Samorost 3 Has A Release Date, And A Breathtakingly Beautiful New Trailer

The journey of Samorost feels very much like the journey of designers Amanita. The first game in the series was a free quick-to-play web game built in Flash, but Samorost 3 [official site] – coming out on the 24th March – is a lengthy downloadable adventure following their astonishing Machinarium and Botanicula. From small beginnings, they’re now one of the most respected adventure teams around, and expectations are extremely high for the first full-length entry in the Samorost series. Expectations that looks rather likely to be met if the quality of the new trailer, below, is anything to go by.

Amanita’s games have been beautiful from the start, and the Samorost series I’d argue the most beautiful. Combining hand-drawn art with photography, nature with technology, they’ve always been spellbinding. The third game looks like it’s staying entirely true to that, as you can see in a huge selection of gorgeous scenes in the trailer:

That anteater! The worried moth! The animated playing cards! Oh, everything about it is so achingly pretty, and as ever, boosted by the wondrous music of Tomáš Dvořák. (You can listen to some unmixed pieces from the new game on their website – scroll down.) And there’s only a month to wait, after an agonising four years since it was announced.

Aminita have yet to slip up – it would seem very odd if they did with their flagship series. Fingers, toes, arms, legs and vertebrae crossed.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. cyrenic says:

Fantastic. I didn’t realize it was coming out next month. I might have to buy it and the soundtrack at release now.

2. JFS says:

That artwork alone is probably worth the price of admission.

3. NathaI3 says:

Looks amazing! I loved Samarost 2 and Machinarium particularly. Can’t wait for this.

teije says:

Exquisite style shown
    Gameplay will match in appeal?
    Fusion awaited

• Seraph says:

Samorost, Samorost2, Machinarium, and Botanicula are out, utterly delightful, and well worth your time if you want to get a feel for what 3 will be like.

5. Freud says:

I read and re-read. Not a single use of the word “lovely”. I think it’s against the rules to discuss Amanita games without using the l-word.

6. Jerodar says:

I never can get quite into these games, but I’m still buying this if only to listen to that exquisite soundtrack!

• Seraph says:

Really, what puts you off of their games? In my experience, Amanita’s games are highly accessible. My wife, for example, is not a big gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but she LOVES Machinarium, and played it from end to end in a few days.

alison says:

Not sure about the OP, but personally i was turned off these games because they turned out to be puzzle games and not what i would personally consider adventures. The lack of dialog is a big deal for me. I enjoy walking sims for the beauty and i enjoy adventure games for the dialog and plot, but when a developer puts puzzles in a walking sim i just find it to become un-fun busywork. I guess this sort of thing appeals more to people who enjoy Myst-like games.

The video is very beautiful, though.

7. Sascha23 says:

Oh man, my body is so ready for this lovely experience.

Also, that Floex score!

8. Rumpelstiltskin says:

I think this is what Dark Souls wanted to be.

• Seraph says:

?

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

Well, I just tried to imagine what Amanita guys would have done if they had made all those friendly, unpretentious, delightfully bizarre games and no one gave a shit. Probably wanted to punish the world and make it suffer. Just a random thought experiment, never mind.

• Spacewalk says:

When I saw that tin man pull that sword out of the ground I thought it was a bit Dark Souls too.

9. syllopsium says:

Yes! This and any future Portal game (amongst others) are on the short list of games I will pay full price for and then actually instantly play (rather than leaving it for years, i.e. Skyrim)

Then again, I haven’t finished Botanicula and really should..

10. GR says:

For anyone who likes Amanita Design games I recommend playing their free interactive music