (on ironman ofc) I will be a happy commander.

• Fiddlestickz says:

Like the TF” soldier says: Get wiith the program..

The game is a performance mess atm, i think they have their work cut out for them for the coming months.

Also something peculiar:
      Remember how CAPSLOCK increased loading times and everyone was screaming about it. There is another very strange bug.

To clarify watch this video:
      youtube.com/watch?v=eMSfqRJv4es

In words:
      If you spam backspace, end turn, during your team’s last move in a fight, it will skip the enemy turn, if you get the timing right.

This basically allows you to scum through L/I and get that juicy achievement :]

Philopoemen says:

I’ve been playing with no issues on Max settings at 1080p on my (gaming) laptop pre-patch with no issues after disabling the in-game sync. Ran like a dream.

Post-patch…ugh.

• atticus says:

Same here. Performance got much worse after patching last night, and also had to reload a mission after my two snipers fell through a roof but appeared to be still on top of it visually and couldn’t move or hit anything. This could’ve been a bug from earlier, but I’ve never seen it before.

Seems like I need to leave it alone for a few weeks and hope for more patches and fixes. The game is plenty frustrating without having to deal with all these technical difficulties.

• cakeisalie says:

I’ve experienced that same bug before the patch.

• Wisq says:

I had most of my team fall through a roof into the interior of one of those street checkpoint booths. I suspect they weren’t supposed to ever be in there, because it really glitched things — they now teleported around instead of moving, and they wouldn’t visually fire on anything, their target would just take damage after a pause.

Also had an interesting moment where my sniper did the “kill zone” thing against a Sectopod and two troopers. He raises his rifle … and doesn’t charge it, doesn’t fire. The screen pans back to the three enemies, pauses a long time, and then … bang, the two troopers die and the Sectopod takes damage all simultaneously.

So far, I can’t say I’ve encountered anything game-breaking, but jeez, some of these bugs are pretty wacky.

3. C0llic says:

This is standard for a first patch really, isn’t it? Serious crash bugs usually get fixed first. I’m hoping for a substantial performance patch too, but these usually take quite a lot longer.

• LexW1 says:

Depends on the company.

Bethesda or Firaxis standard? For sure.

For many other companies, though, including a lot of EA studios, this would be seen as pretty sub-par. What usually happen is that they’re preparing the first patch before the game goes live, and have anticipated many of the issues users experience because they’ve been continuing to do QA and so on. Most studios simply do not launch games in the state XCOM 2 is in, though.

4. TheMopeSquad says:

Pretty shocked it’s taking so long to get some meaningful fixes out. It seems like every prime video game I played in the last five months was patched almost immediately. This one was definitely the most broken out of all of them and here we are two weeks later.

• JFS says:

It’s still the most broken of them all! :) I’m really glad I only get minor glitches, but the most terrifying thing in this game is nonetheless the prospect of Ironman + fatal bug. Not the Chryssalids.

• Joshua Northey says:

I don’t know there are some glitches, but there really are not that many serious problems. I mean look even in this thread “if you pump key X”, well don’t pump that key. A lot of the problems are things that don’t come up if you play normally.

5. Unsheep says:

Want something with a similar theme ? try the original XCom games, there are guides available for them if you feel intimidated, plus they do have a Novice difficulty level. Along the same lines are UFO Aftermath and UFO Aftershock, they are occasionally buggy but not as much as XCom 2. For something more recent try Xenonauts.

• aircool says:

I had exactly the same issues with Witcher 3. I couldn’t understand why it got such great reviews when it has so many technical problems and the worst control system ever.

However, I’m loving every second of XCOM 2, so I may as well just accept my hypocrisy on this matter :)

• Archonsod says:

Possibly because the problems aren’t universal? I had zero problems with Witcher 3. Similarly the only performance issue I’ve had with XCom 2 was stuttering during the cutscenes – which vanished on a reboot (and to be fair, this tends to be normal for me with Steam pre-loads; seems to be related to Steam’s decompression). Although for that matter the only bugs I’ve hit in the game tend to be somewhat benign – the odd long pause when something gets shot from an odd angle, and now and again if I have multiple overwatch shots going off one of the gun sounds will play repeatedly until whichever weapon is guilty fires again. Now and again it also gets a bit weird with pathfinding across multiple floors – sometimes units will appear to drop through the ceiling and then reappear on the correct floor when moving. I did hit what I retrospectively suspect was the Chrysalid bug at one point, however I thought it was a bugged save and since I’m not bothering with Iron Man was able to revert to an earlier one – at the time I suspected it was just that mission since reloading sometimes fixed it, but most likely it was simply whether the cocoons were present or not.
        Framerate tends to be conistent for the most part, it does tend to dip when there’s a lot going on (most noticeable between turns when you have buildings burning down and the like) but since there’s zero effect on the gameplay I’m not actually bothered by it (and I can always try turning down some of the graphics options).

• carewolf says:

Zero issues? Witcher 3 controls where universally retarded. It was not a question of hardware or configuration, and there were no way to get rid of their retardedness.

• Sorbicol says:

I’m quite lucky in that the performance issues for me haven’t meant the game is unplayable. I’m more concerned with gameplay bugs (frequently I get soldier turns ending when I’ve only moved them once not twice, and I also get issues with soldiers getting stuck in scenery or behind dead aliens when it’s getting destroyed or they fall through roofs and such) – that’s enough to put me off using Ironman at the moment.

With regard to people not reporting about it, I would point you to Dragon Age: Inquisiton. The second patch of that game rendered it utterly unplayable for me (horrific lag spikes and glitching every few seconds in game) and a lot of other people on PC. Despite a 100 page thread in their forums with people bitching about it and coming up with their own fixes (which were extremely system setup specific) Bioware/EA never once acknowledged there was a problem, respond to that thread in anyway, and it was never once reported on any gaming site you care to mention – here, Eurogamer, Kotaku, PCGamer, polygon or wherever. It happens all the bloody time.

10 patches and 11 months later they did fix it but by that time I only found out when I fired the game up on the off chance.

• LexW1 says:

“Man this game is an overambitious mess. If this had been a different franchise and done by different developers it would have been butchered by media and critics by now. Really, 9/10 ?!

This shows just how starved gaming media, popular streamers and critics are of a good isometric combat game. Might I direct your attention then to somewhat recent games of this nature that happen to work really well on PC: Underrail, Hard West, Age of Decadence, Shadowrun Hong Kong and Avernum 2.”

Several critics have quite clearly and openly said that the builds they had ran at 50-60fps in places where the released build chugs along at 25-45fps, so blaming the critics seems like the wrong thing to do here.

Also, to be fair, the gameplay is that of a 9/10 game. Had the build the reviewers received been as bad as this, I have no doubt we’d have seen fewer good scores.

• cakeisalie says:

I think they make a decent point. It’s a good game (performance/bugs aside)and it certainly improves on the first, but it doesn’t live up to the hype of the reviews and I personally still prefer the originals.

Although it partly addresses some of the issues of the first game, it still suffers from serious balance issues. The game start off very challenging, but by the mid-game it’s mostly a cake wake (bar a few of the story missions). And the AI is still pretty uninspired, with most of the challenge coming from the aliens’ numerical superiority, ability to soak up large amounts of damage and the god awful “pod discovery” mechanic, which effectively gives the aliens a free turn.

• JFS says:

Yep. I really wonder about those reviews. Why can’t the regular players get the well-performing code version?

• Wisq says:

Yeah, the gameplay is 9/10, the performance issues may be build-related or may just be because the reviewers in question have high-spec rigs (mine handles the game 100% okay), and the glitches range in intensity from amusing to game-breaking, so some reviewers might not have encountered the worst ones.

There may also be a certain degree of trust going on here, in that (I think?) Firaxis generally has a reputation for fixing issues and continuing to support their games for a while.

I would love to see reviewers split up their scores some. I’m not talking about the old IGN “graphics”, “audio”, “gameplay” thing — I mean “here’s a score based purely on the concept and gameplay”, and then “here’s that score corrected for bugs and/or performance issues”. The former being what the game might be someday, the latter being what it is now. And then revisit it a month or three down the line, and update the score. (Do those annoying aggregator sites like Metacritic even support an outlet changing their score later?)

DrollRemark says:

Here’s the thing: There’s a difference between a lot of niggly little bugs and an outright broken mess. I’ve played 40-ish hours of the game and have definitely seen several bugs, so I’m not going to attempt some kind of “well I’ve not seen them so people must be overdoing it” ignorance to the issues, but what I have seen hasn’t seriously broken the game in any way. Meanwhile, the remainder of those 40 hours has been near-excellent fun, so that’s why I rate the game so highly, even with so many bugs.

I realise that even though I’ve seen bugs, mind, I’ve probably gotten off lightly. I had numerous issues with the graphics until the Geforce Experience game-tuner thingy laughed at what the game had set as my recommended settings and knocked everything right down. I’ve also not played on Ironman yet and none of the save-corrupting bugs have gone beyond the current map I’d been on. So obviously there may (and probably are) be others who’ve had a much worse time than me, but I can personally understand why this game is getting so much praise despite issues.

6. aircool says:

The only real problem for me seems to occur later in the game when there’s lots of debris from destroyed buildings. Something to do with the physics perhaps?

7. pelwl says:

I didn’t have any massive issues, until the final mission, where I twice had to quit the game due to it glitching out with bright flashing colours all over the screen. Then I found that none of my recent saves would load and had to go back a few hours to one that would. Just as well I wasn’t on an Ironman run and had been save scumming to some extent.

• Luciferian says:

I had the same experience. Went through the whole game without any big issues and the only frame rate drops I got were on the Skyranger. Then, in the last missions I got those flashing colors on the floor of the level and I thought it might be frying my GPU, so I quit out. Then when I tried to load, my save was corrupted. Fortunately, this patch fixed those issues for me and I was able to load my save and continue where I left off, but I noticed a pretty massive decrease in performance.

8. Nick says:

load times (into missions) and transitions from geoscape to base and vice versa have made me shelve the game till a fix is in, which is a shame cause I love it.

9. Shadow says:

I have been having performance issues as well on my decent gaming rig, and I can’t wait till they get fixed or at least significantly mitigated.

But since when are hotfixes supposed to be miraculous? Fast patch, or thorough patch. Pick one.

10. Banks says:

The final mission is the glitchiest shit I’ve seen in my life. I had to restart over five times and It almost gave me epilepsy.

Fun times.

11. onionman says:

I got the Chryssalid bug about 2/3 of the way through my Commander/Ironman run and was, uh, ‘displeased’ that my save appeared to be borked.

Fortunately I found some very helpful advice on reddit that involved the use of a hidden debug launcher, but still.

DrollRemark says:

I’ve had too many saves just crap out and refuse to load playing Normal to even consider going near Ironman at the moment.

12. Fiddlestickz says:

Like the TF” soldier says: Get wiith the program..

Also something peculiar:

To clarify watch this video:
    youtube.com/watch?v=eMSfqRJv4es

In words:

This basically allows you to scum through L/I and get that juicy achievement :]

13. Horg says:

The patch helped me a little. The game now sits on a constant 60 when panning the camera around, drops to 50 when a soldier is in motion, and for some reason 40 when a specialist is in motion. Must be the gremlin. It still runs like arse whenever there are significant amounts of particles to render, like fire and broken glass / walls. Needs more work. Much more.

The Sombrero Kid says:

This game is amazing but it’s sooo buggy. The 100% reproducibility of some of the bugs is indicative of a very poorly managed QA cycle. Bugs like the chrysalid save bug or the viper squeeze + bladestorm bug absolutely could not have escaped the testers and were clearly ignored by management.

• Shadow says:

I always shake my head whenever I see comments about “poorly managed QA”, assuming so much with so little information. People so easily forget or don’t care to get some perspective, and consider all the bugs, perhaps greater ones, that -were- squashed. An issue that’s supposedly so blatantly obvious now might’ve arisen from the final bugfixing, or reluctantly allowed through because resources were then directed towards fixing worse problems.

That said, the game could’ve spent longer in that cycle.

15. shadow9d9 says:

That’s what you get for buying a game at launch before reading reviews that detail the bugs. Keep purchasing on day one and you keep rewarding failure. No one learns.

• DailyFrankPeter says:

Pretty sure a lot of reviewers, and not calling names, but with over 2 mil subs, did not mention other bugs than framerate and camera.

• shadow9d9 says:

Those are clearly not trustworthy sources then, and people need to learn their lesson.

You always have to be selective about review sources.

16. DailyFrankPeter says:

Speaking of holiday, call me a leftist, but I wouldn’t mind them all going on holiday before the release date, in order to then approach the last, say, 2 months of debugging with a fresh head.

17. Mrice says:

Just so everyone knows. Im pretty confident steam lets you roll back games to previous versions.

18. Crowleyface says:

Slightly weird one, but I had no voiceover at all outside of the cutscenes and this patch seems to have sorted it. Hadn’t noticed how eerily silent it had been.

19. Sunjammer says:

I’m on 3 year old hardware and the game has performed poorly but at the same time not poorly enough to make performance the real offender. The turn-to-turn gameplay bugs are what’s really stuck out to me.

20. Scandalon says:

So…I should start my “real” playthrough of Enemy Within now?

21. Josh Millard says:

I’ve been enjoying the game a ton and having a generally tolerable time with performance (needed some of the recommended tweaks on a pretty reasonably beefy box and still has weird spikes), and I’ve run into some incidental bugs but nothing game-breaking, so all in all I’ve been happy enough as this stuff goes. But.

But I’m stuck now on a motherfucker of a game-breaker. During the stirring cut scene before the final mission, with the rousing music and the inspiring speech from a gruff but earnest man, right when he gets around to saying blah blah you can do it, you’re X-COM, you–

It reboots my computer. Every time. Same spot. Monkeying with graphics settings didn’t help. Driver update didn’t help. Hotfix didn’t help. Different save game didn’t help. Skipping the scene doesn’t help because apparently it’s unskippable. Just: speech speech reboot. Consistently. It’s breakin’ my goddam heart.

22. DavidKer says:

I do not see how this is a big deal. Less than 4 months before we have cards that physically push out 4x what current gen 980ti’s push out. Can’t we all wait to run it at 120fps 4k then?

23. DrZhark says:

I stopped buying games at release. In fact, my game backlog is so big, I don’t even know where to start. I haven’t even finished playing XCOM. Am I alone on this? everybody seems quite happy to play the latest thing.. I will wait until this has been properly patched, DLC’ed and GOTY’ed to buy it. and then it will go on my pile of games to play

Right now I’m playing Fallout Vegas (as I got ashamed I didn’t have the time to play it now that Fallout IV is here), GTA-V and Dungeons2…..

24. Bullett00th says:

‘Doesn’t help much’ is a criminal understatement.
    I’ve had over 60 hours of gameplay prior to the hotfix – buggy, unoptimized gameplay, but free of crashes and gamebreaking bugs.

After the hotfix I simply can’t play due to the game crashing when loading the Avenger.

25. quo says:

I have a gamestopping bug where, sometimes after completing a mission, the characters board the evac copter and you get the little cut scene/loading scene of the soldiers flying back (this part is normal). But when they land and you get the “Hit any key to continue” screen, the camera appears *underneath* the base and never moves, and you never get the screen where your units exit the copter and you get a chance to promote units. Even reloading the previous mission and finishing it again doesnt fix.

Even weirder, you can still hit Escape and pull up the Save Game/Load Game menu while stuck under the base. If you Save in this state, and try to load that Save, the game simply never loads, it just sits on the “loading” screen until you Alt F4.