What A Life! Hitman Cinematic Recaps 20 Murderyears

The episodic new Hitman [official site] is starting in March, and here today is the game’s opening cinematic showing what Hitman (that’s his name, the game’s named after him) did with 20 years of his life. Some life montages might include moments like scaling a mountain and standing proud before the dawn, giggling and flirting on a date, moving in with your sweetie, the birth of the first child, tattooing a barcode on the back of your sprog’s head, their first steps, teaching them to ride a bike, receiving those devastating medical results, holding hands in hospital as your beloved ebbs away… no, Hitman hasn’t done any of that. He’s murdered a load of people with cool murdertoys.

Hitman has a prologue mission which shows how Hitman first met his murderfriends and murderboss, see, then jumps to twenty years later – after the events of previous Hitman games. This here is the opening cinematic, recapping what he got up between those two sections of the game. See if you recognise bits from Codename: 47 and Blood Money and whatnot:

That cinematic does not at all capture my experiences of playing those Hitman games. Where’s Hitman running away, doing laps around levels hoping to lose people? Why is he not sauntering into a secured area then shouting “OH FUCK!” as he realises he’s forgotten to put his gun away in his pocket? I’ll never be half the hitman Hitman is.

Anyway, Hitman is starting on March 11th, then sprawling out in an episodic, games-as-service-y fashion. Adam recently played a preview version and was not wholly impressed with the initial offering but hey, the game will grow and change over time.

Oh, and if you want streamlined murderfun, Hitman Go: Definitive Edition hit PC yesterday.

1. Banks says:

The marketing assets for this game have been spectacular. The motion graphics trailer, specially, was top notch.

The style of this Hitman is so on point: classy, european, playful and delightfuly “wrong”.

• sillythings says:

Absolutely agree. And I love how the inventory is just red with white silhouettes of the objects this time. It looks amazing. Especially to me, as a graphic designer and Hitman fan, this game is pretty much irresistible.

2. dorobo says:

nope.. not watchin it.

3. Sin Vega says:

I’d definitely watch a comedy about the bumbling, borderline incompetent version of Hitman we all are deep down.

4. Neutrino says:

The murder-meme was wearing thin months ago. It’s not funny anymore.

• Alice O'Connor says:

That’s not a meme.

That’s a joke which has overstayed its welcome.

There’s a difference.

This is my murdergarlic murderbread.

• Minglefingler says:

Are memes ever funny? I thought they were just a way for people who can’t make up jokes to feel better about not being hilarious. You know like when you were at school all those years ago and you sprained your ankle because the PE teacher was a massive git there was a certain type of person who upon seeing you sporting crutches always greeted you as “Hopalong.” Ha ha. It’s possible that I’m just a crotchety old sourface though.
      I smirked several times when reading the article so for me Alice hasn’t managed to murder the joke yet. I’d go so far as to encourage her to try harder.

• Minglefingler says:

Hmm, I’ve realised that I should have added “to do so” at the end there. Because I wanted to encourage Alice to continue to murder the murder joke, not seemingly instruct her to try harder in general. I was afraid that I’d manslaughtered my orignal intent of supporting murder based jokes. Ah now, that last sentence reads horribly, I give up. Unrelatedly; there are some crows at the window giving me funny looks. quite a lot of crows actually. Really, so many crows. Almost a…. no, I’m done.

P.S. What did the homicidal tattooist call his business?
        Murder Inc.

• Catchcart says:

Well, it made me laugh. So thanks, Alice. But good to know that it wasn’t funny.

• Person of Interest says:

You know what’s not funny? Going out of your way to be a wet blanket.

Murderizing everything, on the other hand, continues to amuse me.

5. int says:

That’s not how I performed the Lee Hong assassination. I stormed in and killed everything then ran out and kept the food for myself.

• Koozer says:

As I recall I spent quite a lot of time hiding in a lorry, and later started panicking when I realised the floorboards were squeaky.

6. unitled says:

So… from memory, The one in Las Vegas(? Blood Money, anyway), Tracking Hayamoto (the only tolerable Japanese mission in Silent Assassin), Traditions of the Trade (best level ever, in both Codename 47 and Contracts), A Vintage Year (Blood Money), and Hunter and Hunted (urgh, Absolution).

Really like this trailer. While they don’t seem to have done a good job communicating how the game will be released, the marketing itself has been bloody fantastic.

• heretic says:

The trailer where he’s jogging through the snowy forest while you get some scenes of this new paris level is one of the best trailers I’ve seen.

7. Plake says:

@Alice: His name is not Hitman, its Agent 47 and only the first game (afaik) is called after him ;-P

8. LionsPhil says:

What’s happened to 47’s face?

• caff says:

I got a bit confused by this too. My first thought was “he doesn’t look much like the guy in the film” and it didn’t even occur to me that “he doesn’t look anything like the guy in the games”…

9. Sinjun says:

Oh my god, that was so cool. This game has the best trailers of any game in years. Between how great the beta was and this stuff I can’t believe there’s still naysayers.

10. caff says:

Aw shucks. I was all ready to go hating on the new Hitman game until I watched the trailer above. Superb.