16-Player Kart Combat: Obliteracers Released

Squeezing 16 people into one room for a few tracks of Obliteracers [official site] sounds somewhere between a right lark and sheer hell. It’s a kart racer doing those kart racing things – driving fast around wacky tracks – but with a bit more of a focus on mayhem and carnage and other exciting nouns a destruction derby announcer might yell thrice. What’s neat is that, on top of online multiplayer, it supports 16-player local play with folks use things like laptops and pocket telephones as extra controllers.

Along with race-o-racing, Obliteracers has modes and modifiers like Survival, where drivers simply need to be the last one standing. Oh, and it’s got bots you can beat up, if you’d rather.

As this video demonstrates, Obliteracers can be played on any combination of keyboard, gamepads, on the keyboard of another computer, through tablets and phones by scanning a QR code and tapping at on-screen controller buttons, or on those black mirrors connecting through USB. That’s not bad, that. I like that the Jackbox party games are flexible with controllers too. From my time running local multiplayer events, I can tell you that a bag of 16 gamepads quickly becomes a horrifying electronic rat king.

Obliteracers, which was previously known as Space Dust Racers, is up on Steam for £9.89. Here’s the launch trailer:

1. Boomerang says:

Kart Comat? Title.

2. Zankman says:

O.K., you screwed up: This isn’t a “kart racing game”, it is a “same-screen racing game, featuring karts”.

BIG difference.

It’s not like Mario Kart or Sonic Allstars Racing.

Instead, it’s like Micro Machines, Mashed or, recently, Toybox Turbos and BlazeRush.

I don’t get how you can omit something like that…

The game still looks cool and that is all fine and dandy, but, I got my hopes up for a Kart racing game – and this is not it.

• MegaAndy says:

This game that no one claimed to be Mario kart turned out to not be Mario kart.

• Zankman says:

Please no smartassery, thank you.

This article lists the game as a “kart racer” and simply checking the game on Steam reveals otherwise; Not once does this article state or even imply that this game is NOT like your typical Kart Racer (like, say, Mario Kart) NOR does it state or even imply that it IS a game like Micro Machines/Mashed/Toybox Turbos/BlazeRush.

It makes me think that the author of the article didn’t even watch the damn trailer or read the most basic info on the game… Which I doubt is true, since we were informed of the interesting Multyplayer features.

Regardless, my criticism on this quite relevant omission of information stands.

So, yes MegaAndy, not only does this article not tell us exactly what this game is, but it also implies that it is something which it, as it turns out, isn’t.

• Boomerang says:

Looks pretty Mario Kart-y to me. Is your beef that they’re not ACTUAL karts?

• Zankman says:

Literally watch the gameplay video and you’ll understand.

My beef is that it is not the same (sub)genre…

• Bradamantium says:

First off, does this issue *really* require quite so much ire? Secondly…did you watch the same video as apparently everyone else? It looks like a kart racer to me. There are karts, they are racing. They acquire weapons and powerups from boxers strewn on the track. There is a starting line and a finish line. I’m not sure what it is you think you see, but I’m not so sure it’s what the trailer actually presents. True, it looks as if all players are visible onscreen, but the nature of the game means that’s a necessity for local multiplayer at the least and doesn’t make this Not A Cart Racer.

• Zankman says:

The ire was directed at the smartass response I got.

And, again, watch the trailer.

It is not a kart racing game, it is a same-screen racing game.

It’s very different.

• deadly.by.design says:

So, I’m genuinely confused. How does this differ from something like Mario Kart?

The pace is dictated by group and there’s no actual racing mechanic? Or what?

• Amstrad says:

Yeah, the cars are always in a big group, there’s no point at which a car will be way ahead or behind or get lapped or anything like that.

• DrollRemark says:

If I’m reading it right, the difference is that (ala Micro Machines), once you get knocked off the screen, you’re “out” of the race until a certain point (it gets to the last person left?), and then it all resets. Unlike Mario Kart, where you’re each individually racing around the track, and then occasionally coming into contact with one another.

• Zankman says:

The two responses you got summarize it; I say, just watch the gameplay video and it will be abundantly clear.

• deadly.by.design says:

…just watch the gameplay trailer and it will be abundantly clear.

To the casual observer: not necessarily. Maybe I’m dense, but I never realized someone would make a game where the karts weren’t actually racing. The concept wasn’t even on my radar in terms of game mechanics, but I suppose it was necessitated by the heavy local mp emphasis. I am positive that a decent portion of trailer viewers will come in with the same assumptions.

Thanks for pointing the original fact out, though! If you hadn’t mentioned it, I might otherwise have not picked up on it.

• LionsPhil says:

Most of the footage in the trailer is from “cinematic” camera angles which doesn’t convey that it’s a single-screen racer at all so, no, it’s not obvious.

• ooshp says:

No, it isn’t abundantly clear.

Most launch trailers use cinematic cameras, not the default gameplay camera, so they’re not terribly useful for making gameplay assumptions from.

• Zankman says:

I mean, man, it is clear, cinematic trailer or not; There are two trailers and you can see it in both…

… And the text is right there in the description: “same-screen”.

• TedMaulReports says:

This guy.

3. RimRider says:

Just bought it!

I’d say it’s about 20% Mario Kart (especially the replays – not so much on the gameplay side), 40% Toybox Turbos and 40% BlazeRush. I only had a few quick single-player games, but already it seems like it will be a lot of fun.

I had it wishlisted since forever, and today is my birthday, so thanks!

4. Xenotone says:

This is perfect. Me and my 15 friends were wondering what to play next. *sob*

5. Veles says:

Well I got it, we played a bit of local multiplayer but I can’t see what all the positive reviews are about. Game is a bit meh and it’s way too hard to keep track of yourself when you up the player count. Are we doing something wrong?