Ah, Memories! Might & Magic Heroes 7 Revisits HOMM4

Might & Magic Heroes VII [official site] may be a bit of a disappointment, but Limbic Entertainment have kept plugging away at it. Now it’s kinda sorta maybe a bit-ish like Heroes of Might & Magic IV, if what you liked most about HOMM4 was its story? MMH7 has added a new free mini-campaign penned by HOMM4 (oy, these changing names!) writer Terry B. Ray. It’s based on an old script written for HOMM4 long ago, and Limbic are working on a second free add-on based on another.

The Lost Tales of Axeoth: Unity jumps back to 2002 (how time flies!) in a five-map campaign playing as the Academy faction, including new (old) heroes, new legacy artefacts, and even some HOMM4 music.

That’s nice and all, but check out this ridiculous collection of words about what’s coming in the second Lost Tale campaign, Every Dog Has His Day:

“Players will take control of the Stronghold faction across 3 maps, and more specifically the barbarian hero, Dogwoggle. At the height of his career, Dogwoggle was one of King Kilgor’s barbarian generals, but he soon learned that Kilgor was quite mad and leading the world of Enroth toward destruction. Having managed to flee to Axeoth, Dogwoggle now finds himself hunted by his former allies. As it turns out, Dogwoggle might be slightly responsible for the end of the old world…”

DOGWOGGLE! KING KILGOR! DOGWOGGLE! Fantastic.

Every Dog Has His Day was previously due in “early 2016”, but back then Unity was due in “late 2015” so evidently things are running behind schedule.

Patch 1.7 is also now out, bringing a few tweaks and fixes.

DOGWOGGLE!

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Anthile says:

I’m surprised they’re still working on this. To my understanding it was pretty much a flop, as was the Heroes before it. I very much doubt we will see another one for some time – until Ubisoft decide to beat that undead horse some more. The Might & Magic franchise is as dead as it was before it got bought out.
    This makes this return to the pre-Ubisoft universe even more bizarre. I am one of the handful of people who actually enjoyed HoMM4 but it’s certainly not going to make me want to buy this game.

• CptPlanet says:

Well, it’s much better than the previous one and it seems it’s getting better.

WombatDeath says:

Dogwoggle? What sort of slack-jawed halfwit would just bang together two ill-suited nouns when they’re trying to come up with a name?

3. morse says:

My memory about Might & Magic: sitting on my dads lap in the basement,’helping’ him play M&M Book 1 on a Macintosh Plus. We drew maps on graph paper, and the characters in our party became legends in my mind. It was my first computer game. Still love gaming with pops, especially since he lives in a different city from me now.

4. piedpiper says:

MMH7 is decent. Probably. Will be. When they finally patch it. Last time I played version 1.6 my hero forgot all his spells and how to attack. After 8 hours of hot-seat. Though I did really enjoyed those 8 hours before fail.

5. klops says:

Who cares about the HoMM games’ stories and setting? If yes, why? They’re not good and the world is full of things more interesting than the stories in HoMM games.

• Rwlyra says:

HoMM 4 lore was genuinely good, probably best of the series.

• klops says:

“Gelu, the leader of AvLee’s Forest Guard and wielder of Armageddon’s Blade, attacks Kilgor, the Barbarian King of Krewlod, in an attempt to claim and destroy the Sword of Frost.”

• khamul says:

No, it was honestly brilliant. The tone and setting of the Might and Magic franchise at that time was superb.

‘Dogwoggle’ is a perfect example. I am so sick and tired of *Drama Hero* fights *Drama Baddie* in a *Drama Time* of *Emotions* and *Dramaticosity*. Might and Magic plots might be about apocalypse and the end times, but the protagonist only gets involved because they went out shopping. The heroes don’t take themselves too seriously, and stopping the end of the world is typically a sub objective of a more important project – like picking up some fish&chips.

So yeah, this is actually enough to get me interested in HOMM7. Potentially. Though I might reinstall HOMM4 instead.

• froz says:

I was wondering the same thing. The story in the games is just terrible. Equally bad as the one in XCOM2. I don’t know why strategy games insist to have story if it’s always that bad.

6. Yglorba says:

They’re still making those? Why haven’t I tried–

Oh, right, UPlay. Pass.

7. Lord Byte says:

I actually still think HOMM 4 is the best in the series, ESPECIALLY the story-lines. And I liked pimping heroes :)

• wyrm4701 says:

Yeah, me too. Even if it wasn’t to everyone’s taste, it’s the last in the series that tried something new.

• Frank says:

Ditto on the stories being good. I particularly liked the pirate campaign.

Gameplay-wise, I find HOMM 1-2 easier to revisit, though.

8. waltC says:

Limbic really dropped the ball with M&M X. After the game shipped they stopped patching after a mere six months or less leaving many things undone and broken–what a shame, as they could have rebooted the entire M&M *franchise* with a far better M&M11. But they quit–they just quit–and went on to the Heroes game–which they also botched. Such a shame–so much potential just wasted.

To give you a good idea of the unfinished aspect of M&MX–the original games in the late 90’s featured nice paper dolls which, when new equipment was donned, changed to reflect the new armors, swords, shields, boots, helmets, etc. In M&M X more than a decade later–the player had to use his imagination because the static paper dolls in M&MX never change. Ever…

9. RanDomino says:

Let’s cut to the chase- is combat hexes or squares?