Dark Souls 3 Trailer Combines ’80s Pop With Murder

Dark Souls 3 [official site] will be with us in less than seven weeks, and the footage we’ve seen so far has been pretty blooming terrifying. The latest trailer, backed by a hauntingly dysfunctional rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors, offers another glimpse at life in the Lothric Kingdom. If, like me, you have “You Died” etched into the small section of your brain you’ve set aside specifically for From Software games, perhaps Lauper’s Time After Time would’ve been a more suitable soundtrack to append all the inevitable death. Either way, it looks darn good.

After nipping away from the wheel during Dark Souls II’s development to focus on Bloodborne, series creator Hidetaka Miyazaki is back at the (Fang Boar) helm this time round, which seems pretty clear from this here trailer:

Speed and a lesser-reliance on shield play were a huge part of the aforementioned PS4 exclusive’s makeup, which is something Adam found to be true in his brief stint with Dark Souls III last year. As you might have spotted above, like in Bloodborne, the protagonist character is often seen without a shield whatsoever, facing off against foes wielding two melee weapons. If you didn’t play Bloodborne – and have never managed to master the art of parrying up to now – this isn’t quite as tough as it might at first sound. Then again, it is a Souls game. So, yeah, it’s still tough enough.

Best of luck to you when Dark Souls III arrives on April 12th.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. DarkFenix says:

After being effectively stuck with a shield throughout DS1 I went as hard as possible the other way and never used a shield in DS2. I fully expect to play DS3 the same way, blocking is for pansies.

Vandelay says:

I initially tried to be a dual wielding character in DS2. I’m sorry, I caved. Back to my trusty shield and big sword to make enemies stagger.

Currently playing Bloodborne though and loving the fast paced ducking and diving, so could be tempted to stick with it. That could be because I have found its equivalent to parrying to be much easier. I could never really get the timing right in DS, bar the odd enemy with very well choreographed attacks and even then it was mostly only 60:40.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, you can also cast stuff with the other hand.

• eclipse mattaru says:

With the right weapons, dual wielding is quite the thing. The strong attack with a falchion or the Warped Sword on the right hand is a thing of beauty, and at 40 DEX you’re pretty much unstoppable. In fact, at times I completely forget about shields even being a thing.

The Fume Knight is kicking my ass badly, though :T

2. Wulfram says:

I found DS2 was pretty friendly to not using a shield too. Though I never really got the hang of parrying. The risk/reward compared to dodging or blocking always seems poor

• eclipse mattaru says:

Parry timings are completely screwed up in Dark Souls 2 –animations in general are horribly timed and would seem to be missing frames or something. I loved parrying in the first one, but I don’t even try anymore in SotFS.

• ComradeSnarky says:

Dodging is where it’s at…once you boost the stat that arbitrarily gives you more invincibility frames.

3. rokahef says:

That song is chilling as fuck. Kudos to the music team that turned a light, cheerful song into such a haunting tune.

Any idea where we could get a clean version of it?

4. McGuit says:

I’m terrible at the Dark Souls games.
    That said, can’t wait and already purchased.
    So going to die.
    Praise the Sun!

5. dethtoll says:

I still say that any Dark Souls trailer that doesn’t use Queens of the Stone Age’s “Everybody Knows That You Are Insane” is a shit trailer.

• Geebs says:

Arguably, a better choice might be “Do It Again”

• SlimShanks says:

Bad Company 2 had not one but two trailers featuring Millionaire. Not the full title I know, but for the sake of brevity…

6. int says:

I wish the game had dismemberment.

• Styxie says:

That certainly would add a whole new layer of complexity to corpse football.

7. Suopis says:

Dark Souls Bartholomew trailer is my favourite. It was easy to miss, go see it for chills.

Vandelay says:

Must resist until inevitable DLC and GotY edition. Must resist.

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m still hoping the 30 fps lock is just a rumor.

I mean, it’s not like Durante won’t have fixed the thing a single day after, but if the engine doesn’t behive at faster frames we’re still screwed.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Maybe RPS is hoping we’ll stop mentioning the edit button at some point. Well, mission failed!

• Oktober Storm says:

60 fps is confirmed.

• fish99 says:

Uhhh.. this is getting confusing. I thought I read last week that 30 fps cap was confirmed for PC.

Fingers crossed anyway…..

• Oktober Storm says:

I was wrong, 60 fps isn’t confirmed. But neither is 30 fps for PC, From Soft only mentioned that they’re taking the PC version seriously.

10. Darth Gangrel says:

Reading that Hidetaka Miyazaki is on board again made me think “there’s some other dude also called Miyazaki” and realized that Hayao Miyazaki and Hidetaka share the same last name. I wonder what a colloboration between those two would lead to?

11. Psychomorph says: