The Technomancer Trailer – Better Or Worse Than The Idea Of A Calculon Game?

There’s a new trailer out for The Technomancer [official site]. So far I had avoided Technomancer news and was kind of holding out for it to be a portmanteau of “technology” AND “ROMANCER”. Maybe there would be a robot who was using its robot powers to find love. I think I was imagining Futurama’s Calculon starring in a videogame of All My Circuits. I have now watched the trailer and am mourning the loss of Calculon: The Game because The Technomancer (as everyone else at RPS already knew) is about a dude who can control electricity. OBSERVE:

In case you are somewhere like a library and have no headphones I will describe the situation: There’s a Mad Max-iness to the aesthetic in places and a sci-fi Western-ness to the soundtrack and then a bunch of punchy-electrocutey-animal-fighty dudes. I didn’t actually get a decent feel for what the actual game involved aside from punching and electrocuting so at this point I turn to the press info which adds:

“Pursued by a corrupt police force, you must journey across these deadly environments and beyond, chasing a secret that could alter Mars and its inhabitants forever.”

The Technomancer will be out on PC in summer 2016.

But before you go just imagine how great Calculon: The Game could have been.

1. Bull0 says:

Priestbot: We are gathered here to mourn the death of Calculon; industrialist, private eye, friend.
    Calculon: Mind if I give the eulogy?
    Monique: Calculon! You’re alive!

2. Tei says:

I had a lot of fun with Mars Log and this have a je ne se pais to it that remind me 3/4. Basically, is a instabuy.

3. Chaoslord AJ says:

“Alter Mars and its inhabitants forever.”
    I think I might see where this is heading…

4. Hilloh says:

The world would be so much more interesting place if it was just as Pip thinks it is.

5. Zallgrin says:

Spiders games are always an insta-buy to me. Not everyone likes their rugged and shaky RPGs, but I find they really have charm and there is something quite refreshing about them.

Also, I really liked Roy Temperance and loved his ugly jacket, ugly haircut and ugly face, but hot damn, Zachariah – the new protagonist – looks amazing in his ultra fashionable clothes. (but the headwear in the game is killing me, zachariah pls stop)

• Luciferous says:

They always improve on what they did before and there is a certain charm to the jankiness they are slowly ironing out of their work. They are like the equivalent of a really good B-budget sci fi film and there is nothing wrong with that.

6. Hoot says:

Pip, I like your craic almost as much as I like Alice’s ;)

7. jonlost3030 says:

8. Stevostin says:

I’d love to play this so much if it was first person RPG.

9. eclipse mattaru says:

The trailers for this made me realize that I came to a point where the fact that a game stars Generico McGruff YET AGAIN is reason enough to “meh” the whole thing away.

Give me a voiceless customizable character so I can be a one-eyed purple-haired transvestite with a lisp, and keep you focus-group-designed stud to yourself.

• LennyLeonardo says:

A voiceless character with a lisp. That really is thinking outside the box.

10. Raoul Duke says:

If you want Calculon to race to the laser gun battle in his hover-Ferrari, press one! If you want Calculon to double-check his paperwork, press two! Enter now.

11. vahnn says:

I thought I was interested in this, but apparently I was wrong.

12. Unsheep says:

Hey, don’t blame the game for your unfounded expectations.

You expected a Calculon why exactly ?!

There is nothing in the game’s previous trailers, already released in 2015, and media information to ever expect a playable robot.

No, instead let us doom a game because you do not get to play a character you had no reason whatsoever to think you could actually play. That’s good journalism.

Above all, since when does a Technomancer translate into a robot ?
    That’s not what the ‘-mancer’ part means, not in any game.

Its like expecting a Necromancer character to be a Zombie, after all ‘necro’ means ‘dead body’ and ‘corpse’ (link to thefreedictionary.com), or expecting a Beastmaster character to be an actual animal. There’a a gap in your reasoning.

13. Davie says:

I can always appreciate blues + sci-fi, if only for the unintentional Firefly allusions.

I’ve found the promotional material for this game slightly bothersome though, and I think it’s because the protagonist looks like a far more handsome version of me.

14. Faeint says:

I had to make an account just to say there is already a game called Tech Romancer, for Dreamcast/Arcade.

15. Replikant says:

“[…]is about a dude who can control electricity”.

Electrodirection is the word, if we can believe Mr. Zelasny.

“[…]whom they named Maitreya, meaning Lord of Light, either because he could wield lightnings or because he refrained from doing so.”

Roger Zelasny, Lord of Light

16. XxBrentos9xX says:

Did anyone else play the Futurama game way back when simply to see the “lost episode”?…. no?

17. Bunny says:

Again, Focus is publishing something that looks pretty sleek in the trailer and turns out to be shallow and feels cheap, at best, once you’ve paid for it.

Other examples includes Blood Bowl, all of them, Styx: Master of Shadows, Of Orcs and Men, Act of Aggression and Mordheim: City of the Damned…