Postal Redux Remaking Vintage Outrage Generator

The year is 203X. Every video game is in a state of constant remaking or revamping. As soon as the developers finish and release a remake, they’ll hand the game over to a team who’ll start on a revamp, who’ll hand it to another team for a full remake, who…

The year is 201X (I think?). Not every game has been remade yet. But ye olde cheeky outrage generator Postal is the latest to be, as creators Running With Scissors are remaking and expanding it with Postal Redux [official site].

Postal, to briefly recap, is a top-down shooter from 1997 about a gruff-voiced chap who goes a-rampaging across town. It’s shock! megaviolence with a splash of silliness, with your man up to antics like lighting up a marching band and an ostrich farm.

The Redux is adding a new mode, the streak-building, score-chasing Rampage, and remaking the rest of it. But the remaking doesn’t look good. The new art looks like an old mobile game, with bland models and textures, and… it’s a shame, because the original had a nice scratchy ‘sketched in the back of an angry teenager’s geography book during class’ look. Here, compare this from the original:

With this from the new remake:

Click on ’em for bigger versions. Image compression mucks up the comparison a bit, but the Redux definitely has a softer, blander look to my eye.

Ooh, I don’t know. If you ask me, it’s all been downhill since GLQuake.

Postal Redux is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux in spring. This spring which seems it may never come. The original is still on Steam for £1.49 or on GOG at £4.19.

1. cakeisalie says:

Hmm… the graphics have barely improved. I’d go as far to say that I prefer the originals.

2. HeavyStorm says:

I do. I still have it on a disk somewhere, but the controls few very awkward nowadays.

3. Sin Vega says:

Postal was a lot less wacky than the sequels. Part of its charm came from its slightly trippy, disturbing feel rather than just LOL VIOLENCE. I’m not sure remaking it will really work. But then what do I know.

4. dethtoll says:

Postal 2 is a masterwork (especially the expansion’s “pigeon mission” or lack thereof.) Postal 1 was little more than an edgebomb — though, one that needed to be dropped, at a time when video game violence was a very real and very serious discussion — one that had implications on free speech in the US. Part of why Hatred fails on its own merits is because the era where that game might have made a meaningful statement is long past. It’s just jerking off over being offensive.

5. Herzog says:

The original US box was amazing. It even came with bullet holes. Still have it lying around in the attic somewhere!

6. Lodin says:

Postal 1 really was a child of its time. Like others have said it was way darker than the sequel. The guy you play as is insane and hears and sees stuff that makes him think everyone are demons.
    The main problem was that the controls really sucked and that made the game much harder than it had to be. I’m guessing this has been fixed since it’s also coming to PS4 and it might be better with a gamepad.
    I’m looking forward to it but I’m a bit weary that they retconned The Dude from the sequel into the game with both graphics and voice.

7. JFS says:

Heehee, Postal. I was young then.

8. buzzmong says:

How on earth are Running With Scissors still going when so many other studios (that have produced classic) have come and gone?

• buzzmong says:

*classics
      (I really really miss the edit feature)

• Jalan says:

Any studio that can weather the storm of crap brought about by an Uwe Boll film and a turd “sequel” in the form of Postal III is clearly not to be underestimated.

• dethtoll says:

The irony is that the Uwe Boll film might be the one movie he’s made that’s genuinely worth watching — though it helps if your sense of humor is calibrated to enjoying something like Postal 2 already.

• Jalan says:

…and staring at Dave Foley full-frontal for what seems like a period of time longer than it actually is.

9. Michael Fogg says:

>>>a gruff-voiced chap who goes a-rampaging across town

Heh, actually he had a voice more like a depressed I Am Weasel (to the point that one time I set out to research the actual voice actors), and his utterances like ‘The Gun Knows’ or ‘No one understands me’ were my favourite parts of the game :)

phuzz says:

Huh, I’d always assumed that Postal was 3d like Postal 2.

11. Axess Denyd says:

Never did find the game interesting, but I have always thought that “Kindling” was the best possible use for a marching band.

Capital-T-Tim says:

The earth is HUNGRY

The earth is ALSO THIRSTY

13. cpt_freakout says:

A Postal remake is the kind of thing no one was asking for, but which you got anyway. Like being gifted socks at Christmas.