The Call Of Cthulhu Sounding in 2017

Iä! Iä! I, ah, I told him “That’s no Deep One, that’s my wife!” Oh, you should’ve seen his face! For strange aeons afterwards, he couldn’t look me in the myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over my front! Anyway, where were we – the Call of Cthulhu [official site] game?

We’d not heard much from the game since its announcement in 2014, and even then we knew little about it. Surprise! Here come new screenshots, details, and word that Call of Cthulhu is due out in 2017. Expect stealthy investigation.

[Bum, sorry, I’d missed that Frogwares are off the game and Cyanide have taken over. Unspeakable horrors from eldritch dimensions must have gripped my mind, obvs.]

When Focus Home announced the game, Sherlock Holmes folks Frogwares were lined up to make it. But they’re out, and Cyanide Studio are behind it now. You might know them from Styx: Master of Shadows and Blood Bowl. Here’s how publishers Focus Home Interactive describe the game now:

“Call of Cthulhu is an RPG-Investigation game with psychological horror and stealth mechanics, set in a deeply immersive world. On a mission to find the truth behind the death of an acclaimed artist and her family on a backwater island, the player will soon uncover a more disturbing truth as the Great Dreamer, Cthulhu, prepares its awakening…”

I’m quite curious to see how this turns out. Heck, I’m keen to see anything – I can barely make out the ominous figures and shadows in these two dark, dark screenshots (see bigger versions on its site). Games based on H.P. Lovecraft’s writings often struggle with the transition from creeping suspense, suspicion, and fears into the realisation that we are small and insignificant and pointless pointless pointless then our minds blow out. That may say more about myself than video games, though. Er. So. Well. Adam likes Dark Corners of the Earth, you know. Yep. POINTLESS.

2017 it is, then. I’ll make a note in my Necronomifax.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Infinitron says:

Frogwares are not developing this game:link to

Do your research, RPS

• Alice O'Connor says:

Ah, flip, sorry! My mind had glossed over the difference, categorising Cyanide and Frogwares both as “earnest, bit bum”. Fixed now.

2. Anthile says:

I’m not going to hold my breath. Focus excel at not-quite-there mediocrity but they never seem to improve. Although if it’s in the vein of Styx I’m a bit more optimistic. It’s probably not going to be an action game then.

3. Uncaring Cosmos says:

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing. There’s been no official announcement (as far as I can tell) but it looks like Frogwares have been replaced by Cyanide Studio as the developers.

4. preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

Hmmmm possible disappointment aside, I must remember this *reaches for his Necronomipod*

5. TillEulenspiegel says:

After a deluge of jokey Cthulhu games, it’s nice to see someone at least trying to make a game that’s more true to Lovecraft and the Mythos. Indeed, it’s based on its superb tabletop RPG namesake.

Unfortunately…Cyanide. Oh well.

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

Poor C’thulhu doomed to the fate of mediocre design and campy comedy. RIP God of Chaos and Madness ;)

Oakreef says:

I liked Styx and Game of Thrones. Currently playing Of Orcs and Men. They’re dialogue isn’t always great but I like their mechanics, their worlds and their overall stories. GoT had some shoehorned in bits (that part with the Valyrian steel sword was ridiculous) but overall I liked what it did with the setting and I really liked how Mors’ and Alester’s stories came together. Styx also was pretty clever with its Bit Twist™

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

Yeaa, sorry I was a little vague I suppose. I wasn’t referring to Cyanide specifically, but rather the various Lovecraftian games that have been released recently. Many have been disappointing.

We have gotten a few good ones though, Darkest Dungeon for example. While I’m not entirely sold on the gameplay itself, the overall feeling of madness and horror in that game is excellent, imho.

6. jj2112 says:

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

• Shiloh says:

Look here, I’ve told you before Reginald, don’t use language like that in front of your mother.

• Geebs says:

I wish the followers of Cthulhu would start using serifs. I still have no idea how to pronounce that.

• jj2112 says:

My mother? But I sacrificed her to the Old Gods…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yo momma’s so fat when you sacrificed her to the Old Gods they asked for a doggy-bag.

• Simbosan says:

Is that in Wales ?

7. dethtoll says:

Not familiar with Cyanide’s output but seems to be a bit on the negative side in terms of how it’s viewed. Let’s hope they crank out something better than DCotE though. Now that was a great game for an hour or two then it turns to utter shit.

8. Hakkesshu says:

Cyanide have never made a good game, why break the streak?

9. ResonanceCascade says:

It’s kind of hard to form an opinion about this with so little information, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

I’ve always wanted someone to make a Lovecraft-based game in the style of Arcanum and Fallout. Isometric, turn-based, robust character creation system, large, interesting world to explore. Get a pedigreed developer to stick that on Kickstarter and I’d be all in.

• klops says:

That sort of indie game was being on the works but it never seemed to go anywhere beyond concept art and idea throwing. Cyclopean, if I remember correctly. It looked/felt the same and used same forums as Age of Decadence and Dead State.

Lars Westergren says:

Interesting, it’s a bit like with Warhammer and PC games. Years with almost nothing, and then suddenly a glut of them. We have this then, and Witch House
    link to
    and Rise of the Elders, which seems to be more in the concept stages.
    link to

Agreed with Alice. If you have combat in Lovecraftish games, you have to introduce “low level” monsters like zombies and cultists, and keep the elder gods as cosmic threats. If they have arrived on Earth that should mean the end is already here, and not something that can be fixed by firing shotguns at.

If you go the mystery/investigation route you need strong writing and characters and villains the players care about, like True Detective or Alan Moore’s The Courtyard/Neonomicon. You can’t just try to “build suspense” by hinting at missing persons and creaky old houses with hooded figures skulking around, because as players we know what this is always leading towards.

As for Cyanide, I haven’t played any of their later games, but I have had the impression that they are getting better and better quality-wise compared to their early stuff? None of Game of Thrones, of Orcs and Men and Styx have become huge hits or cult classics, but they got a few really good reviews, and I think most of the worst reviews usually said they were “lacking something” rather than being outright disasters.

• preshrunk_cyberpunk says:

What if the guns you’re firing at C’Thulhu fire miniature nuclear reactors?

Oakreef says:

I’ve never read any of the stories myself but in my understanding don’t some people actually manage to badly hurt Cthulhu in one of the stories by ramming a ship into him?

Lars Westergren says:

Hmm, right you are I had conveniently managed to forget that. It is the short story called just “Call of Cthulhu”. Though Cthulhu is immediately reforming, so I guess this just delayed it enough for the “alignment of the stars” to change and the gate closing again.

They don’t always make complete sense, his stories.

11. Uncaring Cosmos says:

Well, in the manner of a good Call of Cthulhu investigator, I did a bit more digging… and it turns out that Frogwares might STILL be working on a Lovecraftian game (just not an official ‘Call of Cthulhu’ game, based on the Chaosium RPG).

In December of last year, they were reassuring people that they would still be working on a Lovecraft game: link to

And then, as recently as last week, they were still confirming that they were working on it: link to

So, we could be getting two Lovecraftian adventure games! Maybe RPS could reach out to Frogwares / Cyanide / Focus Home Interactive to try to correlate the contents?

12. Turkey says:

Yay! Call of Cthulhu.
    Boo! Amnesia-like survival horror.

caff says:

Dark Corners of the Earth was something insanely special. So very handmade. I don’t think I’ll play many games like that again.

• ResonanceCascade says:

I liked it a lot, too. Not sure why it has a bad reputation, aside from being buggy (and it’s not even Troika/Obsidian-levels of buggy, either).

• Simbosan says:

If that’s the old PC game, I loved it until it bugged out so bad I couldn’t finish

• klops says:

It has bad reputation? I feel it was quite well-liked. My own interest on the game ended after you got guns and after you were killing few hundred enemies. The Dunwhich or Innsmouth (the fishertown) part was great, though.