The Division’s Virus Simulator Infecting A City Near You

Honestly, that's fine.

Hey there, chum! Need something new to fuel your paranoid survivalist fantasies, a new excuse to buy a machete and 300 cans of beans or to see other people as mere obstacles on your path to a long and miserable life? I’ve got just the thing for you.

Inspired by the doomsday scenario of The Division [official site], Ubisoft have released a wee simulator that’ll let you see your very own city fall into chaos as a virus spreads and death tolls mount. For me, it does look like a grim Edinburgh Festival Simulator as bodies start piling up in The Stand Comedy Club.

Collapse is a browser-based thingamy which’ll show the spread of a hypothetical virus through a city you love (or hate). If it’s in the database. Give Collapse an address and it’ll pull up real street maps and other data sources to show how things will fall apart there – and how your decisions could affect it. Events will play out in real shops, hospitals, streets, and comedy clubs. By which I mean orange dots will appear and numbers will go up. Then it spreads to other cities and… I’ll not spoil the sunny ending.

Why not celebrate the launch of a game with a nice bit of doom and gloom? Share your best times with your pals! Oh, it’s just so dramatic. Everyone you know and love will die one day, you know. But possibly not as orange dots, and possibly not all within a few days.

Just think of the damage one Festival flyerer on the Royal Mile could do in 24 hours. None, is how much, as crowds part around them as if repelled by magnetism, and even hands begrudgingly outstretched to accept flyers for improv comedy shows about the novels of Jane Austen as recreated by Picard and pals on a Star Trek holodeck will somehow fail to close around the paper, letting it fall harmlessly to the floor.

Anyway, The Division is due out on March 8th. Adam played the shooter RPG recently and told us all about it.

Collapse has reminded me of ReRoll – created by some former Ubisoft folks, actually – and its plan to scan the world with drones and turn it into a survival action-RPG. We haven’t heard from that wild dream in a while. The latest dev update is from December 2014, and they have since made a different game.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DCEnygma says:

I typed in “Detroit, MI” and it just came back and asked if anyone was even actually still living there…

2. mpk says:

Google Chrome is telling me I need to try using Google Chrome to get this game to work.

I am highly confuddled.

3. lobsterboy says:

It took 25 days 18 hours for the world to collapse starting out where I live in San Diego.

Oakreef says:

For some reason they shipped me to a children’s hospital in Dulbin (half way across the country for me) when I was infected. And when discharged I suddenly moved to Dublin as that’s where I decided to try and get medication or vaccines (apparently vaccines are available for a disease whose first outbreak was like a week ago?) in this scenario.

• Minglefingler says:

Same here except I got sent to Belfast despite there being a hospital one mile from my house. I also wondered why I was able to swan around Belfast whilst people were dying from an infection that I gave them, how I was well enough to do so and why I was allowed to get on a plane? Maybe I was the only person to develop antibodies and therefore held the key to the cure but all the scientists were off chasing monkeys with Dustin Hoffman.

• dysomniak says:

The ambulance took me across 3 US states to a city with the same name as the one I started in. There are 3 hospitals within 15 minutes of my home.

• Gammro says:

Somehow I got from the middle of Siberia to a hospital in a big city in less than one day instead of dying in the wilderness.

• mukuste says:

I was actually impressed, they sent me to the hospital which is just around the corner from me and the pharmacy which is basically just downstairs from here. And I live in a small city in central Europe.

5. Ergates_Antius says:

“Ubisoft have released a wee simulator”
    Ewwww

6. Katar says:

Is this only for Google Chrome? It certainly isn’t working for me in Firefox.

It would of been interesting to how things turned out in rural East Anglia, but I’m not changing my browser.

7. Chem says:

My biggest mistake was going to the movie theater instead of getting my meds.

8. NiftyHat says:

I tried to set my starting point in Micronesia and it didn’t work. After checking the output log apparently I had crashed the code. It was non GG developers.

9. Creeping Death says:

Literally the first thing it lets you do after declaring a state of emergency is hop on an international flight. You. Patient Zero. (Who is also still somehow alive).

10. Stellar Duck says:

Oh come now!

When I said I would go to Tescos rather than Sainsbury’s I didn’t mean *that* Tesco. That one is total shite!

11. cpy says:

That simulator is total bullshit, you can’t start anywhere that does not have access to airport. Pitcairn Islands? Nope. Generally small islands in Pacific oceans are no go. Even real populated places that have boat every 6 months and nothing else, do not work. What a shitty simulator.

12. Captain Narol says:

Funny stuff but quite light, better go play Plague Inc if you want to get a real feel of how an epidemy spread and have some real gameplay !

13. Don Reba says:

Great idea! Hopefully someone makes a real game like this.

14. RaunakS says:

Huh I started in my hometown Howrah (which is right besides Calcutta) which has a population around 4 million and a density of ~500 per/sq km. Together, both cities have a pop capped at around 20 million people. So, as you can imagine, the collapse came pretty quick.

25 Days. Total deaths: 700 169 854. Infected: 1 539 524 596.

melnificent says:

A fun diversion. But I’d crawl under the bed covers and drink tea until I got better or died. International flights, wandering across the city for meds, etc… nope, I want my warmish bed and a warmish cup of tea.

16. gbrading says:

Well, that was pretty depressing, but probably fairly accurate. If there was a major highly contagious pandemic I think civilization would struggle to contain it.

Harlander says:

Huh. It’s like a prettier, less-interactive Plague Inc. from the least fun point-of-view available in the disease-initiated end of civilisation :p

18. SMGreer says:

Started in Glasgow, went to southern general, then Boots(cause fuck Boots) and chose to go to the Glasgow Film Theater distribution center for my vaccine, in the hope I might get to see another rerun of Blade Runner before the end of the world.

25 days it took for society to collapse but I still refuse to believe anything but the sun’s own inevitable death could wipe out the population of Glasgow.

Also, this is a comically bleak simulation, devoid of even the most basic common sense and ignoring many real world procedures and contingencies to avoid this very scenario. What, the workers at a Nuclear power plant are just like “Yeah, I’m well aware after a couple of days the plant will stop working and we’ll all be definitely killed by radiation but I think I’ll just stay at home for a while.”

Still, funny, elaborate stuff.

19. fish99 says:

I wanna know how I infected 23 people on the way to the hospital when I have a car.