What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Regular WAWAPPWPWAPPA??AW? readers will know that our John Walker vanishes into the woods at 5:30pm on Thursday and won’t reappear until Monday morning, when he crawls out caked in mud then slips on a pristine three-piece suit. While everyone else sends me a Friday update on what they plan to play or do this weekend, all I hear from John is distant howling over the moors and the terrible sound of rending flesh. You’ll know I rely on you to send in sightings for the good of us all.

This week, I have received a friendly message from John and grim silence from both Adam and Alec. Please, please assure me they’re safe. Have you seen them?

Adam: [I don’t know. I just don’t know. Adam, where are you? And where are your arms, legs, fingers, guts etc?]
Alec: [NO ONE KNOWS.]
Alice: Ha ha I guess I’m the first one here, right guys? Guys? Hooo I’m sure it’s fine. The cracking run of games continues round here. I still need to finish Californium, and I’ve gone slack on Devil Daggers long enough for pals to overtake me, and now Superhot is here for more superstylish FPS fun. I still want to start on Firewatch too. It’s been a cracker of a gamemonth.
Graham: I just received a replacement plug for my Driving Force GT, so my plan this weekend is to finally put some hours into American Truck Simulator. Failing that, I’ll be continuing with Life Is Strange and maybe trying to find a new game I can play over remote desktop from my laptop. Hacknet? Maybe.
John: I don’t understand what all the fuss has been about. I’ve been right here the whole time, playing Frogger.

This weekend I shall be entirely playing Far Cry Primal, which is finally out on PC this Tuesday a week after consoles, and yet Ubisoft are still putting me under embargo from making comment about it until Monday. Ladies and gentlemen, the games industry!

But I’m not scared of lawyers and giant corporations who could sue us off the face of a planet without standing up: IT’S GOT MAMMOTHS IN IT.

Come at me, Ubisoft.

Philippa: This weekend I am playing “tidy the house and then take pictures of it to show to potential tenants” for I am moving house soon. As games go this is not huge amounts of riotous fun but you do get into that zen cleaning state OR you get to listen to a backlog of podcasts so it’s not all bad!

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

Oakreef says:

Matt Lees is after convincing me to buy Devil Daggers

2. MiniMatt says:

Noting John’s new profile pic, I think all we’ve been doing in providing sightings all these weeks is giving him an alibi.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That image to me always looked like an on-set picture of John directing a movie.

Now he looks like Andrew W.K. directing a movie.

Vandelay says:

I am still uncertain as to whether Pip’s picture is taken from a Christmas party when she is wearing a Santa’s hat.

3. Llewyn says:

Pip, just think of it as Viscera Cleanup Detail LARP.

4. Faldrath says:

This weekend will be mostly about the racing: the beta of Automobilista is looking fantastic, while I shall also play some Dirt Rally stages and a race or two of Raceroom Racing Experience.

But there’s also Atlantic Fleet! I bought it after Tim Stone’s glowing recommendation yesterday, and I’m rather impressed so far.

(and there’s also Cookie Clicker. There’s *always* Cookie Clicker)

• GWOP says:

For one heart-stopping moment, I thought you wrote Automobilista.

link to youtu.be

• GWOP says:

Edit: I meant Auto Modellista. If only the game played as well as it looked. *sigh*

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I miss racing games where learning how to take a turn was about finding the ideal way to bounce off of the walls.

5. Anthile says:

I’m trying to play Retro City Rampage™ DX. A game so loud and hectic that, ironically, it makes me feel old.

• Anthile says:

Suck it, past me. I’m going to play Nuclear Throne instead.

caff says:

I’m continuing with short but neatly packaged narrative-driven games.

Two weeks ago it was Firewatch. Last week it was Californium. This week it’s The Town of Light.

7. LearningToSmile says:

SUPERHOT is super hot, so this. Such a neat little game, and I think I’m one of the few people who actually love the narrative framing of the gameplay. I’m a sucker for the retro-cyberpunk VR vibe.

Also probably going to get around finishing Firewatch and maybe pick up Californium.

• Schaulustiger says:

SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT.

Yeah, I’m not playing anything else this weekend.

• kament says:

SUPERHOT IS THE MOST INNOVATIVE SHOOTER I’VE PLAYED IN YEARS!

Currently doing katana challenge. Loving it.

• Blastaz says:

SUPER

• Marblecake says:

DECALESCENT

That’s what the thesaurus told me.

Anyway, yeah. That game, man. Soooo good. Even the story. Worth every penny.

• Foosnark says:

ELEVATOR PITCH is killing me. Love this game though.

8. crowleyhammer says:

Disgaea, onto the grind.

9. Unsheep says:

Saturday: continue my careers in Project Cars and MotoGP 15.
    Some hillclimbs in RaceRoom, their cars are so addictive to drive.

Sunday:
    Sins of A Solar Empire Rebellion, which I just bought on GOG.
    Continue my Stasis playthrough.

I heard they are working on a prequel to Stasis, which sounds fantastic, the first game is really impressive.

10. ashjxx says:

I’m finally playing Dark Souls!!! I’m currently getting trucked by the Capra Demon (three times now.)

Vandelay says:

Only 3? There are likely many more to come (although I recall getting through the Capra Demon reasonably quickly. As long as you kill the dogs fast, you can use the stairs to kite him. On replaying though, it took loads of attempts, so I just got lucky.)

Still playing Bloodborne on PS4. Really, really struggling with it now though. Playing the DLC stuff around the river of blood area and all enemies are a bit of a nightmare. I did dash through and reach the boss, but didn’t do too well. In the main game, I have reached the Wet Nurse, who seems doable, but I have read is a possible final boss. I don’t want to beat her and then not have access to the DLC.

Now a bit stuck with limited blood vials, so going to have to start grinding for those again, which is pretty tedious. The one thing I would change about this game is that they really should give you a minimum number of blood vials to get when you die, as you do with Dark Souls’s Estus Flasks. Even if it was just 5 that you couldn’t increase it would remove a lot of the dull grinding you have to do for them.

• Chopper says:

Carry on past Wet Nurse, the final boss is reasonably well flagged.

Thulsa Hex says:

Carpa is a bastard. A big, smelly bastard.

Andy_Panthro says:

Ah, the Capra Demon. There’s a good way of using the stairs to deal with him, but otherwise it’s a bit grim. One of those bits in Dark Souls that feels quite unfair, and that Lower Undead Burg bit I thought was a bit crap (both in how it looks and also it’s not very interesting).

You have some really “fun” bits coming up after Capra though…

[Also I still have Dark Souls installed, so I could help you out if you need a summon]

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Somebody didn’t get the Black Knight Sword.

• darrrrkvengeance says:

yeah, it’s so frustrating when those dogs trap you against the wall in when you’re trying to make it to the stairs. i find if i first fake to the right before heading to the stairs, though, i can throw them off the scent.

• Immobile Piper says:

Beat him on my first try with a balanced melee dude.

Lost several times with my second character who was a lightly armed sorcerer. Those dogs are staggering!

Worst thing about that fight is getting surrounded, try to get to the stairs, that should cover your sides, then just kill the dogs one at a time while dodging Capra. You might get pushed down from the stairs a few times in the process. It’s a tough fight if you don’t have good armour and shield. Good luck!

One last tip, for every boss fight and Souls in general: don’t rush. Everything has a pattern, recognize that and you can just dance around it. …Might take a playthrough or two to get there though.

11. Morte66 says:

Continuing Shadowrun Hong Kong.

A bit more Bioshock 2, to decide whether to keep playing or uninstall it and reclaim SSD space. Games are on a “dead man’s boots” SSD policy chez Morte, and I’m getting too old and incipient-arthritic for my left wrist to handle much WASD. BioS2 seems solid, but these days I need more than that.

Might have a go at the Crusader Kings 2 v2.5.2 open beta to give feedback, since it’s kind of Paradox’s last chance to put off their “we’ve lost the plot since the original devs moved on and our last three expansions have been poor to awful, but fortunately the sycophantic games journalists aren’t writing about this” mantle. CK2 is worth saving.

Might find some batteries for my Logitech Wingman something-or-other controller, and see what it’s like in the Shadwen and Dying Light demos.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts about this, if you see this reply and feel like writing more (interested third parties should also feel free to opine). Generally speaking, I agree with you that CK2 expansions have been terrible since the original bunch moved on, but there have been a few exceptions.

Discounting Sunset Invasion as a pointless interlude from the invasion of the boardgame designers (t. Johan), I thought everything up to Old Gods was good to stellar, and then Rajas of India onwards generally sucked. Thing is though, after a lot of balancing (mostly to nerf seduction, which still hasn’t been nerfed enough), personally I have to say that I do think that Way of Life and Conclave have been pretty good, mechanically. Fleshing out the interpersonal, political and governmental side of the game was definitely the way to go in my view, and despite balancing problems I think mechanically those two expansions are pretty great (my one reservation is Conclave’s pinching of EU4’s shattering mechanic and making wars drag on even longer). However, I do agree with your “poor to awful” assessment of Rajas of India (probably the old team but I still hated it), Sons of Abraham, Charlemagne (Feudalism in the eighth century? For realsies?) and Horse Lords.

Any further comment by anyone would be appreciated, it’s difficult to find decent CK2 discussion except on pdxplaza, something awful (both sycophantic), r/paradox (mainly help requests) and /gsg/ (doesn’t talk about videogames, as per the norm on /vg/).

• Morte66 says:

Well…

Way of Life:

Seduction needed nerfing, and it got nerfed, and it was nerfed some more, and it still needed nerfing and it still needs nerfing, and it’s been a long time not working right, now. There’s a selection of nerf/disable seduction mods on steam but mods disable achievements, which a lot of people care about.

But it’s not really seduction that bothers me. Way of Life as whole is just shallow, vapid, soap opera writing. It’s Dallas, not Game of Thrones.

Also, when you’ve saddled your horse to hunt the white stag for the 200th time (martial focus), you will be absolutely sick to the teeth and begrudge the mouse click involved. And if you take the business focus you will die of stress/depression at 37. WoL lacks depth, and subtlety, and playtesting. Or maybe it lacks devs/suits giving a shit about the results of playtesting.

Horse Lords:

The stuff that’s in it — being nomads and using the silk road — is OK, but nothing fantastic. The week it came out a lot of people suggested much more interesting ways to do what it did. If that were all, I’d say “not worth full price, wait for a -75% steam sale”.

But Horse Lords was also a bit of a game balance disaster. The nomads are very powerful, and their government system is very stable, and they spoil the dynamics of that third of the map.

That went on for about a year, whilst Paradox ignored their unhappy customers and moved all the devs to Stellaris or whatever. When Conclave came out a few weeks ago the nomads were nerfed, but apparently too far the other way. Now pissant little feudal duchies in Bulgaria or wherever are blobbing all over the steppes.

What Paradox should have done is (1) made nomads powerful on the steppe but not off it, and (2) modified non-nomad AI to not want to conquer low value steppe land. But that’s too much like work for the new “extract revenue from the loyal playerbase at minimum effort” world of phoned-in CK2 DLC. What they actually did was nerf pure cavalry armies with a few definition file changes.

Conclave:

The actual Conclave DLC, the stuff to do with the council of the realm, is quite promising. I have hopes for it, it gives you something to do in peacetime and doesn’t break much. It could be seen as one of their best DLCs, when we look back on it one day. The problem is the stuff that launched at the same time in the free patch.

There’s a system of infamy and coalitions against large expanding realms, intended to make things harder in the late game. This is potentially good in principle, and it tackles an issue that needed tackling, but is working badly in practice. And it’s failing in exactly the ways that players told them it would fail as soon as they published the feature list…

There’s also a thing called shattered retreat, which means that when you beat an army your kills are capped and the losers retreat a long way at high speed with complete immunity to damage, e.g. from Egypt to Normandy by land in extreme cases. Apparently this was brought in from Europa Universalis IV, where it is balanced by something to do with forts that doesn’t happen in Crusader Kings II.

And there’s a bunch of bugs, including the soul-rending matrilineal marriage bug where the AI just pisses your vassals away accepting bait and switch matrilineal marriage proposals it shouldn’t and you can do nothing about it.

After pretending for a while that none of the Conclave problems were real, and we’d all understand that they were great after they were explained to us, Paradox finally said “mea culpa” and started work on a fix. It’s in beta now, and it sounds like it might be OK if they make a proper job of it.

So I do have hopes for Conclave and 2.5.2. But for the moment I’ve rolled back to v2.4.5 which is the last build before conclave, and I turn off Horse Lords if I’m playing in that third of the map, and I use a mod to disable seduction in Way of Life since I don’t care about achievements myself.

One redeeming feature of CK2: you can easily go back to older versions via the Steam betas feature. They put it in there specially for people who want to wait to upgrade after patches, and it’s simple and effective.

• Morte66 says:

Sorry about the italics. I swear this board used to have preview and edit features…

• Aetylus says:

Its been a while since I’ve been to Paradox Plaza… Your post should be stickied to the top of that forum as the “last year, on CK2” synopsis.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Thanks very much, I don’t think there’s anything I disagree with in that summary. Personally, if I had to lay the finger of blame anywhere it would be Chris King leaving. I am not an expert in Paradox company structure, but as I understand it Henrik Fahraeus and Chris King were the two within the company that favoured a more simulationist approach, with most of the rest (led up by Johan Andersson, of course) taking a far more “boardgames on a PC” approach. With Chris having gone off to pastures new, I can’t help but feel that boardgameyness is slowly creeping in. EU4 was full of it, since of course Henrik did not work on that title. I could be totally wrong and get dozens of angry replies purporting to be from Paradox staff that love simulation, but the above is just the impression I get after being a fan since EU2.

Although of course, as Morte66 has already implied, the relatively low importance and testing time given to CK2 DLCs seems not to be helping. If its any consolation, I deduce from your post (your being Morte in this case) that you have not played EU4. If that is the case, let me assure you that EU4’s DLCs are far, faaaar worse. Common Sense, in particular, has to be in the running for least apposite videogame expansion pack name in history.

12. Agnosticus says:

Warcraft 3! After having played the Turtle Rock Orcs vs Humans Mod of Starcraft 2, I got hooked on it again and will be playing the original game this weekend.

Also I’ll be trying out the remake of the original Starcraft campagne, again via Starcraft 2 Arcade :)

Furthermore some of the free Sega games and some of the new HIB games.

13. Minglefingler says:

Pillars of Eternity again, I’ve got over 100 hours on this playthrough but my progress has stalled due to dabbling in other games, like Distant Worlds which I bought when it was on sale during the week. I’ve played the suggested beginner game as a peaceful empire until I got to the point where I was far more powerful than anyone else at which point I turned into a complete bastard and started invading other empires and enslaving their populations. It got to the point where I had fleets and planets defecting to my enemies because I was such a twat but I managed to achieve my victory conditions without much trouble. This was despite me having not much of an idea what I’m doing. After my victory I kept playing and came across the Shakturi who are now kicking my and everyone else’s arses. I fully expect and deserve to lose my empire but I’ve still got a few planetary bombardments left in me.

Thulsa Hex says:

I had a craving for some Bioware vibes, so decided to give Dragon Age: Origins a whirl as it’s the only series of theirs that I hadn’t gotten my teeth in to. I bounced off the Xbox 360 version, extremely hard, a few years ago. “It’s as crap as Neverwinter Nights,” I would say to any poor sod who mentioned it in meatspace. Since then, I’ve read some nice things about it which made me think that maybe I should take a chance on the PC version, in case the controls made a difference. OH MY GOD the controls make a huge difference. I’m actually quite enjoying it, now that I’ve a mouse cursor and trusty space bar. It definitely flawed, but it’s much more solid than (my experience with) the console version let on.

Rounding that off, there’s some sporadic Devil Daggers (fantastic), and a now-perpetual Cookie Clicker browser tab (curse you RPS). These are two very different representations of hell. Although, maybe Cookie Clicker is actual hell? Uh oh…

• malkav11 says:

Oh yeah, Origins was by all accounts terrible on console. Unfortunately, from then on they decided to optimize for console first. :(

• photoheathen says:

“they decided to optimize for console first only. :(”

fixed that for ya.

• welverin says:

I believe it was Game Informer who gave the console versions score a full point less than the PC version solely for the combat.

lowprices says:

Visiting my brother in that there London, so limited to iPad games. Current favourites are Hitman Go and The World Ends With You, which is still the most interesting thing Squeenix have done since the ps1 era.

16. dahools says:

Just bought xcom2 from bricks and mortar. (£20 gift voucher that needed using) Will get to try to get in to it on Sunday when I’m home.

17. Vacuity729 says:

Empire Total War (with DarthMod).
    I’m not sure why; it’s shot through with flaws. I’ve never finished a campaign in ETW, but the sheer scope is irresistible.

18. redgore says:

Some more Fallout 4 for me. Having completed the BoS main storyline I am now building out my settlements :)

19. golem09 says:

After many years of waiting and all my university exams until this week…

FINALLY The Witness. And it. is. good.

20. Sorbicol says:

Still XCOM 2 for me. Second campaign, first on Commander. It improves on the atria is original in all departments, but boy is it buggy. Can’t quite contemplate playing it Ironman until they’ve been smoothed out a little.

21. elevown says:

Stardew Valley ! :) It came out yesterday – for such a polished and amazing looking (so far) harvest moon clone it’s a shame nobody seems to have covered it’s release.

Herzog says:

Still did not find my groove back after my one year pause with Spelunky, but the quest to reach the city of gold will continue.

Also Downwell. Changed to armspin style, can reach stage 4 more often now, but still dying quickly there. I am tempted to look up the endboss on YouTube in case I reach it again so I know the pattern…

Installed Kentucky Route Zero. Need something with a story here and there.

23. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Decorating, XCOM 2, hoovering, XCOM 2, cooking, XCOM 2 and then some XCOM 2. Think I’m playing it wrong but it NEVER ENDS! And now I’ve got 6 peeps per drop missions are taking me an hour+. Still loving every minute of it.

Also resisting the urge to get Superhot, it looks awesome and I will get it but so many indie games to play in my catalogue without adding more.

Andy_Panthro says:

I completed XCOM2 yesterday. Not too difficult final mission thanks to a couple of Psi-ops soldiers (one named after me, the other John. Alice was injured so couldn’t come along, and Pip and Alec hadn’t finished their training). Psi-ops are a bit overpowered, and I love it.

Going to go for a harder, ironman attempt next time, but with a bunch of mods installed.

Also this weekend, hopefully I’ll finish Firewatch.

25. thaquoth says:

I recently took a gander at 2015’s cacowards. And dear me, I’m right back into Doom. Didn’t really play for a few years, but it has me back. Hard. There is so much absurdly high quality stuff out there, it’s staggering.

So yeah. It’s all about Doom baby. Even been firing up the ol’ Doom Builder 2, sketching out a few maps.

26. Darth Gangrel says:

After giving some supposedly mediocre games a chance (Crusaders of Might and Magic, Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes) that turned out to be quite good, but still not great, I’ve longed for a truly great game and chose Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut. Man, that’s some nice stealth and world building. The sneaking/takedowning reminds me more of Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines than the first Deus Ex, but it’s a good feeling all the same.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

You are so right about HR being more like VTMB than DX1. I’ve been saying it for years, and have been frequently pooh-poohed, so it’s nice to see someone else that feels that way! (and VTMB is not a bad game to emulate, I might add)

• Darth Gangrel says:

What a pleasant surprise that someone saw my musings and cared to respond. Even better that you agree with me. VtMB is one of my favorite games, so the comparison is high praise coming from me. It’s my most played game on Steam (347 hours) and I played it lots of times (pre-Steam) before my discs got corrupted. It’s got crazy replayability and a small but dedicated modding community.

I haven’t played Deus Ex HR for long, only just taken a first look at the first city, Detroit, so my impressions may change. However, that early mission at the Sarif plant really reminded me of going to the warehouse in VtMB. Not only do the character models resemble each other more, but the idle animations of the enemies, the eaves dropping you can accomplish when ghosting and other things all makes me think of VtMB rather than Deus Ex 1.

27. Andrew says:

Replaying “Condemned: Criminal Origins” (thanks, Sega!). After tweaking here and there and figuring out hot to disable HID-compliant devices, but not all of them, so my Steam Controller still work, it’s great! And it’s a murder mystery without boring stuff (:P, John). I this close from going on a hunt for sequel for my PS3 now.

• Isometric says:

The sequel to Condemned was so disappointing for me. Pretty much zero detective bits and all homeless slaughter and the story is just even more ridiculous.

28. mrwonko says:

Swallowed my pride and restarted XCOM2 on Rookie, much easier now, but very enjoyable. Turned on Ironman to compensate, yet still haven’t lost a single soldier so far… I’ll have to replay on Veteran once I’m done.

• JFS says:

I’m with you. And Rookie isn’t exactly easy. It’s more forgiving, though, so you can actually learn the game before dying all over.

29. Dread Quixadhal says:

Black Desert Online, when it starts up tomorrow morning. Today, I’ll likely log into WoW, get bored, and then go play XCOM 2. Or… I might load up Pillars of Eternity again now that the new expansion is out.

30. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

The field! Hehehe… The field….,,no. Em, that top Downey free shooter from Sega.. Desert strikey thing. Rogue whatnot?

31. vorador says:

Wearing down my mouse button on Grim Dawn, now that is out of Early Access.

Trying out a new Occultist/Shaman build and it’s been a lot of fun. Much better IMHO that my old Blademaster build that lacked crowd control.

32. Fenix says:

Won’t be playing anything except maybe a couple of Isaac runs, too busy watching the massive drama thats going on at the Dota 2 Shanghai major unfold… I mean, it has GABE NEWELL himself personally involved in it!

33. Sarfrin says:

Excellent! Do Alec as a sparkly vampire next.

34. savagegreywolf says:

I’m playing Stardew Valley and so should you.

• Fiatil says:

I am worried that this game will consume my soul, but I think I’m about to buy it.

• elevown says:

I am :)

• Kitsunin says:

Mm-hmm, I am now. Thus far it feels like Harvest Moon, done by smart people with a lot of respect for the series, essentially all the best parts, none of the worst.

Which is fantastic, because every damn Harvest Moon (Story of Seasons, Rune Factory, etc.) seems to do one aspect really well, while botching so many things that have already been perfected in an earlier game. So ultimately, mediocre. Stardew looks to be legitimately great thus far.

35. malkav11 says:

Well, the map bug is still present but I’ve determined that you don’t actually -need- the map to play Firewatch so I have been doing that. Will likely finish today. Presumably I will also do my free weekly draft in Hex and putter a bit more with the campaign.

I would play some Grim Dawn (and may yet), but my clicking hand is feeling a bit dodgy so probably not today, perhaps not this weekend. Pillars of Eternity is also on the list but while it’s not as click intensive may have to be sidelined for similar reasons. It may be a weekend of Let’s Plays and catching up on cinema/TV for me outside of the first two games I mentioned. Hard to say.

There will probably also be some cooking. I have fixings for a pasta dish with red onions, black beans and chorizo, and I wanted to also make a jerk chicken and onions dish but the local supermarket I shop at failed to have the boneless thighs called for by the recipe. Trader Joe’s probably will but I have to, you know, get dressed and go outside for that so even odds.

• csbear says:

I am also playing Grim Dawn and Pillars of Eternity right now, but just jumped into Unreal World for the first time.

I also want a pasta dish with red onions, black beans and chorizo…

Doppelganger?

• Immobile Piper says:

Only time I ate black beans was from some Chinese takeaway. Tasted more like. Their stench was overwhelmingly disgusting, the entire room smelled and made the two of us incapable of eating the damn thing.

I do wonder, do black beans have an odour you just have to learn to cope with or did the restaurant prepare them in some weird way?

• malkav11 says:

These are the sort of black beans you’d see used in the American Southwest or maybe Mexico. My understanding is that Chinese recipes more usually use fermented black soybeans: link to en.wikipedia.org
        I’ve never had or used those.

• Immobile Piper says:

I imagine fermentation would do the trick. I should give black beans another go then. I’ve been avoiding them since that fateful day.

• Kitsunin says:

If you haven’t eaten black beans, what sort have you eaten? Perhaps it’s because I’m American, but they’re practically the only kind of bean I had eaten, soups aside.

Of course now that I live in Taiwan it’s all about the red beans. Served in the traditional way…sweet…they’re mediocre. In savory dishes they’re fine, like slightly subpar black beans.

• Immobile Piper says:

Some sort of white beans from a can. Goes well with bacon, not much of a bean man otherwise. Black or red beans aren’t really a thing here in the Nordic.

36. xalcupa says:

Well well, thanks to a RPS poster I found a a hidden but little rough gem in Mars War Logs. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Only annoying thing is I am traveling the whole of next week so no play :(

37. Kitsunin says:

I’ve been playing Street Fighter V, because I play fighting games pretty much exclusively online and, living in SEA, I can’t feasibly play anything but Street Fighter, and I kind of disliked IV, thusly didn’t buy Ultra, so I can’t be playing that.

As a package, SFV is incomplete as hell, but that core experience of popping online and doin’ some fights is just too fun. Not having to re-buy the damn thing all over again every year or so to play online, even if I don’t care about the new content? Yeah, that’s pretty nice too.

• Kitsunin says:

Oh, and the only reason I went ahead and bought it is because of Steam refunds. Being able to play something for an hour and a half before making the final call on whether it’s truly worth my cash? Fantastic.

38. fish99 says:

Wind Waker HD, the game I bought a Wii U for. It’s making me wish I’d played all the Zelda games, but we never owned the NES/SNES (we had the C64/Atari ST/Commodore Amiga) so never got into them back then.

Some of the game mechanics are a bit clunky but it’s an awesome game and I’m loving the story, characters, puzzles, dungeons and just how pretty it is.

I’m also currently playing through A Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time on my 3DS.

• welverin says:

I think with those two systems you can catch up on pretty much the entire series between backwards compatibility, ports, and the Virtual Console.

• Koozer says:

When you’re done with them make sure you get your hands on Link to the Past. If you like the top-down style, you could then go for Link’s Awakening or Oracle of Seasons/Ages (a dual release a la Pokemon, with slightly different maps, items, mechanics and villains).

If you prefer the 3D, you could go for Twilight Princess (like Orcarina), Skyward Sword (similar-ish to Wind Waker) or Majora’s Mask (an interesting departure from the normal formula)

• fish99 says:

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I will definitely get Twilight Princess HD, and I already own Majora’s Mask for 3DS. Dunno if Skyward Sword is in line for a HD Wii U release. Link To The Past I definitely want to play too, but the older 8-bit ones probably look too old now.

• Immobile Piper says:

I’m going through Ocarina on N64 myself. Looking for the third shiny stone at the moment. It’s been quite enjoyable, though as always with these kinds of games I do occasionally wish I could quicksave and quickload as much as I please.

Plays well and the story is cute. Makes me wish Majora’s Mask wasn’t so obnoxiously priced on the collector’s market. Might be a reason to get 3DS some time in the future, perhaps.

39. Zenicetus says:

I’ll be spending a little more time with the new Master of Orion alpha/early access. It’s definitely not ready for prime time yet. The engine seems pretty solid, but diplomacy is borked and combat needs work. But there may be a decent game here, if not exactly what MOO fans were looking for.

Meanwhile, my nominally peace-loving Psilons are plotting to take over the galaxy in the name of SCIENCE with their saucer fleet.

40. welverin says:

No idea beyond the standards (TF2, Evolve, SF5).

Maybe I’ll go back to Rise of the Tomb Raider, Destiny, start something new? Since finishing Assassin’s Creed Syndicate I just haven’t been able to get into anything longer or more involved.

Jekadu says:

I’m planning on playing “Clean the Flat”. It’s dreadfully boring, but people have been telling me I should do it for ages.

I’d rather play Elite: Dangerous. Darn, that game sucked me right in.

42. Synesthesia says:

SUPER HOT

SUPER HOT

SUPER

HOT

• Synesthesia says:

I might try to finish my second XCOM 2 run, and probably some boardgames later today. I’m feeling some suburbia coming up.

43. Iamblichos says:

Now that Dwarf Therapist is updated for .42.06, a whole lot of DF. I went back to Fallout 4 for a bit, but it got tedious (again). The gameplay is OK, but the missions and storyline are such crap it wears out after a bit.

44. quasiotter says:

Played Rememoried until I became stuck in a tree and accidentally reset the game and now I’ll have to deal with those endless cogs again

45. Jack_Empty says:

American Truck Sim. I tried the demo then it got me, now I’m excited about expanding my trucking empire. Ive found its not a game you can convince a layperson to appreciate the concept of. ‘So you just drive a truck around on motorways?’ Its a nice change of pace from sneaking/killing everything.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Finish XCOM 2. Started the final mission a few days ago but it was stressing me out so badly I had to take a break.

Play more SUPERHOT. Enjoying it more that I’m playing the Endless/Challenge mode. The game still feels like it’s lacking in a lot of ways.

Started playing else Heart.break() last night for about a half hour and I am already very charmed by it. Hopefully the hacking won’t prove to be too complicated as the only coding experience I have is a little bit action script over 10 years ago.

47. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Yesterday I played some Marvel Heroes 2016. Downloaded it, played it for quite some hours. Today I woke up and unistalled it. It’s a nice enough gameanditwas fun playig as Iceman (he’s the coolest!), but I’m not that into hack and slash games as it is and it just reminded me of City of Heroes.

I’ll probably be playing more Divide & Conquer (submod for Third Age Total War), dealing with the second invasion on Edoras playing as the Rohirrim. Maybe some Superhot, but it depends because I would like to dedicate some time to it.

48. darrrrkvengeance says:

i’ll probably try to finish up The Talos Principle as i’ve not much left there. and maybe finish a second playthrough of Undertale.

teije says:

Well, it’s finally Pillars of Eternity for me, and enjoying it muchly. Still not a fan of RTWP combat, but the story is interesting and the class variety quite well done.

50. thinkforaminute says:

An Arcanist slash Shaman character in Grim Dawn. Looking good so far!